GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.47
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 20:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:02) correct 48% (02:12) wrong based on 399 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born, lending credence to the notion that prenatal exposure to classical music can aid in intellectual development and apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others.

(A) apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others
(B) apparently assisting newborns that cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors in distinguishing their own mothers
(C) assisting apparent newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others
(D) apparently assisting newborns, who could not yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers
(E) apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from others.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.47
Re: Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 20:48
With the general notion to quickly recognize comparison sentences to use "those of", I guess most of us would select the option (A).

Any tips on how to quickly recognize such meaning based questions ?

svijayaug12 wrote:
Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born, lending credence to the notion that prenatal exposure to classical music can aid in intellectual development and apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others.

(A) apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others
(B) apparently assisting newborns that cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors in distinguishing their own mothers
(C) assisting apparent newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from those of others
(D) apparently assisting newborns, who could not yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers
(E) apparently assisting newborns, who cannot yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers from others.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2015, 22:46
One clue could be that the unborn babies logically need to distinguish their mothers from others and not from the mothers of others. Just distinguishing mother without indicating distinguishes from whom is also inadequate. We have distinguish ‘mothers from’ others only in D

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 00:16
I chose A too. Not good at meaning approach
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 05:25
assisting
is paralel to what,

do not understand
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 05:41
'Assisting' is parallel to 'lending'. Both are adverbial participles modifying the previous clause and the verb 'develop' in particular.

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 19:39
svijayaug12 wrote:

tough one...
the question begins with babies who develop audio recognition abilities before being born
then we have 2 ing modifiers that describe how babies develop
1. lending...
2. apparently assisting..

since we need 2 ing modifiers, and since apparently needs to be an adverb, we can eliminate right away C.
A - distinguishing their own mothers from THOSE of others - those refers to mothers - illogical so out.
B - newborns THAT - for people only who/whom is correct.
D - COULD - subtle error, I almost picked D.
E - looks good. the ambiguous THOSe from A is removed so E is the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 21:10

Mvictor please help me with option D...a little more explanation about the usage of "could"

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 01:42
An exemplary example of why we should FOCUS on meaning rather than crib about grammar all the time! Babies have to distinguish between their mothers and others and not other mothers.

In the pursuit of a better GMAT score. You can help me by giving me kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Status: Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Concentration: Finance
Schools: BYU-Marriott'18
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 19:35
sananoor wrote:

Mvictor please help me with option D...a little more explanation about the usage of "could"

Please explain why D is wrong?Could cannot be used beacuse...........?

"Follow your heart and realize that your dream is a dream for a reason"
-Dori Roberts

Manager
Manager
Status: Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Concentration: Finance
Schools: BYU-Marriott'18
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 19:36
sananoor wrote:

Please explain why D is wrong?Could cannot be used because...........?

"Follow your heart and realize that your dream is a dream for a reason"
-Dori Roberts

Intern
Intern
Schools: WBS '19 (A$)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.4
Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 20:20
D is also wrong because it has idiom error. Correct idiom is "distinguish X from Y".

Could is wrong because the sentence is in present tense and "could" is simple past.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 03:05
In D, “in distinguishing their own mothers” may absurdly mean that the newborns have more than one mother or even distinguishing their own mothers from other babies’ mothers. D is misleading.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 16:51
mahakmalik wrote:
sananoor wrote:

Please explain why D is wrong?Could cannot be used because...........?

Aside from the idiom approach, think carefully about its meaning.

"apparently assisting newborns, who could not yet visually recognize shapes and colors, in distinguishing their own mothers"

That babies develop audial recognition assists babes in distinguish their mothers. What do babies need to distinguish their mothers from?
The sentence in quotes leaves us with the impression that something is missing. Don't you think?
To add, the use of past tense "could" cannot be justified here, I would insist, because we want to talk about an attribute of newborns, something that is neither circumstantial nor changeable. A newborn cannot visually recognize shapes and colors. This is a fact.
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Account Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 06:11
Hi Folks,
In the given sentence, “lending credence to the notion that prenatal exposure to classical music can aid in intellectual development” is modifying the main clause “Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born”.

Second part is a modifying clause as well and should be parallel in structure to the first. Option E is shows a perfectly parallel structure.
lending credence ............information.......in intellectual development
apparently assisting newborns, ......modifier ..., in distinguishing their own mothers from others.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 06:11

Babies develop audial recognition abilities months before being born

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap