GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 13:20
grimts wrote:
It was told to me over the phone. I got a call to tell me about the admit and the scholarship then a subsequent email to explain it in more detail

That's interesting. Obviously that helps explain the early notification anomalies. Thanks for sharing. Hope to have similar good news March 15th!
Current Student
Schools: Owen '18 (A)
Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Feb 2016, 11:21
check

Originally posted by Astral on 05 Feb 2016, 02:37.
Last edited by Astral on 11 Feb 2016, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 08:05
Who else is going to discover weekend? 2 weeks away! Should be fun..and also nervewracking since I have my interview then lol.
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 11:23
Hello Everyone, Posting here summary and transcript of recent live chat with members of Vanderbilt Admission and Career services teams, and a current student.

I would like to know more about the program and why it is unique?

Vanderbilt_Mukesh: There are many things that are unique about Owen. If I had to name a few, the small class structure, the collaborative environment, the rapport you can build with your professors and staff here are some of the best.

Vanderbilt_Bailey: I think the support students receive here is unparalleled. There is not a day that goes by that I don't walk down the hall and see students in their CMC Coaches Office. Same goes for the faculty offices.

Vanderbilt_Brook: From a career management perspective I know we are unique in that we start working with students soon after they are admitted and then commit to coming to Owen. This is an example of the personalized experience our students have.

Mukesh. Can you tell us the reasons behind choosing Vanderbilt over other US programs for MBA? How is your experience in Owen so far? And finally what are your post MBA goals and how Owen MBA is helping you prepare to achieve your goals?

Vanderbilt_Mukesh: I applied for business schools with good finance curriculum and was admitted to multiple schools in the US. I chose Owen for two reasons - the conversations I had with the second years and of course, Nashville. Everybody I spoke to at Owen came out of their way to answer my questions and help me take a decision.
I am having the time of my life at Owen now, enhancing my financial and analytical skill set and participating in multiple clubs and initiatives. My post MBA goal is to get into corporate finance, and the finance classes I took at Owen went a long way in helping me achieve that goal

I would like to get a deeper understanding of the Leadership Development program and the 360 degree assessment as part of it.

Vanderbilt_Bailey: I'm happy to discuss the Leadership Development Program. Before students start school, they take the Hogan Assessment. This assessment tells you what you are good at, what challenges you face, etc. At that point, you meet with a LDP coach to pick the LDP track that works best for you.
We have 3 different LDP tracks: A personal approach track here you have a 360 assessment and a personal executive coach; A shared approach track where you have an executive coach with 3 other MBA students (this track allows you to have accountability) and a Flex track which is a shortened version for individuals who have already had extensive leadership coach

Vanderbilt_Mukesh: LDP is a unique program at Owen wherein you will be assigned to a coach after the team discusses your Hogan test results with you. You can choose between individual coaching and group coaching. The 4 individual coaching sessions I had were wonderful. It's like a white board where you can discuss anything and everything with your coach.

Welcome on GMAT Club, Brook!! I have the employment stats of Owen which tell us close to 93% students were successful in getting employed within 3 months. Can you tell us in which industries and job functions majority of the students went? What support and guidance these students received from Career Management Dept?

Vanderbilt_Brook: Thank you! In terms of internships, the Finance job function is our single largest (35%) followed by Consulting (17%) and Marketing (17%). For full-time Consulting is the largest (26%) followed by Finance (24%) and Marketing (15%).
In terms of support we provide for our students, in addition to providing webinars and coaching opportunities in the summer before classes start, we also devote at least a day and half of orientation to career management. In our first quarter our 1st year students are paired with a 2nd year peer coach and all of the 1st year students have a resume review.
We also hold career treks: One to Atlanta for consulting, One to NYC for financial services, and a marketing trek this year went to Dallas. We also had a Tech Trek to SanFran and Seattle.

Vanderbilt_Mukesh: CMC is one of the best things about Owen, hands down. We have a number of dedicated CMC coaches who are available from the day you walk in to the school till your graduation to guide you in the process. Apart from the regular help with recruiting, they help you connect with the Owen/Vanderbilt alumni which is very helpful in your job search.

I am interested in learning more about placements in finance sector. Can you tell us how many of the Finance placements went in IB, PE, and VC? Can you name a few companies that offered jobs in Finance sector?

Vanderbilt_Brook: Poets & Quants recently did a great article about how top MBA programs fair on this: http://poetsandquants.com/2016/01/13/wh ... -talent/2/. We were excited to see that Owen tended to fall in the top 20 for almost all of the financial services areas they captured. We 8% of our class go to work in IB this past year full-time.
Some top companies hiring for financial services: Citi, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, SunTrust, Wells Fargo. Top for corporate finance: Johnson&Johnson, American Airlines, Eastman Chemcial, McKesson

Hi guys, please can you talk more about Vanderbilt Business World Shapers?

Vanderbilt_Bailey: World Shapers are current students who are selected by a nomination process. The students chosen are typically those who have taken initiative on campus and whom we believe will make a difference in the world. You can read more about it here: http://www.owenworldshapers.com/

As per discussion on Owen forum, currently Round 2 interview invites are going out. Is there any deadline set for interview invitations?

Vanderbilt_Bailey: Interview invitations go out periodically after the application is considered complete and the admissions committee has had a chance to review. I believe our Director is still working on interview invitations. I would say that since the interview deadline for the 2nd round is March 3rd, a broad deadline would be mid-February.

Can you please name some positions offered by technology firms?

Vanderbilt_Brook: Amazon has been our top employer (all functions/industries) for a few years running. They particularly recruit for their Pathways Operations program. HP, Apple, and Dell are a couple other tech firms that regularly take Owen students.

What kind of consulting roles are generally offered to international students? I have heard that generally Federal roles are more common but these are not available to international students. How true is that?

Vanderbilt_Brook: Consulting opportunities (at least strategy consulting) are usually very difficult for our international students to secure. In the past three years I think we have had 1 international student (not from Europe/Canada) land in human capital consulting and 1 land in risk management consulting who didn't have previous US consulting experience. We have a couple of our students work in government consulting, and I can't think of any international students receiving these in recent years.

Any ideas on what kind of roles are offered by Deloitte to Owen students?

Vanderbilt_Brook: Yes, Deloitte is open to international applicants for these roles. The challenge for many international candidates is that consulting firms are looking for candidates who are immediately ready to be put in front of US clients. And based on their hiring patterns it seems like many times domestic students are more prepared for this.

What will be the single most important admission interview advice you guys will give?

Vanderbilt_Bailey: Be authentic. We want to know you, your story and why you want an MBA so I always encourage people to do a deep dive in thinking about that before your interview.

Vanderbilt_Brook: A note for international students -- from what I've seen a limited number of MBA programs report their employment stats for international candidates. We do, and are really proud that the last couple of years are numbers for international students have been on par with domestic students or very close to it. Here's the link to our employment report: http://issuu.com/vanderbiltowen/docs/ow ... 9/10584070

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Owen Admissions Chat 28th Jan 16.pdf [1.37 MiB]
Downloaded 28 times
To download please login or register as a user

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge
Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 21:56
Great! Thank you so much Narenn. I did intend to email to Brook to ask about the same information that is posted above. No need now.

Also, I've just got the interview invitation. R2 applicant :)
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 04:37
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Also, I've just got the interview invitation. R2 applicant :)

Woo Hoo... All the best for interview!! :thumbup:

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
How I got here: David Farr, CEO of Emerson  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 09:02
FROM Owen Press Releases: How I got here: David Farr, CEO of Emerson
David Farr, CEO of Emerson and Vanderbilt MBA alum, recently spoke to students as part of the Owen School's Distinguished Speaker Series. Below is a sketchnotes of Farr's talk.Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Visual executive summary: Wallet beats calorie information in guiding   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 09:02
FROM Owen Press Releases: Visual executive summary: Wallet beats calorie information in guiding food choices, study finds
Learn about the latest Vanderbilt business research at a glance with visual executive summaries. In this edition, associate professor of marketing Kelly Haws finds that when diners are presented with a good value on an unhealthy meal, they take it.Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 17:23
I'm in!!! Got admit call tonight. A month early! Unfortunately, scholarship info won't be released until the decision date. Stoked!!!!!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 18:29
Adz25 wrote:
I'm in!!! Got admit call tonight. A month early! Unfortunately, scholarship info won't be released until the decision date. Stoked!!!!!

Wow congratulations! I am having the interview tomorrow, so I hope I could catch you soon :). But it is better to get the scholarship package now. The waiting will be so painful :bouncer :bouncer
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2016, 23:40
Congrats to those who got in.. :)
Any Indian got interview invite? It has been over a month and it's been dead silence.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:29
I think interviews for India are over. I had my interview last week and she was traveling back on Sunday.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:37
Astral wrote:
I think interviews for India are over. I had my interview last week and she was traveling back on Sunday.

Did you also attend the closing bell? Which city?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:50
Astral wrote:

Now that's the news I didn't want to hear. Anyways Good luck to you bro :)
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 00:52
Debjeet - Abhishek here :)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 01:00
Astral wrote:
Debjeet - Abhishek here :)

Lol, sorry. Didn't recognise you here by your alias. :P
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 01:10
Hahaha, no issues. Do please let me know if you get to here anything from the school.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 06:42
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Adz25 wrote:

Wow congratulations! I am having the interview tomorrow, so I hope I could catch you soon :). But it is better to get the scholarship package now. The waiting will be so painful :bouncer :bouncer

haha, yeah it will be a long wait to find out if I got any $$ awards. But im happy to get the admit for now! Good luck with your interview today!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Law)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 14:01
Adz25 wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Adz25 wrote:

haha, yeah it will be a long wait to find out if I got any $$ awards. But im happy to get the admit for now! Good luck with your interview today!

Adz25 when did you interview with Owen? I had my interview on Feb. 4. Not heard anything yet.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 14:10
i interviewed about a week after the jan deadline. Don't recall the exact date. What I was told over the phone is that they are trying to release decisions to applicants early if the admissions committee has already reviewed their application and decided to admit. I would not worry about not hearing back yet. Personally, I wasn't expecting anything until March 15th.
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! &nbs [#permalink] 16 Feb 2016, 14:10

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  18    Next  [ 345 posts ] 

Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap