GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 23:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:28) correct 28% (01:49) wrong based on 329 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning: Boldface Revision Project.

Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic data about higher-than-expected growth in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) results in an increase in stock prices. However, this quarter, the release of data about strong GDP growth is most likely to result in a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices. Robust GDP growth will lead to higher interest rates, increasing the attractiveness of bonds and causing a shift of capital from equity to debt securities. In the above argument, the statements in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist; the second is that conclusion.

B. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.

C. The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a consequence that follows from that generalization.

D. The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the second is that prediction.

E. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not hold.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 12:25
I think the right answer is B. Wait for OA.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 20:02
The chief economist begins his argument by describing the usual relationship of
cause and effect. Thus, the first statement in boldface represents a
generalization that the chief economist accepts as accurate. The economist then
goes on to conclude that this time, however, the usual cause-and-effect
relationship will not hold and strong figures of the GDP will cause a decrease
rather than an increase in stock prices. To support this conclusion, the economist
offers evidence explaining how strong GDP figures may lead to lower stock
prices. Therefore, the second statement in boldface represents evidence that
supports the main conclusion of the economist.

(A) This answer choice correctly describes the role of the first statement but
incorrectly states that the second statement in boldface represents the
conclusion of the economist rather than the evidence that supports that
conclusion. Remember, the conclusion of the economist is that strong GDP
figures will result in a decrease rather than an increase in stock prices.

(B) CORRECT. This answer choice correctly identifies the role of each of the two
parts in boldface. The first part represents a generalization that is typically
accurate but will not be repeated in the case at issue. The second portion
presents evidence in support of the economist’s prediction.

(C) This answer choice correctly describes the role of the first portion but
mistakenly states that the second part in boldface follows from this
generalization. The second statement in boldface presents evidence that
supports the opposite effect from that described in the first portion. Namely, the
economist claims that this time, stock prices will decrease rather than increase,
as would be usual.

(D) This answer choice incorrectly states that the first portion supports rather
than weighs against that economist’s prediction. In addition, this answer choice
incorrectly states that the second portion in boldface represents the economist's
prediction rather than evidence supporting it.

(E) This answer choice incorrectly states that the first statement will be repeated
in the case at issue. Remember, the economist argues that the usual pattern will
not hold this time. The second statement is correctly described as acknowledging
a circumstance in which the usual pattern will not hold.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 19:06
1st serves as a counter premise. it describes a pattern that occurs each time smth else happens.
then we have the conclusion - it won't be the case this quarter.
the last statement presents reasons why the conclusion is true.

A. The first acknowledges a consideration against the main conclusion of the chief economist; the second is that conclusion.
second is not the conclusion.

B. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will not hold in the case at issue; the second offers a consideration in support of that prediction.
1 yes - the economist predicts that this time - the pattern will not be followed. second offers support for the prediction of the economist. looks good.

C. The first is a generalization that the chief economist accepts as true; the second is a consequence that follows from that generalization.
the economist does not accept it as true. he indeed specifies the pattern, but later mentions that it will not hold true this quarter.

D. The first is evidence that the chief economist provides in support of a certain prediction; the second is that prediction.
1st one is more like a counter premise.

E. The first is a pattern of cause and effect that the chief economist predicts will be repeated in the case at issue; the second acknowledges a circumstance in which that pattern would not hold.
1st - the economist says it will not be repeated this time..close - but not.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 07:13
The nonboldface is the conclusion. The BFs are the premises of the logic. B.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jul 2018, 07:13

Boldface Revision: Chief Economist: Usually, the release of economic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap