Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school, BU vs BC?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride) [#permalink]
just to add some insight. As an international student I asked BU about which healthcare or finance firms recruit there and they had no idea. The Feld career center donot reply to emails so BC is the deal here despite its flaws.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1
Send PM
I know this is an old post but be aware one of these two universities jukes the employment stats heavily. I saw the admit letter of one international student and my jaw nearly hit the floor. Very, very sneaky.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apply2020 wrote:
I know this is an old post but be aware one of these two universities jukes the employment stats heavily. I saw the admit letter of one international student and my jaw nearly hit the floor. Very, very sneaky.

Why do you think it is sneaky to disclose something upfront in the Admission letter? Wouldn't it be sneaky to wait until someone accepted the offer of admission?
Admission letter is an offer that leads to a contract. The offer can be pulled at any time before it is accepted and nobody is forcing you to accept an offer (however good or bad it is).

P.S. I know what you are talking about - I have seen the employment warning on the admit letter and I feel in part it is CYA for the school but in part I feel it sets a realistic expectation too. I don't think it is sneaky unless you are talking about a different one or perhaps you can explain why you feel it is and perhaps you will change my mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Which university is it care to disclose the name
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Apply2020 wrote:

Why do you think it is sneaky to disclose something upfront in the Admission letter? Wouldn't it be sneaky to wait until someone accepted the offer of admission?
Admission letter is an offer that leads to a contract. The offer can be pulled at any time before it is accepted and nobody is forcing you to accept an offer (however good or bad it is).

P.S. I know what you are talking about - I have seen the employment warning on the admit letter and I feel in part it is CYA for the school but in part I feel it sets a realistic expectation too. I don't think it is sneaky unless you are talking about a different one or perhaps you can explain why you feel it is and perhaps you will change my mind.

Sneaky cause it jukes the employment report for the rankings and public perception. Im sure their international apps would drop if they put out the real employment report.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
BU (full ride) vs BC (full ride) [#permalink]
saadim wrote:
just to add some insight. As an international student I asked BU about which healthcare or finance firms recruit there and they had no idea. The Feld career center donot reply to emails so BC is the deal here despite its flaws.

This statement is so ridiculously untrue!
First off, why would you email the Career Centre at BU for information which is just a couple of two clicks away?
The employment reports are published for a reason.

BC is an amazing school to attend if you are leaning towards financial services.
For Consulting, Management and healthcare -> BU is a much better option!

Just talk to the current students at both schools and you would know the difference.

Best
Stone Cold
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apply2020 wrote:

Sneaky cause it jukes the employment report for the rankings and public perception. Im sure their international apps would drop if they put out the real employment report.

In this case, I don't know what you are referring to.... who fakes the employment report? how do they do it? How do they do it more than other schools?
Alum
Send PM
Apply2020 wrote:
bb wrote:
Apply2020 wrote:

You do realise that you are making a HUGE accusation. Do you have any news article or any post or really anything to support that.
I am keen to know the source behind such a remark.

Be it BC or BU- I know current students at both of these programs and as far they are concerned, the employment reports are genuine and accurate. Some international students did mention facing challenges for securing a post MBA job(due to the Immigration mess) but that is true across all schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Apply2020 wrote:

In this case, I don't know what you are referring to.... who fakes the employment report? how do they do it? How do they do it more than other schools?

If internationals who can't get a job aren't reported on the official employment report, then obviously this is boosting their placement percentage significantly. I don't understand what you are missing.

Feel free to list any schools that follow this university's practices for placement percentage. Its not an accusation, its a fact. Ask any international student for their admitted letter and "not seeking gainful employment".

stonecold: It's literally in the admissions letter. I saw it with my own eyes from a friend (not going to take a picture of it obviously).

Quote:
Placement Success (weighted by 0.35)

• Mean starting salary and bonus (0.14): This is the average starting salary and bonus of 2017 graduates of a full-time MBA program. Salary figures are based on the number of graduates who reported data. The mean signing bonus is weighted by the proportion of those graduates who reported a bonus, because not everyone who reported a base salary figure reported a signing bonus.

• Employment rates for full-time MBA program graduates: This is the employment rate for 2017 graduates of a full-time MBA program. Those not seeking jobs or for whom no job-seeking information is available are excluded.

Does anyone else see what I'm seeing?

Originally posted by Apply2020 on 18 Apr 2018, 12:59.
Last edited by Apply2020 on 18 Apr 2018, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well it is my right to demand such information as I was unable to find separate data for internationals and domestic student placements in healthcare or finance. The employment and internship report that is published provides a general picture and with current h1b scenario it is imperative to make an informed decision regarding all the programs. I have already talked to alumni and current students and the real picture is only 28 percent of the current class have succeeded in finding employment thus far and it already april, 1 month to go for internship start. For a career switcher into healthcare without industry background I want to know from the career department how many companies in the past have succeeded in sponsoring internationals to get a general idea.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are talking about this "scary" letter? :shocked
https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/bc1/scho ... udents.pdf

I do not see anything you are referring to, unless there is another letter that went out separately.

Apply2020 wrote:

Alum
Send PM
saadim wrote:
Well it is my right to demand such information as I was unable to find separate data for internationals and domestic student placements in healthcare or finance. The employment and internship report that is published provides a general picture and with current h1b scenario it is imperative to make an informed decision regarding all the programs. I have already talked to alumni and current students and the real picture is only 28 percent of the current class have succeeded in finding employment thus far and it already april, 1 month to go for internship start. For a career switcher into healthcare without industry background I want to know from the career department how many companies in the past have succeeded in sponsoring internationals to get a general idea.

Okay, w.r.t to the highlighted text - I am a bit lost!

Anyways, I am in touch with the same current students. Last year, BU boasted a 94 percent internship rate. And as you would know that there are a lot of international students at Questrom, the internship report is actually pretty awesome. I am sure that by the time its actual internship time for BU students, MOST (if not all) will have decent offers.

Feel free to PM me incase you have any further queries about BU or BC.

P.S ->BU focuses on a few key pillars, particularly healthcare and public/non profit. If you going in for a Healthcare MBA at Questrom -> You will be fine :cool: :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
You are talking about this "scary" letter? :shocked
https://www.bc.edu/content/dam/bc1/scho ... udents.pdf

I do not see anything you are referring to, unless there is another letter that went out separately.

Apply2020 wrote:

No there is an option to accept within the admit letter, and right next to it you agree that if you enroll you are to be marked as someone "not seeking gainful employment". This is done for presumably ranking purposes. (USNew it counts for 21% of the schools rank).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM