It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [2], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
edgeook8 wrote:
Congratulations, nathank!

Question for anyone (aerien?): I know that WL applicants can be accepted from the WL as late as early August, but at what point in the summer do the chances of getting an acceptance call radically drop? Note that this is my only biz school prospect (for 2017 intake) as I applied to only three schools, all somewhat on a whim in R3 (I intended orginally to wait until the 2018 intake), and I was rejected after interviews from the other two. So my situation is somewhat different than many others on the WL in that I am unsure whether I will continue to work next year or attend business school. I'd imagine most other WL applicants have made deposits at other schools and are, therefore, uncertain about where they will attend, but not about whether they will attend business school in the fall.

My boss, who wrote my LOR, has been understandably very persistent in asking when I will know for sure whether I am returning in the fall to work (I'm a teacher, so I'm currently on break). I explained to her -- I think correctly -- that my chances are pretty slim, and that I'll likely continue at my school for one more year. So, again, at what point should I essentially give up on any prospects of being admitted in this cycle? Also, historically, does SOM release/reject candidates from the WL on a rolling basis in the summer that anyone knows of?

Thanks for any insight.

As you've seen adcom is culling the list! I don't recall exact dates (they're somewhere on the site) but my year Orientation was early August. Working backwards, that meant pretty much everyone* knew by mid July ish giving you some time to sort out your life/move to New Haven**. I assume internationals were notified earlier - possibly June - based on their visa timelines (yes, adcom does keep that in mind).

* I'm not sure if SOM keeps some people around through Orientation like Duke does in order to fill out the class just in case. Everyone I know went through Orientation (or had planned to go barring any unexpected personal situations)

** I also assume the closer you are to New Haven, the higher your chances of being on the WL longer (eg if you're already at Yale for another program and adcom lets you in the day before Orientation, you'll probably be able to make it in time)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 572 [2], given: 345

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 37

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 12:18
mbaseeker180000 wrote:
congrats nathank! I haven't received any calls, and I haven't received any email updates or updates in the portal either. I do know from the clearadmit livewire that it appears a slew of WL'ers got let go last week, so sounds like they are definitely cutting the list. Still not holding my breath but good to know that I'm still in it!

Good luck to you!

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 12:19
aerien wrote:
edgeook8 wrote:
Congratulations, nathank!

Question for anyone (aerien?): I know that WL applicants can be accepted from the WL as late as early August, but at what point in the summer do the chances of getting an acceptance call radically drop? Note that this is my only biz school prospect (for 2017 intake) as I applied to only three schools, all somewhat on a whim in R3 (I intended orginally to wait until the 2018 intake), and I was rejected after interviews from the other two. So my situation is somewhat different than many others on the WL in that I am unsure whether I will continue to work next year or attend business school. I'd imagine most other WL applicants have made deposits at other schools and are, therefore, uncertain about where they will attend, but not about whether they will attend business school in the fall.

My boss, who wrote my LOR, has been understandably very persistent in asking when I will know for sure whether I am returning in the fall to work (I'm a teacher, so I'm currently on break). I explained to her -- I think correctly -- that my chances are pretty slim, and that I'll likely continue at my school for one more year. So, again, at what point should I essentially give up on any prospects of being admitted in this cycle? Also, historically, does SOM release/reject candidates from the WL on a rolling basis in the summer that anyone knows of?

Thanks for any insight.

As you've seen adcom is culling the list! I don't recall exact dates (they're somewhere on the site) but my year Orientation was early August. Working backwards, that meant pretty much everyone* knew by mid July ish giving you some time to sort out your life/move to New Haven**. I assume internationals were notified earlier - possibly June - based on their visa timelines (yes, adcom does keep that in mind).

* I'm not sure if SOM keeps some people around through Orientation like Duke does in order to fill out the class just in case. Everyone I know went through Orientation (or had planned to go barring any unexpected personal situations)

** I also assume the closer you are to New Haven, the higher your chances of being on the WL longer (eg if you're already at Yale for another program and adcom lets you in the day before Orientation, you'll probably be able to make it in time)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Orientation begins on August 14th this year. I've posted this before, but also wanted to reiterate that I was already living in New Haven, which probably helped me out!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 17:34
Awesome. Congrats @nathank! In that case, move my timeline about 7-10 days back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 28

Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 334 Q164 V170
GPA: 3
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 18:12
Hi, all. Thanks for the input! I sent an email to admissions, just to reiterate my interest, and they volunteered that they would be revisiting the WL this week and would let me know as soon as they make a decision (which may or may not be this week). Not sure if they were speaking specifically to my application or not, so don't necessarily generalize to all applicants. The admissions office has been very kind and forthcoming throughout this process, confirming my interest in the school.

Good luck to us all!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Schools: Yale '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 760 Q55 V60
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hey edgeook8 - it did seem like the revisited the waitlist and let a few folks go last Thursday July 6, at least based on Livewire. Curious as to whom you called - just the main admissions line or the contact who interviewed you?

Hoping to either be rejected or accepted finally this week or next since it will be a month out from orientation, although I suppose I could manage sticking around through the end of the month and still have enough time to give notice on my job if accepted.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 19:44
mbaseeker180000 -- I had sent my email to the waitlist email address. I didn't end up getting any news -- good or bad -- that week (last week of June), though I personally know of at least two people (who did not post to LiveWire) who were released from the waitlist that week. Add to these the ones who were released July 6th, and the WL is getting quite small. I did send another email to the waitlist account three weeks after my end-of-June email which reiterated my interest, to which I received a reply that they would be revisiting the WL end-of-July. Not the news I wanted, but it has reduced my compulsive checking of this site, LiveWire, my email, and the application portal to approximately twice a day... ha... as I unfortunately do not expect to hear anything until the latter quarter of this month.

Does your job have an inkling that you are on the WL and would leave if accepted? I have been transparent at work (I mean, they wrote my recommendations) and now that my administrators know that I'm on my way out the door either this year or the next, I have received some flack -- so much so that I am really hoping that by some miracle I make it in this year. I was previously resolved to take a rejection in stride, knowing that I have a strong chance applying in R1 next cycle (I applied R3), but rejection will likely sting given the year that I'm facing at work. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in this situation.

If anyone has any other insight into this summer WL, I'd love to hear. If I hear any word, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 14:26
Hey, all. Still trudging along on the WL. I was told end-of-July, but when I sent an update last week I was told that I should hear by this week (my update had to do with my availability). I noticed on Livewire some movement from peer schools, including two "M7": Kellog and Sloan, so I am hoping for the same from SOM (perhaps an SOMer or two was a recipient of a WL acceptance, clearing a few slots for us?). I also know that there was a mid-July international acceptance to SOM. I am being totally realistic and -- therefore -- I am not terribly optimistic, but WL acceptances apparently do happen! Haha. We shall see...

Posted from my mobile device

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
edgeook8 wrote:
Hey, all. Still trudging along on the WL. I was told end-of-July, but when I sent an update last week I was told that I should hear by this week (my update had to do with my availability). I noticed on Livewire some movement from peer schools, including two "M7": Kellog and Sloan, so I am hoping for the same from SOM (perhaps an SOMer or two was a recipient of a WL acceptance, clearing a few slots for us?). I also know that there was a mid-July international acceptance to SOM. I am being totally realistic and -- therefore -- I am not terribly optimistic, but WL acceptances apparently do happen! Haha. We shall see...

Posted from my mobile device

Best of luck!

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 28

Re: Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 14:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap