Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Schulich (York) Fall Applicants: September 2016 Intake!! [#permalink]
aakashbaweja wrote:
pqt wrote:
Did you complete the video essay part ?
I submitted on Nov 16. Still the status is just submitted (It is yet to be reviewed). I am yet to complete the video essay too.

Video essay? The schulich application didn't mention any video essay...

As soon as you submit the app, you get a mail with details of how to do the video questions. You can d o that later, but the app is considered complete only after that. It has been around for 2 to 3 years now.
I submitted mine 5 to 6 days back and completed the videos on the weekend, at leisure. Takes about 15 min in all for the video bit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Schulich (York) Fall Applicants: September 2016 Intake!! [#permalink]
shyamnambiar wrote:
aakashbaweja wrote:
pqt wrote:
I submitted on Nov 16. Still the status is just submitted (It is yet to be reviewed). I am yet to complete the video essay too.

As soon as you submit the app, you get a mail with details of how to do the video questions. You can d o that later, but the app is considered complete only after that. It has been around for 2 to 3 years now.
I submitted mine 5 to 6 days back and completed the videos on the weekend, at leisure. Takes about 15 min in all for the video bit.

I did get an email but it only expressed gratitude for submitting the application. No talk of any video essay. May be i will get that mail soon. I hate video essays especially if u have to shoot outdoors. Had a hard time doing that for Sauder.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
aakashbaweja wrote:
pqt wrote:

I guess you'll get a link with the instructions for the video essay. The Schulich site mentions video essays, introduced in Jan of this year (not sure if it has been around for 2-3 years).
See here:
https://mbablog.schulich.yorku.ca/2015/0 ... -close-up/

I am not thrilled I must say. :/
and what do you mean shoot outdoors? was that a requirement? :O
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
aakashbaweja wrote:
pqt wrote:

I guess you'll get a link with the instructions for the video essay. The Schulich site mentions video essays, introduced in Jan of this year (not sure if it has been around for 2-3 years).
See here:

Yes i got the link to the video essay... One of the practice questions asks.."tell about your favourite quote" and i seriously went blank. don't know if some question like this comes up then what to do.

regarding the outdoor shoot for Sauder, no it wasn't a requirement.. I did it that way..but never knew it was so difficult to shoot outdoors with soo much background noise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
aakashbaweja wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:

See here:

Yes i got the link to the video essay... One of the practice questions asks.."tell about your favourite quote" and i seriously went blank. don't know if some question like this comes up then what to do.

regarding the outdoor shoot for Sauder, no it wasn't a requirement.. I did it that way..but never knew it was so difficult to shoot outdoors with soo much background noise

And that's the point I think. They want to ascertain if we are as good as we have say in our written essays. :P Most good universities are moving to video essays as there are a lot of the applicants who get help from consultancies to write their essays. My house is so poorly built acoustically that I practically hear the flushing of toilets from the next house :P So I guess it would not have made any difference for me if I had shot it outdoors haha.. Add to it the constructions happening around my house, I am in a war zone.
And the worse part is, for Sauder atleast we had the option to shoot and upload, so I used a digital camera. For Schulich and Alberta, it is going to have to be the Webcam! :'(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
aakashbaweja wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:

See here:

And that's the point I think. They want to ascertain if we are as good as we have say in our written essays. :P Most good universities are moving to video essays as there are a lot of the applicants who get help from consultancies to write their essays. My house is so poorly built acoustically that I practically hear the flushing of toilets from the next house :P So I guess it would not have made any difference for me if I had shot it outdoors haha.. Add to it the constructions happening around my house, I am in a war zone.
And the worse part is, for Sauder atleast we had the option to shoot and upload, so I used a digital camera. For Schulich and Alberta, it is going to have to be the Webcam! :'(

I am sorry, the video part did start this Jan and not 2-3 years back. Got it mixed with some other school! :)
Schulich can be done by webcam, since they ask 2 random questions from their pre-recorded questions and you get 45 seconds to prepare and 90 to answer. Very much like Rotman's. Take it easy. The 45 seconds is adequate time for thought, unless you start writing down stuff! And like sbdy here said, THIS is a great differentiator, when it comes to separating the 'coached' candidates from those doing their own stuff.
Preparing using 2-3 sample questions (understand there are a max of 5 available) and then getting on with it seems a good way to go :) I quite enjoyed the video questions (don't know why they call it essays though!) :) Good luck !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For those still to send the application, here is a bit of additional guidance from the adcom.https://mbablog.schulich.yorku.ca/2015/1 ... plication/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V32
Send PM
Hi All,
submitted video essays last week.Still no news.Is it bad?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
janani28 wrote:
Hi All,

This is a peak time and they'd be getting a lot of applications. The normal turnaround time is 2 weeks, and at peak times like this it might take a little longer. Nothing to be worried about. All the very best mate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V32
Send PM
Thank you... Desautels declined yesterday after interview...so bit worried..anyway..great score..all the best!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
janani28 wrote:
Hi All,

Unlikely to hear back till end of the month, since they have R1 on 15 Jan. I had met Graham Sue twice and from what he said, they would most likely let the early birds know a little before R1, I guess. Good luck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
janani28 wrote:
Thank you... Desautels declined yesterday after interview...so bit worried..anyway..great score..all the best!!!!

Thank you.. all the very best for Schulich. I'd be meeting them tomorrow, will know a bit more about my chances I hope. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
One more down, phew.. Submitted my application. Got to do the video essays. :/ Grrrr...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
One more down, phew.. Submitted my application. Got to do the video essays. :/ Grrrr...

That is an easy one. Just sit for half an hour quietly and think of all questions anybody can ask you and link them to your goals and what you have said about yourself in every part of the App. Will fit in beautifully!
good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is there a way we can edit a essay in an application already submitted.? I missed one important statement, thought if I could edit it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pqt wrote:
Is there a way we can edit a essay in an application already submitted.? I missed one important statement, thought if I could edit it.

Don't think there is, but you'd get a confirmation if you emailed the adcom. No harm in trying, if you really think the statement is important to be a part of your essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Guys , any of you applying to the IMBA program ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts