Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
dw19000 wrote:
iadoreyooh wrote:
West coast as well and just got the call around noon... SO excited! Got a full ride!!

When you say a "full ride," is that tuition only or does that include tuition, fees, health insurance, living expense stipend, etc.? Just curious what types of scholarships Kellogg offers.

Congrats everyone! Was also curious about the scholarships received today. Someone mentioned $100k as well which is amazing. Is that typical at Kellogg and elsewhere?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mbacandidate13579 wrote:
dw19000 wrote:
iadoreyooh wrote:
West coast as well and just got the call around noon... SO excited! Got a full ride!!

When you say a "full ride," is that tuition only or does that include tuition, fees, health insurance, living expense stipend, etc.? Just curious what types of scholarships Kellogg offers.

Congrats everyone! Was also curious about the scholarships received today. Someone mentioned $100k as well which is amazing. Is that typical at Kellogg and elsewhere?

It's the F.C. Austin Scholarship. I only looked all this up after the call today but you can see all the scholarships they award here under "Merit-Based":
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... ships.aspx

So I think it's only tuition cuz it's $130k.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CBTX2016 wrote:
Admitted! Is there somewhere on the admitted students website that I should be seeing information about scholarships? The ad com I spoke with on the phone mentioned the scholarship but I'd love to see it in writing :)

I had a separate letter about the scholarship on my online application, so you should be able to get more info from that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Dinged after waiver, no interview. Feeling disappointed as I think I've a competitive profile. Anyway, the Kellogg game is over for me.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Got called on phone and Dean herself told me that ' I'm beyond incoming class, would I like to become a prof, instead'!
Kidding. Got dinged! Looking forward to another round of combat!
Congrats to all admitted. I envy you. :evil: :evil: :evil: :) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
waitlisted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
Send PM
Hello guys,

I have been following this thread for a while, although I haven't participated in the discussions. I am currently working on my R2 Kellogg application and would be grateful if you could help me out with a doubt - Do our goals need to be mentioned in the growth essay? I know there is no right or wrong here, but since there are separate goals essays anyway, I was wondering if talking about goals in the growth essay would be redundant. Thoughts?

Thanks
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Going behind-the-scenes with Ecuador’s national airline

International Business Strategy Lab, taught by Prof. Susan Perkins, provides a real-life consulting experience for students to work with international clients. In 2014, the class worked with the Ecuador Trade Commission on three different projects. One team’s strategy led to the creation of 10,000 new jobs in Ecuador. In 2015, students in the class once again worked with clients in Ecuador. This post highlights one of their projects.

By Tommy Kantapasara

For International Business Strategy Lab class, I was part of the TAME airline team. TAME (pronounced tah-may) is Ecuador’s national airline.

Our team of four consisted of three second-year students and one first-year student who came from diverse backgrounds ranging from engineering to consulting and banking. We all wanted to work on the TAME airline project because of our personal fascination with the airline industry and our desire to know how an airline operates.

Our project was to evaluate and consider a launch of a new route for TAME from Quito, Ecuador (UIO) to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, and our main client was ProEcuador, the Ecuador government agency whose objective is to facilitate and grow trading activities between the United States and Ecuador.

The first eight weeks of the course were spent laying the foundation of the client’s problem and gathering insights from different airline industry experts. We examined everything from the potential for air cargo, passenger demand between UIO and ORD, airport infrastructure at each airport, government regulations, aircraft capacity configuration, the approval process for new routes, and most importantly, whether the route made commercial sense.

Additionally, it was important for us to understand the context from several perspectives: the people (from cargo entrepreneurs to airline experts), the organization (businesses), and the government. With all these stakeholders, we applied “MORS” concepts during the whole case to address all the stakeholders’ needs (The importance of MORS and the Management and Organizations Dept. will become clear when you join Kellogg).

Apart from the analysis we did, the most fascinating experiences were the “experiential learning” trips we went on. Before our trip to Quito, we visited O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago. The clients wanted us to have a frame of reference for our visit to their country, and therefore arranged for us to visit the facilities at O’Hare, one of the world’s largest airports by passenger and cargo traffic. We spent the morning at O’Hare on the live runway and saw the cargo operations where Boeing 747s from Taiwan were landing and pulling up to the cargo center. The complexity in operating an airport as large as O’Hare kept us in awe of the airline businesses.

The highlight of the class was certainly our trip to Quito, the highest capital city above sea level in the world (2.8km or 9,200 ft). Our five-day visit included a visit to a rose farm (Ecuador’s largest air cargo export) and the flower export association, as well as a meeting with the TAME Airlines CEO. We were given a tour of TAME cargo and Quito airport operations; we were also invited into a plane’s pilot cockpit, the control room of the airport operation – all of which felt so surreal. Through the day, instead of feeling we were causing disturbances to people doing their work, we felt so welcomed as everyone was so eager to share their daily experiences.

Additionally, we were invited to meet the Minister of International Trade to present our market assessment of the project. It was incredible how our findings and preliminary recommendation brought on lively discussions. Our meeting with the minister garnered media attention. We were interviewed and found out later it was broadcast nationwide! We then met with representatives from the Ministry of Transportation and Tourism. Understanding what each organization’s interests and objectives were shed light into the complex organization and interaction between private and public enterprises. Seeing it all come together was a powerful way to see how a nation is run, the challenges it faces and how the decision it makes will impact and steer the direction of the country’s growth journey.

Our trip was made more special when our client took us on a tour of Quito. Understanding the history of the capital city put everything we read about the country beforehand into perspective. This experiential learning opportunity opened our eyes to a new culture and a new life. We were so proud to have been part of this project, and our memory of the good people of Ecuador and the beautiful historic city will lead us to return again soon.

Tommy Kantapasara ’15 graduated from Kellogg’s Two-Year MBA program in June. He is originally from Thailand. He joined Citigroup in Investment Banking in New York City.

Learn about other experiential learning opportunities at Kellogg.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: experiential learning, global, international business strategy lab, international strategy lab, strategy, strategy lab
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
West coast, got the call at noon, pretty excited for first admittance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Got admitted! From South East Asia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
viewerlie wrote:
Got admitted! From South East Asia.

Congrats! Can you share your GMAT score and the interview questions posed to you please? Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Designing for introversion | MBA Learnings

Second-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

During my time as a consultant, I had a couple of memorable experiences working with extraverted managers.

My favorite collection of experiences were with a very extraverted client manager who also became a very close friend. We had a running joke – every Friday, we would check in with each other on our plans for the weekend, and he would unfailingly ask about potentially going out and doing something social on Friday night/during the weekend. I would, almost without exception, pass on the idea. We both knew that was going to be the outcome of the discussion. We still did it and laughed about it.

We had reached a point of comfort where I didn’t need to explain my introversion to him. At the end of a week full of meetings, I didn’t really want to go out and be social. I needed time by myself.

Similarly, I always preferred finding myself a quiet corner of the client’s office to do work versus sitting around a meeting room table (as was generally the norm within the team). The introverted managers understood this. The extraverted managers took some time, but for the most part were happy to let me do as I pleased once we’d established rapport.

A lot of modern day office work or work that requires “connection” requires a certain degree of extraversion (the research world, on the other hand, is predominantly introverted). After all, you are working with people. Over time, however, it has led to a huge bias for extraverts and, I think, the early rise of extraverts into senior positions has also led to systems that work best for extraverts.

Fully open plan offices are a great example of this sort of evolution. Fantastic idea for extraverts who don’t mind having people who bump into them. Horrible idea for introverts who find every such interaction draining. Now, there are lots of benefits of this sort of layout – more team bonding, creativity, ideas, etc. It is just that there has to be middle ground. And, it is only over time that offices have learned to create quiet spaces for the introverts to plug in and focus.

In her book, “Quiet – The power of introverts in a world that just can’t stop talking,” Susan Cain described how MBA programs around the world are designed by extraverts, for extraverts. Examples of this are “networking nights,” parties and bar nights, large swathes of time spent on group projects. etc.

So, coming in to graduate school, I was curious about how it would all work out for me. A year in, I’ve learned a few interesting lessons:

1. Susan Cain is right – there are a lot of systems in the professional/connection world that are designed for extraverts.

I have found her take on the professional world and graduate school to be largely true. I think extraversion is thought to be the norm and I’ve regularly found people overwhelmed and uncomfortable at the thought of another networking night or another bar night they “have to” go to.

2. While some of these systems will stay the way they are, many of them can be changed. 

As a simple example, I found both the admit weekend and the orientation week designed for extraverts. It turned out that I had the opportunity to run the orientation week for the next class, and our team made a conscious effort to cater to the introverts, too. I’m not saying we got this right, but it is a step forward. The truth remains that the population is typically split 50-50 between extraverts and introverts. Occasionally, I get the feeling it skews even higher to introverts. So, there are plenty of folks who crave quiet time – it just requires a bit of initiative to design for introversion.

3. Design for introversion.

There are many little things that have helped me design this experience around my introversion. A few examples:

• Career – I focused my outreach to folks I really wanted to build relationships with.

I realized early that “networking” – to check the box – didn’t work for me. So, I began working through close networks to figure out if I could meet people who I’d be interested in working with.
  • Academics – At school, I do my best to take a crack at assignments before showing up for a group meeting.

I realized quickly that I get very little value out of a group meeting if I haven’t done the work myself. I don’t do group discussion well if I haven’t done the work and don’t have a point of view. I’ve found group work to be hugely benefit if most of the group has done the work. In these cases, we – almost always – end up at a better place.
  • Social – No bar nights, more small group meals and catch ups.

This has been a very useful principle since my first month here. Bar nights are low quality social interactions to me. You can barely hear each other and almost never have a real conversation. So those were thrown out almost as soon as I tried one. I’ve found plenty of opportunities to replace them with small group meetings, “learning groups” and 30-minute walking catch ups. I’ve found a lot of enthusiasm for these and they have been great to do. They’ve all taken an initial bit of initiative to set up, but over time, they have taken a life of their own.
  • Social – making friends through teams.

I form close relationships when I work with people. So I’ve sought out extracurricular experiences that have enabled these. My closest relationships from school have come from extracurricular teams I’ve worked in or led. The best benefit of this is that these groups have turned out to be incredibly diverse. And even in environments where you have incredible diversity, I’ve learned that forming cross-cultural relationships can be very hard and take extra effort. But my oh my, they’re completely worth it.
Introverts are stereotyped to be quiet and lacking social skills. I do OK on the social skills front and I’m definitely not quiet. But I do crave quiet and need time by myself to recharge, focus and get things done. While you do become better at managing social energy over time, these propensities still remain. What has helped me greatly is to be aware of these propensities and design for them. And it is always good to know that, no matter which environment you are in, it is likely you will find several introverts who will happily join you for quiet conversation over a loud party.

So, that’s where I’ll end. As I’ve discovered through my consulting experiences and at graduate school, in most cases, you can choose how you want to engage and design experiences that work for you. It just requires you to understand what you want and then figure out ways to make that happen.

As with most good things in life, it is what you make of it.

Read Dean Sally Blount discuss introverts and extroverts on Fortune.com.

Rohan Rajiv is a second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: Consulting, extroverts, introverts, leadership, management, MBA Learnings
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
iamnvm wrote:
Hello guys,

I have been following this thread for a while, although I haven't participated in the discussions. I am currently working on my R2 Kellogg application and would be grateful if you could help me out with a doubt - Do our goals need to be mentioned in the growth essay? I know there is no right or wrong here, but since there are separate goals essays anyway, I was wondering if talking about goals in the growth essay would be redundant. Thoughts?

Thanks

I dont think talking about goals in your growth essay is redundant. Frankly, this is the place where you should talk about how Kellogg will be able to provide you the necessary means to grow, both personally and professionally. IMO, the question is clearly talking about your goals when it says " Pursuing an MBA is a catalyst for personal and professional growth. How have you grown in the past? How do you intend to grow at Kellogg?"

Second part to me is a direct call to your ST/LT goals.

All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
iamnvm wrote:
Hello guys,

Thanks

I think it's essential to mention goals in this essay, but only as one part of the response. I'll give you a possible structure:

1) Start with how you have grown professionally and personally (what led you to the point you are at)
2) What do yo want to do (goals) and why - to help you continue to grow
3) Why and how Kellogg will help you grow (towards your goals) - also throw in a sentence on how you have figured this out.

Hope this helps!

- Generalist
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What it’s like to start a business

This is part of an ongoing series highlighting MMM summer internship experiences.

Name: Bobby Powers

Industry: Entrepreneurship

Company: sharEdFunction: Co-founder & CEO

Starting a business is like playing a game where no one told you the rules. It can be a scary, intimidating and frustrating experience, but there’s no better time to do it than while at Kellogg.

My team (including three other MMM students) and I came up with the idea for sharEd as a part of the Hult Prize Competition. We were selected as a Hult Online Finalist and raised $13k to get the venture off the ground, so I spent the summer trying to do just that.

I led a team of four in an accelerator program at The Garage at Northwestern to build an minimum viable product that we could use to test out our idea. We started the summer using the design thinking approach, immersing ourselves in daily life of preschool teachers to understand how they were using current curriculum solutions. We even traveled to India to better understand our specific market and observe our customers in action.

Through in-depth interviews and observation we were able to find pain points and ultimately finish designing Version 1.0 of our product. We also worked on building a brand, building credibility and building partnerships that we could use to help deliver our service.

Through the process I was able to learn so much about the process of building a business: recruiting talent, incorporating the business and legal issues, pitching a business, marketing myself and the company, generating sales and delivering on operations.

No other internship could have given me the chance to go from brainstorming on the white board walls of a local incubator to riding through the slums of informal settlements in India.

Read an earlier post about how sharEd was initially launched.

Learn more about the MMM program.

Filed under: Academics, Career, Student Life Tagged: Design, design innovation, design thinking, entrepreneurship, internship, internships, MMM, MMM internship, social impact, summer internship, The Garage
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats to all GMAT Club members admitted to Kellogg!!! :thumbup: Posting here Round1 admission summary.

Full Time MBA

MMM

1 Year MBA

Admitted and Waitlisted Folks: There are separate threads for you for getting in touch with each other and discussing next strategy.

Calling all Admitted Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!
Calling all Waitlisted Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  58   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts