GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q33 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.9
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 06:52
Received the interview waiver yesterday as well. I'm located in a rural part of the US, and I legitimately believe that there just aren't any available Kellogg alums here to conduct an interview. At the very least, I'm happy that my application can finally move to the next stage in the process.

Fingers crossed that I get an invite to interview via Skype sometime soon :) Good luck to all of those with upcoming interviews!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 08:11
Any information on MMM applicants ?

C'est la vie

Manager
Manager
MBA Double-Degrees On The Upswing (via Poets and Quants)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: MBA Double-Degrees On The Upswing (via Poets and Quants)
Poets & Quants recently examined the rising popularity of double-degree programs offered at business schools across the country, including Kellogg’s MMM program.

The MMM Program gives students a rigorous business education and a solid foundation in design innovation. When students graduate from the two-year program, they receive an MBA from Kellogg and an MS in Design Innovation from the Segal Design Institute at Northwestern University’s McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.

In the Poets & Quants story, current MMM student Lexi Smith described her experience in the program:

“It’s really helped me think about solving problems differently,” Smith said. “It’s really helped me unlock different perspectives of how to look at a problem from an end-user perspective.”

Read the full Poets & Quants story here

Filed under: Academics, Admissions, Career, Student Life Tagged: design innovation, design thinking, dual-degree, joint-degree, MMM, Poets & Quants Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager
Apple, surprises and the value of accounting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Apple, surprises and the value of accounting
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

If you’ve been following tech news, you’ve probably heard of the recent bankruptcy of Apple’s Sapphire glass partner – GT Advanced. This was the quote from Apple following the announcement:

“We are focused on preserving jobs in Arizona following GT’s surprising decision and we will continue to work with state and local officials as we consider our next steps.”

The quotes in news headlines the following morning used words like “unexpected,” “surprised,” etc. But if you look at the SEC filing of the company at the end of June, like we did in our accounting class, you will see this news should not have been “surprising.”

The cash flow statement shows that GT lost $165 million over the quarter and had only $330 million left. Now, this can’t be looked at in isolation of course. If they were due a massive repayment by a customer, then we would have to reconsider our conclusions. However, they only had $14 million of accounts receivable due. They were just stuck in a very expensive business without the necessary scale.

Given the rapid rate at which they were losing money, one could predict they wouldn’t last longer than two quarters. And, they didn’t. You could also argue that they could have raised a large amount of money via external financing. But, as you might imagine, the list of financiers who would like to get in at this stage was likely going to be very small.

Hence, it is actually very surprising that Apple and the media were “surprised” at the bankruptcy.

My learning was that a working knowledge of accounting goes a long way. Irrespective of whether or not you foresee yourself in a role that involves finance, the ability to read financial statements can help a lot. For example, most large corporations provide stock and stock options to employees. How many of these employees actually read their own company’s financial statements?

Perhaps reading financial statements of organizations whose fate influences us (e.g. a key customer or supplier or a target employer) may help prevent a bad surprise or two. That could end up saving us a lot of mental and financial pain.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: Accounting, Apple, MBA Learnings Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.33

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:15
mshrek wrote:

I am MMM applicant from India and my Skype interview took place around 16th Oct by admission officer.
Current Student
Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Oct 2014, 10:28
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Apple, surprises and the value of accounting
First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

If you’ve been following tech news, you’ve probably heard of the recent bankruptcy of Apple’s Sapphire glass partner – GT Advanced. This was the quote from Apple following the announcement:

“We are focused on preserving jobs in Arizona following GT’s surprising decision and we will continue to work with state and local officials as we consider our next steps.”

The quotes in news headlines the following morning used words like “unexpected,” “surprised,” etc. But if you look at the SEC filing of the company at the end of June, like we did in our accounting class, you will see this news should not have been “surprising.”

The cash flow statement shows that GT lost $165 million over the quarter and had only $330 million left. Now, this can’t be looked at in isolation of course. If they were due a massive repayment by a customer, then we would have to reconsider our conclusions. However, they only had $14 million of accounts receivable due. They were just stuck in a very expensive business without the necessary scale.

Given the rapid rate at which they were losing money, one could predict they wouldn’t last longer than two quarters. And, they didn’t. You could also argue that they could have raised a large amount of money via external financing. But, as you might imagine, the list of financiers who would like to get in at this stage was likely going to be very small.

Hence, it is actually very surprising that Apple and the media were “surprised” at the bankruptcy.

My learning was that a working knowledge of accounting goes a long way. Irrespective of whether or not you foresee yourself in a role that involves finance, the ability to read financial statements can help a lot. For example, most large corporations provide stock and stock options to employees. How many of these employees actually read their own company’s financial statements?

Perhaps reading financial statements of organizations whose fate influences us (e.g. a key customer or supplier or a target employer) may help prevent a bad surprise or two. That could end up saving us a lot of mental and financial pain.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: Accounting, Apple, MBA Learnings Image
[/quote]

Very interesting point made here :o

C'est la vie

Originally posted by mshrek on 30 Oct 2014, 10:16.
Last edited by mshrek on 30 Oct 2014, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:21
KushVishal wrote:
mshrek wrote:

I am MMM applicant from India and my Skype interview took place around 16th Oct by admission officer.

Hi KushVishal,

First of all congrats for the invite. I am a R2 applicant. I Have been following this program for long, but I didn't feel my app to be strong enough by R1 deadline. So how was your experience . Could you please elaborate your experience for future MMM applicants ? Thanks ! :)

C'est la vie

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:27
mshrek wrote:
KushVishal wrote:
mshrek wrote:

Hi KushVishal,

First of all congrats for the invite. I am a R2 applicant. I Have been following this program for long, but I didn't feel my app to be strong enough by R1 deadline. So how was your experience . Could you please elaborate your experience for future MMM applicants ? Thanks ! :)

I believe this program is for people who have been in product design, development , R&D, Product management and looking for enhancing their
management knowledge base. I have had product development and Product management experience and I tried to pitch that I want to make
carrier in these two fields, I believe it might have resonated with the purpose of MMM, but I also believe that getting into MMM is quite tough,
including me, as there are people with high potentials who have also applied.....so lets see............... :roll: :roll:
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:34
KushVishal wrote:
mshrek wrote:
KushVishal wrote:

Hi KushVishal,

I believe this program is for people who have been in product design, development , R&D, Product management and looking for enhancing their
management knowledge base. I have had product development and Product management experience and I tried to pitch that I want to make
carrier in these two fields, I believe it might have resonated with the purpose of MMM, but I also believe that getting into MMM is quite tough,
including me, as there are people with high potentials who have also applied.....so lets see............... :roll: :roll:

Hello !
Thanks for the quick update. However, I would like to know few more things from you : how did the interview start;what were the questions asked to you;how long did the interview last; how were the vibes post interview, did they match upto your expectations and research. I can pm you ,if you wish to answer personally. Thanks !

C'est la vie

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 16:07
Hi KushVishal,

First of all congrats for the invite. I am a R2 applicant. I Have been following this program for long, but I didn't feel my app to be strong enough by R1 deadline. So how was your experience . Could you please elaborate your experience for future MMM applicants ? Thanks ! :)[/quote][/quote]

Interview questions were typical as with 2Y year MBA interview. You can take reference of "mbathisyear" who has posted questions on this page. Only one-two questions were on why MMM program in particular. I believe the interview went well but then these interviews are so typical that most of the people generally
have good experience after interview. I have 50-50 feeling so neither yes nor no.....only result will tell what happens next........
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Investment Banking (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 21:39
So, I just had my Kellogg interview in local starbucks.. Here is how it went-

It wasn't a question-answer type at all, we had a long chat where she just kept pointing what she wanted to know more about.. All common questions covered from why mba, why now (special stress), why consulting after that, how kellogg will help you (personal/professional), how you will contribute, why second masters degree (applicable in my case), how will my experience help in my short- term goal, some work-ex related questions, leadership experience, initiative experience, a sutuation where I struggled, and many more.. It lasted an hour I also asked her about her present start-up and all. It thought it went well until I realized I left the coffee mug on table and forgot to clean up after me :/

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 06:31
What do people think about Kellogg for a career in product management but not doing the MMM program?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 06:53
Pottsmi1 wrote:
What do people think about Kellogg for a career in product management but not doing the MMM program?

I wouldn't think much on it if I were the adcom, because MMM is a specific course - a double degree. It's quite unique and has it's own appeal. A regular FT MBA aspirant might like to spend more time on the management aspect and spread it out in 2 years span whereas a MMM student might go for a ramp up in acquiring engineering skills and management skills. It's the personal preference and the alignment of your futures goals post mba that , I think, matters more here.

C'est la vie

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 22:10
For those who have completed interviews.. Does it reflect on your online application status?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 01:20
amba2013 wrote:
For those who have completed interviews.. Does it reflect on your online application status?

No it doesn't. However my video essay date changed to the 30th October - Guess they have started reviewing my application.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 03:35
Date: November 10, 2014. Thursday

Admissionado Consulting

Event: Webinar - A Tale of Three Applicants by Jon Frank (Admissionado Founder and HBS Alumnus)

In this webinar, jointly organized by Admissionado and GMATClub, Admissionado Founder Jon Frank (HBS) is gonna show you how a banker, an Indian IT guy, and a chicken farmer managed to get into a top Business School. Find out how to play up your strengths, neutralize your weaknesses, and defeat the admissions dragon – whether your profile is totally typical or out-of-the-blue. To ensure the best possible event, space is limited to 100 participants, so sign up now! These seats are going to go quickly!

Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist ... KG6Zqk-PLu

Timing of the Session: 8.00 AM Pacific Time on 10th November 2014.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 10:37
just interviewed - on campus with an adcom. Nothing out of the ordinary, tons of small talk and not really a long list of questions. She laid out all of the topics she wanted to cover and we did so through conversation rather than her asking pointed questions down a list. She was a pro and made it comfortable, didn't give much away on how it went but i didn't have major errors.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 12:05
This query if for kellogg MMM program. What is the deadline for R2 ?? I didn't find any useful info related to this except that R1 deadline was october 16
https://kelloggmbastudents.wordpress.co ... m-program/ . Please help ! :shock:

C'est la vie

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 12:49
mshrek wrote:
This query if for kellogg MMM program. What is the deadline for R2 ?? I didn't find any useful info related to this except that R1 deadline was october 16
https://kelloggmbastudents.wordpress.co ... m-program/ . Please help ! :shock:

Just to be clear the R1 deadline for MMM was September 24 and similar to the 2Y program's deadline; I am pretty sure this is the case with the R2 deadline as well. What you are looking at is a post from 2013.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2014, 16:31
ZoSoKM wrote:
amba2013 wrote:

No it doesn't. However my video essay date changed to the 30th October - Guess they have started reviewing my application.

Mine changed to October 31st! The first time it has changed since I submitted. Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2014, 16:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  20   21   22   23   24  ...  105    Next  [ 2093 posts ] 

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Gnpth, DigitsnLetters, hanamana

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap