It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  
2 KUDOS received
Haas EWMBA Thread Master
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Creating a place for Haas EWMBA applicants to hang out and network with other applicants. We can use this platform to know each-other, build network, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process.

Happy networking.

EWMBA Reviews | EWMBA Decision Tracker | Admission Deadlines | Haas EWMBA - Admission Trends!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 23:23
dlanderer wrote:
Does anybody know what percentage of applicants receive an interview?

Going by the self reported decision updates of GMATclub users, roughly 40% of EWMBA applicants receive interview invitation. And as jsmallwood82 and diverboy1988 stated, you have 50/50 chance of acceptance after interview. Do check our article Haas EWMBA - Admission Trends for more insights.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 23:24
ValleyTech wrote:
Does Haas EWMBA program have a single interview day (for a given round) for all interview invitees or do the applicants have the option to choose an interview date?

I live in the Bay Area and I interviewed on Friday for round 2. I was given the option of picking a 30 minute time slot from 5 different days. When I interviewed I only noticed one other person who was there to interview. I’m a re-applicant, and last year I was applying from out of state and they had a Saturday interview day for most applicants from outside of the Bay Area. There were close to 50 getting interviewed. This year I got an invite within a week of submitting my application. Last year when I applied from out of state it took over a month to receive an invite. Not sure if the delay is related to being out of state, but something to consider.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
jsmallwood82 Are you sure that if you don't get an interview you can still get an acceptance?
1 KUDOS received
Haas EWMBA Thread Master
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
dlanderer a friend that recently graduated from the ewmba. He did not get an interview the second time he applied, and was accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
USC Marshall Thread Master
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:31
dlanderer absolutely sure. That is one of the main points they make when they talk about the interview. They said it in the two webinars I went to, they said it at the alumni panel I attended, and they said it at the diversity summit I went to. I don't agree with the previous 90% interview rate number that was given regarding interview invitations. Think about it this way - if 90% of applicants are interviewed and getting accepted after an interview is around 50/50, that would mean the class size would be much much larger.

Secondly, it's Haas. Much like Stanford, think about how many people apply. There's no way you can interview everyone that you end up accepting. Even Stanford with a much larger staff and more money can only interview around 60% of their applicants (they do 1K interviews per round or try to at least). So getting an interview at Haas is similar - it is either a little more or a little less than a coin flip (+/- 10%)

No interview means either you're a sure shot for getting in or a sure shot for not getting in, like a bell curve. You can determine what that means for you, since I don't know your academic or professional background. It's different for everyone. That's why I think the 30-40%% interview invitation rate is much more accurate. I can't speak to the percentage of people who don't get an interview and are accepted, but I can speak to the interview rate.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
The EWMBA acceptance rate is 47.4%, so a 90% interview rate and a subsequent 50/50 admit of the interview pool roughly translates to that acceptance rate.
1 KUDOS received
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
dlanderer wrote:
The EWMBA acceptance rate is 47.4%, so a 90% interview rate and a subsequent 50/50 admit of the interview pool roughly translates to that acceptance rate.

This is a 3 year old post, but Liz Rosenberg is still in admissions at Haas (personally spoke to her 6/15/17 when I first decided to pursue an MBA). Maybe this can help; it answers a lot of your questions straight from the horse's (er, bear's) mouth: https://mafiadoc.com/online-application ... 2b24b.html
2 KUDOS received
Haas EWMBA Thread Master
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
jsmallwood82 I found the exact same thing in the following EWMBA podcast, but the 90% statistic was provided by my interviewer.
jsmallwood82 and dlanderer My interviewer also mentioned you MUST have been interviewed to be accepted. Just passing on what I learned in my interview. But as an aside, I had heard from blogposts individuals have been accepted without an interview, I just don't know how much faith to put into random blogs.

Best of luck to you all!

http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/podca ... wtips1.mp3

jsmallwood82 wrote:
dlanderer wrote:

This is a 3 year old post, but Liz Rosenberg is still in admissions at Haas (personally spoke to her 6/15/17 when I first decided to pursue an MBA). Maybe this can help; it answers a lot of your questions straight from the horse's (er, bear's) mouth: https://mafiadoc.com/online-application ... 2b24b.html
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 15:01
diverboy1988 best of luck to you as well! Fair point regarding what you just wrote, and really everything you wrote haha. I go in for my interview tomorrow dlanderer so I'll try to ask and see what indicators I get.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 15:02
Thanks jsmallwood82

So, it looks like just over 4 years ago (November 2013) they interviewed the majority of the applications--2 out of every 3 applicants.
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 15:12
dlanderer wrote:
Thanks jsmallwood82

So, it looks like just over 4 years ago (November 2013) they interviewed the majority of the applications--2 out of every 3 applicants.

Holy crap, I really thought it was 2016 for a second lol. Good catch. Yes around 2/3.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 15:26
Best of luck tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
diverboy1988 wrote:
dlanderer a friend that recently graduated from the ewmba. He did not get an interview the second time he applied, and was accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Attachment:
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG [ 42.6 KiB | Viewed 1908 times ]

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
Officially paid the deposit and very excited to be joining Haas! Best of luck to all the R2 applicants and hope to see you in the fall in Berkeley! :-)
4 KUDOS received
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
dlanderer wrote:
Best of luck tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

Ok I'm back! Sorry for the delay - ended up going to the Haas Entrepreneurship Panel and then had an all day job interview today.

Let's talk about the interview. I felt this way before, but the interview solidified this. Don't worry about "preparing" per se for the interview. At the end of the day, the only thing you should prepare for with any interview is that you need to be very decisive about what you want out of your life and your career. This goes beyond an MBA but if you are able to be decisive, it makes your interview preparation process way more chill and your answers will be more comfortable/natural. Everyone's questions will be slightly different, but for Haas, they cover the following:

Walk me through your resume - Much like a job interview; be able to confidently answer why you chose your field, why you chose certain jobs, what empirical benefit you gave to the company, and any leadership positions you held or projects you led. For me personally, because I held a lot of leadership roles at a lot of jobs, currently run a startup, and started my career at 10 (no joke), this was like 95% of my interview haha. That typically doesn't happen. It's usually like 1/4 of the interview. One question you should be ready to answer is why you left certain roles, especially if you were there less than a year. I get these questions in job interviews, but my interviewer at Haas was more astute about my career path and dates than what I had experienced during my Anderson interview.

Why did you choose your career path - This seems similar to the above, but I separated this question out because this is where Haas gives you room to give more intrinsic reasons for why you are going down your career path.

Why an MBA - Duh. Every grad school question haha.

Why Haas - Double duh. However, one thing I will say about this question is that this is where you can probably stand to subtly incorporate the principles. I'm not as intelligent as the rest of the people on this thread so I honestly forgot to plan to address the principles. However, by the grace of God, when I answered why an MBA and why Haas, I addressed two of the principles without knowing it. So at least they know my answers weren't contrived. I also was able to point out specific aspects of Haas that I wanted to take advantage of as an aspiring entrepreneur. I had researched what they have at Haas and the organizations tangentially connected to them. Oh and I also slipped in what cultural benefit I could bring to Haas, that would help the class. So I took the info from my class visits and information sessions and positioned the second half of this answer as what aspects of Haas' culture my inclusion could bolster.

What would you change about your current job - I really liked this one. Mainly because I complain about my day job almost daily and come up with a ton of hypothetical solutions haha. What was cool about this question too was because I run a stealth mode startup on the side and we have been getting traction/investor interest, I was able to juxtapose what I thought my day job should do and how I remedy and validate my beliefs with my startup.

What do you think you bring to a work environment - Don't be fooled, just see this as "what are you going to bring to Haas' culture, and how will the refinement through Haas allow you to bring an elevated version of your 'secret sauce' to a company post MBA graduation". Just make sure you answer it as what you bring to a work environment and try to slide in how that will be reflected in Haas' culture if you get in.

What do you like to do for fun - Don't be weird or stiff about this. Just be honest. I messed up a little bit here because I was so passionate that I kept talking for 5 minutes longer than I wanted to on that question. Another negative, because I like helping people become better versions of themselves (applying for schools, applying for jobs, running companies, etc.) I kept repeating how I know that because of the unique experiences I've had, my duty is to give back. I'm just really passionate about it, but I may have rambled too long on that particular tidbit as well (much like this post).

Any questions for me - I just asked how they support entrepreneurs and I asked about some of the tangential organizations that they are affiliated with and how their logistics work. Dumb thing I did (on a long list of dumb things I do daily), I asked what she felt like Haas needed reinforcement in culturally and what type of students could do that. I think she interpreted that as me asking "what do you want me to be so I can get in". I was honestly just curious; don't be like me haha.

Miscellaneous tidbits:
Their poker face game is strong. Don't think you can read their faces and get an indication or doom or reassurance. Just be yourself.
The room they bring you in is small. I didn't care. I went to an HBCU that didn't always have the best resources so I was just happy to have some water and a chair.

I ASKED ABOUT THE CONTROVERSIAL INTERVIEW DEBATE THAT WE HAD 2 DAYS AGO! I made sure to ask the admissions staff for EWMBA, including one of the directors
For EWMBA, you must interview if you're going to get accepted. No interview, no acceptance
They interview around 30-40% of applicants each year for EWMBA. No word on acceptance rates out of that pool, but you can do the math.

Hope this long diatribe helps. If you all have any questions, message me. I'm like the worst applicant of all time outside of my career milestones, so frankly, getting these interviews is surprising to me. I want to help anyone who applies anywhere to succeed. Because I'm such a long shot, if I can't get in, I at least want to help others get in. Then I'll beg you all for money or a job.
Invited to Interview
10 Feb, 2018
kejoma312 GMAT: 740, Q50, V41; GPA: 3.15; WE: 75 months; United States, VA; via Email
Received at 8PM EST
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.15
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Received Round 2 interview invite via email today (02/10) at 8PM EST. Scheduled to interview on 03/03.

Good luck everybody!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.67

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 13:18
kejoma312 Congratulations! When did you submit your application ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.15
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 13:29
Sharan Sadras wrote:
kejoma312 Congratulations! When did you submit your application ?

Submitted 1/16.
Invited to Interview
09 Feb, 2018
BlueOwl GMAT: 710, Q47, V41; GPA: 3.86; WE: 38 months; United States; via Email
Re: Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2018, 15:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 223 posts ] 

Calling all Haas(Berkeley) EWMBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2021

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap