GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

By using a process called echolocation to analyze

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 553
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the hi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:28
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:51) correct 17% (00:52) wrong based on 567 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 285

By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine

_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 May 2017
Posts: 226
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Programming (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the hi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 11:42
+c
not only but also takes parallel structure.

Not only <noun= sound> but also <noun= its shape>
_________________

If you like the post, please award me Kudos!! It motivates me

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4334
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the hi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 19:31
Top Contributor
2
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine -- unparallel correlative conjunctions
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also --- not only verb… but also noun -- wrong
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also--- not only noun … but also noun -- correct
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also --- not only verb … but also noun -- wrong
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine ---- unparallel correlative conjunctions

_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 402
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 06:11
1
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine

OG Verbal 2018 New SC question.
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 402
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 06:15
Acc to my understanding, the question doesn't follow 'not only X but also Y' . Hence I am a bit confused here with the answer in OG

Request your help to understand the POE and the reasoning for each option

Thanks in advance
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 421
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 06:24
2
pikolo2510 wrote:
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine


2-part parallelism.
Not Only X But Also Y.
C follows the idiom and hence, is the correct answer.

A - not only the distance...., but they also -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.
B - not only can determine..., but also its shape... -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.
C - Not only the distance.... but also it's shape.... -> CORRECT.
D - Same as B. Breaks Parallelism OUT.
E - Not only their distance...., but they can also... -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 421
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 06:25
pikolo2510 wrote:
Acc to my understanding, the question doesn't follow 'not only X but also Y' . Hence I am a bit confused here with the answer in OG

Request your help to understand the POE and the reasoning for each option

Thanks in advance


Hi Mate, Why do you think it doesn't follow the idiom Not Only X, But Also Y?
_________________

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3651
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 10:23
1
pikolo2510 wrote:
Acc to my understanding, the question doesn't follow 'not only X but also Y' . Hence I am a bit confused here with the answer in OG

Request your help to understand the POE and the reasoning for each option

Thanks in advance



Hi, The idiom has been used correctly.

It says bats can determine

Not only Distance(X)
But also its shape and size(Y)

Hence, X and Y are parallel.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1749
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 17:04
As usual, very nice work by abhimahna & akshayk! pikolo2510, just let us know if those responses haven't cleared up your doubts. :)
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jun 2015
Posts: 65
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 20:45
GMATNinja wrote:
As usual, very nice work by abhimahna & akshayk! pikolo2510, just let us know if those responses haven't cleared up your doubts. :)

GMATNinja, isn't there any idiomatic issue in 'distance to'?.. or both the usage - 'distance to' and 'distance from' - is correct?
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3651
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 00:30
1
kkrrsshh wrote:
GMATNinja, isn't there any idiomatic issue in 'distance to'?.. or both the usage - 'distance to' and 'distance from' - is correct?


Hi kkrrsshh ,

Here is the catch. You would have never got confused with this idiomatic usage if you would have understood the meaning.

Let me take two examples to explain you:

The distance to my new house is 100 kms. --> Here, I am travelling to my new house and I am talking about the pending distance that I need to cover. So, I am saying there is still 100 kms I need to cover.

So, Distance to basically tells us the distance that bats are considering to cover. Understand the intention of bats. They are echoing to identify whether there is any object coming on their path.

The distance of my office from my new house is 100 kms. Now, it means I am just telling the distance that between two locations. I am not sure whether I am travelling to my new house and determining the distance.

So, as per the intention made in the original statement, we are told that they are using echolocation to determine the upcoming object on their way.

There is nothing wrong in using distance to. Both distance to and distance from are correct idiomatically. Understanding the meaning is the crux of the argument.

Does that makes sense? :)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 402
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 03:41
akshayk wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Acc to my understanding, the question doesn't follow 'not only X but also Y' . Hence I am a bit confused here with the answer in OG

Request your help to understand the POE and the reasoning for each option

Thanks in advance


Hi Mate, Why do you think it doesn't follow the idiom Not Only X, But Also Y?

I got my mistake after looking at your reasoning, thanks buddy!
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 361
CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 12:40
akshayk wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine


2-part parallelism.
Not Only X But Also Y.
C follows the idiom and hence, is the correct answer.

A - not only the distance...., but they also -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.
B - not only can determine..., but also its shape... -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.
C - Not only the distance.... but also it's shape.... -> CORRECT.
D - Same as B. Breaks Parallelism OUT.
E - Not only their distance...., but they can also... -> Breaks parallelism. OUT.


The other break here is 'distance from vs distance to' - what do we select on the basis of meaning? Thus C and D change the meaning slightly - so what do we pick here;in case the not only - but also phrase remains the same as in C.
Thank you!
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 701
Premium Member
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:12
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jun 2015
Posts: 65
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:16
abhimahna wrote:
kkrrsshh wrote:
GMATNinja, isn't there any idiomatic issue in 'distance to'?.. or both the usage - 'distance to' and 'distance from' - is correct?


Hi kkrrsshh ,

Here is the catch. You would have never got confused with this idiomatic usage if you would have understood the meaning.

Let me take two examples to explain you:

The distance to my new house is 100 kms. --> Here, I am travelling to my new house and I am talking about the pending distance that I need to cover. So, I am saying there is still 100 kms I need to cover.

So, Distance to basically tells us the distance that bats are considering to cover. Understand the intention of bats. They are echoing to identify whether there is any object coming on their path.

The distance of my office from my new house is 100 kms. Now, it means I am just telling the distance that between two locations. I am not sure whether I am travelling to my new house and determining the distance.

So, as per the intention made in the original statement, we are told that they are using echolocation to determine the upcoming object on their way.

There is nothing wrong in using distance to. Both distance to and distance from are correct idiomatically. Understanding the meaning is the crux of the argument.

Does that makes sense? :)

Yes.. Thanks a ton:)


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2525
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:41
Madhavi1990 wrote:

The other break here is 'distance from vs distance to' - what do we select on the basis of meaning? Thus C and D change the meaning slightly - so what do we pick here;in case the not only - but also phrase remains the same as in C.
Thank you!


Hello Madhavi1990,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

The thing is the original sentence presents not only one of the five answer choices but also the context of the sentence. Apart from the original sentence, we have nothing to understand what the author actually wants to convey. Hence, if the original sentence presents logical meaning then we must try to keep this meaning of the original sentence in the correct answer choice as much as possible.

Since the original sentence says that the bats use the process of echolocation to determine the distance "to an object", we understand that the bats try to determine the distance from point A where the bay is to point b where the object is. So we keep the expression distance to an object in the correct answer choice.

The expression distance from an object suggests how far the bats are form a certain object.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Posts: 361
CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:55
egmat wrote:
Madhavi1990 wrote:

The other break here is 'distance from vs distance to' - what do we select on the basis of meaning? Thus C and D change the meaning slightly - so what do we pick here;in case the not only - but also phrase remains the same as in C.
Thank you!


Hello Madhavi1990,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

The thing is the original sentence presents not only one of the five answer choices but also the context of the sentence. Apart from the original sentence, we have nothing to understand what the author actually wants to convey. Hence, if the original sentence presents logical meaning then we must try to keep this meaning of the original sentence in the correct answer choice as much as possible.

Since the original sentence says that the bats use the process of echolocation to determine the distance "to an object", we understand that the bats try to determine the distance from point A where the bay is to point b where the object is. So we keep the expression distance to an object in the correct answer choice.

The expression distance from an object suggests how far the bats are form a certain object.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha



Thank you was very useful - meaning based way of breaking sentences :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2016
Posts: 129
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:00
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object but also its shape [color=#ff0000]and size and the direction in which it is moving.[/color]

is the usage of two "and" (in red) correct stylistically?

Could it be written: its shape, size and the direction in which it is moving.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3651
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 00:22
sevenplusplus wrote:
By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object but also its shape [color=#ff0000]and size and the direction in which it is moving.[/color]

is the usage of two "and" (in red) correct stylistically?

Could it be written: its shape, size and the direction in which it is moving.


Hi sevenplusplus ,

Try to understand the meaning of the sentence. It is trying to say bats can do not only just one thing but also two more things.

Hence, this form is perfectly fine and is acceptable.

If you say "its shape, size and the direction in which it is moving.", it is also fine but as per the original meaning we are trying to emphasize something. This intention will not be reflected if you use the way you said.

Try to understand it via below two examples:

I am not only an Indian but also an IT Male. :(

I am an Indian IT Male.

Do you see the change in my intention in the two sentences?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 776
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: 315 Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 21:18
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 285

By using a process called echolocation to analyze the echoes of the high-pitched sounds they produce, bats can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine its shape and size and the direction in which it is moving.

A. can determine not only the distance to an object, but they also can determine
B. not only can determine the distance to an object but also
C. can determine not only the distance to an object but also
D. not only can determine its distance from an object but also
E. can determine not only their distance from an object, but they can also determine


The correct idiom is "not only x but y" or we can also have "not only x but also y"

D uses the correct idiom AND is parallel

D
Re: By using a process called echolocation to analyze   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 21:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

By using a process called echolocation to analyze

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.