GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Apps time!
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Dec 2018, 01:03
2
1
21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:28) correct 40% (01:27) wrong based on 1554 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?


(A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

(B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.

(C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.

(D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.

(E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.

Originally posted by nitzz on 20 Oct 2012, 08:40.
Last edited by Bunuel on 24 Dec 2018, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1010
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2013, 01:09
9
2
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year.
Fact: Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released.
Fact: The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

Question: If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true? <== This is MUST BE TRUE question, so NO "new" information accepted.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
Wrong. TEMPTING. We just know data of the FIRST half of this year. What if total receipt in the first half is more than 20%, but will decrease significantly in the second half? ==> We can't say total receipts this year will be significantly 20% greater than that of last year. A can't be answer.

2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong, we don't know how many films were released in the first half of last year.

3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Wrong. Nothing about the price. Out of scope.

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
Correct. Assume prices do not change significantly. In the first half, total receipts is 20% more than that of total last year. But the number of film released is fewer (20 vs. 50) ==> Clearly, average revenue of each film in the first half of this year is greater than that of film released last year.

5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Wrong. Nothing about number of people. Out of scope.

Hope it helps
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1171
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 12:32
2
1
nitzz wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year. Not necessarily. If every movie that is going to be released this year bombs badly and generates no receipts the difference wont be significantly higher than 20%.

B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year. Not necessarily. What if all the movies last year were released in the second half.

C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year. This might infact be even the opposite of what is implied by the passage and is also out of scope.

D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year. 50 movies were released last year. Lets say box office receipts was 100$, Average is 2$. 20 movies released this year. 20% increase in box office receipts. So 120$. Average is 6$. Answer

E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Not necessarily. Ticket prices could have been hiked and hence the reason for increased receipts.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 934
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 04:20
2
1
I narrowed it down to D and E
Eliminated E as it says number of persons this year is more than last years ....may or may not be true because if a person likes the movies he will watch again hence the receipt will increase but not the number of different people who watched. though different is not mentioned but i assumed so.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2012
Posts: 140
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:11
MacFauz wrote:
nitzz wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year. Not necessarily. If every movie that is going to be released this year bombs badly and generates no receipts the difference wont be significantly higher than 20%.

B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year. Not necessarily. What if all the movies last year were released in the second half.

C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year. This might infact be even the opposite of what is implied by the passage and is also out of scope.

D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year. 50 movies were released last year. Lets say box office receipts was 100$, Average is 2$. 20 movies released this year. 20% increase in box office receipts. So 120$. Average is 6$. Answer

E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Not necessarily. Ticket prices could have been hiked and hence the reason for increased receipts.


Can you help me in understanding an argument?
How to approach inference question?
I always get confuse after seeing too much of fact.
_________________

Thriving for CHANGE

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1171
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:29
1
Aristocrat wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
nitzz wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year. Not necessarily. If every movie that is going to be released this year bombs badly and generates no receipts the difference wont be significantly higher than 20%.

B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year. Not necessarily. What if all the movies last year were released in the second half.

C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year. This might infact be even the opposite of what is implied by the passage and is also out of scope.

D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year. 50 movies were released last year. Lets say box office receipts was 100$, Average is 2$. 20 movies released this year. 20% increase in box office receipts. So 120$. Average is 6$. Answer

E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Not necessarily. Ticket prices could have been hiked and hence the reason for increased receipts.


Can you help me in understanding an argument?
How to approach inference question?
I always get confuse after seeing too much of fact.


This one is not a typical inference question. It can be called an inference and numbers and percents question. For these types of questions, I find it helpful to break the facts given point by point and based on these facts we can check each answer choice.. Generally on inference questions I like to pick the mildest statement first and check if it is true based on the argument and more often than not, the mildest statement would be the right one. This question in particular can be approached as how one would approach a quant problem.. That is an easier way when lots of numbers and ratios are involved in the argument.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2794
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 23:24
1
Aristocrat wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
nitzz wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year. Not necessarily. If every movie that is going to be released this year bombs badly and generates no receipts the difference wont be significantly higher than 20%.

B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year. Not necessarily. What if all the movies last year were released in the second half.

C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year. This might infact be even the opposite of what is implied by the passage and is also out of scope.

D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year. 50 movies were released last year. Lets say box office receipts was 100$, Average is 2$. 20 movies released this year. 20% increase in box office receipts. So 120$. Average is 6$. Answer

E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Not necessarily. Ticket prices could have been hiked and hence the reason for increased receipts.


Can you help me in understanding an argument?
How to approach inference question?
I always get confuse after seeing too much of fact.


Hi,

This is a question that goes slightly beyond the norms of a normal inference question.

Similar questions are asked in the two-part section of IR. We had recently posted a similar question, along with a detailed approach to such questions.

Click on the image to go to the question:

Image

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 03:00
1
2
arichinna wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.



hi,

let say :

total movies released last year(TMRLY)=50(given)
total receipts last year(TRLY)=50(assuming)

average receipt per movie= 50/50=1

now according to question
total movies released this year= 20(given)==>uptil first half of the year
total receipts this year= 20percent more than TRLY=50+10=60

average receipt permovie=60/20=3

therefore last year for every movie there is 1 receipt
and this year for every movie there is 3 receipt

hence clearly average revenue generated will be more this year than last year.

same is stated in option D

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.==>CORRECT

JUST you have to understand that more the receipt more the revenue...

hope it helps
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2013
Posts: 32
Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 03:28
Thank you Shailesh for the reply. I did a similar analysis like you did but I had come across one query which made me post this question.

In the answer choice D - "The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year", there is an implicit underlying assumption.

Revenue is a function of price and quantity. This choice assumes that the price is the same as compared to last year. No where in the question, it talks about price of the receipt being the same.

There is also one answer choice which talks about price (though that choice is wrong).

As per your calculation, even if the average receipt per movie increased to 3 in the first half of the present year, this choice will not hold true if the price had come down to one-third or less than that of what it was last year.

I might be wrong or missed out on a logical link but if you have any suggestions/comments, it would help.

Thanks,
Ari
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 03:52
2
arichinna wrote:
Thank you Shailesh for the reply. I did a similar analysis like you did but I had come across one query which made me post this question.

In the answer choice D - "The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year", there is an implicit underlying assumption.

Revenue is a function of price and quantity. This choice assumes that the price is the same as compared to last year. No where in the question, it talks about price of the receipt being the same.

There is also one answer choice which talks about price (though that choice is wrong).

As per your calculation, even if the average receipt per movie increased to 3 in the first half of the present year, this choice will not hold true if the price had come down to one-third or less than that of what it was last year.

I might be wrong or missed out on a logical link but if you have any suggestions/comments, it would help.

Thanks,
Ari


Hi ARI,
thats logical..you are thinking absolutely right....but actually the problem is understanding the meaning of RECEIPTS.

when the word "receipts" is used in this sort of context, it refers to the total revenue generated by the movies. in other words, this use of "receipts" is exactly the same as "gross revenue".===>It is not like ticket ....that will add up to give whole revenue.

if i say 50 receipts....means total revenue was 50

you can google out for the meaning of RECEIPTS.

NOW 50 dollar is revenue for last year..
and 60 dollar is for this year...

hope i made it clear.
_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 2
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2013, 09:48
1
Taking the above fact in both the cases.
Case1: price increased-> revenue goes up.
Case2: price remained constant-> again revenue goes up.

So in either of the cases the revenue is going up. So D should be the correct option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 276
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2016, 01:38
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 50
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 10:01
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 12:50
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 10:57
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3627
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 22:58
gandhigauravz wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.


Two things here :
1. We are given that 1st half of the year has 20% greater receipts. Hence, we are concerned only with the 1st half of this year. So, your point for the whole year is invalid.
2. If we are given that this year in the first half, it is greater, we cannot deny the fact and we have to answer accordingly. So, D is the BEST answer as per the premises given.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 01:32
gandhigauravz wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
I think the question here is flawed! Please consider the following :-

1. If "receipts" means money, then the answer would consider revenue.
2. If "receipts" means the number of ticket receipts/invoices found, then the answer would consider people.
3. If "receipts" means the total number of invoices, then those receipts will be both of the tickets bought and the food bought, from which you cannot conclude anything!


ravikrishna1979 wrote:
There is a total ambiguity on the word "Receipt" and which I feel is being understood based on situation and geography. Does GMAT produce such questions with confused words?
This questions is a flawed one as I believe otherwise please help how to handle such situation.

Becauase here D/E can be answers based on how one understands about the word "Receipt"


1. Box office means ticket counter where movie tickets are sold. Box offices receive money by selling movie tickets; they do not receive invoices by selling tickets.
2. Box office receipt is not same as movie-viewer receipt (ShashankDave your point no. 2). Movie-viewer receipt could be tickets, though it is a very odd term for the purpose.
3. Food stalls are not box offices (ShashankDave your point no. 3).

The usage of "receipt" is not ambiguous in this context - box office receipt clearly implies the money received by selling tickets.




Last year box office receipt rate was $5 and this year, because of X reason it has dropped and is current placed at $1 per receipt. Still you believe, D holds good... Need an expert advice.


The rate or the number of tickets sold does not matter at all. Following is the argument structure for this question:

Premise: X is 20% more than Y.
Conclusion: X is greater than Y

(Yes, it is so straight-forward.)

First line of the passage is the premise and option D is the conclusion - "receipt" and "revenues" are synonymous.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Posts: 6
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 04:11
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year.
Fact: Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released.
Fact: The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

Question: If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true? <== This is MUST BE TRUE question, so NO "new" information accepted.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
Wrong. TEMPTING. We just know data of the FIRST half of this year. What if total receipt in the first half is more than 20%, but will decrease significantly in the second half? ==> We can't say total receipts this year will be significantly 20% greater than that of last year. A can't be answer.

2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong, we don't know how many films were released in the first half of last year.

3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Wrong. Nothing about the price. Out of scope.

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
Correct. Assume prices do not change significantly. In the first half, total receipts is 20% more than that of total last year. But the number of film released is fewer (20 vs. 50) ==> Clearly, average revenue of each film in the first half of this year is greater than that of film released last year.

5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Wrong. Nothing about number of people. Out of scope.

Hope it helps


Why we should assume that price is constant, we are not bound to assume. Answer D must b wrong therefore. Moreover if you assume that then C is also correct. From my opinion A should be correct. E may b wrong because same person might come multiple times and have multiple receipts. So A is final answer.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2911
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 08:17
afarrukh786 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year.
Fact: Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released.
Fact: The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

Question: If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true? <== This is MUST BE TRUE question, so NO "new" information accepted.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

1. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year
Wrong. TEMPTING. We just know data of the FIRST half of this year. What if total receipt in the first half is more than 20%, but will decrease significantly in the second half? ==> We can't say total receipts this year will be significantly 20% greater than that of last year. A can't be answer.

2. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Wrong. Absolutely wrong, we don't know how many films were released in the first half of last year.

3. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Wrong. Nothing about the price. Out of scope.

4. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
Correct. Assume prices do not change significantly. In the first half, total receipts is 20% more than that of total last year. But the number of film released is fewer (20 vs. 50) ==> Clearly, average revenue of each film in the first half of this year is greater than that of film released last year.

5. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Wrong. Nothing about number of people. Out of scope.

Hope it helps


Why we should assume that price is constant, we are not bound to assume. Answer D must b wrong therefore. Moreover if you assume that then C is also correct. From my opinion A should be correct. E may b wrong because same person might come multiple times and have multiple receipts. So A is final answer.


Have you read the post?

box-office-receipts-for-independent-movies-for-the-first-156008.html#p1736699

Answer D is one of the most straight forward conclusions you can draw - no assumptions are required whatsoever.

If the total of elements in set X is more than the total of elements in set Y, then the average of the elements in set X is also greater than the average of the elements on set Y ( because it is already given that the no. of elements in set X is less than the number of elements in set Y). Here set X = set of independent movies this year and Y = set of independent movies last year.

Option A is incorrect because nothing has been mentioned about the sales in the rest of the year - there could be no more receipt from independent movies at all.
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1323
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 06:13
nitzz wrote:
Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

(A) The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

(B) The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.

(C) The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.

(D) The average receipts for the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.

(E) The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.


Argo

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION


The text tells us that the revenues for independent movies for the first half of this year are already greater than the total revenues for independent movies for all of last year. We are then asked to draw a conclusion based on that information.

(A) There is no way to predict box-office receipts for the year.

(B) There is no way to know how many movies were released in the first half of last year.

(C) We cannot infer that the price of a movie ticket has not increased.

(D) CORRECT. The average revenue per film = total revenues ÷ number of films.

Revenues: We are told that the revenues for independent movies for the first half of this year (say $1000) are already greater than the total revenues for all of last year (say $999).

Number of Films: We know that more independent movies were released last year (say 10) than in the first half of this year (say 9).

We can clearly see that the average revenues per film for independent movies in the first half of this year ($1000 ÷ 9) are greater than the average revenues for all independent movies released last year ($999 ÷ 10).

(E) We cannot infer that more people have seen movies in the first half of this year, even though revenues are higher. It could be, for example, that the same number of people saw movies but ticket prices have risen sharply.
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2017, 06:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.