GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 15:43
chipmonster wrote:
Got my invite at 12:09. I have a pretty normal background. Public school undergraduate, master in accounting and have been working in public accounting for four years (currently in my fifth year). Decent GPA and GMAT. No fancy extracurriculars but the activities reflect a consistent interest and passion. I wrote my essay as if I was talking to the class. Very conversational. Did not really talk about why HBS but I did briefly mention the case method (without using the exact words) and how I would be able to contribute.

Good luck everybody!

750 GMAT classified as decent would explain why I am on the outside looking in.

Congrats btw!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 15:45
TheLostOne wrote:
chipmonster wrote:
Got my invite at 12:09. I have a pretty normal background. Public school undergraduate, master in accounting and have been working in public accounting for four years (currently in my fifth year). Decent GPA and GMAT. No fancy extracurriculars but the activities reflect a consistent interest and passion. I wrote my essay as if I was talking to the class. Very conversational. Did not really talk about why HBS but I did briefly mention the case method (without using the exact words) and how I would be able to contribute.

Good luck everybody!

Sorry - I did not mean to sound arrogant. 750 is a solid score but considering my non MBB/PE/IB background, I needed that score to paint a picture that I am well rounded. Plus, I'm in a demographic group where everybody gets 750+ haha.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 16:31
chipmonster wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:
chipmonster wrote:

Good luck everybody!

Sorry - I did not mean to sound arrogant. 750 is a solid score but considering my non MBB/PE/IB background, I needed that score to paint a picture that I am well rounded. Plus, I'm in a demographic group where everybody gets 750+ haha.

You're ok, young gunner. Just giving you some ****.

I also ninja-edited a congrats in there to let you know I am not bitter :-D

Just some of us have scores that start with 6, and it is a persistent reminder that it probably isn't up to snuff.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Booth '18 (M)
GPA: 3.5
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 16:54
MBB, STEM, grad degree, no invite. It does seem like people from my firm have already received invites.
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 19:37
White European
Worked in Africa for 1yr and Bhutan for 1yr in social venture
750 GMAT
Average GPA from a 2nd tier school in Germany

--> No invitation, not much hope left.

I am the master of my faith;
I am the captain of my soul.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.88
WE: Project Management (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 22:45
Age 31, Turkish, 720 GMAT, GPA 3.86, Business Major, 7 yrs WS at matriculation, Program Manager at the largest life insurance company of the country, CFA Charterholder. No invite here.
Current Student
Schools: HBS '18 (A)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 01:18
Hoopaloops wrote:
Was too busy at work to realize I didn't get an invite until just now. I applied R2 last year and got an interview before ultimately being dinged, so here's to hoping on the 8th or 14th.

same here
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 03:53
dias86 wrote:
Hoopaloops wrote:
Was too busy at work to realize I didn't get an invite until just now. I applied R2 last year and got an interview before ultimately being dinged, so here's to hoping on the 8th or 14th.

same here

nothing on my end either. hoping for the 8th. 104,820 seconds to go. what really confuses me from a rational stand-point is that 'apparently' their interview sign-on website cannot handle more than 600 or so invites on day 1 (yesterday), yet a marginal increase by 350 extra invites would have all of a sudden brought the entire system to a MELT DOWN???? Surely if the existing application system can handle MASS overload on R1 submission deadline day (up to 3000 applications!!!), the sign-on system ought to as well. Besides, it is HARVARD we are talking about here...they should have THEE cutting edge systems. Can't rationalize this. Illogical. Excuses.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:09
jdharris wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:
I would do some outrageous things to get an interview invite.

Amen

Amex x 2 and Amen! :p
Jd, just by coincidence, was going through the PY thread to get insights and spotted you there, are you finding commonalities from PY application/results process to this year? Good luck, really hope you get it!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V39
WE: Brand Management (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:09
illuminator wrote:
dias86 wrote:
Hoopaloops wrote:

same here

nothing on my end either. hoping for the 8th. 104,820 seconds to go. what really confuses me from a rational stand-point is that 'apparently' their interview sign-on website cannot handle more than 600 or so invites on day 1 (yesterday), yet a marginal increase by 350 extra invites would have all of a sudden brought the entire system to a MELT DOWN???? Surely if the existing application system can handle MASS overload on R1 submission deadline day (up to 3000 applications!!!), the sign-on system ought to as well. Besides, it is HARVARD we are talking about here...they should have THEE cutting edge systems. Can't rationalize this. Illogical. Excuses.

Could it be about giving priority to certain people in certain regions? Just guestimating here..

- "Sometimes the truth usn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded." Batman

Stanford Thread Master
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:15
illuminator wrote:
Jd, just by coincidence, was going through the PY thread to get insights and spotted you there, are you finding commonalities from PY application/results process to this year? Good luck, really hope you get it!!!!!!!!!

PY? I'm not familiar with that.

Either way, I appreciate the luck; I'll certainly need it... I have a baaaaad feeling, unfortunately :(

Good luck to you, as well!!!
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:20
ignatova wrote:
Could it be about giving priority to certain people in certain regions? Just guestimating here..

They always say "there is no rhyme or reason, don't speculate as to when you will get an invitation..."

That being said, I always speculate and inviting by region could be an explanation. I hope.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:42
nothing on my end either. hoping for the 8th. 104,820 seconds to go. what really confuses me from a rational stand-point is that 'apparently' their interview sign-on website cannot handle more than 600 or so invites on day 1 (yesterday), yet a marginal increase by 350 extra invites would have all of a sudden brought the entire system to a MELT DOWN???? Surely if the existing application system can handle MASS overload on R1 submission deadline day (up to 3000 applications!!!), the sign-on system ought to as well. Besides, it is HARVARD we are talking about here...they should have THEE cutting edge systems. Can't rationalize this. Illogical. Excuses.[/quote]

Could it be about giving priority to certain people in certain regions? Just guestimating here..[/quote]

well yes, my point is that there is a preferential treatment... as to what it is, i dont really care. my point is that it cannot just be 'server load' issues.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 04:44
jdharris wrote:
illuminator wrote:

Either way, I appreciate the luck; I'll certainly need it... I have a baaaaad feeling, unfortunately :(

py = prior year...
Current Student
Concentration: Sustainability, Finance
Schools: HBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Oct 2015, 17:35
Totally agree

Originally posted by wxagr on 07 Oct 2015, 05:28.
Last edited by wxagr on 19 Oct 2015, 17:35, edited 2 times in total.
Stanford Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 05:32
illuminator wrote:
jdharris wrote:
illuminator wrote:

py = prior year...

Oh, gotcha!

Well, I was only able to apply to one school last year (Stanford), so I don't have much to compare to. I received an invitation to interview, but I wasn't selected for admission, unfortunately. That's the only "result" I have. Wish I could be more helpful.

Side note: As for why only Stanford in particular... it had more to do with circumstance than anything else, which made it the only school I could apply to at the time (reeeaaally long story). This year, I'm able to apply to a bunch of different schools, so hopefully one gives me a chance :)

Let me know if you any questions in particular. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't feel comfortable talking about it on here.
Stanford Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 06:55
illuminator wrote:
jdharris wrote:
illuminator wrote:

py = prior year...

You need to turn your private chat on for me to respond to you :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 06:57
I actually think HBS was sincere about server capacity constraints.

Looking at last year's thread several people had trouble logging into the the interview system - it seems it was indeed overloaded.

Good luck to all!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Booth '18 (M)
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 08:20
I think it may be better if rejections were sent out along with invites on 6th, so people who are already rejected don't have false hopes and people who are still waiting know they have the same chance for invites on the 8th.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2015, 08:40
bSchool2018 wrote:
I think it may be better if rejections were sent out along with invites on 6th, so people who are already rejected don't have false hopes and people who are still waiting know they have the same chance for invites on the 8th.

yeah precisely. whats the point. really, in 2 days they will suddenly cast judgement on 2100 or so 'rejections' as firm rejections? And if that's the case that in 2 days they can deduce rejections (between the 6th and 8th), then why not actually bring out rejection decisions 2 days after applications for R1 close? So clearly that is not possible, hence it is logical that they already know who the rejections are. Clearly they rejected a large population already. waste of my hope and time.

Originally posted by illuminator on 07 Oct 2015, 08:38.
Last edited by illuminator on 07 Oct 2015, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2015, 08:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20  ...  43    Next  [ 854 posts ] 

Calling all Harvard Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: ydmuley

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap