Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Stern Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
varunchand wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
varunchand wrote:
In the signature section of the application, I was forced to opt to tick an option that stated that interviews would ONLY be conducted in NY.
Is there no option for international candidates to interview online through Skype or opt for a telephonic interview? Why/Why not??!
Is this Stern M.O?

Obtaining a visit visa to USA, procuring a ticket and taking time off from work JUST to attend an interview sounds like a very big ask. Any other int'l applicant facing this? :|

You are partially correct. As per https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... on-process for faster processing of your application, try to come to NYC for an in person interview (if you do get invited). But if you are not able to come to NYC , then the off campus interviews will be held in March in 3 locations as mentioned in the link above.

As per their guidelines, Skype or alumni interviews are highly discouraged (again mentioned in the link above).

Hope this helps.

It's not ideal, but I guess we'll have to make it work somehow....

I agree that it is not ideal but as a part of showing your "fit" with the school, I believe the school also wants to see commitment from the applicant that you will actually fly down to NYC for the interview.

I do know a friend of mine who got in after opting for an off campus interview in R3. So all is not lost and you should choose the option that suits you the most.

All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
For internationals, what is the advantage of applying in R1 over applying in R2? Asking this as they interview internationals in March.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
mbathisyear wrote:
For internationals, what is the advantage of applying in R1 over applying in R2? Asking this as they interview internationals in March.

Disclaimer: I'm not an international applicant or affiliated with Stern. This info is coming from the on-campus info session/tour I went to last week.

There genuinely doesn't seem to be a difference in applying for "R1" or "R2." Stern doesn't even consider these rounds; they consider the October, November, etc. dates deadlines and technically work on a rolling basis. The deadlines are there to give you an idea of the latest you could possibly hear if you submit your application by a certain date. Granted, they recommend applying on/before the third deadline simply because, as the application season goes on, their class fills up so you're playing against the numbers at a certain point.

As for the international interviews, they hold interview dates in March in the UK, China, and India. To be considered for one of these off-site interviews, you must submit your application by the second deadline in November. They fully expect most of the applicants to interview on campus. They stressed that interviewing off-site does not impact your application negatively; there are just fewer spaces and times available to do so. I guess the only disadvantage would be that you have to wait until March/April to hear your decision after applying in October/November.

If anyone has better knowledge, please correct me. Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
In for 1! At the last moment too, as always :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Application submitted for R1 as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
just realize that I didn't put my name and date of birth at the top of my essay as requested....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Send PM
chinarocks wrote:
just realize that I didn't put my name and date of birth at the top of my essay as requested....

How about you contact the admissions and ask them if you can upload the essays again with your name and DOB as per their requirement?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
Send PM
I have recently read in a WSJ article that the number of applications at Stern has decreased. Could not react to the situation ! I hope that this makes our situation a little better this time (though it is highly unlikely)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Steinbeck wrote:
I have recently read in a WSJ article that the number of applications at Stern has decreased. Could not react to the situation ! I hope that this makes our situation a little better this time (though it is highly unlikely)

This does not necessarily mean that it will get easy for us. It might just mean the number of people who acept stern's acceptance offer has increased , giving the adcoms the faith that they will be able to get majority of students accepting the offers even with lesser number of students (termed as "yield rate" for the school).
Director
Director
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
Steinbeck wrote:

This does not necessarily mean that it will get easy for us. It might just mean the number of people who acept stern's acceptance offer has increased , giving the adcoms the faith that they will be able to get majority of students accepting the offers even with lesser number of students (termed as "yield rate" for the school).

Engr2012

Please excuse my ignorance. The point that I am trying to make here is that if 1000 students applied at Stern last year, then this year this number dropped to say 800 ! So, the initial application in itself has dropped. Acceptance rate comes next. A student can accept only if he applies.

But, yes I agree this does not necessarily mean that it'll get easy. Less people, more competitive pool, tough decision for Adcom! And yes, the situation can go the other way too.
So, let's accept it the way it is :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
:-D
Steinbeck wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
Steinbeck wrote:

Engr2012

Please excuse my ignorance. The point that I am trying to make here is that if 1000 students applied at Stern last year, then this year this number dropped to say 800 ! So, the initial application in itself has dropped. Acceptance rate comes next. A student can accept only if he applies.

But, yes I agree this does not necessarily mean that it'll get easy. Less people, more competitive pool, tough decision for Adcom! And yes, the situation can go the other way too.
So, let's accept it the way it is :)

Please dont think twice to speak your mind. This is a discussion platform. I replied to further that discussion. :-D

Yes, I agree with your scenario as well. I was just quoting what I had read about lowering of applications at some of the bschools in USA. Lets hope your scenario is what plays out and it becomes a tad easier this time.

All the best with your application.
Director
Director
Send PM
Engr2012

Quote:
Please dont think twice to speak your mind. This is a discussion platform. I replied to further that discussion. :-D

Yes, I agree with your scenario as well. I was just quoting what I had read about lowering of applications at some of the bschools in USA. Lets hope your scenario is what plays out and it becomes a tad easier this time.

All the best with your application.

Ah ! Great to discover that there are some good people who invite healthy discussions on this Forum. Most of the times I have seen that people take it as an attack to their reasoning (mostly on RC Forum Discussion)

Thanks friend and I wish you the best too!

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
chinarocks wrote:

I think this is for part time only? I dont see it on the full time requirement... but you kinda scared me now...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MandyHWCB wrote:
chinarocks wrote:

I think this is for part time only? I dont see it on the full time requirement... but you kinda scared me now...

I saw this on the first page of this thread. I do not remember that I saw this when I prepared my essay either.. maybe this requirement is for other programs as you said..

"Our Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes.

Please note the following details when completing your essays.
• All written essays must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.

• Word limits apply to the total question. For example, your response to Essay 1 should answer all parts of the question with a total maximum of 750 words.

• Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1988, Essay 1, Page 1).

• Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
chinarocks wrote:

How about you contact the admissions and ask them if you can upload the essays again with your name and DOB as per their requirement?

On Stern's website, I did not see anything about "put your name and date of birth at the top of your essay". How do you know they request such a thing? Because on the application page it was not expressed too.

And does anybody know, when should we expect to get interview decisions?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
resitmelik wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
chinarocks wrote:

On Stern's website, I did not see anything about "put your name and date of birth at the top of your essay". How do you know they request such a thing? Because on the application page it was not expressed too.

And does anybody know, when should we expect to get interview decisions?

Stern's website https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /deadlines mentions that the "initial notification date" for Oct 15 applications is December 15th. This "initial notification" will comprise of 1 of invitation to interview, waitlist offer or denial of admission.

Thus, based on the above information, you will get to know your initial decision by December 15th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Public Relations (Other)
Send PM
chinarocks wrote:
MandyHWCB wrote:
chinarocks wrote:

I saw this on the first page of this thread. I do not remember that I saw this when I prepared my essay either.. maybe this requirement is for other programs as you said..

"Our Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes.

Please note the following details when completing your essays.
• All written essays must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.

• Word limits apply to the total question. For example, your response to Essay 1 should answer all parts of the question with a total maximum of 750 words.

• Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1988, Essay 1, Page 1).

• Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays."

I agree. i saw this in this thread but looked everywhere on the Stern website and did not see the birthday requirement anywhere. Maybe it was for last year's essay or another program. Let's hope!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  33   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts