GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2012, 03:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:25) correct 50% (01:21) wrong based on 788 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith
E) rekindling their faith is known for many people after a meteor shower is observed.
Manager
Manager
Re: Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2012, 05:06
ananthpatri wrote:
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower. passive voice +present tense is incorrect
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. Correct
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.redundant also have re-kindled is not correct in active voice
D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith. redundant also have re-kindled is not correct in active voice
E) rekindling their faith is known for many people after a meteor shower is observed.
E bad construction. Not clear who's rekindling
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2012, 02:34
It may not be correct to look at this issue in active or passive voice context. After all passive voice is not taboo in GMAT
Besides, there is virtually no choice without the use of passive voice.
‘Are known’ in A, ‘are known’ and ‘has been observed’ in B, and C, ‘is observed’ in D and E, are all in passive voice.
Another point is that the use of once in choices B and C does not gel well within the meaning. Once may be used to mean as soon as or at that very moment. In a remote sense, it may also mean that some people require seeing such cosmic phenomena just one time and then they are inclined to stoke their dormant faiths.
All these are general observations and generalizations. The use of present tense is acceptable in such instances, IMO.
Ignoring the passive voice insinuation, I would rather prefer A

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2013, 05:27
ananthpatri wrote:

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith

A. 'rekindling' of faith happened before 'knowing' that people have rekindled their faith. The use of 'have' takes the present one step back.
'after the observation of a meteor shower' - This means that the people have rekindled their faith only after the event of observing the shower was over.
B. Correct. known to have (knowing occurred after the people rekindled their faith). Has been observed - the shower had started but was not necessarily over by the time when people rekindled their faith.
C. 'many known people' implies many famous people.
D. Same as A.
E. Awkward construction. Someone or something is 'known for' or is famous for something. e.g. the garden is known for exotic flowers.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Oct 2015, 02:34
ananthpatri wrote:

The sentence contains a semi colon which means the part after the semi colon must stand as an Independent stand alone Sentence. Only options (A) , (B) and (C) presents such -

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower. - Distors the meaning.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. - Best among the rest
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. - Incorrect modification.

Can be straight away rejected -

Hence IMHO (B)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Originally posted by Abhishek009 on 02 Jun 2015, 07:58.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 18 Oct 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:59
Hi KyleWiddison

In my opinion: in B we are loosing subject "many people". B incorrectly implies that if anyone - including a satellite- observes meteor shower, many people's faith is rekindled.

Is my understanding correct? Am I missing something?

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 03:46
Hi Rohitmanglik,

I got the correct answer but must admit that I had the same doubt as you.

Who actually did the 'observation'. I basically selected the answer according to the POE.

rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi KyleWiddison

In my opinion: in B we are loosing subject "many people". B incorrectly implies that if anyone - including a satellite- observes meteor shower, many people's faith is rekindled.

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 05:49
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi KyleWiddison

I agree that the even though B is the correct answer it's construction isn't awesome. Truthfully, if I had written the question I would have used the last part of answer choice A with choice B because I think it is more clear in its meaning.

This question hinges completely on the use of the present tense vs. the perfect infinitive. Since people are known to have done something previously (rekindle their faith) we can't use the present tense as in choice A. Choice B shows that the rekindling was something that would have happened in the past. So, regardless of the meaning issues we might have with Choice B, it does not have the tense issues like A and is the correct answer.

KW
B
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 13:07
IMO A is better choice
Confused by OA
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 05:26
kanigmat011 wrote:
IMO A is better choice
Confused by OA

Yeah, this one isn't a perfect representation of what you will see on the GMAT. I can see that the question is testing verb tense, but it's not done in a way you would normally see on the GMAT.

Remember that test prep companies do their best to recreate the actual GMAT but you will find variances. if you see a question that doesn't seem to make perfect sense to you, check to see if it is from the GMAC or another source. If it's from GMAC make sure you understand what is going on - if it's from another source go ahead and move on.

KW

[BTW, this shows the sources as Manhattan GMAT, but it's actually a different company - Manhattan Review.]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 17:56
ananthpatri wrote:

I started with the simple things...
many people are known for smth
for what?
they have rekindled their faith
when?
after seeing a meteor shower.

A - so after each meteor shower, many people rekindle? is this a pattern? hm...
B - looks like this one is more appropriate - we have switched from to rekindle to "to have rekindled" - not bad. once a meteor shower has been observed - aha, so it's no longer a pattern. B looks better than A.
C - changes the meaning - many known people is different than many people are known...
D - oh my god...no! noo. noooo
E - this one changes the focus from many people to rekindling...not good. in addition, it leaves the same "meaning error" as it is in A...as if there's a general pattern..

B is the best.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 04:04
ananthpatri wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The rekindling referred to in this sentence occurred in the past. Eliminate A. The phrase ‘there are many known people’ in C is incorrect. D has the same problem. The use of the present tense in E is incorrect. The clause ‘rekindling ...is known for many people’ is also idiomatically incorrect. Choice B is the correct answer.
Re: Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light;   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 04:04

Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics