GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 23:58
I was writing something to reply to a previous comment, but my interview invite came in, so I changed my post…but now a second one. I have to disagree with your opinion. I think people here went way too far with their comments. It first started with the "endless excuses" comment in a previous post a few pages back and now this rant.

You are aware we are applying to business school right? The ugly truth is that WE ARE ALL BEING OPPORTUNISTS! SURPRISE! This is why folks are applying to many other schools, and why reputation is important (I can already hear the purists yelling at me - you should choose your school based on your needs and yada yada yadda...
But the right school has to be ranked high. I don't see many on here applying to an online MBA or programs that no one ever heard of …)

Getting back to my main point; we live with different situations, we have competing priorities and we all have our own problems. Losing your job is hard, having COPD or any health problem is hard, but we all need to play the hand we’re dealt. I could list a few pages of things going on with my life as well. It’s hard, the situation is strange, but all we can do is try to make the best of it. You don’t know the situation of the other folks who did not take the test. “Being in China” is not the only valid reason. If someone tells you that they don’t want to take their exam because of noise, it might seem anodyne to you, but for them, it might be a dealbreaker. Please, everyone, stop trying to weight your “tragedy”, I can assure you that you won't win.

Also, as a side note, before applying, I also thought I was special like my mama told me. However, by reading the profile of people who are applying and by understanding the life stories of others, I realized that I am really not. I am actually pretty below average. There are always going to be someone more successful, who has better leadership examples, more ECs or better life story. It’s also about the presentation of your application. Maybe you are great, but how your story was told sucks. This is something that we’ll never know, even if you admitted. Maybe you got accepted because you are the best, maybe you are the charity case that they took in for this round or maybe they were going for the candidate right before you but they had a small hand spasm and the mouse moved so they sent out an acceptance letter to you with no possibility of taking it back without risking a lawsuit.

Full disclosure. I have not taken the GMAT prior to submitting my application and now the physical whiteboard is allowed. I hit the jackpot. Am I an opportunist? Yes. Am I going to do everything I can to my advantage myself? Yes. No matter how unfair this seems, this is the game and we all play it.

My final words: you can always write down all your situation in the optional essay section :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:10
slimmz2004 could you share your country/nationality and your AO, please? Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:17
tujnguyen wrote:
slimmz2004 could you share your country/nationality and your AO, please? Thank you.

Why? Are you trying to be opportunistic and you think AO put in in the reject pile :) Canada, originally from Norway here and the AO can easily find me. There are not a lot of pediatricians applying.

I know my comment will be unpopular, but I stand by it. You should take a look at the last episode of Fridays With Sandy. He made an interesting point about opportunistic behavior in B-School application.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:25
Wow, chill. I only asked a simple question in a nice way to know if results from my region have started to roll out. I absolutely don't think there is a need for any additional comments to be made. Thanks.

slimmz2004 wrote:
tujnguyen wrote:

Why? Are you trying to be opportunistic and you think AO put in in the reject pile :) Canada, originally from Norway here and the AO can easily find me. There are not a lot of pediatricians applying.

I know my comment will be unpopular, but I stand by it. You should take a look at the last episode of Fridays With Sandy. He made an interesting point about opportunistic behavior in B-School application.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:32
Calm down all - each to his own.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:34
fatnani wrote:
pabpinor wrote:
I would not kill myself over when they send the invites, there are three more weeks till the deadline.

My assumption is that for some nationalities the AOs had fewer candidates than others so they were able to sort them out easily, we all will get an answer in the next three weeks so many will have our patience tested for a little longer :D

Regards,
Pablo

Being an indian I will have to be super patient ! 😂

Fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 00:48
tujnguyen wrote:
Wow, chill. I only asked a simple question in a nice way to know if results from my region have started to roll out. I absolutely don't think there is a need for any additional comments to be made. Thanks.

slimmz2004 wrote:
tujnguyen wrote:

Thought that my happy face would suggest cynicism, but obviously it has not.

S
Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q165 V151

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 01:12
So interview invite for Asia hasn't been rolled out yet?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 01:19
rosarosa wrote:
So interview invite for Asia hasn't been rolled out yet?

Doesn't look like it. Waiting patiently till then!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 01:23
Same here from China, none of my friends receive the invite yet.
Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q165 V151

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 01:52
I saw one invite from Japan posted on decision tracker yesterday
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 06:35
slimmz2004 wrote:
I was writing something to reply to a previous comment, but my interview invite came in, so I changed my post…but now a second one. I have to disagree with your opinion. I think people here went way too far with their comments. It first started with the "endless excuses" comment in a previous post a few pages back and now this rant.

You are aware we are applying to business school right? The ugly truth is that WE ARE ALL BEING OPPORTUNISTS! SURPRISE! This is why folks are applying to many other schools, and why reputation is important (I can already hear the purists yelling at me - you should choose your school based on your needs and yada yada yadda...
But the right school has to be ranked high. I don't see many on here applying to an online MBA or programs that no one ever heard of …)

Getting back to my main point; we live with different situations, we have competing priorities and we all have our own problems. Losing your job is hard, having COPD or any health problem is hard, but we all need to play the hand we’re dealt. I could list a few pages of things going on with my life as well. It’s hard, the situation is strange, but all we can do is try to make the best of it. You don’t know the situation of the other folks who did not take the test. “Being in China” is not the only valid reason. If someone tells you that they don’t want to take their exam because of noise, it might seem anodyne to you, but for them, it might be a dealbreaker. Please, everyone, stop trying to weight your “tragedy”, I can assure you that you won't win.

Also, as a side note, before applying, I also thought I was special like my mama told me. However, by reading the profile of people who are applying and by understanding the life stories of others, I realized that I am really not. I am actually pretty below average. There are always going to be someone more successful, who has better leadership examples, more ECs or better life story. It’s also about the presentation of your application. Maybe you are great, but how your story was told sucks. This is something that we’ll never know, even if you admitted. Maybe you got accepted because you are the best, maybe you are the charity case that they took in for this round or maybe they were going for the candidate right before you but they had a small hand spasm and the mouse moved so they sent out an acceptance letter to you with no possibility of taking it back without risking a lawsuit.

Full disclosure. I have not taken the GMAT prior to submitting my application and now the physical whiteboard is allowed. I hit the jackpot. Am I an opportunist? Yes. Am I going to do everything I can to my advantage myself? Yes. No matter how unfair this seems, this is the game and we all play it.

My final words: you can always write down all your situation in the optional essay section :)

Wow - this is incredibly true. One of the best posts I’ve seen on here. The tendency amongst most people is to apply a relatively lower “moral” standard to their own behaviour, while subjecting the actions of others to a higher one. This isn’t unnatural - it’s an inherent trait because we truly believe our situation and circumstances can always be justified rationally while others are just “taking advantage of the situation”. Truth is - business is about capitalizing on opportunities and we, as applicants, are doing no different. You have an advantage? Take it. Most others would.

Moreover, we are not on the AdCom. We are not in a position to comment on how they will assess our candidacy in such a tumultuous time, despite any standardized “we know it’s a difficult time for everyone” emails they send to us.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q42 V44

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 07:04
Seems apparent now that AOs are moving through applications at different phases. Appears that many are now getting interview invites (congrats!), and others, like myself, are now only getting confirmation of application completeness. Good luck to all!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 07:16
Finally received the email that my file is complete and the application is getting reviewed :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2020, 07:35
slimmz2004 wrote:

slimmz2004,

I agree with you. Just a word of advise though.

Everybody has their own battles to fight. I was lucky to take my GMAT before the lockdown. But also unlucky coz 24hrs before the test, my aunt passed away. I was quite close to her. My whole family was away and travelling when this happened. So I had to drive 800 kms (to and back included) to attend her funeral and come back for the test. Since I couldn't postpone it, I made the trip... tired, sleep deprived and mentally drained. Scored 710. I was hoping to score 740 at least as I come from an over represented background... India. So 710 is on the lower side for my demographic. I was going to use the optional essay to explain the lower score, but the few alums who've guided me through the application process all said it's a bad idea. Don't make excuses in application. Just accept what it is. Own it. And make the other parts of application stronger to compensate. Write better essays. Nail the interview. Give them a reason to pick you and not an excuse to consider your hardships. A job application or corporate promotion decision won't take the personal hardships under consideration.

Just my 2 cents. If you still have a strong valid reason to use that optional essay to talk to the Adcom about your GMAT score, maybe that's the way to go.

You've got a strong profile. Good luck with the admission. :)

Also, those from India awaiting a reply from their AO, I just received the "application complete and ready for review" mail from mine. Maybe you guys will hear from your AOs soon too. Good Luck.

Ronak
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 05:40
Hi guys. I haven't received the "application complete" e-mail from my AO. Does anybody knows if that means an automatic ding?

INSEAD School Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 05:47
JohnnyC90 wrote:
Hi guys. I haven't received the "application complete" e-mail from my AO. Does anybody knows if that means an automatic ding?

No idea, but I would say that till the 26th you won't know as you may get that email just on the deadline with an interview invite, no?

Regards,
Pablo
Manager
Manager
S
GRE 1: Q160 V160

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 17:24
Everyone is so quiet today. In normal times, and if my calculations are correct, this week they would have started sending out invites. But, we no longer live in normal times, in many aspects.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 18:38
meme2019 wrote:
Everyone is so quiet today. In normal times, and if my calculations are correct, this week they would have started sending out invites. But, we no longer live in normal times, in many aspects.

Exactly
Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q168 V157
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2020, 19:04
Quick Question: Does INSEAD give out almost the same number of offers in R1, R2, R3?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2020, 19:04

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  75    Next  [ 1483 posts ] 

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD January 2021 Intake !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: MBAPrepCoach, uc26, pabpinor