Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Upcoming Webinar: Diversity at Darden
Mark your calendars: Darden Admissions is back in the studio with a new webinar this week.

Diversity at Darden

Friday, 6 May 2016

1:30-2:30 pm

Register Here

Diversity comes in many forms, including race, ethnicity, thought, and professional background. During this webinar, Karen Ohen, Associate Director of Diversity Recruitment, will talk to two current Darden students about their business school experience so far, especially as it relates to all the different forms of diversity. This webinar will include a Q&A, so please bring your questions about the application process, business school, the job hunt, and more!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: I Am Diversity Video Series: Meet Our Students
This is the first video in a series of three that explores diversity at Darden by talking with several current students. Check back next week for the second video!

A core part of the Darden School’s mission is to foster a diverse community that broadens understanding and elevates performance. Diversity comes in many forms, including race, ethnicity, thought, and professional background. In this video, meet some of Darden’s students and learn more about the unique perspectives they bring to the classroom.

Watch: I Am Diversity – Meet Our Students

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: I Am Diversity Video Series: My Darden
This is the second video in a series of three that explores diversity at Darden by talking with several current students. You can view the first video here.

A core part of the Darden School’s mission is to foster a diverse community that broadens understanding and elevates performance. Diversity comes in many forms, including race, ethnicity, thought, and professional background. In this video, Darden students discuss the contributions they made to Darden’s diverse culture, as well as the lessons they will be taking with them.

Watch video: I Am Diversity – My Darden

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: What’s the Big IDEA? Unique and Teachable Innovation Framework Enters Darden’s MBA Core Curriculum (Part 1)
This is the first in a series of 3 multi-media posts chronicling a learning process which enables MBAs to make effective decisions when facing real-world ambiguity. By applying a unique innovation framework, MBAs and others can tackle the thorniest innovation challenges and create value.

The series features Darden student teams addressing business challenges presented by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Capital One, Land O’Lakes Inc., and LinkedIn with the Markle Foundation.

To learn more about the IDEA course, please visit our website.

Writer: Laura Longhine

Audio Interviews: Emily Richardson-Lorente

Photography: Ashley Twiggs

Public Relations: Sophie Zunz

The students are buzzing with energy and laughter, grabbing leopard-print tape and shiny bits of paper as they busily cut and glue their projects together. No, this isn’t Design School — it’s the first day of Darden’s new IDEA course, and these driven first-year MBA students are getting a taste of what will be a very different kind of learning experience.

“Design thinking is not just about thinking,” Professor Jeanne Liedtka tells the class. “It’s about doing.”

The Learning Journey Begins: LISTEN

What the students are doing today is designing wallets – a task that the professors are using to help students get a feel for the design thinking process.

Over the course of an hour or so, students experience the difference between designing a generic “ideal wallet” (based only on their own conceptions) and designing one to meet the specific needs of their partners, based on gathering data, trying out ideas (including a physical prototype), and getting feedback.

“Think about the job to be done,” Professor Liedtka told them. “The wallet is just an artifact. Think about the role that it plays in the life of the person you are designing for.”

Students Roll Up Their Sleeves, Create Rapid Prototypes and Test Assumptions

IDEA (the acronym stands for Innovation, Design, and Entrepreneurship in Action) is an experiential learning course grounded in the approaches of design thinking, agile project management, data analytics, effectuation, and lean start-up. By introducing it into the final term of the first year core, faculty are looking to move beyond the case method learning students have become accustomed to and challenge them to confront real-world problems with a set of tools that are built for ambiguity and uncertainty.

Over the course of the next seven weeks, students will work in teams to solve open-ended challenges presented by corporate, non-profit, and government sponsors like Capital One and PBS.

“What’s very unique about IDEA is that it sits in between a client-focused project without any process around it, and the highly structured decisions that are typical in the classroom,” explains finance professor Marc Lipson, another member of the faculty team leading the course. “It’s both a class and an experience.”

“What we’ve created are real challenges with real sources of frustration and real ambiguity,” he added. “But the purpose is to teach you that there is a well-established set of steps you can take to make meaningful steps forward in that environment.”

Darden Professor Marc Lipson and 1 of 5 Student Sections on Day 1 of the IDEA Course

Tomorrow, students will be meeting with their sponsors. Today, the teams will get together for the first time to figure out how they will work together and create a design brief-a first pass at framing the problem they intend to address.

As they move from debriefing the wallet exercise to talking about the challenges ahead, the students get quiet. Professor Liedtka reminds them that they can still have fun.

“Get into your challenge,” she says, “and see where it takes you.”

This post first appeared in the The Batten Institute‘s newsletter. The Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation seeks to improve society by creating knowledge about the transformative power of entrepreneurship and innovation and by cultivating principled, entrepreneurial leaders. We invite you to explore their section on our website, follow them on social media, or join the IDEA network on LinkedIn.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Real Estate
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Are round 3/waitlist decisions suppose to be coming out today?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good luck! All those who are waiting for the decisions, please stay in the chat room for live updates. To join Darden chat, go to the main chat window and type this command in chat text box /join #gc-Darden
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: I Am Diversity Video Series: Diversity at Darden
This is the third and final video in a series of three that explores diversity at Darden by talking with several current students. You can view the first video here and the second video here.

A core part of the Darden School’s mission is to foster a diverse community that broadens understanding and elevates performance. Diversity comes in many forms, including race, ethnicity, thought, and professional background. In this video, learn more about how Darden has transformed some of the ways our students think about diversity.

Watch video: I Am Diversity – Diversity at Darden

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Meet Darden Admissions in DC and NYC in June
Have you been thinking about an MBA and how to approach the application process? Now is your chance to get the answers to your questions: The Darden School of Business will host multi-school events in New York City and Washington, D.C. with several other top MBA programs in early June. These events are a great way to get a jump start on your application and learn about our schools.

Darden will be in New York City on Tuesday, 7 June and in Washington D.C. on Wednesday, 8 June. These are our first events of the new admissions cycle and open to all prospective MBA students, so we hope you will join us and bring your questions.

You can register for New York City here and Washington D.C. here.

Darden will host a number of other networking receptions in the US and around the world later this summer and into the fall. We will also host Open Houses in Charlottesville in September and October. We’ll begin to add events to our website over the next few weeks, so be sure to bookmark the page and check back.

We look forward to meeting you out on the road and on the Darden Grounds soon!

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: What’s the Big IDEA? Unique and Teachable Innovation Framework Enters the MBA Core Curriculum (Part 2)
This is the 2nd in a series of 3 multi-media posts chronicling a learning process which enables MBAs to make effective decisions when facing real-world ambiguity. By applying a unique innovation framework, MBAs and others can tackle the thorniest innovation challenges and create value.

The Challenge Is Made

On the second day of Darden’s new IDEA course (Innovation, Design, and Entrepreneurship in Action), five teams of students are listening closely as representatives from Capital One outline the challenge they’ll be tackling over the next seven weeks.

“Our competitors typically compete on the margins,” says senior manager Peter Olson (MBA ’14). “We want to compete on better experiences, which is a whole different way of thinking about it.”

Peter Olson and Amanda Lojewski Presenting Capital One’s Challenge to Darden Students

The question they pose is a broad one: “What is the future of rewards and financial services?”

The open-ended nature of the challenge is one that holds true across all 14 groups, from PBS (What is the best role for non-profit, public broadcast organizations to play in our increasingly connected world?) to Land O’Lakes (How would you increase understanding about GMOs and non-GMOs in the world food supply?).

This is intentional, says Professor Jeanne Liedtka, and it’s one of the aspects that makes the IDEA course such a contrast to the case method students have used so far. In a case, a question is framed, data is supplied, and the set of options for addressing the issue are relatively clear.

“This class gives them none of those,” Professor Liedtka said. “So they struggle with framing the problem, they struggle especially with getting the data, because the data is not easy to find, and then they struggle with the innovation part – to generate a set of solutions that’s not obvious from the outset.”

In helping students confront these difficulties, she says, “we create a set of expectations and beliefs about what decision-making looks like in the real world.”

In the Capital One room, the self-named “Dragons Team” (Stu Jansen, Eric Chen, Tim Brookins, and Gabriel Estrada) want more data. “We’re talking about incentivizing behaviors – it would be very helpful to have customer lifetime value statistics, spending statistics – do we have access to that?” Jansen asks.

Capital One Takes Student Questions

Olson tells the group:

“I can hear in a lot of these questions, you guys are trying to hone in, get more specific. We actually want this to be very open-ended and broad. Because we want to challenge how things are being done.”

Afterwards, the Dragons debrief in the hallway.

“We’re going to have to get that data on our own,” Jansen concludes. “They were focused on the ideas component, but we want it to be executable.”

“But it’s a good point,” Chen adds, “that if you limit your scope, you lose out on potential ideas.”

The design-thinking mindset is sinking in.

Two weeks later…

Students have created design criteria and gathered research.

WATCH as students work through the anxiety and ambiguity of the process

This is the heart of innovation, explains Professor Marc Lipson, another member of the faculty team. “You have to hold off on thinking about solutions and then let the little observations that you gather guide you in unexpected ways,” he said. “And it’s hard to hold off.”

Over at the Capital One group, the Dragons have gathered ideas about harnessing the power of positive peer pressure via social media and tying rewards to financial responsibility, among other things.

“I feel much better after today than I did last week,” Stu Jansen confides.

In fact, all the teams seem energized. Over the next few days, they’ll build the research and ideas they gathered into short “napkin pitches” – their first chance to put together potential concepts, and the next step in their learning journey.

Writer: Laura Longhine

Audio Interviews: Emily Richardson-Lorente

Photography and Video: Ashley Twiggs

Public Relations: Sophie Zunz

This post first appeared in the The Batten Institute‘s newsletter. The Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation seeks to improve society by creating knowledge about the transformative power of entrepreneurship and innovation and by cultivating principled, entrepreneurial leaders. We invite you to explore their section on our websitefollow them on social media, or join the IDEA network on LinkedIn.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Application Feedback Appointments Now Available
If you will be reapplying to Darden in the fall and would like to receive feedback on your application, you can schedule one 15-minute feedback session with a member of the Admissions Committee through the end of June. At this time, we are not offering feedback appointments to applicants on the waitlist. 

This is an opportunity to find out how you can improve your candidacy for your Darden application for the coming year. Please note that reconsideration for the current admission cycle is not an option.

To schedule a phone appointment, please go to our Application Feedback page and select a time slot in June. Within 48 hours of signing up for an appointment, you will receive an e-mail with the name and phone number for the Admissions Committee member you are to call at the designated time.

We look forward to talking with those of you that sign up!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hola! This is only relevant for admits from Spain & Portugal (or with high interest in working mainly in these markets based in Madrid!). I have just seen in Facebook the following:

Bain & Company Madrid Office is planning a Pre-MBA event at 19:30 in June 23rd and would like to invite the Darden UVA Class of 2018 admits. It is a unique opportunity to understand what we do in Strategy Consulting very early on!

Please **send an email to Patricia Miralles (patricia.miralles{@}bain{.}com, I can't write it as a normal email address, but you only have to delete the brackets) ** if you would like to attend, and she will answer back to you, or you can follow the instructions in the web page of Bain Madrid, where you also have more information.

If you are interested in Bain Madrid, even if you can't attend, also let her know!

Congratulations on your admission!
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Webinar: Darden On the Road
Darden on the Road

Wednesday, 8 June 2016

12:00 – 12:45 pm

Register Here

Darden’s summer events kick off this month, and we can’t wait to meet many of you on the road! Join members of Darden’s Admissions Committee for a webinar about our summer travel schedule. We’ll cover topics such as what type of events we attend and host, where we’ll be, and tips on how to make the most of an admissions event. There will also be time at the end for Q&A.

We hope you will join us next week!

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Reminder: Webinar Today
Today at 12 Noon EST: Don’t forget to join us for a webinar about our summer and fall events and travel schedule! Members of our Admissions Committee will share about the different ways you can get to know Darden over the next few months as you begin the b-school application process. We look forward to seeing you there!

Darden on the Road

TODAY: Wednesday, 8 June 2016

12:00 – 12:45 pm EST

Register Here

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Andrew Rose (MBA ’03) Shares His Most Memorable ‘Darden Moment’
We asked Andrew Rose (MBA ’03) to tell us about his most memorable ‘Darden moment.’ Below, hear about his Global Business Experience in China and why it still sticks with him today.

Watch the video: Andrew Rose’s ‘Darden Moment’

Andrew Rose (MBA ’03) is the president, chairman and CEO of Compare.com, the fast-growing comparison shopping site with a focus on insurance. Hear how the Darden School broadened Rose’s skill set and knowledge base, helping him climb the ranks of a technology company at the forefront of many industry trends. Compare.com has continued to recruit Darden graduates, who Rose says are ideally suited to thrive and lead in a fast-moving, increasingly global enterprise.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Visit Darden at Fridays in July
If you are interested in visiting Darden and Charlottesville over the summer, we have two upcoming opportunities in the month of July.

At Fridays in July, you will meet current students and faculty, tour the Darden Grounds and have lunch with members of the Admissions Committee. Although class is not in session, this event provides a great introduction to Darden and its tight-knit community.

Friday, 15 July 2016: Register Here

Friday, 29 July 2016: Register Here

We will also be announcing our Fall Open Houses in the coming weeks, and class visits will resume in August. To stay up to date on ways to visit the Darden Grounds, please go to our website.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Financial Times Ranks UVA Darden No. 3 in the World for Entrepreneurship
This piece originally appeared in Darden’s News & Events section on 27 June 2016.

Financial Times today ranked the University of Virginia Darden School of Business the No. 3 MBA program in the world for entrepreneurship.

This ranking recognizes the success of entrepreneurs from within the Darden community and the support that the Darden School and its global alumni network provide them.

“Darden has built one of the leading entrepreneurial ecosystems in all of graduate business education,” said Darden Dean Scott Beardsley. “The combination of Darden’s Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the School’s outstanding faculty and committed alumni, and the impact of the University of Virginia — with its strongholds in business, law, engineering, medicine and life sciences — is a powerful one for fostering remarkable entrepreneurial leaders.”

The Financial Times entrepreneurship ranking methodology considers each school’s entrepreneurial activity and successes, and the level of support provided both by the school and its alumni.

Darden received high marks for helping entrepreneurs start, finance and recruit talent to their ventures. Darden’s alumni also ranked near the top for helping entrepreneurs access a network that enabled them to advance their startups.

“Darden’s commitment to inspiring entrepreneurial thinking and action among its students rests on a foundation of world-class faculty, vast curricular and co-curricular entrepreneurship offerings, access to a worldwide network of advisors, and deep engagement with the entrepreneurial ecosystem at the University and beyond,” said Sean Carr, executive director of the Batten Institute. “We are proud of this recent recognition of our global standing, and it energizes us to do even more to help activate the next generation of entrepreneurs from Darden.”

Darden’s entrepreneurial ecosystem offers:

• Merit-based scholarships for entrepreneurially oriented students from around the world
  • Leading-edge faculty, whose work in entrepreneurship and innovation includes breakthrough ideas on effectuation and design thinking
  • Diverse and extensive entrepreneurship-related MBA courses and ongoing curricular innovations
  • Venture incubation and acceleration, hosted by Darden at the W.L. Lyons Brown III i.Lab at UVA
  • A venture internship program, supporting MBA students to join startups or VC firms
  • Support for University-wide competitions, research partnerships and conferences
  • Online courses, including specializations in design thinking and agile development
  • Tight linkages with entrepreneurial hubs in Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C.
  • Global Business Experiences for students in Stockholm (with a view on sustainability) and Barcelona (for strategy as design)
“The Darden School’s mission is to improve the world by developing and inspiring responsible leaders who are both global and entrepreneurial, and this latest ranking signals that we are meeting that challenge,” said Beardsley.

The Financial Times ranking follows the announcement earlier this year by the National Venture Capital Association naming Charlottesville the fastest-growing venture capital ecosystem in the nation, driven by investments secured by several Darden-supported ventures.

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden MBA 2016-17 Essay Question and Deadlines Announced
The Darden School of Business is pleased to announce its essay question for the 2016-2017 application season. The application is not yet live, but we wanted to share for those of you who would like to get a jump-start on writing your essay.

Describe the most important professional feedback you have received and how you responded to this feedback. (500 words)

In asking this question, the Admissions Committee invites you to reflect on your professional experience – both the lessons you learned and how you have used that information to move forward. When we read your answer, we hope to learn more about your background and about how you use feedback to better yourself, as well as how well you can articulate your learnings.

We are also excited to release the Full-Time Residential application deadlines for the upcoming season:

• Round 1 – October 4, 2016
  • Round 2 – January 9, 2017
  • Round 3 – April 6, 2017
We look forward to reading your applications this fall!

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts