GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V33
GPA: 3.74
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 06:30
Had my interview today. a 15-20 mins session. Panel - 2 people.

One word : commit. Nothing much ot be done here.

Interview: It was a grilling session where one of the interviewer constantly put me in a negative light - u r not fit for ISB, u r not fit for consulting, u cannot survive in strategy consulting (McKinsey BCG). I went on replying as to how and why I differ.

Really do not know what to make out of such a conversation. :?: :cry:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 06:50
My Interview Debrief in Delhi - 10:00AM
One word Essay on 'Decorum'

My panelist had two male interviewers - very polite and comfortable to talk with.
They directly jumped into my Essay with asking my introduction and all as if they were in a hurry. I was second to get interviewed today.
Here's a small chit chat I remember during interview.

Interviewer: So.. I see you have patents Granted. Please elaborate.
Me: I did best to elaborate in a very generic manner - not sounding too technical at all.

Interviewer: Okay. What are the three important parameters on which a patent may be granted?
Me: I answered.

They kept asking abt patent laws and all for next 10mins!!

Interviewer: So WHY MBA? and Why one year MBA from ISB?
Me: Explained my reasoning. Praised ISB :)

Interviewer: Why can't you position yourself(product Management) in the current company only. Do you really need MBA for that?
Me: Explained that I wish to change role that my organization doesn't offer.

Interviewer: Ever heard of Google Glass ? How will you price that product ?
Me: Did my best and gave my approach.

Interviewer: What are the top skills of a product manager?
Me: Gave my opinion.

Interviewer: Okay We are done.. Any questions?
Me: I asked one question regarding the curriculum of ISB.

Interviewer: Thanks! We are Done. Good Luck.
Me: Thank You.

No questions on Hobbies & Interests and any other activities outside professional work, although I had mentioned a few.
Interview lasted for around 30mins.

Advise - Please be clear about your post MBA roles and focus on your key selling points. They will emphasize upon skills that distinguish you from the pool of applicants. As I had mentioned my patents..so they grilled me for that half of the interview.

Good Luck!
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 23:07
kinjiGC and ranjanav22 Thanks a lot:)
Tough luck for ISB that they could catch me :P :-D

I will be happy if people get in ISB and remember me :)
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 00:55
Hi all !
I was interviewed yesterday at 4.45 pm, Delhi.
There were two panel members.. and I must appreciate their politeness, approach and professionalism.
The first question was about one of my hobbies.
Then a series of questions followed -- about my organization's performance, impact of govt. policies, disinvestment .
I was then asked to explain in-depth (means lots of details) about my profile, esply. my current role and previous role at workplace : around 20 min discussion.
Then why MBA despite of a good job?

The interview lasted for around 35 min with exchange of smiles.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 06:27
Hello,

Below is my interview debrief on Jan 3rd (pretty late but I hope it helps those who are yet to be interviewed). Questions not in order.

Venue: Hyderabad Campus (was originally Skype but was in Hyd for business reasons so opted for face-to-face)

One word: Authority

Panel: 3 alums (1 lady, 2 men), At least 1 mgmt. consultant

Duration: 25-30 mins

-What do your folks do? Why not join your dad's firm?

-What is consulting/What do you know about consulting?

Who are consultants etc.
I said consultants use their expertise and firms' expertise. Asked how the latter happens.
Talk about initiative mentioned in essay 2. (~4 mins)
Things you would change in the initiative mentioned in essay 2.
What are your strengths? Role play: I am hired as an external Consultant at a school. Membership has decreased in the last two years. Why and what to do?
After 5-7 minutes of me asking questions and getting answers, and post an alum's suggesting (just before concluding the discussion) to put on hat of end-user of the school, we arrived at a consensus about the reason. I was asked for a final recommendation.
What do you like about consulting?
Which vertical excites you?
Difference between strategy and operations
Any questions for us?

Cheers and all the best to others.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: ISB '17 (M), IIMB (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 11:37
Hi, had my skype interview over the weekend (Jan-31; 10:00 AM IST).

Profile: GMAT: 710; BE/MS Mech; Work-Ex: 39 months in Automotive in the U.S.

Panelists: Associate Director L&D (Guy), Associate Director (Lady) (2013 ISB Alum).

Q1: Explain the challenges with the project I did with Marketing (from essay's).
Q2: If you want to change the strategy of a vehicle feature what are the considerations you need to take into account?
Q3: What is the difference between the U.S. and Indian automotive market? (was probed a bit on this)
Q4: Why is the passenger vehicle market not growing in India? (might have blown this one)
Q5: What is your biggest achievement?
Q6: What are the things that your evaluator (current supervisor) might want you to improve upon?
Q7: How are you structured, Individual contributor or as a team?
Q8: Give me an example where you showed leadership skills?
Q9: Why coin collection? What different currencies have you collected? (from hobbies)
Q10: How many times have gone white water rafting? (again hobbies)
Q11: What you pack for a 3-day trekking endeavor? (again hobbies)
Q12: Any questions for us?

It lasted for about 20-25 mins. There were no WHY questions or GOALS questions or WHAT I bring to the table. At the end of the interview I wasn't really sure if it went good or bad (But with the re-runs in my head looks like I bombed it). Now just waiting for the verdict on Feb 14-15. All the best to everyone either waiting for the results or their interviews.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 14:52
Hi Everyone,

This is going to be a long post and Sorry for that. Also, I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the right thread for my queries. If not, please redirect me to the right thread.

I'm trying to know about some of the aspects of ISB curriculum to evaluate if the PGP program fits me. Searched all over the internet but couldn't find such deep details. I believe only an alum or someone who spoke to an alum about these details can provide such info.

The questions might look strange but I'm expecting to learn specific skills from the MBA program caring less for others. And the answers for the questions below help me arrive at a decision based on those parameters.

1) If I have a business idea, what kind of help can I expect from ISB?
I know all the student blogs and general gyan websites mention that ISB is a go-to place for entrepreneurship. But reality might be different. So, how is the scenario on the ground there?

2) Class Participation
- Does every course has weightage for CP? If yes, what is the percentage?

3) I know there are lots of assignments in ISB courses. What is the structure of evaluation of courses and assignments?
- Are they just written assignments?
- Do they involve presentations to audience for evaluation? If yes, who are the audience? Professors or the class? Who should be giving the presentations - Anyone from the team or everyone? What is the weightage?
- How many courses have presentations?
- What are the weightages - for case studies, assignments and term exams?

4) Attendance
- What is the minimum attendance percentage necessary?

Thanks in Advance.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2015, 21:50
zozoo wrote:
Hello Delhi Folks, Anyone Who was interviewed by Panel 5 at Delhi on Friday, 30th?

Yes, I had my interview with Panel 5 at Delhi on 30th. Two panel members and they were extremely polite and cordial.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2015, 00:00
Sorry for the delay guys.

Here is my interview debrief:

Location: ISB campus, Hyderabad. (Preferred location - Bangalore)
Date: 31st January 2015

My profile: GMAT :700. B.Tech, M.S Biotechnology , 4 years experience

One word essay: Ecstatic .

As soon I started writing my essay they called my name for interview at 3:25 pm. My interview was scheduled at 4:15pm with Panel 4 originally. But Panel 1 was free as the candidate they were supposed to interview was delayed so they asked me to come and write the essay after the interview. I was done by 3:45pm.

Panel 1 consisted of two members - Ms. Mala and Ms. Niharika ( I am assuming both are alums). They were very friendly and the interview was very relaxed. The interview lasted for about 15- 20min. I do not know if it's good thing or bad thing but it just left me totally surprised. But I think the 15 min went well.

Q.1 What made you come back to India when people in research don't come back from US due to lack of research in India. They wanted to know my thought process behind my decision.
Q2. What kind of roles I was looking at after MBA?
Q3. The companies which I hold in high regard. When I gave a few names she said they are all really big billion dollar companies to which I said they started small and nothing wrong in dreaming big. I said you have to start somewhere for which she agreed and smiled.
Q4. Asked about the high investment required for pharma and what was I planning to do for that.
Q5. Asked why operations ?
Q5. In between all these somewhere they asked me about my maritial status and we deviated a couple of minutes there
Q6. Asked me where I was from and gave me a guesstimate to construct an airport and parking space there. They said that they were interested to see my thought process because my references spoke very highly of my analytical skills and asked not to worry about the numbers. I started to answer immediately but they said take your time, write it down and then tell us.

Then they said they were good and asked me if I had any questions for them.

I asked about Max healthcare institute and curriculum changes. She said about last year changes but was not sure about this year so asked me to write to admissions.

Some where towards the end one of them asked me how comfortable I was moving to Mohali.

When they said they were done I commented on how short it was for which they smiled. I thanked them and asked for their names again as I forgot and left.

As soon as I came out I started speaking to the other candidates on how short the interview was but one of my panel members came out and asked me finish my essay first and give it to them. Did as instructed and wrote the essay in 10 min and then walked out.
The panel was very friendly and it was a very relaxing interview.
I am really confused and worried about the time factor. There were no questions on extracurriculars, essays, my break from work or work related questions.
Fingers crossed until the 15th!!!

Thank you Ankur for maintaining the forum. It has been very useful!!! Also thank you rohan and digvijay for taking the time to speak with me and give me advice.

Good luck everyone.
Cheers,
Shailika
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2015, 01:30
Folks,

Here's my interview debrief:

Date: 31st January 2015
Panel No. : 3
One word essay: Serenity

My Profile :
GMAT : 710
Work Experience : 6.5 yrs
Industry : IT (Product based MNC)
Role : Senior Developer

The interview was scheduled for 12:15 and it started around 12:20. I reached the location at around 11:00 and was guided to a room where 3 people were seated. All had completed their one word essay and they were discussing each others profiles. Getting involved in this conversation helped me a lot to calm my nerves and get ready for the interview. They also informed me about the folks who had left earlier and gave insights on different panels. Overall, it seemed like the panelists were:-

1. Three in number
2. Not asking any case studies
3. More interested in "Why MBA" and
4. Asking questions majorly based upon our essays

I had prepared for this, thanks to this forum, ankurgupta03 and bandan, who helped me with a mock interview and gave me a holistic list of questions (9 pages in total). I cannot thank you guys enough for the solid preparation!

Coming back to the interview, as the time was coming closer, I grew more nervous. By this time, all the folks whom I had met finished their interviews and I was now passing on the information to the new folks in the room. Then the guy who was being interviewed by panel no. 3 came out and told me it was a 'walk in the park'. I was next. Another visit to the restroom(3 in total AFAIR!) and I was called by one of the panelists. There were three of them. Lets call them A,B and C. Here's what happened inside:-

A: Why business from tech?
Ans : Answered the question in detail (This seemed like a 'Why MBA' question in disguise)
B : Why ISB
And : gave 5-6 points on ISB. I also told them that ISB was the only school that I was applying to this year. this brought about a smile on their faces.
B : That was a very well researched answer (Phew! I grew a bit confident after this)
C : What is it that you do exactly?
Ans : Explained the whole business
C : Can you give me an example of how one of your customers uses your product
Ans : Explained with a specific example
C : Can you tell me about this specific activity (I had mentioned in the essay about it)
Ans : Answered in detail about the event(This event was very close to my heart so I was really chirpy when answering this question)
C : Can you give me 3 good and 1 bad experience from that event?
Ans : Quickly answered
A : Do you have any questions for us?
Me : Asked couple of questions

The interview lasted for approximately 30 minutes. Overall, even I felt the same as the guy before me had felt : The interview was a 'walk in the park'. The panelists were extremely polite and friendly. It never felt like an interview to be honest. There was no cross questioning and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They had smiles on their faces all the time.

I am not sure what to make out of it since most people would leave with similar experiences that day. I guess it all boils down to 'who has a better story to tell'.

Key Takeaways:-
1. Prepare very well on why you want to do an MBA. Ideally, link it to your short and long term goals. If the picture is unclear, then keep thinking about it for a few days, discuss it with peers and the answer will come in front of you. Also remember to take feedback from whomever you can
2. Research Research Research and add your own flavor to your research
3. Dig in deep. Build your answer around specific stories that you think will affect your chances of getting into ISB.

That's it from my side guys. Irrespective of what the outcome is, it was a awesome journey to take. All you guys on this forum are awesome and doing a great job. Kudos to you guys!

Cheers,
Nitesh
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 00:22
Thanks a lot for mentioning me :) I am glad that I was able to help you out.
All the best!

With just 10 days left, I wish everyone the best!
And hope everyone comes out in flying colors on the 14th :)

Just 10 days left. R1, I started a countdown.
I guess time to start one :)

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 00:30
Updated the post for the debriefs with the new ones posted on the thread.

Here is the link:
calling-all-isb-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-170219-780.html#p1470847

Prepare well and all the best to those who are yet to appear for the interview
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 00:34
Sorry folks, I am a bit late in typing my interview debrief. Nonetheless, here it goes. Interview was in Mumbai on 24th January 2015.Panel consisted of a senior lady professor and a gentleman of ISB alumni. One word essay was on "artificial".

1. Questions on one of my hobbies (8-10 minutes): told (this went for decent 8 to 10 minutes with a lot of questions back and forth)
2. Why MBA? told
3. Why now? told (I have 9.5 years of work experience. So related this experience with my MBA plan from ISB)
4. Can't you take an alternate route instead of MBA? told
in questions 2,3, & 4 both the panel members were asking questions and wanted to know about my MBA plans
5. What if ISB is not able to employ you then do you have any plan B? told
6. What are your day to day activities in office? told
7. What is unique about your profile that is different from other applicants? told (but I think I could have done far better in this answer)
8. Did you ever face any crisis situation at work? told (here also I think I could have done better)
9. Do you have any questions for us? politely replied in negative...no questions.

Hand Shake and interview got over. It went for 25-30 minutes.

Overall the panel was very polite and very comforting. No clue what the panel thought about my candidature. So waiting for the results :)
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 00:40
Cmon people ... You not excited or what?

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 00:52
ankurgupta03 wrote:

excitement is not even the last thing I'm feeling right now.. I don't think I'll be able to even check the result myself :? :?
btw it's 14th or 15th?
Retired Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 01:09
seemabhandari wrote:

excitement is not even the last thing I'm feeling right now.. I don't think I'll be able to even check the result myself :? :?
btw it's 14th or 15th?

hahaha :D
Understandable it is :)
The admits go out on the 14th, dings on the 15th.
Waitlists I am not sure, I have not seen even a single person who is waitlisted.

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 02:17
ankurgupta03 wrote:
seemabhandari wrote:

btw it's 14th or 15th?

hahaha :D
Understandable it is :)
The admits go out on the 14th, dings on the 15th.
Waitlists I am not sure, I have not seen even a single person who is waitlisted.

funny date they've chosen..
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.46
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 02:52
14th is sat... Will they send out results on sat? or will it make it on 13th or 16th?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: ISB '16 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q35 V48
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 04:44
ankurgupta03 wrote:

You beat me to it today :)
My turn tmrw!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 07:18
Are all the interview calls for Hyderabad over ?
Have any of you, whose interview location is Hyderabad, got a call ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2015, 07:18

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  51    Next  [ 1004 posts ] 

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: LeoN88, warriorguy