It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Sending GMAT scores to Kellogg | Timeline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 14:19
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if we are required to submit the additional score report for sending our GMAT scores to Kellogg? Also, if we do have to submit, how long does it take ETS to report those? and is it ok if the scores reach them after the deadline?

Thanks in advance!

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 23

Re: Sending GMAT scores to Kellogg | Timeline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 21:21
saagarvarma18 wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me if we are required to submit the additional score report for sending our GMAT scores to Kellogg? Also, if we do have to submit, how long does it take ETS to report those? and is it ok if the scores reach them after the deadline?

Thanks in advance!

You need to submit the official scores along with your application.
The time required to send the scores have been reduces to around 6 - 7days.
You need to submit the score before the deadline. It would be better if you asked these questions directly to the Kellogg ADCOM.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 514 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Should I write an optional essay to explain my decline in GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 04:25
I wanted to get some advice on whether to fill out the Kellogg optional essay to explain an undesirable trend in my GPA.

To give more details – I ended up with a good GPA overall at a top engineering school (3.7). However, the splits show a bad trend: Freshman – 3.95, Sophomore, - 3.89, Junior – 3.60, and Senior – 3.41. Included are one B- and two C+s (everything else was B+ or better). The reason for the drop represents a shift in focus from spending 75%+ of my time on school, to focusing on my extracurriculars (President of 2 reputable clubs) and personal growth. I realized that these factors would help me get my target job, not having a 4.0 vs. a 3.7. This was a bit short-sighted when it comes to grad school, and I am worried that it will make me look lazy.

I should also note that I have other credentials which show my ability to handle the MBA course load (high GMAT, work at top consulting firm).

So, I would love to get your advice on how to proceed. When thinking about explaining this issue explicitly in the optional essay, I think the pros and cons are the following:
Pros: Acknowledges that the grades aren’t up to my standards, gives SOME explanation for the drop (business schools may respect my reasons since they all have grade non-disclosure for similar reasons)
Cons: Is not really an “extenuating circumstance” (e.g. family illness), may shine light on my grades when they wouldn’t have cared otherwise

Am I thinking about this the right way? How would you proceed?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 45

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Should I write an optional essay to explain my decline in GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 06:20
gradeDrop wrote:
I wanted to get some advice on whether to fill out the Kellogg optional essay to explain an undesirable trend in my GPA.

To give more details – I ended up with a good GPA overall at a top engineering school (3.7). However, the splits show a bad trend: Freshman – 3.95, Sophomore, - 3.89, Junior – 3.60, and Senior – 3.41. Included are one B- and two C+s (everything else was B+ or better). The reason for the drop represents a shift in focus from spending 75%+ of my time on school, to focusing on my extracurriculars (President of 2 reputable clubs) and personal growth. I realized that these factors would help me get my target job, not having a 4.0 vs. a 3.7. This was a bit short-sighted when it comes to grad school, and I am worried that it will make me look lazy.

I should also note that I have other credentials which show my ability to handle the MBA course load (high GMAT, work at top consulting firm).

So, I would love to get your advice on how to proceed. When thinking about explaining this issue explicitly in the optional essay, I think the pros and cons are the following:
Pros: Acknowledges that the grades aren’t up to my standards, gives SOME explanation for the drop (business schools may respect my reasons since they all have grade non-disclosure for similar reasons)
Cons: Is not really an “extenuating circumstance” (e.g. family illness), may shine light on my grades when they wouldn’t have cared otherwise

Am I thinking about this the right way? How would you proceed?

I think you are overreacting. Those grades arent low enough to warrant an explanation. I think it would come across as insecure and unaware if you were to provide an explanation.

B-'s do not warrant explanations. Cs and D's do.

I have a 3.34 and was accepted (engineering though).

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Kellogg Insight: Best of 2015 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Kellogg Insight: Best of 2015
Kellogg faculty produced a wide variety of exciting research and insights this year. Here’s a look back at the top Kellogg Insight stories from 2015.

ImageA leader’s guide to data analytics
A working knowledge of data science can help you lead with confidence.

Based on insights from Florian Zettelmeyer

ImageWhy bad bosses sabotage their teams
Bosses who crave power but fear they might lose it can undermine their teams’ productivity.

Based on the research of Jon Maner and Charleen R. Case

ImageFake it until you make it? Not so fast.
How we compensate when we can’t be our authentic selves.

Based on the research of Francesca Gino, Maryam Kouchaki and Adam D. Galinsky

ImageHow to keep employees motivated
Other incentives can keep employees happy in flat organizations.

Based on the research of Rongzhu Ke, Jin Li and Michael Powell.

ImageA tilted playing field
A new piece of research finds bias in elite professional services hiring.

Based on the research of Lauren Rivera

ImageI (don’t) feel your pain
Having been there does not always increase empathy.

Based on the research of Rachel Ruttan, Mary Hunter-McDonnell and Loran Nordgren

ImageWhat went wrong at AIG?
Unpacking the insurance giant’s collapse.

Based on the research of Robert McDonald and Anna Paulson

ImageA DIY guide to career growth
Eight ways to develop your potential—instead of waiting for your manager to take the lead.

Based on the insights of Carter Cast

ImageWhy leaders should think like economists
Based on the insights of Michael Mazzeo

ImageThe downside of downplaying pension costs
Current accounting standards hamper accurate reporting of states’ pension obligations and exacerbate fiscal problems.

Based on the research of James Naughton, Reining Petacchi and Joseph Weber

——– TOP PODCASTS ——–
ImageThe power of persuasive storytelling
Stories hook your business audience and get them to take action.

Based on the research and insights of Michelle L. Buck, Esther Choy and Steven Franconeri

ImageHow to rid your company of toxic employees
Tips for how to avoid hiring them, manage their improvement, or decide when to let them go.

Based on the research and insights of Dylan Minor and Brenda Ellington Booth

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: Best of 2015, data analytics, faculty podcast, Growth, Insight, leaders, leadership, podcast, storytelling, teams Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I write an optional essay to explain my decline in GPA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 17:54
Swan797 wrote:
I think you are overreacting. Those grades arent low enough to warrant an explanation. I think it would come across as insecure and unaware if you were to provide an explanation.

B-'s do not warrant explanations. Cs and D's do.

I have a 3.34 and was accepted (engineering though).

Thanks for the reply! I got similar feedback other locations...like you said I think I was overreacting a bit.

Congrats on the acceptances! Maybe will see you in Evanston next year.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 125

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 04:57
Hi,
how much different are you keeping the 'why kellogg' video essay response to the 'why kellogg' parts of the growth+career essay? Do folks typically mention 'the enthusiasm i saw in XYZ alumni' in the video essay?
A general question, not kellogg-specific. Do you usually write proper nouns in quotes in the essays? e.g. courses, clubs, or practicums. Adding so many double/single quotes in the essay makes it look slightly more cramped to me. and anyways we'll capitalize to show proper nouns. on the other hand, putting quotes makes it really obvious. What do you follow?
Thanks!
Am applying in Round-2.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 45

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
brio wrote:
Hi,
how much different are you keeping the 'why kellogg' video essay response to the 'why kellogg' parts of the growth+career essay? Do folks typically mention 'the enthusiasm i saw in XYZ alumni' in the video essay?
A general question, not kellogg-specific. Do you usually write proper nouns in quotes in the essays? e.g. courses, clubs, or practicums. Adding so many double/single quotes in the essay makes it look slightly more cramped to me. and anyways we'll capitalize to show proper nouns. on the other hand, putting quotes makes it really obvious. What do you follow?
Thanks!
Am applying in Round-2.

The video essay is only 1 minute so you don't have much time to talk. I would trust your instincts here, and be genuine.

2. I stopped putting single and double quotes around things in middle school. I strongly suggest having someone with excellent english proofread your essay for grammar. (An English/law major, teacher, ect).

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 45

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 15:20
Has anyone recently tried to add recommenders for rounnd 2 at Kellogg?
I added my recommenders yesterday. But They haven't received any emails from Kellogg yet with info on filling up their form. The school would now be closed for Winter break. Not sure on how to proceed.

Manager
Manager

Round 2 application deadline is one week away [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 09:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Round 2 application deadline is one week away

This is a friendly reminder that our deadline for Round 2 applications is quickly approaching. To be considered for Round 2, please submit all application materials by 5 p.m. (CT) on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2016.

If you submit your application for Round 2, you will receive your admissions decision on March 23.

Before you submit your application, you may want to take a look at these three different series of tips from Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s Full-Time programs.

If you have any questions about Kellogg’s deadlines or the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us at mbaadmissions@kellogg.northwestern.edu or .

Learn more about Kellogg’s Full-Time program.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, admissions tips, application, application deadline Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hello!

Just started a blog on my experience. I received a lot of help throughout my process so would love to pay it forward. Feel free to ask any questions on the blog.

https://atych16.wordpress.com/

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1682 [0], given: 792

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 07:52
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
saagarvarma18 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

You need to submit the official scores along with your application.
The time required to send the scores have been reduces to around 6 - 7days.
You need to submit the score before the deadline. It would be better if you asked these questions directly to the Kellogg ADCOM.

Your last sentence is not completely correct. Schools now want the applicants to 'self-report' their GMAT/GRE scores. Original score reports must be sent after a person is admitted. Most students select some schools when they are giving their GMAT, so this requirement of sending score reports to the schools is already taken care of. But for some applicants who have not selected certain schools, can do so after they are admitted.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.94
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all

I am a R2 applicant from India. I am about to submit my application but was wondering whether scheduling an on-campus interview could improve one's chances of an admit. Can anyone share some insight on this?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 23:08
saagarvarma18 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

I went through my target schools' FAQs, including Kellogg. Kellogg doesn't mention anywhere that they don't need official scores for evaluation.
Whereas, few other schools say they don't need official scores @ deadline or @ evalution. they only need it when you are admitted.
So, I sent my scores to Kellogg.

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 23:12
Hi guys,
Would you suggest I specifically avoid using the same experience for the 'Most significant career accomplishment' (250 characters) and the leadership essay (450 words) ?
I've mentioned the leadership/teamwork around my most significant accomplishment in my essay, so I was wondering if I should avoid the same in the 250C short answer. But somehow the other accomplishment (probably somewhat technical) makes me feel I haven't done justice to that prompt.
Thanks,
Submitting to R2.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
Schools: Darden '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 04:03
I accidentally did not waive my right to see the recommendations...will that be a problem???
damn...i feel so stupid

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 09:21
brio wrote:
saagarvarma18 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

I went through my target schools' FAQs, including Kellogg. Kellogg doesn't mention anywhere that they don't need official scores for evaluation.
Whereas, few other schools say they don't need official scores @ deadline or @ evalution. they only need it when you are admitted.
So, I sent my scores to Kellogg.

It's unclear (to me at least). While Kellogg seems to indicate that they need official scores (and they're the only one of my schools that uploaded the official score report to the app), they also allow you to self-report in the application.

If anyone has an official answer on this that would be helpful!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 10:10
johndoe2016 wrote:
I accidentally did not waive my right to see the recommendations...will that be a problem???
damn...i feel so stupid

Kellogg specifically mentions that waiving does not come into the decision making picture. Many other schools do mention that waiving this right shows confidence in your recommenders. I did not waive the right for Kellogg .

For your peace of mind, you can again go to your application portal (if you haven't submitted your appicatiom and your recommenders haven't submitted their recommendation to "exclude" the recommenders and then you can try to add them again as your recommenders but this time remember to waive your right.

Hope this helps.

Thursday with Ron updated list as of July 1st, 2015: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolidated-thursday-with-ron-list-for-all-the-sections-201006.html#p1544515
Rules for Posting in Quant Forums: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Writing Mathematical Formulae in your posts: http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html#p1096628
GMATCLUB Math Book: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Everything Related to Inequalities: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-made-easy-206653.html#p1582891
Inequalities tips: http://gmatclub.com/forum/inequalities-tips-and-hints-175001.html
Debrief, 650 to 750: http://gmatclub.com/forum/650-to-750-a-10-month-journey-to-the-score-203190.html

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 10:12
ss0411 wrote:
Hi all

I am a R2 applicant from India. I am about to submit my application but was wondering whether scheduling an on-campus interview could improve one's chances of an admit. Can anyone share some insight on this?

Thanks.

Location of interviews doesn't have a bearing on the interview feedback. All interviews (skype, on campus or off campus) are treated equally. I did not visit campus and I had an off campus interview for Kellogg and still I got in R1.

Hope this helps.

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
Schools: Darden '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 11:16
Engr2012 wrote:
johndoe2016 wrote:
damn...i feel so stupid

Kellogg specifically mentions that waiving does not come into the decision making picture. Many other schools do mention that waiving this right shows confidence in your recommenders. I did not waive the right for Kellogg .

For your peace of mind, you can again go to your application portal (if you haven't submitted your appicatiom and your recommenders haven't submitted their recommendation to "exclude" the recommenders and then you can try to add them again as your recommenders but this time remember to waive your right.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. One question - If I exclude the recomender and only to re-add him/her, will the adcom be able to know this? This may raise question on my decisiveness. If the adcom can see this, I would not bother much about "Not waiving" - seems like its not a big deal.

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2016, 11:16

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  58    Next  [ 1147 posts ]