Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPE
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Energy, General Management
Schools:Sloan R1, Fuqua R1, Haas R2, Wharton R2, Darden R2, Kellogg R2
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 4 yrs Oil & Gas (Engineering, Operations Management)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
question - when do interview invites go out for R2? also, if you're invited to interview for R2, around when are you expected to interview? thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
should be close to mid feb before they send out interview invites.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth (int-ding), Ross (admit), Said (admit), Fuqua (int-WL), McCombs (int-ding)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 2.5 Years with Tata Motors Limited (Automobile Manufacturing)
WE 2: 1.5 Years with Lanco Infratech Limited (Power Generation)
Send PM
socalscool wrote:
Hello Guys,
Out of a little separation anxiety and against my better judgment, I reread my submitted essays for Duke. I was shocked to find that I made a couple of grammatical mistakes in the essays. In fact, I was so panicked that I initially posted this message on some other thread, though got some good advice there. :oops: . Not my best moments, I know.

In your experience, how bad is it to have such errors. I think there are a total of three with a missing article at one place and extra one at another ( so total number of articles is correct :lol: ) and one tense error. Should I take any action regarding it or just sit tight and pray for the adcoms slight leniancy? Thanks for your input.

hey, its pretty human to make mistakes....everyone does and the adcom know it....there's no point in highlighting the issue...just pray that they dont mind it too much....at the end of the day, i doubt it will come down to that mistake being the reason for you not joining duke....its too trivial i think for adcoms to put too much attention to it....so relax...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hi All,

Had my Interview:

Started With normal chatting then Interview ....all standard questions ..
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why MBA
3. Why Duke
4. ethical dilemma
5. failure situation
6. leadership example outside the job + all the standards ones
7. any questions for me ?

I have made a couple of mistakes, so I am HUman :)

Interviewer: One of the interesting fuqua guys I met. They people are really passionate about what they are doing and So Am I. I give 100% marks to duke for this. I love duke :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Booth (int-ding), Ross (admit), Said (admit), Fuqua (int-WL), McCombs (int-ding)
 Q51  V42
Send PM
ans wrote:
Hi All,

Had my Interview:

2. Why MBA
3. Why Duke
4. ethical dilemma
5. failure situation

Interviewer: One of the interesting fuqua guys I met. They people are really passionate about what they are doing and So Am I. I give 100% marks to duke for this. I love duke :)

alum or adcom?? telephonic or campus??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
vyomneeraj wrote:
ans wrote:
Hi All,

Had my Interview:

2. Why MBA
3. Why Duke
4. ethical dilemma
5. failure situation

alum or adcom?? telephonic or campus??

Alum, face to face but not campus..:)
N now the wait begins ... 31st january 2011 should be a historic day :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q51  V42
Send PM
oh ok...i have my telephonic interview coming up with a 2nd year student...anyone has any tips for that?? coz i feel that adcoms and 2nd year students are generally more intrusive than alums since they are more motivated and dedicated to this task.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:
ATLapplicant wrote:
I think you're right MBADAWG. The one group for whom interviews may be more important, are applicants whose first language isn't English. The interview may be more important for those applicants because it gives them an opportunity to show that they can effectively communicate while at Fuqua. Again, I'm just speculating here and I'm sure there are folks who are strong in one area, but may raise questions in others. For those applicants, the interview may be an opportunity to address those concerns.

Speculating again, but I disagree. I think Duke and other similar schools such as Ross and Kellogg are very concerned about fit. Duke and Ross are also concerned about yield. I think the interview is a way to judge interest and fit. Many fit related questions came up during my interview with Fuqua.

Maybe so, but two weeks (the time between the on-campus interviews and R1 decisions) isn't very long to reevaluate a large portion of Fuqua's applicant pool.
If fit and yield are as important as you suggest, maybe this supports what MBADawg was saying about it almost being a pass/fail type situation.

I really think the application waivers that Duke offers are interesting. Through this policy, Duke is able to reward those who attend a Fuqua recruiting event, possibly increasing attendance to those events, and ensuring that a portion of their applicants are better informed about what Duke has to offer. This, in turn, may result in increased applications from those who better fit in at Fuqua, which could result in better satisfaction from current students and alumni and a higher yield of admitted students enrolling at Fuqua. By waiving the application fee for applicants with a family member or family friend who is an alum, Duke presumably also attracts more applicants with more of a connection to the program and thus, perhaps, a higher liklihood of enrolling if they're admitted. Duke also may become a fall back option for applicants to other top tier b-schools, potentially boosting the average GPA and GMAT scores of its applicants/students. All of this, in turn, potentially improves the program's rankings, thus reinforcing these same trends. I'm not sure if any of this is true, but I suspect it was the strategy behind the Adcom's policy and I think it could work to the school's benefit. Does anyone know how long Duke has been offering reduced or waived application fees? Do any other programs offer similar (non-need based) waivers/reductions? - I think Goizuetta may have a similar policy, though I'm not certain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
Kudos
vyomneeraj wrote:
oh ok...i have my telephonic interview coming up with a 2nd year student...anyone has any tips for that?? coz i feel that adcoms and 2nd year students are generally more intrusive than alums since they are more motivated and dedicated to this task.....

I am a current student who interviewed on campus with a second year last year. I think the questions you should be prepared for are those that have been listed above such as Why Fuqua? Why MBA? Performance in a team setting? Strengths/Weaknesses? ... The key is going to make your answers personal and to demonstrate that you understand why you want to attend the school and that you have thought about how Fuqua will be an important part of your professional career and life. This means, don't simply say "I want to go to Fuqua because it's a top business school, because it has a good culture, etc." Relate it to your experience and what you want to do and be specific about what aspects of the school you're interested in. Another factor is be personable, as a student we want be classmates with not only qualified but fun/interesting people (this is a big factor considering how much work is done in teams).

Bottomline: Interviews are supposed to be conversations and interviewers are not trying to confuse or test you; they are trying to get to know you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Wharton (R1), Duke (R1), Michigan (R1),
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I know this may sound like a silly question, but does anyone have advice on what to wear to the interview. I was going to wear a suit but noticed that the interview invite specifically says business casual.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Send PM
mdwenzel wrote:
I know this may sound like a silly question, but does anyone have advice on what to wear to the interview. I was going to wear a suit but noticed that the interview invite specifically says business casual.

Read few pages back:
calling-all-duke-2011-fuqua-applicants-94420-860.html#p841216
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: FINA
Schools:MIT, Duke, Yale, Indiana, University of Hong Kong
 Q45  V44
WE 1: Operations Manager at Import Wholesaler
Send PM
I submitted my application on 1/4 for R2.

GMAT: 720 (Q45V44)
GPA: 3.4 (3.96 in last 86 hours of college, abysmal before that)
WE: 3 years+ small business management
Nationality: U.S. Caucasian
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Roll Call Updated
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
arshankar wrote:
phone

Cool, How did you do you interview via phone? I had to pick one of the cities to physically go to on the application.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q51  V42
Send PM
mfa066 wrote:
arshankar wrote:
phone

Cool, How did you do you interview via phone? I had to pick one of the cities to physically go to on the application.

this happened for me as well...there was no interviewer in my location so I was given an option to travel to a different city or interview by phone...i chose the latter...they specifically mentioned that either decision had no impact on my chances either ways...so i gladly chose phone...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy and Corporate Finance
Schools:Duke Class of 2013
 Q50  V39
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Infrastructure Sector
WE 2: Information Systems Sector
Send PM
Hello All,

I had my Round 1 interview last week ! It was with an alum, my alum made me feel really feel at home during the interview, no out of the box questions !!

Pretty straightforward,

Run me through your Resume, Why MBA, leadership and team experiences and Why duke ?

All the best for others, now the wait begins till Jan 31st !!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPE
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Energy, General Management
Schools:Sloan R1, Fuqua R1, Haas R2, Wharton R2, Darden R2, Kellogg R2
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 4 yrs Oil & Gas (Engineering, Operations Management)
Send PM
vyomneeraj wrote:
mfa066 wrote:
arshankar wrote:
phone

this happened for me as well...there was no interviewer in my location so I was given an option to travel to a different city or interview by phone...i chose the latter...they specifically mentioned that either decision had no impact on my chances either ways...so i gladly chose phone...

I chose to interview in India in my application. My interviewer told me that India was full, and because I don't reside there, they opted for a phone interview. Moreover, I stay in a pretty remote location.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts