GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Aug 2018, 21:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:02) correct 40% (01:12) wrong based on 1095 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 93
Page: 652

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public

(B) for it to withhold from the public

(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of

(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure

(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/04/17/us/justices-grant-cia-wide-discretion-on-secrecy.html

The Supreme Court today gave the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretion to withhold the identities of its sources of intelligence information from public disclosure.

Originally posted by WinWinMBA on 03 Jun 2005, 15:33.
Last edited by hazelnut on 04 Aug 2018, 21:49, edited 5 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2011, 00:16
When there is a pronoun ambiguity in GMAT, one of the best ways of solving the muddle is to apply logic rather than mere structure.

In the given context, there are two eligible contenders for the pronoun’ it’ i.e., Supreme Court and the CIA, but the question is why will Supreme Court award the CIA something in order to enable itself? Isn’t logic missing then? That is the reason to conclude without further doubt that the pronoun refers to the CIA.

The answer is certainly A

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 15:00
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
Even i don't get why "B" is incorrect. Could anyone explain ?

Take this sentence
I love my girlfriend laughing at the chimps.
Here the bolded part is sufficient to frame the sentence. But adding a modifier [highlight]laughing at the chimps[/highlight] helps in adding information. Something similar has happened in this question:
The correct usage is “A award B X(enabling …)” where (enabling ...) is acting as modifier.

Here enabling is modifying powers, where [highlight]A award B X[/highlight] is fully complete even in absence of modifier
HTH
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2005, 13:04
WinWinMBA wrote:
186. By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

would pick A

D and E use the word 'they' which is incorrect for CIA which is singular
the reason i eliminated B and C is because 'powers for' doesn't sound correct to me..but i could be wrong here as i dont know the correct idiom officially
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 11:53
I also want to know that why "it" is not ambiguous here.
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2010, 18:43
vageesh wrote:

Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency - Supreme Court is active and CIA is passive, so SC gives CIA discretionary powers , which enable it (CIA) to withhold from the public.
"it" is not ambigous here at all ;)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2011, 11:16
Even i don't get why "B" is incorrect. Could anyone explain ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:52
PTK wrote:
vageesh wrote:

Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency - Supreme Court is active and CIA is passive, so SC gives CIA discretionary powers , which enable it (CIA) to withhold from the public.
"it" is not ambigous here at all ;)

In my opinion, A is correct NOT because of active/passive usage. If the author wanted to refer to SC, then the sentence should have 'reflexive' pronouns rather than ' simple pronoun'. As that is not the case, the 'it' here refers to CIA only but not SC.

Eg: He solved the problem HIMSELF; they caused the trouble THEMSELVES.

Hope this is clear.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 02:37
IMO - A

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

Let's re-write this sentence for more clarity : The Central Intelligence Agency broad was awarded discretionary powers by the Supreme Court, enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.. Here 'it' refers back to 'The Central Intelligence Agency', not to anyone else.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public >> this is a cause & effect scenario: V-ing (enabling) is correctly producing the effect of the cause (awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers). And 'it' is referring back to the CIA (closest noun indeed)

(B) for it to withhold from the public >> this is changing the meaning. Now, it is sounding as if SC awarded the DP to CIAB just to enable it to withhold.....so, nonsensical

(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of >> As per VAN rule (Verb>Adj>Noun), using 'withhold' (verb) is preferred over 'withholding' (noun). Also, this is changing the meaning as explained in B.

(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure >> them is incorrect pronoun. Referring to whom??

(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of >> they is incorrect pronoun. Referring to whom??
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 04:06
WinWinMBA wrote:

Quote:
I am unable to choose between A and B what is the difference here enabling vs for here

https://gmatclub.com/forum/by-a-vote-of ... 16906.html

Is 'for' more concerned with intent ? the what about 'to' infinintve . Whats the diffirence between for vs to

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers for it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

The meaning of this sentence is different. We know that broad powers would have made it possible for CIA to withhold the IDs of sources. But this sentence (option B) implies that the broad discretionary powers were given to withhold the IDs. That it made it compulsory for them to withhold the IDs. That is not true. It is given that the powers were discretionary.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 14:50
Hi WinWinMBA,

Thank you for your question.

Let's start by looking at the first major difference I saw when looking over the question quickly: it vs. they/them. Since the pronoun is referring back to the Central Intelligence Agency, which is a singular noun, the pronoun should match - so let's keep answers A, B, and C because they use the singular "it" or no pronoun at all. Therefore, we can eliminate answers D & E because they use the plural "they" or "them," which is wrong.

Answer C should also go because it doesn't clearly state WHO gets to do the withholding, and it sounds awkward. This leaves us with answers A & B. Let's look at what is different about each one:

A: enabling it to withhold from the public
B: for it to withhold from the public

In answer B, using the word "for" changes the meaning of the sentence and the intentions of the Supreme Court. By saying they are awarding the CIA powers "for" a purpose, they are saying that the Supreme Court awarded the CIA more power knowing they would use it for that purpose and ONLY that purpose. This isn't true - they just gave the CIA more power, but it's not clear WHY they did so.

The word "enabling" is a much stronger choice to show that the Supreme Court is giving the CIA power, and that power allows them to withhold information. Using "enabling" shows that the court decision is a cause, and withholding information is an effect, which is the intended meaning. The court didn't give them the power to withhold information directly - they did that indirectly by awarding them more power. Therefore, this is the right answer.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 16:11
(A) enabling it to withhold from the public -- correctly modifying.

(B) for it to withhold from the public --- use of for,

(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of -- use of for, withholding disclosure - wordy

(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure --- pronoun error

(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of -- pronoun error

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 17:10

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public - Correct
(B) for it to withhold from the public - 'for' is incorrect usage
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of - 'for withholding' is incorrect usage
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure - 'enable them' is incorrect usage
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of - "powers that they can withhold" , we are not withholding powers here - Incorrect

Ans: A

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 19:11
https://youtu.be/z7W64b_I67I

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 19:11

By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligenc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap