It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 19:07
Has anyone in Singapore who applied on 4th heard back from Columbia?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 19:37
s91 wrote:
Has anyone in Singapore who applied on 4th heard back from Columbia?

I'm not Singaporean, but I work there and applied on the 4th. I am still waiting.

My guess is that the admissions team will first process the really promising candidates (GMAT +740 etc.) to make a positive impression and thereby convert the top candidates into 'matriculants'. Once they've gone through this group, they'll focus on the 'weaker' portion of the applicant pool, as they know this group will be more likely to follow through with acceptances.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 19:52
Has anyone ever seen (and can point to) data on the distribution of applicants by GMAT score, I'm not referring to those enrolled, but rather those who have applied. It could be useful in determining the appropriateness of this thread's data as a sample of the actual applications.

I took data I could find on the internet (avg. GMAT, acceptance by GMAT score, GMAT percentile [680-740 = 80%], and number of applicants and number accepted) as restrictions to build a distribution and came up with the following... see attached. Let me know what you think.

It isn't 100% accurate, but I think, it will be indicative.
Attachments

Columbia Application Profile.PNG
Columbia Application Profile.PNG [ 27.98 KiB | Viewed 2520 times ]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Stern '19

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 06:06
Quote:
Congrats to all with interviews so far!! Were you notified just in the portal or did you get an email that your status had changed, or even an email that you received an interview?

Currently stalking my portal every few hours..... :oops:

you will get an interview invite via email

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 07:22
Has anyone encountered a situation when the interview is not responsive? Do you know how this works? Do they know they need to respond within 48 hours?

What should I do? Does it look bad if I request an alternative interviewer? Thanks very much

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.45
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 07:58
mbaapplicantjim2016 wrote:
Has anyone encountered a situation when the interview is not responsive? Do you know how this works? Do they know they need to respond within 48 hours?

What should I do? Does it look bad if I request an alternative interviewer? Thanks very much

I think there was some guidance about what to do if they're unresponsive (either on the email or webpage). I did have to reschedule since the first person I got matched with told me they were unable to meet. I just had to request a rematch on the portal and provide a very brief reason (I think it was a multiple choice option). So, I don't think there's anything wrong with requesting an alternate, assuming the first doesn't respond.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 08:06

I had this exact situation (I gave the interviewer more than 48 hours before switching interviewers). In the portal you can choose to cancel the match with the interviewer because he did not respond within 48 hours (there are a few reasons to choose from). I got assigned with another interviewer which fortunately was responsive (btw he did not know I had a previous interviewer). Because this delayed the interview I emailed Admissions to let them know of the situation (just to be safe) and they told me not to worry about it.

So I wouldn't worry about switching interviewers if he does not respond.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 08:16
goodmank wrote:

I had this exact situation (I gave the interviewer more than 48 hours before switching interviewers). In the portal you can choose to cancel the match with the interviewer because he did not respond within 48 hours (there are a few reasons to choose from). I got assigned with another interviewer which fortunately was responsive (btw he did not know I had a previous interviewer). Because this delayed the interview I emailed Admissions to let them know of the situation (just to be safe) and they told me not to worry about it.

Thanks so much for this. I am just worried if the second one still does not work, then I may have to contact the Admissions...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 09:03
goodmank wrote:

Thanks so much for this. I am just worried if the second one still does not work, then I may have to contact the Admissions...

The problem is that they all most likely use their personal emails and probably only check them sporadically.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 09:15
oddbbo wrote:
Quote:
Congrats to all with interviews so far!! Were you notified just in the portal or did you get an email that your status had changed, or even an email that you received an interview?

Wahoo I got my email this morning! 10/5 domestic application.

Did you all get assigned an interviewer? I remember them talking about us getting a choice from a small pool but I also know they were debating that approach. My interviewer actually seems very well placed for me and is in my desired future field.

So excited - best of luck to all!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 10:21
Any other 10/5 applicant get an invite ?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 10:39
triciasee wrote:
oddbbo wrote:
Quote:

Did you all get assigned an interviewer? I remember them talking about us getting a choice from a small pool but I also know they were debating that approach. My interviewer actually seems very well placed for me and is in my desired future field.

So excited - best of luck to all!

I had only one interviewer to choose from - at least in my case I dont think they implemented the small pool thing.

Where are you based? I recommended preparing for a potentially confrontational interview. Many of the things I read online prior to mine suggested my interview would be "conversational," "casual," etc. I didn't find this to be true. Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 10:47
oddbbo I'm in southern California. Regarding the small pool thing I know some interviewers had been dealing with the lion's share for being first in a list or something so they might have done away with that all together.

Thanks for the tip - I'll gear myself up! Any other tips from those who have gone through already?

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 10:54
you will get an interview invite via email[/quote]

So excited - best of luck to all![/quote]

I had only one interviewer to choose from - at least in my case I dont think they implemented the small pool thing.

Where are you based? I recommended preparing for a potentially confrontational interview. Many of the things I read online prior to mine suggested my interview would be "conversational," "casual," etc. I didn't find this to be true. Good luck![/quote]

Really? That's crazy. I've heard from everyone how conversational and laid back they are. I just find it impossible to believe that an interview with a completely random alumni (800ish are produced every year) and their opinion of you is going to make or break it. Seems like it'd be just one more smaller data point for them on marginal candidates.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:01
Got rejected today after interview evaluation submitted 10/19.

750 GMAT
5 years work experience, currently at a top-tier financial services firm with some management responsibilities
solid extracurriculars
interview went as well as I could have hoped
application had a pretty coherent direction -- not sure what else I could've done

Intern
Intern

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:02
Quote:
Really? That's crazy. I've heard from everyone how conversational and laid back they are. I just find it impossible to believe that an interview with a completely random alumni (800ish are produced every year) and their opinion of you is going to make or break it. Seems like it'd be just one more smaller data point for them on marginal candidates.

Yea, well, I was surprised too! I wont go too far down the rabbit hole, but mine was far from casual.

As for your last point I'm hoping that's the case.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:04
pancakemaker wrote:

750 GMAT
5 years work experience, currently at a top-tier financial services firm with some management responsibilities
solid extracurriculars
application had a pretty coherent direction -- not sure what else I could've done

Sorry to hear that. Your stats are solid so I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else.

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:06
pancakemaker wrote:

750 GMAT
solid extracurriculars

Sorry to hear, when was your interview?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:07
anon44444 wrote:
pancakemaker wrote:

750 GMAT
solid extracurriculars

Sorry to hear, when was your interview?

I said 10/19. I meant 10/12 -- a week ago.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2016, 11:31
oddbbo wrote:
pancakemaker wrote:

750 GMAT
solid extracurriculars

Sorry to hear that. Your stats are solid so I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else.

Ditto - many schools would be lucky to have you. Best of luck

Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2016, 11:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  28    Next  [ 548 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap