GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jul 2015
Posts: 49
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 22:19
CanIhasMBA wrote:
Hey guys! I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

I submitted my application in the afternoon on 10/6 and just received my interview invite tonight at 8pm. Just wanted to add another data point, hope this information helps! Best of luck everyone :-D


Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 10/6 applicant here...

You just made my day :-D :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 01:23
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2015
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 02:06
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


Word counts are not strict, meaning you can usually submit up to 25 words more than the limit. I'd suggest not exceeding this number.

Format - I recommend converting all your static submission material to PDF form. It appears the same on every device, and hence you can be confident that what you see is what your evaluator will see as well.

Added advantage - word counts are not easy, helping you with your second question as well! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
_________________

For the greatest tragedy of them all is never to feel the burning light.

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2015
Posts: 43
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 02:22
Wowbagger wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


Word counts are not strict, meaning you can usually submit up to 25 words more than the limit. I'd suggest not exceeding this number.

Format - I recommend converting all your static submission material to PDF form. It appears the same on every device, and hence you can be confident that what you see is what your evaluator will see as well.

Added advantage - word counts are not easy, helping you with your second question as well! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Thank you so much!

Do we also need to mention the question on top? I know that some schools categorically asked for this, couldn't find anything on the CBS site though
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2639
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 03:52
samriddhi320 wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


Word counts are not strict, meaning you can usually submit up to 25 words more than the limit. I'd suggest not exceeding this number.

Format - I recommend converting all your static submission material to PDF form. It appears the same on every device, and hence you can be confident that what you see is what your evaluator will see as well.

Added advantage - word counts are not easy, helping you with your second question as well! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Thank you so much!

Do we also need to mention the question on top? I know that some schools categorically asked for this, couldn't find anything on the CBS site though



It is always a good practice to mention the question at the top. This makes it easier for the reviewer to understand what was the prompt against which you provided that essay.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 18
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 06:14
1
For those of you guys who are waiting for the final decision...

There are 23 posts in this thread of people reporting the dates between submitted interview (actually, 19, as 4 reported just the interview date, which skews the data a little bit) and the invites.

The mean is 9 days (day 0 is the day the feedback is submitted), the average is 9.7. Minimum is just 3, maximum is 18 (strangely, this is from the date the feedback was submitted). Standard deviation is 4.5 days.

So, basically, the chances are you'll see the results somewhere between day 6 and day 14 (not surprising, considering this is the timeline they try to stick to...).

This is not really illuminating.. But I'm a bit bored and anxious at the same time, and today is my 9th day.. :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2015
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 06:17
tonyko wrote:
For those of you guys who are waiting for the final decision...

There are 23 posts in this thread of people reporting the dates between submitted interview (actually, 19, as 4 reported just the interview date, which skews the data a little bit) and the invites.

The mean is 9 days (day 0 is the day the feedback is submitted), the average is 9.7. Minimum is just 3, maximum is 18 (strangely, this is from the date the feedback was submitted). Standard deviation is 4.5 days.

So, basically, the chances are you'll see the results somewhere between day 6 and day 14 (not surprising, considering this is the timeline they try to stick to...).

This is not really illuminating.. But I'm a bit bored and anxious at the same time, and today is my 9th day.. :)



Good stuff, buddy. How about putting together a similar distribution analysis for interviews, for us less fortunate ones? ?
_________________

For the greatest tragedy of them all is never to feel the burning light.

Image

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 18
Location: Russian Federation
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:07
4
Wowbagger wrote:
tonyko wrote:
For those of you guys who are waiting for the final decision...

There are 23 posts in this thread of people reporting the dates between submitted interview (actually, 19, as 4 reported just the interview date, which skews the data a little bit) and the invites.

The mean is 9 days (day 0 is the day the feedback is submitted), the average is 9.7. Minimum is just 3, maximum is 18 (strangely, this is from the date the feedback was submitted). Standard deviation is 4.5 days.

So, basically, the chances are you'll see the results somewhere between day 6 and day 14 (not surprising, considering this is the timeline they try to stick to...).

This is not really illuminating.. But I'm a bit bored and anxious at the same time, and today is my 9th day.. :)



Good stuff, buddy. How about putting together a similar distribution analysis for interviews, for us less fortunate ones? ?


Here you go!

Overall I have found 34 data entries:
Earlier than 21 - 5 invites
21 days - 14 invites
22 days - 11 invites
23 days - 3 invites
24 days - 1 invite

So, 21 (which is a mean) plus a couple of days..
Last couple of data points were 23 days. And the data may not be stationary, given they are now a lot more busy than they were before the deadline, so you could throw in a few more days on top of that. I guess my point is that it's not over 'till it's over (I am a reapplicant who was dinged without an interview, so I know how it feels!)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2015
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:11
2
tonyko wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:
tonyko wrote:
For those of you guys who are waiting for the final decision...

There are 23 posts in this thread of people reporting the dates between submitted interview (actually, 19, as 4 reported just the interview date, which skews the data a little bit) and the invites.

The mean is 9 days (day 0 is the day the feedback is submitted), the average is 9.7. Minimum is just 3, maximum is 18 (strangely, this is from the date the feedback was submitted). Standard deviation is 4.5 days.

So, basically, the chances are you'll see the results somewhere between day 6 and day 14 (not surprising, considering this is the timeline they try to stick to...).

This is not really illuminating.. But I'm a bit bored and anxious at the same time, and today is my 9th day.. :)



Good stuff, buddy. How about putting together a similar distribution analysis for interviews, for us less fortunate ones? ?


Here you go!

Overall I have found 34 data entries:
Earlier than 21 - 5 invites
21 days - 14 invites
22 days - 11 invites
23 days - 3 invites
24 days - 1 invite

So, 21 (which is a mean) plus a couple of days..
Last couple of data points were 23 days. And the data may not be stationary, given they are now a lot more busy than they were before the deadline, so you could throw in a few more days on top of that. I guess my point is that it's not over 'till it's over (I am a reapplicant who was dinged without an interview, so I know how it feels!)


You did it! Man, you're a rockstar. I truly hope you get your call today. Fingers crossed! :beer
_________________

For the greatest tragedy of them all is never to feel the burning light.

Image

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 631
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:30
Someone, checked my linkedin account from columbia university. However, don't know whether it is adcom or not. Guys, was someone's account checked by adcom?
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2015
Posts: 32
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:42
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


This probably wasn't extraordinarily wise of me and I wouldn't recommend it.. but I still got in..

My Essay #3 was 296 words (250 max) and on my acceptance call the adcom specifically said they loved that essay more than any other aspect of my profile.

and my essay #1 was 570 words. So I don't think word counts matter all that much.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 631
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:44
MBOUTDAT wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


This probably wasn't extraordinarily wise of me and I wouldn't recommend it.. but I still got in..

My Essay #3 was 296 words (250 max) and on my acceptance call the adcom specifically said they loved that essay more than any other aspect of my profile.

and my essay #1 was 570 words. So I don't think word counts matter all that much.



I also crossed the limit by almost the same amount in all my essays.
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2639
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 08:00
tonyko wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:
tonyko wrote:
For those of you guys who are waiting for the final decision...

There are 23 posts in this thread of people reporting the dates between submitted interview (actually, 19, as 4 reported just the interview date, which skews the data a little bit) and the invites.

The mean is 9 days (day 0 is the day the feedback is submitted), the average is 9.7. Minimum is just 3, maximum is 18 (strangely, this is from the date the feedback was submitted). Standard deviation is 4.5 days.

So, basically, the chances are you'll see the results somewhere between day 6 and day 14 (not surprising, considering this is the timeline they try to stick to...).

This is not really illuminating.. But I'm a bit bored and anxious at the same time, and today is my 9th day.. :)



Good stuff, buddy. How about putting together a similar distribution analysis for interviews, for us less fortunate ones? ?


Here you go!

Overall I have found 34 data entries:
Earlier than 21 - 5 invites
21 days - 14 invites
22 days - 11 invites
23 days - 3 invites
24 days - 1 invite

So, 21 (which is a mean) plus a couple of days..
Last couple of data points were 23 days. And the data may not be stationary, given they are now a lot more busy than they were before the deadline, so you could throw in a few more days on top of that. I guess my point is that it's not over 'till it's over (I am a reapplicant who was dinged without an interview, so I know how it feels!)


Useful information tonyko. I would agree with your observation that the days above are only aplicable to non deadline slots as near the deadline you would naturally see a greater number of applications.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 9
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 08:47
1
For those of you that haven't received an interview invite yet, keep in mind that CBS has a University Holiday tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 09:08
Ergenekon wrote:
MBOUTDAT wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:
Hi all,

I had an application related query. What format do the essays need to be uploaded in? Word or PDF? Also do we need to mention the question at the top?

If the word limit is exceeded by 5-6 words, is that alright?

Thanks!


This probably wasn't extraordinarily wise of me and I wouldn't recommend it.. but I still got in..

My Essay #3 was 296 words (250 max) and on my acceptance call the adcom specifically said they loved that essay more than any other aspect of my profile.

and my essay #1 was 570 words. So I don't think word counts matter all that much.



I also crossed the limit by almost the same amount in all my essays.


This is really unfair to most applicants who try to stick to the word count or very close to it. I exceed my essays as well, but by 5-10 words above the limit. I've heard that some schools are very strict to the dot (Michigan), while most others follow a within 5-10% of word limit.
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2639
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 09:30
Fosterizer wrote:

This is really unfair to most applicants who try to stick to the word count or very close to it. I exceed my essays as well, but by 5-10 words above the limit. I've heard that some schools are very strict to the dot (Michigan), while most others follow a within 5-10% of word limit.



I dont think it is unfair to anyone. If you can stay within the limits, good for you but if not, you are taking a risk by exceeding the word limit. So a person going above the limit is already taking a risk. If you feel like you are comfortable by going above by 5-10 words to finish your essays in a compelling way, no one is going to say anything.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 631
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 09:36
Engr2012 wrote:
Fosterizer wrote:

This is really unfair to most applicants who try to stick to the word count or very close to it. I exceed my essays as well, but by 5-10 words above the limit. I've heard that some schools are very strict to the dot (Michigan), while most others follow a within 5-10% of word limit.



I dont think it is unfair to anyone. If you can stay within the limits, good for you but if not, you are taking a risk by exceeding the word limit. So a person going above the limit is already taking a risk. If you feel like you are comfortable by going above by 5-10 words to finish your essays in a compelling way, no one is going to say anything.



Completely agree. Fair or unfair is not relevant here. The point is I was not able to stick to limits no matter how much I tried. I have really good reasons not to stick to it. If I decided to stick to the limit, my essays would be useless.
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Dec 2013
Posts: 31
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 09:58
Applied early morning on the 7th. No response yet. Had a feeling 730 wont be enoigh

Throwing in the towel. A friend who applied late on the 7th got a reply Saturday morning. Feeling heartbroken
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Posts: 631
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 10:28
Does anyone know when is the last day of invites for ED applicants?
_________________

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 10:46
dukandaar wrote:
Applied early morning on the 7th. No response yet. Had a feeling 730 wont be enoigh

Throwing in the towel. A friend who applied late on the 7th got a reply Saturday morning. Feeling heartbroken



I'm with you. 730 is more than enough, when their average is 715. I was kind of confident about CBS... really hurts to have not even received an invite...
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 02 Nov 2015, 10:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  78    Next  [ 1549 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

  post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.