It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [6], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (01:26) correct 64% (01:50) wrong based on 675 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining until birth.

A) a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining
B) fine, soft hair insulating the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, and these often remain
C) fine, soft hair that insulates the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of skin that often remain
D) a fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, and which often remain
E) fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until an accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, which often remains
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [6], given: 178

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Re: At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 17:58
very hard and interesting

I read the original choice and understand nothing,
I see remaining is not clear
I look for the correction of remaining in other 4 choices.
I see D is best.

am I right?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 20:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
B, C and E are all wrong because of 'accumulation of fat deposits' is wrong and in D the last underlined part ',which often remain' is modifying skin, where it should be modifying hair. Since hair is singular in this sentence 'remain' is wrong. Hence the correct option is A

Last edited by Swaroopdev on 07 Aug 2015, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8321 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 22:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The meaning is that at 22 weeks, a fine coat of soft hair called lanugo covers the body of the fetus, in order to insulate the body until fat globules develop to absorb the heat. This lanugo slowly disappears as the fetus matures and at birth, some of it might be still be seen in the newborn.

Apart from science, grammar wise, this is an example of how relative pronouns can play havoc with the intended meaning and how an adverbial comma +ing participle can truly reflect . The grammar clue is that all pronouns or compound subjects refer to wrinkles, with plural verbs, while the intended noun lanugo is singular

A) a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining --- This is the best choice with the adverbial phrase straight away modifying the lanugo
B) fine, soft hair insulating the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, and these often remain – in the second part’ these” refer to the wrinkles
C) fine, soft hair that insulates the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of skin that often remain - that refers to wrinkles - wrong
D) a fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, and which often remain – which refers to the wrinkles – wrong
E) fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until an accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, which often remains which refers to the skin—wrong.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 06:38
Hi Daagh,

I am just curious as to how "a fine, soft hair" can be correct. The "a" shows that its one hair..while the sentence means that its a coat.. of hairs..

Can you kindly explain.

Regards,
Dom.

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 06:55
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Daagh,

I am just curious as to how "a fine, soft hair" can be correct. The "a" shows that its one hair..while the sentence means that its a coat.. of hairs..

Can you kindly explain.

Regards,
Dom.

Hello dominicraj
I think this is correct usage because hair usually used in singular. Here are examples from Oxford dictionary:
• His hair curls naturally.
• His hair was shaved close to his head.
• His hair was tousled and he looked as if he'd just woken up.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 06:58
dominicraj wrote:
Hi Daagh,

Can you kindly explain.

Regards,
Dom.

a fine, soft hair is the definition of lanugo and not its plural form. So, it is justified there.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 9

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 07:04
Hi,

My emphasis is not on hair.. its on "a" an article. just to clarify. Will you say " a hair" is singular?

Regards,
Dom.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
dominicraj wrote:
Hi,

My emphasis is not on hair.. its on "a" an article. just to clarify. Will you say " a hair" is singular?

Regards,
Dom.

My bad I miss your emphasis on pronoun.

Sadly but OE says nothing about this split:

OE from Magoosh:

The meaning of the original sentence, as determined by (A), is important here. There is a fine soft hair that insulates the body. Technically, we could have a “which insulates the body” referring back to the lanugo, since the lanugo is the fine, soft hair in question here.

Either is fine, so a good way to attack this question is by eliminating wrong answers. The best way to do so is by focusing on those that change the original meaning of the sentence. For instance, (C) shifts the focus from the lanugo remaining until birth to the wrinkles remaining until birth. (E) does the same thing by stating “….skin, which remain…”

(B) also changes the meaning of the original sentence because “these” is a plural pronoun pointing either to wrinkles of deposits.

Finally, the tricky one: answer (D). Notice, the “which remain”. Remain is consistent in number with a plural noun. However, it is the “hair that remains”.

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8321 [1], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
As per custom, a fine soft hair stands for a fine soft coating of hair; such implied usages are not uncommon in English.

For e. g.; it is a great will that saw Japan through after a thorough decimation in the WW2; which particular will are we referring to? It is the collective will of all the people put together, right?

Marilyn had a bewitching look in her eyes. Are we referring to any particular look of her or her general posture?

So, I feel there is no need to split hair on that point. Probably it is a trick to divert focus from other more relevant problems

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8321 [1], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 08:52
daagh wrote:
As per custom, a fine soft hair stands for a fine soft coating of hair; such implied usages are not uncommon in English.

For e. g.; it is a great will that saw Japan through after a thorough decimation in the WW2; which particular will are we referring to? It is the collective will of all the people put together, right?

Marilyn had a bewitching look in her eyes. Are we referring to any particular look of her or her general posture?

So, I feel there is no need to split hair on that point. Probably it is a trick to divert focus from other more relevant problems

Can you please clarify if the information that follows OR defines laguno or is it independent ?

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:00
IMO, the latter is explaining or describing the Lanugo, so it is not independent

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:08
daagh wrote:
IMO, the latter is explaining or describing the Lanugo, so it is not independent

If so, then how do we justify the use of or between lanugo and the additional dependent info. ?

Is the usage of or correct to introduce an appositive describing the lanugo??

Please, explain, ... i am confused

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:13
I would't like to question a non-underlined part, correct or incorrect. Because the instruction is to dissect the underlined portion only.

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 09:29
if a soft hair bla bla bla...... is explaining lanugo then why "or" is being used?? also how does one know whether "remain" is being used for lanugo and not for wrinkles. can anyone explain to me thoroughly?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 19:10
Hi Daagh,

In this example that you mentioned I think we would rather use.. "it is great will" to show that it was the will of a whole lot of people rather than one person. For one person we would use.." it is a great will"

IMO "a" is usually used only with singular nouns. Can you provide a better example to convey your view point.. we can use "a" for collective nouns though.

Regards,
Dom

Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 21:45
Dom

You are welcome to differ with me, if my stand does not convince you, but what the original author had in mind, you should explore with Magoosh, notwithstanding that my stand stays

Best wishes

Narendran 98845 44509

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 05:56
Hi Daagh,

Sure. I understand that whatever I might think, I am wrong so at the end of the day your suggestions are right. But my thinking went like that and I ended up selecting wrong. :)

@Harley: Can you please post the OE now that we've had a good discussion?

Regards,
Dom.

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 06:09
Harley1980 wrote:
At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining until birth.

A) a fine, soft hair that insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, often remaining
B) fine, soft hair insulating the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, and these often remain
C) fine, soft hair that insulates the body until the accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of skin that often remain
D) a fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until fat deposits accumulate in the wrinkles of the skin, and which often remain
E) fine, soft hair, which insulates the body until an accumulation of fat deposits in the wrinkles of the skin, which often remains

OE from Magoosh:

The meaning of the original sentence, as determined by (A), is important here. There is a fine soft hair that insulates the body. Technically, we could have a “which insulates the body” referring back to the lanugo, since the lanugo is the fine, soft hair in question here.

Either is fine, so a good way to attack this question is by eliminating wrong answers. The best way to do so is by focusing on those that change the original meaning of the sentence. For instance, (C) shifts the focus from the lanugo remaining until birth to the wrinkles remaining until birth. (E) does the same thing by stating “….skin, which remain…”

(B) also changes the meaning of the original sentence because “these” is a plural pronoun pointing either to wrinkles of deposits.

Finally, the tricky one: answer (D). Notice, the “which remain”. Remain is consistent in number with a plural noun. However, it is the “hair that remains”.

Answer: (A)

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 07:08
grr8pe wrote:
grr8pe wrote:
if a soft hair bla bla bla...... is explaining lanugo then why "or" is being used?? also how does one know whether "remain" is being used for lanugo and not for wrinkles. can anyone explain to me thoroughly?

will anyone care to explain?

Hello grr8pe

lanugo is singular and remain is a plural verb. So if you see remains and no other singular nouns then remains link to this singular noun.

About "or" I tried to search but can found nothing so I infer that this legitimate style for appositive modifier. It sounds good enough in some cases.
(I trust to Magoosh so I don't see reason to recheck this style more thoroughly)

Re: At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2015, 07:08

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

At approximately 22 weeks, a fetus becomes fully covered by lanugo, or

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap