It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jan 2018, 06:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (00:35) correct 46% (00:36) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

(A) with the intention

(B) the intention of which is

(C) intended

(D) and intending

(E) so intended as
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Originally posted by tenaman10 on 18 May 2009, 05:21.
Last edited by hazelnut on 04 Jan 2018, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Re: Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 05:31
IMO B

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.
(A) with the intention --> with + Noun + to ... is unidiomatic. with + noun phrase or with + noun + that clause are better
(B) the intention of which is -->the best: which correctly modifies for mutual funds, the intention of which is grammatically correct
(C) intended --> intended is wrongly implied in passive for asset allocators
(D) and intending --> ungrammatical parallelism
(E) so intended as -->unidiomatic
Manager
Manager
Re: Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 05:53
(A) with the intention. - must be 'with the intention of'
(B) the intention of which is - correct
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

C, D, E are wrong at the very first glance.
IMHO, (B)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 06:01
gmatee wrote:
Quote:
B) the intention of which is -->the best: which correctly modifies for mutual funds

Quote:
intended correctly modifies portfolios.

"intended" modifies which one? mutual funds or portfolios

portfolios. Because the clause containing mutual funds is non-essential to convey the meaning of the sentence.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 06:03
tenaman10 wrote:
• Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.
(A) with the intention.
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

Why A is wrong ..

I think verb is needed here. So only C suits.

IMO C.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 06:43
tenaman10 wrote:
• Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.
(A) with the intention.
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

Why A is wrong ..

intended modifies portfolios & mutual funds

C
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 07:21
Minheequang wrote:
IMO B

(A) with the intention --> with + Noun + to ... is unidiomatic. with + noun phrase or with + noun + that clause are better
(B) the intention of which is -->the best: which correctly modifies for mutual funds, the intention of which is grammatically correct

I think the underlined section should modify "portfolios" - the author would use other ways if he wished to modify "mutual funds".
Now, "intended" in C, a past participle, nicely modifies "portfolios".
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 07:38
seofah wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
IMO B

I think the underlined section should modify "portfolios" - the author would use other ways if he wished to modify "mutual funds".
Now, "intended" in C, a past participle, nicely modifies "portfolios".

Oh, I forgot that intended here can be an adjective. Initially, I thought intend is only a verb and it is wrongly implied here as passive

It's dangerous, there are many verbs which also have their adjective form. I can't remember all of them

So, re-choose C because it is better than B
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 08:21
C , imo

A changes the meaning of the sentence. In A , it seems that allocators are producing result.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) with the intention
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

The contentors are 2 why is one wrong. Could anyone help me on this

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 07:56
I'd say A is correct because B implies mutual funds have intentions.

Posted from my mobile device

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Nov 2010, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Asset allocators create portfolios, o[strike]ften in the form of mutual funds,[/strike]with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

To make things clear, let us score out the parenthetical appositive - often in the form of mutual funds – and it will then be clear whether - the intention - modifies portfolios or the allocators. It is indeed modifying the portfolios.

(A) With the intention - with the intention to - is wrong idiom. - Intention of - is the right idiom.
(B) The intention of which is - the intention of which is modifying rightly the portfolios (otherwise why will it say - of which) but the expression is wordy
(C) intended to - perfectly and crisply uses the participle intended to modify the portfolios.
(D) And intending - and intending is a fragment
(E) So intended as - so intended as to – ugly and unidiomatic
C - The clear and crisp choice

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 18 Nov 2010, 09:03.
Last edited by daagh on 18 Nov 2010, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:17
[quote="mailnavin1"]Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention to turn in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets.

(A) with the intention
(C) intended
(D) and intending
(E) so intended as

I chose A initially. I thought that the 'intention' was of the asset allocators. Finally chose C because it is the mutual funds that are 'intended to turn in good results...'.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi daagh,
thanks for explanations.

I would like to point out few examples of correct usage of the idiom "intention". The source is Oxford Dictionary:

intention / noun
[C,U] ~ (of doing sth) | ~ (to do sth) | ~ (that...) what you intend or plan to do; your aim:
I have no intention of going to the wedding.
* He has announced his intention to retire.
* It was not my intention that she should suffer.
* He left England with the intention of travelling in Africa.
* I have every intention of paying her back what I owe her.
* The original intention was to devote three months to the project.
* She's full of good intentions but they rarely work out.
* I did it with the best (of) intentions (= meaning to help), but I only succeeded in annoying them.

So I would disagree that the idiom "intention to" is wrong. I think you wanted to say that the way it is used in A is wrong.
For example if it were "Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds, with the intention of turning in good results in both “bull” and “bear” markets." it would be perfectly fine as for me.

Please let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:55
Pkit
You are perfectly right. In the given context - intention to turn in -does not fit in> Pairwise it may be acceptable as you have clearly made out

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2010, 22:38
daagh wrote:
Pkit
You are perfectly right. In the given context - intention to turn in -does not fit in> Pairwise it may be acceptable as you have clearly made out

my respect. :)
thank you daagh

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 01:37
C is better than A because

"Intended" ... verb form... correctly modifies the verb "create".... whereas "with the intension" is wordy, and "intension" in the noun form. According to Manhattan advance sentence correction section convert nouns to verbs to make sentence precise and short
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2011, 01:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to me, there are two problems with A.
The major one is that A is changing the implied meaning of the sentence. What is intended to give good results? Portfolios, or asset allocators? Answer is portfolios. A implies that the allocators themselves, not the portfolios, will turn in good results. That doesn't make sense.
Another problem is the idiom- intention of turning in is better than intention to turn in, idiom-wise.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2011, 22:30
The issue in A is wrong idiomatic expression.--with the X of is correct expression
not with the X to.
B-is wordy and awkward.
C-is concise and clear form to denote the intention of allocates.
D-create and intending to separate action performed by the allocates-incorrect
E--awkward and grammatically incorrect

C- is winner here
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2011, 02:51
rojans wrote:
The issue in A is wrong idiomatic expression.--with the X of is correct expression
not with the X to.
B-is wordy and awkward.
C-is concise and clear form to denote the intention of allocates.
D-create and intending to separate action performed by the allocates-incorrect
E--awkward and grammatically incorrect

C- is winner here

Can anyone confirm that there's a problem with the idiom? 'with the intention of [gerund]' and 'with the intention to [infinitive]' are both correct in my book.

I think the only mistake here is around modifyers.
Re: Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds,   [#permalink] 21 May 2011, 02:51

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Asset allocators create portfolios, often in the form of mutual funds,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap