Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Calling ALL Admitted CBS Folks - Class of 2017 [#permalink]
jookjook wrote:
aussiehopeful wrote:
Has anyone else received their CBS email address? Are we supposed to login to the 'admitted students' site with it? Not sure whether we're supposed to get a password too?

I have the same question. As I understand it, they set up our Columbia email address to forward automatically to the email address we used for the application. Could anyone confirm that?
As for the admitted student website, you are supposed to use your lifetime ID, which will be sent to you via email.

Has anyone gotten their UNI code?

Just to chime in on this topic, I still haven'r recieved any other info (email, lifetime ID) apart from the UNI code or whatever it is called that you use by the time you make your first deposit.

If anyone has been able to enter the admitted student website please let us know the right procedures as it is not too clear to me either

Thanks

Cheers!
J :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
jookjook wrote:
aussiehopeful wrote:
Has anyone else received their CBS email address? Are we supposed to login to the 'admitted students' site with it? Not sure whether we're supposed to get a password too?

I have the same question. As I understand it, they set up our Columbia email address to forward automatically to the email address we used for the application. Could anyone confirm that?
As for the admitted student website, you are supposed to use your lifetime ID, which will be sent to you via email.

Just to chime in on this topic, I still haven'r recieved any other info (email, lifetime ID) apart from the UNI code or whatever it is called that you use by the time you make your first deposit.

If anyone has been able to enter the admitted student website please let us know the right procedures as it is not too clear to me either

Thanks

Cheers!
J :)

Actually I must correct my last reply. I have received my email address however I don't know how to access the admitted student webpage with my address since my user doesn't seem to work and I don't know how to create one. Have any of you guys been able to sort this out?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.61
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Quote:
jookjook wrote:

aussiehopeful wrote:

Thanks

Cheers!
J

Actually I must correct my last reply. I have received my email address however I don't know how to access the admitted student webpage with my address since my user doesn't seem to work and I don't know how to create one. Have any of you guys been able to sort this out?

I didn't get an email but I just checked my account and I now have the PID, UNI and lifetime email. Does anyone know what the default password is or where that comes from? As a somewhat unrelated note I went to the Frankfurt information session last night that was hosted by an alum from '85 and the CBS director of admissions (Christina Shelby). She said that if the site isn't up yet then it should be in the next week.

Overall the info session was amazing. Tons of really talented but super down to earth people there to learn about the school and a really welcoming environment. Christina took extra time to welcome my girlfriend who will be coming to NYC with me which was a really nice touch. I know they talk a lot about community but if the program itself is even half as warm as last night I am 100% confident that this is hands down the right place for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
wnoyes wrote:
Quote:
jookjook wrote:

aussiehopeful wrote:

Thanks

Cheers!
J

I didn't get an email but I just checked my account and I now have the PID, UNI and lifetime email. Does anyone know what the default password is or where that comes from? As a somewhat unrelated note I went to the Frankfurt information session last night that was hosted by an alum from '85 and the CBS director of admissions (Christina Shelby). She said that if the site isn't up yet then it should be in the next week.

Overall the info session was amazing. Tons of really talented but super down to earth people there to learn about the school and a really welcoming environment. Christina took extra time to welcome my girlfriend who will be coming to NYC with me which was a really nice touch. I know they talk a lot about community but if the program itself is even half as warm as last night I am 100% confident that this is hands down the right place for me.

The admitted student website is up and running. I have been accessing it for the past two weeks, they have a great to do list in it for all the pre MBA stuff you need to finalise. The admissions office sent me an email with a link to set up my password. Hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
The admissions office sent you an email or you required access?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Can

Originally posted by NYCMBA08 on 18 Sep 2014, 13:34.
Last edited by NYCMBA08 on 14 Oct 2014, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NYCMBA08 wrote:
Can someone please share the process of the CBS background check? What firm conducts the check? what items the firm asks for (ie. contact info for jobs/ details re: extracurriculars)?

I'm quite curious as well. I have heard that Kroll doesn't do the background check for every admitted student, only if admissions finds something odd in your application. Is that true?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
edukredensir wrote:
NYCMBA08 wrote:
Can someone please share the process of the CBS background check? What firm conducts the check? what items the firm asks for (ie. contact info for jobs/ details re: extracurriculars)?

I'm quite curious as well. I have heard that Kroll doesn't do the background check for every admitted student, only if admissions finds something odd in your application. Is that true?

Well, basically I think your assessment is not entirely correct. I do believe they check every admitted (and committed) student, because they don't want to let any major cheaters attend CBS (it is primarily a reputation thing). And by the way, Columbia stopped using Kroll, it now employs the services of Re Vera. As far as I know, what they do is they send a form which you have to sign, and then pay them about $75 or so (this, unfortunately seems to happen in January or early February at the earliest). Then they go ahead and call your former school to check the transcript, your workplace(s) to see if and how long you actually worked there and in what position (and perhaps the salary), and your recommenders to see if they actually wrote your recommendation. From what I gather it is a pretty basic verification and they are not out to hang you by any means, just to make sure you haven't been grossly misleading them (which I hope is not the case on this forum). I don't know for sure, but Kroll apparently only verified the current employer info (perhaps this was only the case for some people); I have no idea how Re Vera goes about it to be honest. If anyone has better input, please go ahead and elaborate...:-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for starting this thread! I have my lifetime ID, UNI and PID and I have paid my deposit etc, but I haven't gotten any emails or updates since then (3 Sep). Some people have mentioned getting emails about the admited students website etc and I have an note into the school to ask about how to get access at this point. In the mean time what are the next steps?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wnoyes wrote:
Thank you for starting this thread! I have my lifetime ID, UNI and PID and I have paid my deposit etc, but I haven't gotten any emails or updates since then (3 Sep). Some people have mentioned getting emails about the admited students website etc and I have an note into the school to ask about how to get access at this point. In the mean time what are the next steps?

i don't think there's any. i have my lifetime ID UNI and PID too but don't have the password to my account :)

but it would be great if you could let us know what the AdCom tells you.... i was too lazy to write a note to the AdCom (it wasn't urgent so i didn't pay too much attention. after all we are the early birds)

:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kwu325 wrote:
wnoyes wrote:

i don't think there's any. i have my lifetime ID UNI and PID too but don't have the password to my account :)

but it would be great if you could let us know what the AdCom tells you.... i was too lazy to write a note to the AdCom (it wasn't urgent so i didn't pay too much attention. after all we are the early birds)

I've just received the response from the ITG. The admitted website for students admitted to the Fall 2015 is not entirely ready. They'll send me na email to set up my account as soon as the website is ready.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
edukredensir wrote:
kwu325 wrote:
wnoyes wrote:

I've just received the response from the ITG. The admitted website for students admitted to the Fall 2015 is not entirely ready. They'll send me na email to set up my account as soon as the website is ready.

I got the same response so at least it's consistent :)

What neighborhoods are people thinking about living in? My girlfriend and I are trying to keep our list to about 10 total, 3-4 each in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens respectfully. I know a fair number of people live in morningside or along the west side of Manhattan so it's a direct commute.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
edukredensir wrote:
kwu325 wrote:
wnoyes wrote:

thanks for sharing! at least that takes this thing off my mind ....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wnoyes wrote:
edukredensir wrote:

I got the same response so at least it's consistent :)

What neighborhoods are people thinking about living in? My girlfriend and I are trying to keep our list to about 10 total, 3-4 each in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens respectfully. I know a fair number of people live in morningside or along the west side of Manhattan so it's a direct commute.

girlfriend or finance-to-be? if i remember correctly you were gonna propose! :)

i have never been to NYC so i can't offer any suggestions. i might need your advice actually..... on where to live
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Haha, fiancé to be ;)

For living here is a basic list I would go by:
1. Where are you from and what are you comfortable with? What's the biggest place you have lived?
2. Do you like a little commute to and from to clear your thoughts and decompress or would you rather be able to roll out of bed and be in class in 10 minutes?
3. What kind of neighborhood vibe are you looking for? Young, energetic bar scene? Quiet place to study? Artsy? Etc
4. Perhaps most importantly when dealing with NYC how much are you looking to spend and what are the non negotiable for the apartment? In my case 1 bedroom and in building washer/dryer are non negotiables based on my lovely fiancé to be :) then you put together your list of nice to haves, in my case dishwasher, garbage disposal and pet friendly. Cool if I can have it but in no way a deal breaker.

A little about me, I grew up between Massachusetts and Maine in mostly smaller towns but I have always loved cities. I haven't lived in a huge city but I lived in Savannah, GA and with the military I have been in "smaller" 250-500k satellite cities outside a big city (Seoul, and currently Frankfurt). My roommate from college was from long island and I spent a lot of time in and around the city so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask or send me a pm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wnoyes wrote:
Haha, fiancé to be ;)

For living here is a basic list I would go by:
1. Where are you from and what are you comfortable with? What's the biggest place you have lived?
2. Do you like a little commute to and from to clear your thoughts and decompress or would you rather be able to roll out of bed and be in class in 10 minutes?
3. What kind of neighborhood vibe are you looking for? Young, energetic bar scene? Quiet place to study? Artsy? Etc
4. Perhaps most importantly when dealing with NYC how much are you looking to spend and what are the non negotiable for the apartment? In my case 1 bedroom and in building washer/dryer are non negotiables based on my lovely fiancé to be :) then you put together your list of nice to haves, in my case dishwasher, garbage disposal and pet friendly. Cool if I can have it but in no way a deal breaker.

A little about me, I grew up between Massachusetts and Maine in mostly smaller towns but I have always loved cities. I haven't lived in a huge city but I lived in Savannah, GA and with the military I have been in "smaller" 250-500k satellite cities outside a big city (Seoul, and currently Frankfurt). My roommate from college was from long island and I spent a lot of time in and around the city so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask or send me a pm.

Hey thanks for such a detailed reply!

I think the most important things i am looking for in an apartment:
1) i prefer living near the campus or on it - i am not so into commuting. I live in Beijing, China and everyday I got to take the subway so I am hoping for the two years at CBS I could avoid that
2) I prefer living alone, so i am looking for a one bedroom or a studio. haven't really thought about the budget yet coz i have never been to NYC. But since everything's so expensive in NYC i guess i would say my budget is 1500-2000 bucks.
3) must have is washer/dryer too ( i thought all buildings had them?) nice to have is a dish-washer. geez i love cooking but i absolutely detest cleaning dishes. I hate cleaning in general. so a nicer-to-have is a live-in maid but given my budget i am not holding my breath :P

I was born and bred in China. Grew up in Guangdong province and went to Beijing for university. Have lived in Beijing for 7 years now, and am really looking forward to living in NYC. I guess i have always been a "city man". but then again i have never been to NYC so i don't really know what to expect.. :)

by the way, when do people usually start looking for apartments? is it too early???
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NYC will be different but certainly something you will be able to handle based on your experience. Having lived just outside of Seoul and traveled to Tokyo and Beijing on vacation you will be fine with the size and pace of the city :) Foreign students have the option to live on campus which may be your best bet. The school doesn't have housing for all students so I think it's a lottery system but don't quote me on that. Once the admitted students website is open I am sure they will have the details about the process.

If you end up living off campus you should be able to find a studio in that price range near campus but washer/dryer definitively isn't a standard item unless it's a new building. If it's listed as "pre-war" meaning WWII it's probably not going to have modern luxuries unless it has been updated recently but it may also have some great classic architectural details, kind of a win lose.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts