It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Military & Defense)
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 12:54
Decision not ready :?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
GPA: 3.75
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 12:58
Hormazd91 wrote:
Does anyone's SISS reflect financial aid information?

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

My SISS does not, but scholarship details were on the 2nd page of the decision letter for me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 13:53
MaskofMajora wrote:
Hormazd91 wrote:
Does anyone's SISS reflect financial aid information?

My SISS does not, but scholarship details were on the 2nd page of the decision letter for me.

Thanks! Turns out there's no $$$ for me.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.84
Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 14:16
Admitted! I got my call around 9-10 am (est).
Congratulate all who were admitted today!

Are there any to-do list after admittion? May be, some link?
Like: prepared some documents to that date and etc.
I am overwhelmed with all that information.

Does anyone know about scholarship info? Will we receive an additional letter?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.35
WE: Accounting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 15:07
Got the call in morning; 2nd acceptance :). Scholarship info is on 2nd page of electronic admission letter. Got to make a decision now...

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.35
WE: Accounting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 15:08
BagretsovaN wrote:
Admitted! I got my call around 9-10 am (est).
Congratulate all who were admitted today!

Are there any to-do list after admittion? May be, some link?
Like: prepared some documents to that date and etc.
I am overwhelmed with all that information.

Does anyone know about scholarship info? Will we receive an additional letter?

The scholarship info, if any, should be on the 2nd page of the electronic admissions letter when you log in and 'View Decision'; at least that's where I saw mine.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3706 [0], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 22:06

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 00:45
Woohoo! Any admitted folks from India?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 09:30
In for R2!

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 10:55
Out of curiosity, did any EA applicants receive scholarships? Admissions was adamant that those who apply EA would still be considered for scholarship just like R1, but I'm a little skeptical given the binding nature of EA.

Thrilled to have been admitted in October and can't wait for next year, but admittedly just a little bummed about the $$$.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 11:06
chris352 wrote:
Out of curiosity, did any EA applicants receive scholarships? Admissions was adamant that those who apply EA would still be considered for scholarship just like R1, but I'm a little skeptical given the binding nature of EA.

Thrilled to have been admitted in October and can't wait for next year, but admittedly just a little bummed about the $$$.

Hey! I'm a fellow EA admit from India. I know of at least 3 EA admits that have gotten some form of $$$. So the adcom is spot on! :) Can't wait to get to campus next year!!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Why Investment Banking? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 16:00
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Why Investment Banking?
Like many of my Fuqua classmates, my career objectives diverged from what I wrote in my admissions essays.

When I applied to the joint JD/MBA program in September 2014, only a few months into getting my Master in Accounting at The University of North Carolina, I was leaning more towards consulting, with a few other options on my radar—investment banking, tax law and ‘startup law.’ Fortunately, Fuqua’s MBA program doesn’t lock you into recruiting for a specific sector, and as it turns out, was a great platform to break into investment banking.

Exploring My Career Options
When I decided to complete the first year of my JD/MBA at the law school, it gave me additional time to figure out what career I did (and didn’t) want to pursue. So I spoke with former and present practitioners about the highs and lows of their job, took relevant elective courses to rule out the areas of law that didn’t interest me, and focused exclusively on recruiting through the business school before I even started my MBA.

I also attended the inaugural Poets & Quants Pre-MBA Networking Festival in New York City, where I visited the offices of several bulge bracket banks, picked the brains of bankers and bank HR reps, and came to the conclusion that banking was a better fit than consulting. To be sure I knew what I was getting myself into, I spent my summer reading several (favorable and unfavorable) books on investment banking.

Preparing for Recruiting
As I am sure any Fuqua student would tell you, preparation for on-campus recruiting starts and accelerates in the blink of an eye, just after orientation in July. To narrow my search, I got a deep dive into different sectors during the Career Management Center’s Career Intensive days in late August, participated in both the Consulting Club’s and the Finance Club’s Symposia in early September, and then met with bank representatives at company presentations almost every evening from late September until fall break. I spent most of fall break in New York, participating in the Finance Club’s Week on Wall Street networking receptions, followed by personally organized informational and behavioral interviews. November through early January is when final round interviews take place. I’ll travel to New York and meet with the banks where I’ve gained the most traction, prepare for technical interviews, and hopefully, attend invite-only events as they narrow down their candidate lists.

Future bankers #weekonwallstreet #fuqua #mba #fuquatravels #fallbreak

A photo posted by cl. (@cheney_li) on Oct 19, 2016 at 5:58pm PDT

Why Investment Banking?
One question that you’ll be asked during the interview process is why you’re interested in this particular career. My answers are:

• I want a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment, unlike the slow-paced state legislature and somewhat monotonous corporate in-house legal departments I worked in previously.
  • I want an environment like what I experienced at Duke—working alongside and learning from equally bright and driven colleagues.
  • I have an insatiable appetite for learning in general, but more importantly the business world and certain industries.
  • I want to utilize my law and accounting degrees, in conjunction with my MBA.
While much of this rationale could apply to “Why consulting?” or “Why Biglaw?,” I believe that my other graduate degrees fall more in line with the banking industry, and I like that an associate’s day is far less typical, more social, and looks at the big picture.

Why Fuqua?
If you want to recruit for investment banking but are undecided which MBA program will give you the best background, I’ll tell you that:

• Fuqua is a target school for all of the bulge bracket banks and an increasing number of boutiques.
  • Bankers tell us that Fuqua interns and associates tend to demonstrate better than average teamwork and communication skills, which are key to an investment banker’s success.
  • A smaller percentage of Fuqua students pursue investment banking than at many peer schools so the competition is less and students have more opportunities to stand out.
  • Fuqua’s team culture extends to the whole banking recruiting process, with candidates sharing advice, information, and practice interviewing with one another at every stage.
The post Why Investment Banking? appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager

Around The World: A Highlight of Fuqua’s Social Calendar [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 14:00
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Around The World: A Highlight of Fuqua’s Social Calendar
Once a term, you will find MBA students queuing up patiently to buy tickets to Around The World, the flagship event hosted by the Duke MBA Wine Club.

This social event takes place on the penultimate Tuesday of each term, giving students the chance to taste wine and learn about a carefully curated selection from a specific world region. Informally known as “ATW” on campus, this event is in such high demand that all 200 tickets typically sell out within 15 minutes. To me, it exemplifies everything fantastic about Fuqua. But of course I’m biased—I’m the co-president of the Wine Club).

Not only does the event enable students to relax with friends after a long day of classes, it is also a great opportunity to meet and get to know classmates you may not have previously. Attendees are split into groups of 25 to foster a more intimate experience, and each group visits three different wine “regions” to taste different wines over the course of the two-hour experience. Groups are randomized so that students have a greater chance of meeting people from different backgrounds, different sections, and different graduating classes.

What’s the longest line in the Fox Center this week during lunch? Tickets for the Around the World event put on by the Duke MBA Wine Club. One of the more popular events get to know your classmates while learning about wine from different regions

A photo posted by Duke Fuqua (@dukefuqua) on Sep 29, 2016 at 8:50am PDT

Additionally, the organization of the event speaks to the highly collaborative nature of Fuqua. The Wine Club Cabinet (or “Cabernet” as I like to call it) is comprised of 15 first- and second-year students, all of whom work tirelessly to ensure successful club events each term. So much work goes on behind the scenes when planning the logistics of the evening: securing funding, choosing a theme and the wines, distributing tickets, randomizing groups, buying the wines, and of course hosting the event across nine mini-venues. The Wine Club also collaborates with other Fuqua clubs (such as the Marketing Club, the Consulting Club, the Culinary Club, and the Cocktail & Spirits Club) to host a wide range of events each term.

On a personal level, I have found the position of Wine Club Co-President to be extremely rewarding, enabling me to hone my leadership skills and practice the (sometimes daunting) task of leading peers. I have learned so much from the experience so far, and crucially, have had a great time doing so. Even though I have hosted six of these wine tasting events to date, each continues to be a highlight of Fuqua’s social calendar that term.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x576.jpg

The post Around The World: A Highlight of Fuqua’s Social Calendar appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager

Beginning a Career in Energy: My PG&E Internship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 16:00
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Beginning a Career in Energy: My PG&E Internship
What do you want to be when you grow up? How many children hear this question and with palpable excitement in their eyes say, “I want to work at a UTILITY!”

I’m that kid in an adult body. The idea probably sounds ludicrous, because who wants to work at a utility? Maintaining this complex, resilient system is critical, but for the last 100 years, it has not necessarily been interesting.

But that conventional wisdom has changed dramatically. As an MBA, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) rocketed to the top of my most-desired employer list, because the utility of the past is being upended by climate change, the natural gas revolution, and renewable energy.

Renewable energy is arguably the greatest single opportunity to overcome the looming threat of climate change. But with that promise comes the kind of thorny systemic, financial and business model challenges that can light a fire under the most ambitious of MBAs. All of these challenges are connected by the grid. That’s why, when I was offered an internship at the San Francisco-based PG&E, the utility at the forefront of all these transformations, it felt like I won the recruiting lottery.

Before Fuqua, I was a Foreign Affairs Major
Fuqua has the kind of sterling reputation among the wider energy industry that lends you the credibility you need to get the attention of employers like PG&E. Before Fuqua, I’d never worked in or studied energy (I was a foreign affairs major), nor worked in an engineering, operations, or strategy function. All I really had was an unbridled passion for the subject. When I was applying for schools, I choose Fuqua because Duke’s MBA not only offered an unparalleled business education, but it was also the best energy school in the country. Unlike many schools which specialized in a single industry segment, Duke was strong across the full spectrum of energy—from oil & gas, to clean tech, to renewables—with the community and resources to help me leapfrog into interesting, impactful work.

The Amazing Energy Opportunities at Fuqua
When I arrived as a first-year student, the first thing I did was join the Fuqua Energy Club. I went to events hosted by the Duke University Energy Initiative. I took the Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment (EDGE) Seminar—a distinguished speaker series that covered Chevron, Opower, NextEra and Duke Energy. I signed up for an Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP) studying the market impact of the Clean Power Plan. Second-years who had interned in the industry and Duke alumni spent hours talking to me about potential employers. Fuqua provided the resources and network to build the knowledge, network, and experience I needed to get that summer internship at PG&E and begin a career in energy.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x602.jpg

The Internship: Real World, Real Problems
While at PG&E, I was assigned a project I didn’t initially think I would like—working with the Gas Regulatory Strategy team on the Gas Safety Plan. However, it didn’t take me long to realize that I had hit the goldmine. I found that I knew very little about Natural Gas, which is often considered a bridge fuel to a clean energy future. Since safety is the core thread that winds through all natural gas operations at PG&E, I got a crash course from nearly every manager in the gas business (also an excellent networking opportunity) and had several opportunities to present directly to the senior leadership of Gas Operations. I got the exposure I never dreamed of, learned more about natural gas in 10 weeks than I had in the last 10 years, and was able to publish a critical safety report, all during one summer.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 00x225.jpg
But the best part was the MBA program—I met five friends with whom I bonded instantly. We had the opportunity to tour hydropower plants, participate in the PG&E float in the San Francisco Pride Parade, go to a Giants game together, eat pizza at Indian Rock Park watching the sunset in Berkeley, and hear from senior executives like the CFO of the company. We celebrated together when we all got offers, and I signed mine shortly after I returned to Fuqua with a great deal of excitement and anticipation.

To that little kid inside, it feels a bit like Fuqua has made it possible for me to do all these things, and to use these two years to make myself into the type of person that can achieve the things I want for my life and career.

The post Beginning a Career in Energy: My PG&E Internship appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Duke '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge
My Fuqua Review [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 10:52

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 3

GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
In for Round 2!

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 13:31
Hi guys,

After visiting the school in November, I finally submitted my application yesterday.

Good luck everyone!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 06:58
Submitted for Round 2!!

How long do they take to get back with the shortlisting?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 08:23
Hi,

The interview invitations will be sent on February 2nd by midnight.

One month to go!

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/admissions/

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 09:06
Hope everyone is doing well. Just one day left to submit applications in R2. Good luck to all applicants!!

Here's a quick analysis of admission trends observed in Fuqua's EA and R1 admission rounds in this year....

• Combined acceptance rate of EA+R1 applicants is 18.68% and interview acceptance rate is 37.74%.
  • Individual acceptance rates of EA and R1 applicants are 14.68% & 21.92% respectively. They are somewhat lower than last 5 years average acceptance rates..
  • 8.17% applicants have been waitlisted.
  • As expected, avg GMAT & GPA of admits are higher than those of overall application pool.
  • Of 32 admits who reported their GMAT scores on forum, 6 admits (18.75%) have been accepted with less than 700 GMAT.

Duke EA+R1 Stats (GMATClub Users)
Avg GMATGMAT RangeAvg GPAWork Experience (in Years)
Overall720610-7803.475
Admitted728670-7703.595
Denied/Waitlisted717610-7803.435

*Source: GMAT Club Applicant Data

Attachment:
Duke_EA_R1_Admits.png
Duke_EA_R1_Admits.png [ 30.67 KiB | Viewed 5017 times ]

Any thoughts, comments are most welcome. Do let us know how you are approaching essays and other parts of the application.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2017, 09:06

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  29    Next  [ 566 posts ] 

Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap