It is currently 25 Jul 2017, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 12:43
dcorona19 wrote:
Guys,

Do you think Adcom waits until all interviews are finished to select R2 students? Or do they select them as interviews go?

I'm driving myself crazy here, I had my interview on feb 18th

Hi there - I don't think any of us (as applicants) know what the process is at this stage. But one thing to note is that the adcom does not make final admission decisions, DB does. He reviews interviewed candidates's completed applications and admits R2 folks whose experience and perspectives best complement those of R1 matriculated students. Hang in there, you can always keep eating your favorite food - I'm sure it's not tacos since you were invited to interview. :lol: :lol:

p.s. yes, I'll prepare the financial aid documents per that email they sent - nice way to kill some time.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 15:01
helloitsme16 wrote:
dcorona19 wrote:
Guys,

Do you think Adcom waits until all interviews are finished to select R2 students? Or do they select them as interviews go?

I'm driving myself crazy here, I had my interview on feb 18th

Hi there - I don't think any of us (as applicants) know what the process is at this stage. But one thing to note is that the adcom does not make final admission decisions, DB does. He reviews interviewed candidates's completed applications and admits R2 folks whose experience and perspectives best complement those of R1 matriculated students. Hang in there, you can always keep eating your favorite food - I'm sure it's not tacos since you were invited to interview. :lol: :lol:

p.s. yes, I'll prepare the financial aid documents per that email they sent - nice way to kill some time.

Thanks helloitsme16, didn't know it was DB himself who made the final decision, in that case I think he waits until all interviews are done in order to make final decision, for the fairness of this process.

Though I'm mexican, I did not put tacos as my favorite food :P, I put mexican sushi (hope I'm not offending the Japanese).

And yes, the financial aid process should keep us entertained for a while...in the meantime T-18 days hehe
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.48
WE: Other (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 18:52
Just finished my interview! And now the long wait begins...again....
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q46 V42
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 03:38
Noidea1234 wrote:
Also, shout out for the GSB team for making it clear in the FAQs that re-application to the school is not encouraged :)

Now I'm utterly confused. Some guy in last year's application thread said adcom members were okay with reapplicants.

I'm about to apply in R3 and if I don't get in, I'll try again in R1 with a higher GMAT score and more work achievements.

I really don't want to ruin my chances by applying in R3. Could you post up some more info from the FAQ about reapplicants?

Posted from my mobile device

Stay hungry, stay foolish
http://www.techmbagirl.wordpress.com

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 11:29
TechMBAGirl wrote:
Noidea1234 wrote:
Also, shout out for the GSB team for making it clear in the FAQs that re-application to the school is not encouraged :)

Now I'm utterly confused. Some guy in last year's application thread said adcom members were okay with reapplicants.

I'm about to apply in R3 and if I don't get in, I'll try again in R1 with a higher GMAT score and more work achievements.

I really don't want to ruin my chances by applying in R3. Could you post up some more info from the FAQ about reapplicants?

I don't want to sound like a smartass ,but do you truly believe you have a strong profile for applying in R3? Chances are that you might have a bigger shot at R1 next year...If I don't get admitted by R2 I think I won't apply next year...

Are there any reapplicants in this round?
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 11:36
I, too, would love it it if someone could post the text of the supposed FAQs that Stanford sent along with dings that say they do not encourage reapplicants. I haven't seen that done in previous years and would love to actually confirm that they said that this year. Otherwise it's like most things on the internet -- believe it at your own caution.

As for applying in Round 3 to Stanford... let's just say that I usually don't recommend this tactic unless someone is "famous" in their industry, just got off of a military tour of duty, or has some otherwise very, very unique extenuating circumstance that they can explain. You want to give yourself the best odds possible, and the odds are simply worst in Round 3 for most schools. And the truth is that many schools are not reapplicant-friendly, especially not immediately the year after. (The difference between Round 3 this cycle and Round 1 next cycle is a matter of months... what REALLY could've changed/improved in your candidacy in that period?)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

TechMBAGirl wrote:
Noidea1234 wrote:

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 11:37
dcorona19 wrote:
TechMBAGirl wrote:
Noidea1234 wrote:

I don't want to sound like a smartass ,but do you truly believe you have a strong profile for applying in R3? Chances are that you might have a bigger shot at R1 next year...If I don't get admitted by R2 I think I won't apply next year...

Are there any reapplicants in this round?

Stanford isn't much of a round 3 school but there's no harm in trying...unless there is then I'd love to know

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '18 (I)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 13:01
Was anyone else completely disappointed with their interview experience? I feel my interviewer was very much against me, and also didn't really care about giving any detailed answers to my questions about gsb... :/

also, are we supposed to get an email when they submit their review? my app just says "in review" now
Current Student
Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 15:00
TechMBAGirl wrote:

Stanford isn't much of a round 3 school but there's no harm in trying...unless there is then I'd love to know

Hi there, something for you to consider: Dee frequently talked about how this whole application process was a platform for us to exercise judgement (as potential world leaders and change agents). Do you really have a compelling reason to apply R3? Why Now? “It doesn't hurt to try” is a response that lacks the level of maturity and reflection the GSB seeks IMO. Out of curiosity, I checked your blog – here are your reasons to apply now (R3)

• Wouldn’t have to face my country’s issues for another year e.g. fuel scarcity, extreme inflation caused by low oil prices, little to no electricity, no electricity no running water, the heat, the nosy old man in my building)
• Get my career started as soon as possible and stop wasting away here. My 40 months of experience is enough
• This new job could suck too and the economy could get worse leaving me to regret my decision to wait

My reaction is – these are not really aspirational reasoning for your pursuit of a GSB experience in R3 – frankly speaking the wording and tone came across marginally arrogant. I am personally excited for your new job opportunity since it creates a huge white space for you to carve out tremendously growth and I think you could come back with better positioning as to what you hope to accomplish in the long term and why the GSB is your dream school. As a reapplicant myself, I am grateful of my rejections last year as I have learned so much about who I am as a person both professionally and personally this past year and I think it definitely helped in this year’s process.

All the best!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 15:09
guestmba wrote:
Was anyone else completely disappointed with their interview experience? I feel my interviewer was very much against me, and also didn't really care about giving any detailed answers to my questions about gsb... :/

also, are we supposed to get an email when they submit their review? my app just says "in review" now

Yes, you should receive an email notifying the interview report has been submitted. Don't sweat too much, none of us know how we did. Good luck!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 17:07
helloitsme16 wrote:
TechMBAGirl wrote:

Hi there, something for you to consider: Dee frequently talked about how this whole application process was a platform for us to exercise judgement (as potential world leaders and change agents). Do you really have a compelling reason to apply R3? Why Now? “It doesn't hurt to try” is a response that lacks the level of maturity and reflection the GSB seeks IMO. Out of curiosity, I checked your blog – here are your reasons to apply now (R3)

• Wouldn’t have to face my country’s issues for another year e.g. fuel scarcity, extreme inflation caused by low oil prices, little to no electricity, no electricity no running water, the heat, the nosy old man in my building)
• Get my career started as soon as possible and stop wasting away here. My 40 months of experience is enough
• This new job could suck too and the economy could get worse leaving me to regret my decision to wait

My reaction is – these are not really aspirational reasoning for your pursuit of a GSB experience in R3 – frankly speaking the wording and tone came across marginally arrogant. I am personally excited for your new job opportunity since it creates a huge white space for you to carve out tremendously growth and I think you could come back with better positioning as to what you hope to accomplish in the long term and why the GSB is your dream school. As a reapplicant myself, I am grateful of my rejections last year as I have learned so much about who I am as a person both professionally and personally this past year and I think it definitely helped in this year’s process.

All the best!

Really? You took a snippet of my comical post as "proof" that I shouldn't apply? That's a bit shallow don't you think?
The majority of folks applying to b-school want to get an MBA to make a career jump either by function, industry or location, maybe even all three. However, no one would put in their application that they really want to make wads of cash, even though that is a major selling point of the MBA.

The true desires of the heart, which make an application stand out hardly ever involve money (or running away from a nosy old neighbor). Those honest ambitions that keep us hungry for change will never find their way to any public blog so please don't make assumptions about my aspirations based on what you find there. They are truly personal to me and to Derrick Bolton :)

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 17:30
guestmba wrote:

Don't freak out too much! many people feel terrible after their interview and later on get accepted...so, at this point is like tossing a coin :roll:
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 19:38
TechMBAGirl wrote:
helloitsme16 wrote:
TechMBAGirl wrote:

All the best!

Really? You took a snippet of my comical post as "proof" that I shouldn't apply? That's a bit shallow don't you think?
The majority of folks applying to b-school want to get an MBA to make a career jump either by function, industry or location, maybe even all three. However, no one would put in their application that they really want to make wads of cash, even though that is a major selling point of the MBA.

The true desires of the heart, which make an application stand out hardly ever involve money (or running away from a nosy old neighbor). Those honest ambitions that keep us hungry for change will never find their way to any public blog so please don't make assumptions about my aspirations based on what you find there. They are truly personal to me and to Derrick Bolton :)

I absolutely agree and I apologize for the generalization. I offered my thoughts based on the limited info I had but please understand that my intent was not to discourage you, but to emphasize the upsides of not working through this uphill battle through R3 while focusing on candidacy elevation through your new job opportunity. We are here to support one anther through this exhausting process and obviously i hope you could get into the dream school of your choice. if you want to give R3 a shot, just be mindful that the downside of the reapplication process should you get dinged this time is that you could be confined by what you previously submitted. In this case, what matters most to you and why, your career aspirations. All those should not deviate drastically in your reapplication, unless you have really good rationale and story to link them together. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '18 (I)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 20:59
helloitsme16 wrote:
guestmba wrote:

Yes, you should receive an email notifying the interview report has been submitted. Don't sweat too much, none of us know how we did. Good luck!

thanks! uh, I haven't received any emails and now my app just says "In Review"... :cry: I wonder how long the interviewers have to send in the report.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 04:33
TechMBAGirl wrote:
helloitsme16 wrote:
TechMBAGirl wrote:

All the best!

Having read your blog, I'd ask you why you are not applying to HBS in R3.

I'd say you have a better chance of acceptance than for Stanford. I also think you have misinterpreted the nature/culture of the school. If you spent a half hour in the Harvard i-lab, you'd see how incredibly well it can cater for your tech-focused goals.

Also, I know someone who applied to HBS in R3, got in and founded a venture capital backed tech start-up in her first year (and I mean serious venture capital), all because of the connections at HBS.

Just my tuppence-worth.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 06:20
helloitsme16 wrote:
TechMBAGirl wrote:
helloitsme16 wrote:

All the best!

I absolutely agree and I apologize for the generalization. I offered my thoughts based on the limited info I had but please understand that my intent was not to discourage you, but to emphasize the upsides of not working through this uphill battle through R3 while focusing on candidacy elevation through your new job opportunity. We are here to support one anther through this exhausting process and obviously i hope you could get into the dream school of your choice. if you want to give R3 a shot, just be mindful that the downside of the reapplication process should you get dinged this time is that you could be confined by what you previously submitted. In this case, what matters most to you and why, your career aspirations. All those should not deviate drastically in your reapplication, unless you have really good rationale and story to link them together. Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughtful tip and all the best with your application.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 13:57
aton2006 wrote:

Having read your blog, I'd ask you why you are not applying to HBS in R3.

I'd say you have a better chance of acceptance than for Stanford. I also think you have misinterpreted the nature/culture of the school. If you spent a half hour in the Harvard i-lab, you'd see how incredibly well it can cater for your tech-focused goals.

Also, I know someone who applied to HBS in R3, got in and founded a venture capital backed tech start-up in her first year (and I mean serious venture capital), all because of the connections at HBS.

Just my tuppence-worth.

I've been considering HBS for a while but never really felt the commitment to take the plunge. I love how HBS has a CS course for managers and courses in Product Management, I just wanted to narrow down my choices for R3 to one school but adding one more school might be good idea.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 16:07
Why is this group so quiet??

I'm like talking about Stanford 24/7, all my friends and family already hate me for talking about the same thing all the time!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 12:59
Been rejected from every other school except for Stanford and UT so far...I'm starting to believe that a ding is coming for me next week :cry:
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 07:00
dcorona19 wrote:
Been rejected from every other school except for Stanford and UT so far...I'm starting to believe that a ding is coming for me next week :cry:

It's not over yet, hang in there and let's all hope for the best!
Re: Calling all Stanford Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2016, 07:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43    Next  [ 852 posts ]