GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2019, 07:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Booth MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [Class of 2022]

new topic post reply Update application status  
Booth Moderator
S
Re: Calling All Booth MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [Class of 2022]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2019, 20:31
ThusSpokeZ wrote:
fatmike wrote:
ThusSpokeZ wrote:
Is anyone else also waiting to be matched with alumni in the off-campus interview process?
I received my invite last Friday but haven't been matched yet.
Has anyone gotten in touch with the Admissions Office to expedite the process?

Might be time to reach out to them. You should’ve been matched within 3 business days of submitting your off campus request. If you log into your account and click on interview, does it have the interviewer’s name there?

Posted from my mobile device

No nothing there either.

I’d reach out. It wouldn’t hurt since they’re already late. It might be taking them some time to find someone, but it would be good to hear it from them.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2019, 01:02
fatmike wrote:
ThusSpokeZ wrote:
fatmike wrote:

Might be time to reach out to them. You should’ve been matched within 3 business days of submitting your off campus request. If you log into your account and click on interview, does it have the interviewer’s name there?

No nothing there either.

I’d reach out. It wouldn’t hurt since they’re already late. It might be taking them some time to find someone, but it would be good to hear it from them.

Yep, I agree. They've been fairly responsive to me on email, so wouldn't hurt to drop them a line. They kept apologizing for not being able to match me with an alum, so now I'm having a virtual interview.
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2019, 06:49
That’s good you were able to get the virtual interview. Are you in a remote area? What time of day will you be conducting the interview?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2019, 07:09
Thanks for your advice fatmike and kalraswati. I'll get in touch with them.
Does a virtual interview mean one with an alum or a second-year student?
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2019, 12:40
ThusSpokeZ wrote:
Thanks for your advice fatmike and kalraswati. I'll get in touch with them.
Does a virtual interview mean one with an alum or a second-year student?

I believe these are conducted by second year students. The good thing about a virtual interview is that you only need to worry about your upper half! You can be wearing shorts and socks on your other half. They call this the MBA mullet. Haha. Good luck!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2019, 02:55
fatmike wrote:
That’s good you were able to get the virtual interview. Are you in a remote area? What time of day will you be conducting the interview?

I'm in Uganda, so fairly remote I guess? They weren't able to match me with anyone across East Africa though. Fortunately, I found a 9 AM CT slot, which is 6 PM my time, so not too bad.
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2019, 10:46
Has anyone completed your interview yet? How did it go?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 07:08
fatmike wrote:

Finished mine last week. I was matched with a recent alum and he was super nice and relaxed. Only ~5 questions that were asked in a very conversational way, no curve-balls. I was a little surprised that he turned it over to me after only 20 minutes, but I asked a ton of short questions to understand his experience.

Also submitted my short answers last week and Booth was my last interview for R1, so now the wait begins...
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 14:50
coltaylo94 wrote:
fatmike wrote:

Finished mine last week. I was matched with a recent alum and he was super nice and relaxed. Only ~5 questions that were asked in a very conversational way, no curve-balls. I was a little surprised that he turned it over to me after only 20 minutes, but I asked a ton of short questions to understand his experience.

Also submitted my short answers last week and Booth was my last interview for R1, so now the wait begins...

Where did you end up meeting your interviewer? Yes, the wait begins! Good luck!
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2019, 14:57
A question for everyone, if you end up attending Booth, do you plan on living on or off campus and renting or buying? What do a majority of current students do?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.79

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 13:14
fatmike wrote:
coltaylo94 wrote:
fatmike wrote:

Where did you end up meeting your interviewer? Yes, the wait begins! Good luck!

Thanks! Met my interviewer at a coffee shop only a mile from my home, so needless to say it was very convenient.

I'll also add that we had a shocking amount in common...it's probably giving too much credit to Booth but the match seemed good.

Have you scheduled your interview yet?
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 14:29
For all of you that track rankings, Booth was just ranked #1 again by The Economist. Last month they were ranked #1 by Forbes. Keep the #1’s coming!!

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 18:36
fatmike wrote:
A question for everyone, if you end up attending Booth, do you plan on living on or off campus and renting or buying? What do a majority of current students do?

To answer your question, most of the class live inside the loop right next to Millennium Park. There's an apart building called Millennium Park Plaza (nicknamed MPP) that almost 60% (or higher) of the class lives in, and another 10-20% of the class lives in apartments within a 1 block radius of MPP.

The remaining 20% of the class are scattered through out South or West Loop and Hyde Park. Usually though, unless you are living with a partner or have another reason for living either outside of the loop or in Hyde Park, you'll probably be living in MPP.
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 20:14
Gunster,

Congrats on getting in last year! Can you give us a quick look into life as a first year at Booth? What’s your schedule look like on a daily basis? Anything you wish you’d done before arriving at Booth?

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 00:22
Sure! Feel free to message me for more precise descriptions but I'm in the midst of recruiting so I may be very slow getting back to you.

Right now for most first years, life revolves around recruiting. I have classes for 3 out of the 5 days, and spend the majority of my weekdays on campus for recruiting reasons (coffee chats, formal events, lunch and learns, etc.). I spend my remaining time doing homework and watch TV (I'm unfortunately a huge TV binger).

A typical day where I have class would go

Wake up, grab breakfast if I have time, then commute for my morning class

Get out of class, go to a lunch and learn.

After the lunch and learn, I would either head back or stay at Harper depending on what late afternoon and evening events I have. For the afternoon, I will do some studying or work on homework. There's usually a coffee chat or some sort of an information session in the afternoon that I'd attend.

Then, at night, most of the time I attend a firm networking event.

By the time I come back from the event, it'll be around 8-9 PM. I usually try to review my class materials and send out thank you notes until 10-10:30. Then, I"ll watch some TV for a quick break.

I also participate in groups where I work on consulting cases or projects as well as case competitions. I work on these side projects usually from 11 all the way to 1-2 AM ish, then go to bed.

Weekends are reserved for homework or events. I'm in a LDR with my partner and dislike drinking, so I don't attend many drinking events or go out to bars other than to watch sports, which I love, and for major socials that I have FOMO about missing. I love playing board games so I try to do a board game night every weekend when I have time. Otherwise, I spend the weekend visiting my partner so I index heavily on the weekdays.

At the beginning, you'll find that a lot of your schedule revolves around recruiting events, especially if you recruit for banking, consulting, or big tech. There's definitely been some late nights (including tonight), but this fast pace life was exactly what I was looking for coming into business school and it's encouraged me to work more efficiently than when I worked in large corporate.

The one thing I wish I had done before coming to Booth was do more industry research to figure out exactly what I want to recruit for. I had spent probably weeks researching the industry I want to recruit for and decided it's what I wanted to do. However, what I didn't spend time on was looking into alternative industries that may interest me, and I'm getting a lot of these information about these industries that I never really considered before. I'm not wavering in my recruiting decisions, but I regret not taking more time to figure out my alternatives instead of just researching what I thought I wanted to do.

On the flip side, my favorite thing about Booth so far have been the people. I have always had the mindset that MBAs in general are very similar and I still think this way, but the people are the biggest differences between Kellogg and Booth (the two schools I applied for) to me and that fact still remains true. I also say this as someone who don't really have many super close friends since I don't attend as many events and socials as everyone else. I still feel like I recognize most of my class and I enjoy speaking to everyone.

Oh, last note - I encourage everyone to travel during the summers. I know Startup Summer is a great program and I encourage anyone who wants to try it to do so, but I traveled for 2 months and I have no regrets besides the fact that I wish I traveled for 3-4 instead.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '22 (II)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 04:45
Hey gunster, thanks for the quick synopsis of your day. You mentioned that the people are the difference between business schools and you specifically mentioned Booth and Kellogg. Can you dive a bit deeper into the differences you found in people attending these two schools?

gunster wrote:
Sure! Feel free to message me for more precise descriptions but I'm in the midst of recruiting so I may be very slow getting back to you.

Right now for most first years, life revolves around recruiting. I have classes for 3 out of the 5 days, and spend the majority of my weekdays on campus for recruiting reasons (coffee chats, formal events, lunch and learns, etc.). I spend my remaining time doing homework and watch TV (I'm unfortunately a huge TV binger).

After the lunch and learn, I would either head back or stay at Harper depending on what late afternoon and evening events I have. For the afternoon, I will do some studying or work on homework. There's usually a coffee chat or some sort of an information session in the afternoon that I'd attend.

By the time I come back from the event, it'll be around 8-9 PM. I usually try to review my class materials and send out thank you notes until 10-10:30. Then, I"ll watch some TV for a quick break.

I also participate in groups where I work on consulting cases or projects as well as case competitions. I work on these side projects usually from 11 all the way to 1-2 AM ish, then go to bed.

Weekends are reserved for homework or events. I'm in a LDR with my partner and dislike drinking, so I don't attend many drinking events or go out to bars other than to watch sports, which I love, and for major socials that I have FOMO about missing. I love playing board games so I try to do a board game night every weekend when I have time. Otherwise, I spend the weekend visiting my partner so I index heavily on the weekdays.

At the beginning, you'll find that a lot of your schedule revolves around recruiting events, especially if you recruit for banking, consulting, or big tech. There's definitely been some late nights (including tonight), but this fast pace life was exactly what I was looking for coming into business school and it's encouraged me to work more efficiently than when I worked in large corporate.

The one thing I wish I had done before coming to Booth was do more industry research to figure out exactly what I want to recruit for. I had spent probably weeks researching the industry I want to recruit for and decided it's what I wanted to do. However, what I didn't spend time on was looking into alternative industries that may interest me, and I'm getting a lot of these information about these industries that I never really considered before. I'm not wavering in my recruiting decisions, but I regret not taking more time to figure out my alternatives instead of just researching what I thought I wanted to do.

On the flip side, my favorite thing about Booth so far have been the people. I have always had the mindset that MBAs in general are very similar and I still think this way, but the people are the biggest differences between Kellogg and Booth (the two schools I applied for) to me and that fact still remains true. I also say this as someone who don't really have many super close friends since I don't attend as many events and socials as everyone else. I still feel like I recognize most of my class and I enjoy speaking to everyone.

Oh, last note - I encourage everyone to travel during the summers. I know Startup Summer is a great program and I encourage anyone who wants to try it to do so, but I traveled for 2 months and I have no regrets besides the fact that I wish I traveled for 3-4 instead.
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 06:40
gunster wrote:

Thank you for the great information! A few follow up questions. What time do you usually wake up in the morning and when is your first class? Are you taking 3 or 4 classes this semester? How many classes would you recommend?

Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 06:41
Reminder to all who got a round 1 interview invitation, essays are due today by 11:59PM CT!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.59
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 09:15
I've just submitted my short answer questions, but what I still see is the red "X" mark on the screen....
But I can check the message saying "Submitted: 11/01/2019", hen I click the details link of short answer questions....

I don't know what's wrong with my submission, making me nervous and anxious a lot.
Booth Moderator
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2019, 09:19
JYP wrote:
I've just submitted my short answer questions, but what I still see is the red "X" mark on the screen....
But I can check the message saying "Submitted: 11/01/2019", hen I click the details link of short answer questions....

I don't know what's wrong with my submission, making me nervous and anxious a lot.

Give the server some time to update. As long as you see your short answers on the next screen and it says it was submitted, you’re fine.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Booth MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [Class of 2022]   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2019, 09:19

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  19    Next  [ 368 posts ] 

Calling All Booth MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake [Class of 2022]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carbazzy, fatmike, ambera33