GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school, BU vs BC?

• 41% [5]
  • 58% [7]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 13:51
saadim wrote:
P.S just to add amazon straight forward turned down a BU candidate for internship interview a night before it was scheduled. All the preparation and hard work for him went to drain. Thats how tough it is currently for both these schools. Unless for a full ride I would think 100 times before committing to either these schools.

I have not reason to defend BU but this is a far stretch that this cancellation had anything to do with the name of the business school the person attended....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Founder
Founder
V
BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 13:57
Apply2020 wrote:
Those not seeking jobs or for whom no job-seeking information is available are excluded.

My guess is that those who find employment get bundled in and those who can't find anything and go back home will be in this "those not seeking jobs" and get excluded. Feel free to ping any other INTL student you know who got in this year, or the previous year. Perhaps this is a new thing they are trying out.

This is a STANDARD procedure for HBS, Stanford, Booth, and all other business schools. This is not a new thing anyone is trying this year. This is how things are in any Employment Report. :roll:
You can look at the job report of any Top 10 school and then compare it to the number of graduates that year (or incoming class 2 years ago) and you will see that about 5-10% are missing from that list. It is because they did not fill out a questionnaire the school sent out at the end of the year.

P.s. The schools often exclude sponsored students, those who did not intend to look for a job - e.g. startups, and those who did not report back/respond.
Sometimes they will include the sponsored students since those are a slam dunk but they will put a footnote that outlines their number. This is a big number for some - e.g. Wharton.

Founder of GMAT Club

Originally posted by bb on 18 Apr 2018, 13:55.
Last edited by bb on 18 Apr 2018, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Added PS
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:01
bb wrote:
Apply2020 wrote:
Those not seeking jobs or for whom no job-seeking information is available are excluded.

My guess is that those who find employment get bundled in and those who can't find anything and go back home will be in this "those not seeking jobs" and get excluded. Feel free to ping any other INTL student you know who got in this year, or the previous year. Perhaps this is a new thing they are trying out.

This is a STANDARD procedure for HBS, Stanford, Booth, and all other business schools. This is not a new thing anyone is trying this year. This is how things are in any Employment Report. :roll:
You can look at the job report of any Top 10 school and then compare it to the number of graduates that year (or incoming class 2 years ago) and you will see that about 5-10% are missing from that list. It is because they did not fill out a questionnaire the school sent out at the end of the year.

P.s. The schools often exclude sponsored students, those who did not intend to look for a job - e.g. startups, and those who did not report back/respond.
Sometimes they will include the sponsored students since those are a slam dunk but they will put a footnote that outlines their number. This is a big number for some - e.g. Wharton.

Does the school send it out or the rankings agencies? call me naive then this makes those % employed after graduation pretty much a useless statistic :oops: Or I guess the school will auto exclude those INTL students if they report unemployed so it helps said college's ranking. If you wrote back seeking job at HBS I'm sure they would accurately reflect that in the employment report.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:07
Apply2020 wrote:

Does the school send it out or the rankings agencies? call me naive then this makes those % employed after graduation pretty much a useless statistic :oops:

You are not naive, just not very well versed in how the game is played.
There are 2 things we are talking about here:
1. School Employment report (school sends out the emails/questionnaires about it usually through a third party but not always)
2. Rankings - sometimes school provides information and sometimes the rankings company will send emails to a sample of the students. There is a question of how this sample is assembled.

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:20
saadim wrote:
P.S just to add amazon straight forward turned down a BU candidate for internship interview a night before it was scheduled. All the preparation and hard work for him went to drain. Thats how tough it is currently for both these schools. Unless for a full ride I would think 100 times before committing to either these schools.

And yet Amazon is listed as one of the recruiters on the BU employment stats?
Look, you have to understand the specifics of the candidate and the situation rather than assuming anything. Sometimes, people can exaggerate the negative aspect (which is just a reflection of their personal experience) a bit too much. They have the right to do so. But you need to take their advice with some degree of skepticism.

One thing I would agree upon is the fact that at both BC and BU (infact at literally all schools outside the Top 20 bracket), the career centre isn't much of a help. The job search is CANDIDATE driven rather than SCHOOL driven. Being an international student and going to a school which is outside of the Top-20 bracket, its always tough and their is a potential risk factor.

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:23
bb. No my point is school should have strong links with said industries and should not do only cover letters, cvs etc. Cancelling at last minute due to the reason cited as being we have already filled our spots is really cold. Maybe too many schools in Boston is hurting the candidates in job search. Whereas the west coast is thriving with offers. It is a curse
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Apr 2018, 14:31
saadim wrote:
bb. No my point is school should have strong links with said industries and should not do only cover letters, cvs etc. Cancelling at last minute due to the reason cited as being we have already filled our spots is really cold. Maybe too many schools in Boston is hurting the candidates in job search. Whereas the west coast is thriving with offers. It is a curse

I know a Kellogg former Mod who got dinged by Amazon and did not get an internship. Same for another person from Ross... Ymmv....
PS. As someone who looked for employees, I have to say that it is NOT an enjoyable process, and the faster I could end it, the better it was. I wanted to move on with my life and not do searching for the interns, employees, etc

Founder of GMAT Club

Originally posted by bb on 18 Apr 2018, 14:25.
Last edited by bb on 18 Apr 2018, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
PS
Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:41
yes stonecold you have nailed the last part. But the whole point of MBA is network and career resources. After top 25 all falls flat. However these schools can at least make some effort to address these issues. I know amazon is listed as an employer but so does nestle EY, johnson and johnson, coke but these companies haven't turned up as per my information from current students. Trump has shaken them real bad I guess. Check his stance on amazon.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride) &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 14:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap