GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

B-School application experience with GRE score

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
B-School application experience with GRE score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Dec 2018, 09:30

Business School application experiences with GRE scores

With nearly all business schools now accepting both the GMAT and the GRE, pre-MBAs find themselves considering which test to take. The million-dollar question, of course, is “which test do admissions officers prefer?” but the answer to that question is “it’s complicated.” Each school has its own method for vetting candidates, so there is no one answer to what “admissions officers” in general prefer.

There are a lot of GMAT vs GRE discussion here in the GMATClub and I am attaching a few links at the bottom of this post. This post's main purpose is to find the application experience with GRE in words of the applicants who have applied to schools only with GRE score. In the next few days, I will be reaching out to several applicants who reported GRE in their application and solicit their views on the following questions.

Please streamline your response on the basis of following questions.

• 1. What was the primary reason for choosing GRE over GMAT?
  • 2. Which schools did you apply to with GRE score and what is your GRE score?
  • 3. Any schools that asked for a GMAT score after submitting GRE score with your application?
  • 4. Which schools did you get an admit with GRE score?
  • 5. Any other information that would help a pre-MBA student trying to decide on GMAT vs GRE?

GRE application experience with Business schools
UserGRE scoreInterviewed at schoolsAdmitted schoolsLink
howdytex2320 Q155 V165Duke Fuqua($$$)
Oxford Said
Emory Goizueta
UT McCombs
Duke Fuqua($$$)
Oxford Said
Cambridge Judge
ESADE
Oxford Said
Cambridge Judge
ESADE
McDonogh
Questrom
Ross
McDonough
Questrom
Johnson
Babson(Carroll)
Babson(Carroll)post

Note I will populate this table as and when I see responses. Please feel free to forward this to any applicant who submitted GRE score for B-School.

GMAT vs GRE

https://gmatclub.com/forum/average-gre- ... 61389.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/has-anyone-a ... fl=similar
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-vs-gre-257511.html

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Originally posted by workout on 17 Nov 2018, 06:11.
Last edited by workout on 02 Dec 2018, 09:30, edited 10 times in total.
Updated table
McCombs Thread Master
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GRE 1: Q155 V165
GPA: 3.87
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: B-School application experience with GRE score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 16:28
workout wrote:

• 1. What was the primary reason for choosing GRE over GMAT?
  • 2. Which schools did you apply to with GRE score?
  • 3. Any schools that asked for a GMAT score after submitting GRE score with your application?
  • 4. Which schools did you get an admit with GRE score?
  • 5. Any other information that would help a pre-MBA student trying to decide on GMAT vs GRE?

1. I choose the GRE as I had originally planned to go to graduate school for Hospitality Management (gre required) and had already taken a prep class. I did eventually take the GMAt after a panicked month of studying. Suffice to say, I canceled that score.

2. I applied to Oxford Said, Duke Fuqua, UT Texas at Austin McCombs, Emory and USC Marshall.

3. Nope. I also think it is important that I did not get asked to do any additional work before enrollment (I.e a conditional offer) even though

4. I got an admit to Duke Fuqua (with $), Oxford Said. Plus interview invites at Emory + UT McCombs. I withdrew all my applications after admitted to Duke EA.

5. I’ve taken both. Choose the test that plays to your strengths or if you career of choice (top consulting or banking require gmat). The tests are significantly different. If you have strengths in vocabulary or high school standard math- choose the GRE. Problem solving/ critical thinking and grammar - choose the gmat. Take a practice test for each to decide. I wish I would have done that at the beginning.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q161 V168
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Nov 2018, 21:03
1. I took the GRE as I was graduating college because I figured I would want to go to school within 5 years but didn't know for what.

2. I applied to the MBA programs at Cambridge, Oxford, and ESADE just a few months before my GRE scores expired and was accepted to all three.

3. Each school told me they had no preference. One (Cambridge, I think) told me that for admissions purposes my GRE score would be immediately put through a GMAT conversion and then no one would know I had actually taken the GRE.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by suwnase on 17 Nov 2018, 20:12.
Last edited by workout on 17 Nov 2018, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 09:03
Top Contributor
1. What was the primary reason for choosing GRE over GMAT?
GNPTH: There is no specific reason. Each test requires its own prep. I had both GMAT and GRE. But ended up applying with GRE since the percentile scores were higher in GRE.

2. Which schools did you apply to with GRE score?
GNPTH:I applied to McDonough, Kellogg, Questrom, & Ross

3. Any schools that asked for a GMAT score after submitting GRE score with your application?
GNPTH: No School will ask for GMAT score after GRE as far as I know.

4. Which schools did you get an admit with GRE score?
GNPTH: I got interviewed at Kellogg, McDonough and Questrom. And accepted to McDonough and Questrom.

5. Any other information that would help a pre-MBA student trying to decide on GMAT vs GRE?
GNPTH: Focus on a test which you feel will be best for you. And All school look at the overall picture, not just scores. For Internationals, especially Indians- Have at least above 320+ in GRE and 700+ GMAT for a fair shot at the schools. If your focus is on M7 & Ross, then GRE should be at least 325+ and above 80 percentile on Both verbal and quant. And I guess I don't have to speak about GMAT since many know about it. Follow Souvik posts about the applications. He has an extensive collection of those.

Feel free to reach out to me if any help required.

Regards,
GNPTH.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q161 V164
GPA: 3.42

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 18:44
1. What was the primary reason for choosing GRE over GMAT?

I took the GMAT 4 times and just could not get the hang of it. The way questions were asked did not make sense to me. I took the GRE and was immediately more comfortable with the way the GRE asked questions and the kinds of answers they were expecting. I ended up doing much better with the GRE and felt that demonstrated my aptitude more accurately.

2. Which schools did you apply to with GRE score and what is your GRE score?

Kellogg, McCombs, Johnson, BC, score was 325

3. Any schools that asked for a GMAT score after submitting GRE score with your application?

Nope

4. Which schools did you get an admit with GRE score?

So far, BC, have interviewed at McCombs and Johnson. Applying to Kellogg R2.

5. Any other information that would help a pre-MBA student trying to decide on GMAT vs GRE?

Truly, take a practice test of both. I have always been a whiz with English and grammar and just decently good at math, and the verbal portion was even difficult for me. The quant was much more natural for me, however. I would advise non-native English speakers against the GRE, unless English is almost like a 2nd first language for you. Also, memorize vocab for the GRE. Vocab is a HUGE part, so if you’re good at memorization, you might be good at the GRE verbal.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: B-School application experience with GRE score &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2018, 18:44

B-School application experience with GRE score

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap