Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Calling ALL Admitted CBS Folks - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Awesome, thanks!

Definitely agree with no news is good news :)
VP
VP
Send PM
When are we supposed to hear about financial aid/fellowship/scholarships granted for our admission? Is that separate or should it mentioned somewhere in the letter we receieved upon admission?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
When are we supposed to hear about financial aid/fellowship/scholarships granted for our admission? Is that separate or should it mentioned somewhere in the letter we receieved upon admission?

Per Matt in Admissions, they can release scholarships at any time, although I believe I recall him mentioning that the majority go out in January.
VP
VP
Send PM
Do you guys think there's any issue with quitting my job now that I'm done with the whole process? I think that BG check will obviously care only that I was working in my company while I was submitting, interviewing. I guess for other schools even if you got waitlisted and don't have any meaningful updates (promotions etc..) it will still be fine. Just wanted to have some feedback on his

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Has anyone finished his/her background check with ReVera?

Do you guys think that it would look bad if I didn't start the Re Vera background check process until late January? My dilemma is that the one person who would be able to answer the questions that they are going to ask (small-ish company) is going on vacation in early/mid January and I don't want to run the risk of somebody else dealing with Re Vera and flubbing something....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Do you guys think there's any issue with quitting my job now that I'm done with the whole process? I think that BG check will obviously care only that I was working in my company while I was submitting, interviewing. I guess for other schools even if you got waitlisted and don't have any meaningful updates (promotions etc..) it will still be fine. Just wanted to have some feedback on his

Thanks!
Cheers

I think the safest bet would be to wait until the background check is complete - don't want any unnecessary red flags coming up. You could also call Re Vera or Columbia admissions and ask on the status of the BG check to put your mind at ease as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cbsnyc17 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks!
Cheers

I think the safest bet would be to wait until the background check is complete - don't want any unnecessary red flags coming up. You could also call Re Vera or Columbia admissions and ask on the status of the BG check to put your mind at ease as well.

I would give them 5 weeks, if there were no news I would call them. Definitely wouldn't quit before the OK with Re Vera. I'm paranoid about the backgorund check (small PE fund without a HR Department in LatAm).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
sydbarrett wrote:
cbsnyc17 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks!
Cheers

I would give them 5 weeks, if there were no news I would call them. Definitely wouldn't quit before the OK with Re Vera. I'm paranoid about the backgorund check (small PE fund without a HR Department in LatAm).

Hey guys, my employer does NOT know i'm leaving. Is the back ground check going to blow my cover? That could significantly effect my EOY compensation. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think the safest bet would be to wait until the background check is complete - don't want any unnecessary red flags coming up. You could also call Re Vera or Columbia admissions and ask on the status of the BG check to put your mind at ease as well.[/quote]

I would give them 5 weeks, if there were no news I would call them. Definitely wouldn't quit before the OK with Re Vera. I'm paranoid about the backgorund check (small PE fund without a HR Department in LatAm).[/quote]

Hey guys, my employer does NOT know i'm leaving. Is the back ground check going to blow my cover? That could significantly effect my EOY compensation. Thoughts?[/quote]

Leave the bg check for next year. No rush. From the Re Vera email I received:

"Please note the following:

1. EMPLOYMENT HOLDS:
If you have not informed your employer of your plans to pursue a graduate degree, you may desire Re Vera Services to delay verification of your employment until such time that you choose to share your plans with your employer. Please email us immediately at cbs@reveraservices.com with the following subject line:

EMPLOYMENT HOLD

Please include the date which the hold can be released (and verification can begin). Columbia Business School has asked that holds be no later than 1 July 2015 so if you do not specify a date, your verification will begin on 1 July 2015."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sydbarrett wrote:

I would give them 5 weeks, if there were no news I would call them. Definitely wouldn't quit before the OK with Re Vera. I'm paranoid about the backgorund check (small PE fund without a HR Department in LatAm).[/quote]

Hey guys, my employer does NOT know i'm leaving. Is the back ground check going to blow my cover? That could significantly effect my EOY compensation. Thoughts?[/quote]

1. EMPLOYMENT HOLDS:
If you have not informed your employer of your plans to pursue a graduate degree, you may desire Re Vera Services to delay verification of your employment until such time that you choose to share your plans with your employer. Please email us immediately at cbs@reveraservices.com with the following subject line:

EMPLOYMENT HOLD

Please include the date which the hold can be released (and verification can begin). Columbia Business School has asked that holds be no later than 1 July 2015 so if you do not specify a date, your verification will begin on 1 July 2015."[/quote]

I never received that email - I only received an email with the signed PDF form, which I sent to the Re Vera CBS email that they provided. How soon did you get this email after payment? Perhaps I should give them a call
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

1. EMPLOYMENT HOLDS:

EMPLOYMENT HOLD

Please include the date which the hold can be released (and verification can begin). Columbia Business School has asked that holds be no later than 1 July 2015 so if you do not specify a date, your verification will begin on 1 July 2015."[/quote]

I never received that email - I only received an email with the signed PDF form, which I sent to the Re Vera CBS email that they provided. How soon did you get this email after payment? Perhaps I should give them a call[/quote]

The emails came with a 5 minute difference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Hi guys,

Those who are internationals, when do you guys think is the earliest one can get to NYC? I am thinking July 23 but not sure. Anyone?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
wnoyes wrote:
edukredensir wrote:
MBA8717 wrote:
I was also accepted a couple of weeks back, so happy to part of the club =)

When are people thinking of quitting work? I was initially thinking around April/May but am now considering resigning by the end of Jan.

I don't know what you guys think but I believe quitting too early might somehow damage your resumé a little. When you begin recruiting, your dream employer may question you on your motivations to quit your job 7 months prior to the beggining of classes.
In my case, I'll get married in the beggining of May and I'm planning on not going back to work after my honeymoon. I guess anywhere from May to end of July is fine.

For me personally I am in the military and living in Germany so my plan is to get leave work and fly back the states around the 1st week fo June. In a perfect work I am trying to get some sort of internship next summer in the real estate field but from Europe and not actually being a student will make that really hard. The City of New York offers internships in a variety of fields to students with a minimum criteria of just being accepted so I am going to apply for that this spring. They don't pay but they do offer a free dorm room at NYU and some other local schools which would be a great way to learn more about the neighborhoods and figure out where I am going to live. How far in advance of orientation would you recommend arrivng in the city? I want to have my lease signed no later than 1 August.

Re: internationals and work in NYC: I think the earliest date we can enter US would be 30 days before the date on the DS/VISA but let me know if you think otherwise. Re. working in the City in New York - this could be interesting, I wonder if that can allow you to come even earlier? I would be surprised if they offer you free NYU accommodation, NYU dorms cost as much as any place in the Village, they are in top locations actually.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats everyone from a CBS'16er just browsing the forums! Hope to see you all next year.
VP
VP
Send PM
sydbarrett wrote:
cbsnyc17 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks!
Cheers

I see, I'm quitting in the first week of January so I guess giving them around 6 weeks. Anyways, I've spoken to my recommenders and HR to let them know about the process. I see that apart from that there is little difference between being around and not being around. I think they want to check whether you were working during the process - and to be supersafe before acceptance decision

That's how I see it but I welcome any comments

The BG is unnecessary stress and I'm sure it is very general but nevertheless it creates some anxiety. Not sure whether calling admissions to find out if its clear is something I would do. I don't want to look as if I'm hiding something or stressed about it.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.61
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I got an email from ReVera today letting me know they were going to start the process soon (I sent in my form about 3 weeks ago for reference). If you have not informed your employer yet they will allow you to postpone the background check until June but that is the latest option. They said the process will take 2-4 weeks and not to contact them or the school, if they have any questions they will get in touch with you, they said no news is good news.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys-anyone done with ReVera?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators: