It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:55

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 12:35
Satya090 wrote:
MBAClassof2020 wrote:
Satya090 wrote:
[quote="abhimahna"]

Yes, we are organizing 1 hour chat session with three 2nd year students of Kenan Flagler to answer all the queries that we have.

Everyone will receive the email shortly. :)

Posted from my mobile device

Wow! That's great news!!!

Yes! It is! :)
Will be done with my interview though.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I have my interview next friday..! so I hope that will be helpful!
MBAClassof2020 All the best man! Do let us know about your experience![/quote]

Sure! Thanks!

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 980 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 20:50

This Sunday: Live Chat with UNC Students

Join us this Sunday, Nov 5, for a live chat with current UNC students in GMATClub chat room.

In this chat session, student will dialogue with prospective applicants, share their MBA experience at UNC, and answer applicant questions about UNC's MBA program. Hope all of you will utilize this opportunity to interact with students and get your questions answered by them.

Students attending this session:
Ankur Gupta, MBA'18, Former GMATClub Forum Moderator.
Alisha Gandhi, MBA'18
Danil Dzhalchinov, MBA'18

Date & Time: Sunday, November 5, 2017; (7am Pacific, 3pm GMT, 8:30pm Indian Time)
Join Link: GMATClub Chat Room
Add this event to your Google calendar

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:26
Done with the interview! My interview revolved mainly around my work experience. I was asked many behavorial questions like difficult work situation, achievement that I'm proud of etc. and of course why Kenan- Flagler. :)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:33
MBAClassof2020 wrote:
Done with the interview! My interview revolved mainly around my work experience. I was asked many behavorial questions like difficult work situation, achievement that I'm proud of etc. and of course why Kenan- Flagler. :)

Almost the same experience. It was a very comfortable and easy going interview. My advice would be to relax and be yourself, they won't throw any hardballs and are really trying to get to know you better.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:35
bianalyst wrote:
MBAClassof2020 wrote:

Almost the same experience. It was a very comfortable and easy going interview. My advice would be to relax and be yourself, they won't throw any hardballs and are really trying to get to know you better.

I agree. They just want to know the candidate.

Any idea about the conversion rate? :D

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:36
MBAClassof2020 wrote:
bianalyst wrote:
MBAClassof2020 wrote:

I agree. They just want to know the candidate.

Any idea about the conversion rate? :D

No idea! But I wish they released their decision a bit earlier. It's a long wait to December 16th!

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 08:57
Thanks alot MBAClassof2020 and bianalyst for sharing your experience. :)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 10:02
Did anyone just receive a promotional email from UNC?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Board of Directors
D

Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 10:50
MBAClassof2020 wrote:
Did anyone just receive a promotional email from UNC?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Nope, I didn't. May be this was after you were done with your interview, I am just assuming though. :)

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 10:28
Hey Guys,

Are we all ready for the chat session tomorrow?

Let's ask all our doubts, general queries and any specific information if you want.

We have three 2nd year students from different backgrounds. Let's the advantage of this fact.

More details here.

See you all soon. :)

Board of Directors
D

Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 06:06

We will start the session in another one hour. See you at the chat room. :)

abhimahna wrote:

This Sunday: Live Chat with UNC Students

Join us this Sunday, Nov 5, for a live chat with current UNC students in GMATClub chat room.

In this chat session, student will dialogue with prospective applicants, share their MBA experience at UNC, and answer applicant questions about UNC's MBA program. Hope all of you will utilize this opportunity to interact with students and get your questions answered by them.

Students attending this session:
Ankur Gupta, MBA'18, Former GMATClub Forum Moderator.
Alisha Gandhi, MBA'18
Danil Dzhalchinov, MBA'18

Date & Time: Sunday, November 5, 2017; (7am Pacific, 3pm GMT, 8:30pm Indian Time)
Join Link: GMATClub Chat Room
Add this event to your Google calendar

4 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 980 [4], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Thank you all for making this event successful.

Here is the chat transcript:

Question: another aspect of the current visa issues, what problems internationals facing in terms of internships and job opportunities? how many companies and roles and offers have decreased in percentage terms from previous year?

Answer: I would agree that there are many employers that do not recruit internationals, but still as international students you have ample opportunitites for internships. Problems for internationals are that internationals get access to only a portion of jobs posted on campus. I don’t have numbers, and in tech some things even became better: now Amazon hires internationals who did not intern there. If you get a return offer, then you are hired

Question: Does that mean if I intern at Amazon, they won’t hire me for full time?

Answer: If you did not get a return offer, then you have to wait 6mo post graduation to have a chance to get hired by Amazon.

Question: could you guys discuss about finance roles post UNC?

Answer: Finance recruitments are great at UNC. Close to 25 of my batchmates went for an internship in Investment Banking. There are many roles in Corp Fin and Investment Management too..

Question: How is consulting and finance recruiting for internationals?

Answer: Consulting opportunities are the same for internationals as they are for domestic. Barring a few all the major firms recruit internationals

Question: In the latest employment report, 2nd years seem to recruit heavily in the South (40%). Do you guys find it hard to recruit for NYC or SF coming from UNC?

Answer: typically companies that come on campus recruit for the offices in South such as Atlanta, Chartlotte and DC. But if you are looking for a particualr location, you can always network with people from that office

Question: What are the most popular tech recruiters at UNC?

Answer: tech: Amazon & Dell hire the most. I will add to the list: customer success manager and finance leadership roles too. Most popular roles in Amazon would be Sr. PM, Pathways and RLDP. Dell hires for product Manager, marketing and product marketing manager roles

Question: Apart from Net Impact, are there any other clubs or campus events where the students can do some sort of pro-bono consulting?

Answer: you can do Startup Consulting starting the spring semester of the 1st year. Adding to the list of possible pro bono consulting opportunities: STAR project is one possible opportunity, plus you can consult the other departments in the university and help them improve their operations.

Question: Can you guys talk a little bit about your experience with your Study Teams and case competitions you guys participated? Did you find those experiences helpful ?

Answer: All team interactions are very helpful. The school teaches us to get and give feedback, so you are able to discover yourself more by interacting with other people. study groups are usually diverse: male/female, white/black/asian, arts/engineering/business.

Question: What difficulties do you think Internationals have faced since Trump came to picture?

Answer: I personal see no difference in pre and post Trump era. even if there was a change it was very small

Question: how good the program is for operation consulting in energy sector?

Answer: operation consulting in energy sector... that’s a very niche career

Question: Do international students get one shot or two shot at the H1B Lottery? I heard that we can apply once immediately after getting a job

Answer: you an get 2 lotteries if you fulfill credit requirements by the 3rd mod of 2nd year and you have an offer on hand. This is a bit complicated. Here are the steps: 1) Get an offer from the internship employer 2) Complete the 63 credits before march 3) Ask the employer to file your VISA application as a potential employee. Many people do this.

Question: How receptive if UNC to applicants from family business background and is TOEFL reqd?

Answer: There are many people in our batch who are from family business background. TOEFL is not required if you can give a document that says that your undergrad was in English medium

Question: Lets say a student gets a job in the Big 4. Then even if he doesn’t wins the lottery, how good are the chances that he will be sent to a different onsite location and apply again next year?

Answer: there is no need to reapply for H1B. If the company can send you to another location for 1 year, then they can apply for an L visa for you

Question: Do people get placed for Human Capital Consulting? What are the typical companies for that domain and most popular companies for this?

Answer: Most of the consulting companies recruit you as a generalist and then place you on different projects. You can always state your prefence

Question: How good are the chances that these consulting firms send those employees ( who dont win H1B lottery) to places such as Europe so that they don’t have to return to their home country?

Answer: This would be a good question for representatives from those firms It totally depends on the firm

Question: What is the average amount of hours students spend on extra-curriculars and what is the level of involvement of students in Energy, Soccer, and Adventure clubs?

Answer: That depends from individual to individual are your priorities. Taking out time in the initial 2 mods might be difficult but you can certainly take part in some of the activities

Question: How is the study pressure? Do you guys enjoy it?

Answer: First year is hard and it should be. You have core classes and recruiting to take care of. After that things become a bit light. First year is meant to be exhausting. But if you quickly decide and prioritize recruiting options you will be in a good position by Novemeber. folks play soccer 2 times a week, I believe.

Question: I also realized that one should (if not must) have a car to commute. How do you find your commute to the school and availability of affordable housing? (specifically I heard that rent went up considerably in the last 3-5 years)

Answer: There are plenty of living options. If you chose to live on campus, then the school is at a 5 min walking distance. If you are on campus housing don;t worry about commute to school or to the Franklin Street. As far as I know, then rents have increased by $30 per year for the past 2 years.. having a car is mandatory in any American city smaller thatn Boston, NY, SF, and such =). But if you are away - you kind of need a car.

Question: Can we Cross register for courses outside the bschool? I am looking for classes related to Sustainability and Education .

Answer: You definitely can, but tat will be in second year. In the 1st and 2nd mod you will have a set core curriculum and recruiting kicks in to. you’ll get credits for those classes. You get credits
for taking classes at other department just like you get credits for taking classes at B-School. I know a person who takes squash as a class =) but those credits won’t count into graduation )).

Question: What % of the students convert their internships into Full Time ?

Answer: it depends on company. Dell converted >90% of interns and Amazon converted ~50%. McKinsey converted 100%.

Question: If there is one piece of advice that you would give to a candidate interviewing, then what would it be?

Answer: Interviewing Advice - Show your personality and connect the dots between past experience, why UNC or B School and the why your short or long term goal. As I said, make sure you have thorough answers for why MBA, why Kenan Flalger, how does the MBA tie in with your career goals. Also do not hesitate to bring experiences from outside work place.

Question: Your favorite course and professors respectively? and why ?

Answrr: My Fav classes - Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation, Entrepreneurship through Acquisition, Pricing, Entrepreneurial Finance. I enjoyed all data analytics classes: Business Statistics and Analytics (Merserau), Data Analytics and Decision Making (Staats), and Marketing Analytics and Big Data (Jindal) - all of them were very hands-on experiences and I used the skills during my internship. Stephen Arbogast, Adam Merserau, Shawn Munday, and the Pricing Prof are awesome at engaging a class. Markus Saba took the Global Healthcare class and I sat on it this past MOD. His experiences are amazing. Hes traveled to almost every country and has only worked in Healthcare. So it was a very informative class

Question: What are the different ways in which students can approach networking? Can you give some specifics in terms of names of the networking events

Answer: School arranges for Networking forum with a host of employers. Apart from that the companies come on campus and are glad to stay back and network. You can use the Alumni directory also to find people in your desired companies. Networking: companies host presentations on campus, there are also professional networking events in the Triangle Area, but I’d say mostly it’s driven by the students themselves: going to Linkedin and reaching out to people.

Question: How KFBS perceives students from non business / non engineering background regarding the pre-term courses? Or does it send all (most) students for those courses?

Answer: The pre courses are totally optional. all backgrounds are good backgrounds as it’s always interesting to hear point of view of a person with completely different way of thinking from yours ).

Question: wat is the average score for an indian applicant to get an admit

Answer: I dont think we have any such data. However there is a big range of sores. 680 – 780

Question: What are the fit qualities that ADComs r looking for? Which quality is valued thee most out of leadership, team skills, analytical skillls, etc.?

Answer: Leadership and Collaboration (Team Work) are super valuable at UNC.. However, you must show your inclination to the UNC Core Values during an interview question focusing on fit. There is not a single quality that i can point out. These are all important to succeed at the B-School and in your career. They follow a holistic approach. You might not have analytical skills at all but then you must be better than average in another area

Kudos [?]: 980 [4], given: 72

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 10:27
Hi
Any idea when will the next set of interview invites be rolled out for the Early Action applicants?

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 120

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 20:52
abhimahna wrote:

Question: how do you feel about post MBA jobs in tech/consulting and ongoing anxiety with H1B and residence permits. Do you guys feel that it’s been harder for international applicants this year?

Answer: how do you feel about post MBA jobs in tech/consulting and ongoing anxiety with H1B and residence permits. Do you guys feel that it’s been harder for international applicants this year?

Buddy, you might wanna correct this.

12345aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ67890

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 120

Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:17
DigitsnLetters wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

Question: how do you feel about post MBA jobs in tech/consulting and ongoing anxiety with H1B and residence permits. Do you guys feel that it’s been harder for international applicants this year?

Answer: how do you feel about post MBA jobs in tech/consulting and ongoing anxiety with H1B and residence permits. Do you guys feel that it’s been harder for international applicants this year?

Buddy, you might wanna correct this.

Thank you. I removed it. :)

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:18
Hey Guys,

What is the deadline for International Applicants UNC Kenan-Flagler? R2 or R3?

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 980 [1], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey Guys,

As such there is no difference in the deadline for Internationals or domestic students.

This post can show you the details you need.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p1881330

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 23:30
abhimahna wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey Guys,

As such there is no difference in the deadline for Internationals or domestic students.

This post can show you the details you need.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p1881330

Hey Abhimahna,

Thanks for your quick reply

The reason I asked this is because some bschools have a deadline for International Applicants and that is generally R2. But UNC-KF has 4 rounds, hence I was a bit confused over here.

Thanks for clearing my concern :-)

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
Completed my interview. It lasted for 25 minutes.

Questions asked:

1. Why MBA?
2. What do you think is a good leadership style?
3. What is your Short term goal?
4. What is your long term goal?
5. Why UNC?
6. If you were given an opportunity to make a team of 5, what qualities would you like to see?
7. What is your greatest achievement?
8. Do you have any questions for me?
9. How will you describe UNC in three words?

Overall experience was good.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 09:31
abhimahna wrote:
Completed my interview. It lasted for 25 minutes.

Questions asked:

1. Why MBA?
2. What do you think is a good leadership style?
3. What is your Short term goal?
4. What is your long term goal?
5. Why UNC?
6. If you were given an opportunity to make a team of 5, what qualities would you like to see?
7. What is your greatest achievement?
8. Do you have any questions for me?
9. How will you describe UNC in three words?

Overall experience was good.

Mine lasted 25 minutes too.

Re: Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 09:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  17    Next  [ 330 posts ] 

Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap