It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:00

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3709 [0], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 23:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Re: Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 23:58
Welcome all UCD Smurfit MBA applicants! Use this platform to know each-other, build network, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process.

Good luck to all!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Re: Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 23:58

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 03:40
Hi,

My background :
Work Ex : 3 yr 8 months in Technology Consulting in finance space(Oracle Apps) and 6 months in Energy Consulting
Education : Bachelors in one fo the IITs
Gap : No gaps in Education and Work
GMAT : 680
TOEFL : 110

Interested in Data Science jobs and corporate finance. I want to study and settle down in English Speaking European countries. So UK and Ireland on mind. Do you suggest UCD Smurfit? if yes, MBA or MS in Data Analytics? How are job opportunities to the guys in both the fields?

Thank you,
Yella

Current Student

Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 03:45
Hi,

My background :
Work Ex : 3 yr 8 months in Technology Consulting in finance space(Oracle Apps) and 6 months in Energy Consulting
Education : Bachelors in one fo the IITs
Gap : No gaps in Education and Work
GMAT : 680
TOEFL : 110

Interested in Data Science jobs and corporate finance. I want to study and settle down in English Speaking European countries. So UK and Ireland on mind. Do you suggest UCD Smurfit? if yes, MBA or MS in Data Analytics? How are job opportunities to the guys in both the fields?

Thank you,
Yella

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 23:09
This thread is really quite.
I am applying to Smurfit. Anyone wants to discuss anything ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 08:34
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I am just beginning my GMAT journey. I need to complete the GMAT by the end of February and I am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to prepare.

Slightly off topic I also need the answer for the following GMAT Questions. Am I right with Question 1 D, Question 2 E Question 3 D.. Its for the Sunday business post Solarship

GMAT Question 1: Critical Reasoning: In Oaktown, a company owns a large factory and a superstore, which supplies most of the residents’ needs; the company also employs most of the residents. The president of the company decides it would be good for both the company and the residents if he automated most of the work in the factory; automation would lower production costs and the prices of the goods sold in the store. Which of the following statements below, if true, best highlights a flaw in the president’s plan? *

A. When the factory is automated, it will speed up production, providing the superstore with a larger inventory.
B. When the prices are lowered, residents will be able to afford more items, increasing their quality of life.
C. When the factory is automated, residents who lose their jobs could apply for jobs at the superstore.
D. When the factory is automated, many residents will be laid off and will not have enough money to afford what the superstore sells, even at lower prices.
E. If the factory closes down, the superstore will need to find a new source of goods to sell.

GMAT Question 2: Data Sufficiency:
Please determine whether the data provided by the statements are sufficient to answer the question.
The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover Asia and Europe, but not North America, 6 reporters cover Asia and North America, but not Europe, and 7 reporters cover Europe and North America, but not Asia. How many reporters cover all of the 3 continents (Asia, Europe, and North America)?

1) The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering at least 1 of the following continents: Asia, Europe, and North America.

2) There are more Financial New Daily reporters covering only Asia than there are Financial New Daily reporters covering only North America.

A. If statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not;
B. If statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not;
C. If statement (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient
D. If EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question
E. If statement (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

GMAT Question 3: Problem Solving:
Car A gets 25 percent more miles per gallon of gasoline than car B does. However, car A requires a special type of gasoline that costs 10 percent more than gasoline car B uses. If the two cars are driven equal distances, what percent less than the money spent on gasoline for car B is the money spent on gasoline for car A? *

A. 22.5% B. 17.5% C. 15% D. 12%E. 10%

Thanks for the help

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 21:04
RGOOD wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and I am just beginning my GMAT journey. I need to complete the GMAT by the end of February and I am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to prepare.

Slightly off topic I also need the answer for the following GMAT Questions. Am I right with Question 1 D, Question 2 E Question 3 D.. Its for the Sunday business post Solarship

GMAT Question 1: Critical Reasoning: In Oaktown, a company owns a large factory and a superstore, which supplies most of the residents’ needs; the company also employs most of the residents. The president of the company decides it would be good for both the company and the residents if he automated most of the work in the factory; automation would lower production costs and the prices of the goods sold in the store. Which of the following statements below, if true, best highlights a flaw in the president’s plan? *

A. When the factory is automated, it will speed up production, providing the superstore with a larger inventory.
B. When the prices are lowered, residents will be able to afford more items, increasing their quality of life.
C. When the factory is automated, residents who lose their jobs could apply for jobs at the superstore.
D. When the factory is automated, many residents will be laid off and will not have enough money to afford what the superstore sells, even at lower prices.
E. If the factory closes down, the superstore will need to find a new source of goods to sell.

GMAT Question 2: Data Sufficiency:
Please determine whether the data provided by the statements are sufficient to answer the question.
The Financial News Daily has 25 reporters covering Asia, 20 covering Europe, and 20 covering North America. Four reporters cover Asia and Europe, but not North America, 6 reporters cover Asia and North America, but not Europe, and 7 reporters cover Europe and North America, but not Asia. How many reporters cover all of the 3 continents (Asia, Europe, and North America)?

1) The Financial News Daily has 38 reporters in total covering at least 1 of the following continents: Asia, Europe, and North America.

2) There are more Financial New Daily reporters covering only Asia than there are Financial New Daily reporters covering only North America.

A. If statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not;
B. If statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not;
C. If statement (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient
D. If EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question
E. If statement (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

GMAT Question 3: Problem Solving:
Car A gets 25 percent more miles per gallon of gasoline than car B does. However, car A requires a special type of gasoline that costs 10 percent more than gasoline car B uses. If the two cars are driven equal distances, what percent less than the money spent on gasoline for car B is the money spent on gasoline for car A? *

A. 22.5% B. 17.5% C. 15% D. 12%E. 10%

Thanks for the help

we should not discuss scholarship question answers here.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 113

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 20:33
Hi All,

I have been admitted to UCD 2017 FT MBA.
I am an international student.
Post MBA goal - consulting.

There are a few questions that i need help in from the experts:

How is Smurfit in MBB consulting?

I have admits from bschools from USA (Katz and GWU). Which one should i go for?

Regards,
Himanshu

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

IE Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: 325 Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 09:58
kamathimanshu wrote:
Hi All,

I have been admitted to UCD 2017 FT MBA.
I am an international student.
Post MBA goal - consulting.

There are a few questions that i need help in from the experts:

How is Smurfit in MBB consulting?

I have admits from bschools from USA (Katz and GWU). Which one should i go for?

Regards,
Himanshu

Are any of these schools on MBB listing? Are you aware that MBBs have a list of schools they recruit from?

Here is what I can tell you about UCD Smurfit, it is a superb program and you will have access to Top Consulting recruiters in Ireland (mostly the Big4 category). I would have enrolled at Smurfit if they had financing arrangement with Prodigy Finance.

Last edited by tyor on 03 Apr 2017, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:49
Hello kamathimanshu, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but MBB requires that you have a GMAT of 700 if attending a top 10 school, and 720 if attending a top 20 school. However there are many other great consulting firms (Booz, E&Y, etc.) I do work with students who have been accepted to increase their verbal score so they are recruitable for MBB if interested.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 01:57
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hello kamathimanshu, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but MBB requires that you have a GMAT of 700 if attending a top 10 school, and 720 if attending a top 20 school. However there are many other great consulting firms (Booz, E&Y, etc.) I do work with students who have been accepted to increase their verbal score so they are recruitable for MBB if interested.

Hi MBAPrepCoach,

Thanks for your reply. I will surely look to improve my verbal score. Currently I am fixed in a dilemma of choosing between Smurfit, GWU, Pittsburg and Purdue. Which one would you recommend?

Regards,
Himanshu

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 02:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kamathimanshu wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Hi MBAPrepCoach,

Thanks for your reply. I will surely look to improve my verbal score. Currently I am fixed in a dilemma of choosing between Smurfit, GWU, Pittsburg and Purdue. Which one would you recommend?

Regards,
Himanshu

I can't give you the answer exactly, but I think I would stick with GWU or Smurfit. Purdue is nice if you want to live in the midwest but....it was dropped out of the global top 100 FT and honestly that worries me for international candidates. Pittsburg is again a bit too regional. Where do you want to live?

Research
1 - contact the recruiter at the MBB office where you want to work post MBA and pose this same question
2 - reach out to alumni of both schools who work for MBB firms through Linked In advanced search (get premium, it's free for 30 days)
3 - watch You Tube vids for both schools to get a sense of how you would fit with the culture
4 - review employment placement for the past five years for both schools

This is what you should do - complete the research you shoulda done up front! ;) It's a big decision and I would not just think about money or location. The reason you want this to get into consulting so that should guide your decision.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 76

1 KUDOS received
IE Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: 325 Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
kamathimanshu wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Hi MBAPrepCoach,

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Here is another twist to your dilemma, I have met with people at Mckinsey Ireland who have MBA from Smurfit, and after engaging with Career Services team at Smurfit, they emphasized the need to have 700 GMAT and maintain superior CGPA during the program. Ireland guarantees 2yrs post-study visas for MBAs, after which your employer can sponsor you. As emphasized earlier, there are other consulting firms who will offer you equal match in experience and reputation.

About your conundrum, I will choose Smurfit being the best school in Ireland over GWU where I still have to compete with the Top20 MBAs for the same jobs.

Goodluck with your choices

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 20:37
Hello Tyor,

Thanks for your response.

I will be preparing for giving the GMAT again as this will be helpful later on also.

Monetary aspect also plays an important role. I am waiting for the scholarship results to be out (fingers crossed).

Regards,
Himanshu

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 21:30
Hi, can anyone please share the info on the usual turnaround time for an applicant to get a response on interview followed by an admit confirmation once application is completed and submitted.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 22:02
Heramba1989 wrote:
Hi, can anyone please share the info on the usual turnaround time for an applicant to get a response on interview followed by an admit confirmation once application is completed and submitted.

Hey,

I had my interview call scheduled two weeks after i submitted my application. I got my admit on the day i got interviewed.

Regards,
Himanshu

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2017, 22:07
kamathimanshu Wow that was pretty quick. But offcourse I do understand that the overall profile, recommendations and offcourse GMAT scores do matter. I had applied for the FT MBA program on 14th April. Keeping my fingers crossed. And by the way congrats.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 21:00
Does anyone have email address details of a MBA Admissions point of contact at UCD? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Intern
Intern
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 21:31
mba@ucd.ie

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Re: Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 08 May 2017, 21:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Calling all UCD Smurfit MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap