Last visit was: 15 Jul 2024, 13:45 It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 13:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [46]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42142 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2603 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ananthpatri wrote:
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower. passive voice +present tense is incorrect
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. Correct
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.redundant also have re-kindled is not correct in active voice
D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith. redundant also have re-kindled is not correct in active voice
E) rekindling their faith is known for many people after a meteor shower is observed.
E bad construction. Not clear who's rekindling
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [5]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ananthpatri wrote:
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith
E) rekindling their faith is known for many people after a meteor shower is observed.

A. 'rekindling' of faith happened before 'knowing' that people have rekindled their faith. The use of 'have' takes the present one step back.
'after the observation of a meteor shower' - This means that the people have rekindled their faith only after the event of observing the shower was over.
B. Correct. known to have (knowing occurred after the people rekindled their faith). Has been observed - the shower had started but was not necessarily over by the time when people rekindled their faith.
C. 'many known people' implies many famous people.
D. Same as A.
E. Awkward construction. Someone or something is 'known for' or is famous for something. e.g. the garden is known for exotic flowers.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4765 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; [#permalink]
ananthpatri wrote:

The sentence contains a semi colon which means the part after the semi colon must stand as an Independent stand alone Sentence. Only options (A) , (B) and (C) presents such -

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower. - Distors the meaning.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. - Best among the rest
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed. - Incorrect modification.

Can be straight away rejected -

D) after a meteor shower is observed, there are many people who have rekindled their faith

Hence IMHO (B)

Originally posted by Abhishek009 on 02 Jun 2015, 07:58.
Last edited by Abhishek009 on 18 Oct 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi KyleWiddison

In my opinion: in B we are loosing subject "many people". B incorrectly implies that if anyone - including a satellite- observes meteor shower, many people's faith is rekindled.

Is my understanding correct? Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Rohitmanglik,

I got the correct answer but must admit that I had the same doubt as you.

Who actually did the 'observation'. I basically selected the answer according to the POE.

rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi KyleWiddison

In my opinion: in B we are loosing subject "many people". B incorrectly implies that if anyone - including a satellite- observes meteor shower, many people's faith is rekindled.

Is my understanding correct? Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
IMO A is better choice
Confused by OA
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2603 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kanigmat011 wrote:
IMO A is better choice
Confused by OA

Yeah, this one isn't a perfect representation of what you will see on the GMAT. I can see that the question is testing verb tense, but it's not done in a way you would normally see on the GMAT.

Remember that test prep companies do their best to recreate the actual GMAT but you will find variances. if you see a question that doesn't seem to make perfect sense to you, check to see if it is from the GMAC or another source. If it's from GMAC make sure you understand what is going on - if it's from another source go ahead and move on.

KW

[BTW, this shows the sources as Manhattan GMAT, but it's actually a different company - Manhattan Review.]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Astronomical occurrences can be viewed in a religious light; [#permalink]
ananthpatri wrote:

A) many people are known to rekindle their faith after the observation of a meteor shower.
B) many people are known to have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.
C) there are many known people who have rekindled their faith once a meteor shower has been observed.

I started with the simple things...
many people are known for smth
for what?
they have rekindled their faith
when?
after seeing a meteor shower.

A - so after each meteor shower, many people rekindle? is this a pattern? hm...
B - looks like this one is more appropriate - we have switched from to rekindle to "to have rekindled" - not bad. once a meteor shower has been observed - aha, so it's no longer a pattern. B looks better than A.
C - changes the meaning - many known people is different than many people are known...
D - oh my god...no! noo. noooo

E - this one changes the focus from many people to rekindling...not good. in addition, it leaves the same "meaning error" as it is in A...as if there's a general pattern..

B is the best.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 641113 [1]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ananthpatri wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The rekindling referred to in this sentence occurred in the past. Eliminate A. The phrase ‘there are many known people’ in C is incorrect. D has the same problem. The use of the present tense in E is incorrect. The clause ‘rekindling ...is known for many people’ is also idiomatically incorrect. Choice B is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ananthpatri wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The rekindling referred to in this sentence occurred in the past. Eliminate A. The phrase ‘there are many known people’ in C is incorrect. D has the same problem. The use of the present tense in E is incorrect. The clause ‘rekindling ...is known for many people’ is also idiomatically incorrect. Choice B is the correct answer.

Question about B.
Why do we need 'has been observed'. Should it not be 'was observed'.
If we look at it from timeline perspective, 'have rekindled' after 'observed' makes more sense to me.

Can someone provide an explanation of why 'has been observed' here is more correct than 'was observed'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Question about B.
Why do we need 'has been observed'. Should it not be 'was observed'.
If we look at it from timeline perspective, 'have rekindled' after 'observed' makes more sense to me.

Can someone provide an explanation of why 'has been observed' here is more correct than 'was observed'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Anybody can help why A is wrong here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Why was D wrong ? Astronomical occurrences was followed by meteor showers

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
terrible question as per. weary of doing manhattan q uploaded on here
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 868 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6981 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts