It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.77
Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 19:20
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by Narenn on 06 Dec 2016, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Waitlist Roll Call Added

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Re: Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 19:24
Purgatory dweller, checking in.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3787 [0], given: 2445

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 19:44
Thanks Hopefulman for starting this thread. I've added waitlist roll call in the first post. Usernames of waitlisted applicants appear automatically on the roll call when they update their profile status to waitlisted.

Good luck to all waitlisted applicants. Take a look at articles on waitlist strategies and links of previous waitlist discussions added in the first post. We have an informal chat with an admission expert on Wed morning in the chat room. You are welcome to attend this chat and discuss next strategy with the expert.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 20:31
As I felt that I would be waitlisted, I started reading about this strange limbo situation last week. From my readings, I understood that to be admitted off the waitlist, we need to update something in our profile - promotion, GMAT score, quant classes, new recommendation, etc., and to notify the school about this change.

However, I was wondering if it ever happened in the past that someone who did not send any update about his or her profile finally got admitted off the waitlist?
In other words, did Yale waitlist us because we absolutely need to change something in our application? Or, is there a chance that our application was alright, even if it was not as good as the ones who got in, and that we could just wait for a spot to be freed in the class?

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 11:03
Tips for waitlisted Yale applicants from Aringo expert in today's chat....

Q: Yale SOM published R1 results yesterday. Many of our forum members have been waitlisted. Would you like to give any tips/advice to them? What to do, What NOT to do, etc.?

A: Excellent question about Yale. My biggest tip is to NOT wait quietly! now is the time to submit those additional letters of recommendation, update the SOM on any accomplishments since submitting your application - promotions, successful projects or other undertakings. Instructions on where to submit here: http://som.yale.edu/yale-som-waitlist And, by way of a shameless plug for ARINGO - we can help! Waitlist strategy is one of our many areas of expertise. Register here for info: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.88

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 12:15
Is it true that almost everyone who was interviewed and did not get selected got put on the waitlist? Have some people also been waitlisted without an interview?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 12:19
Edit:
shinigamikirin wrote:
Is it true that almost everyone who was interviewed and did not get selected got put on the waitlist? Have some people also been waitlisted without an interview?

Me. Waitlisted without an interview.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 16:46
wwew wrote:
Edit:
shinigamikirin wrote:

Me. Waitlisted without an interview.

Same here.

Expert Post
Board of Directors
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 07:30
Miralicious wrote:
As I felt that I would be waitlisted, I started reading about this strange limbo situation last week. From my readings, I understood that to be admitted off the waitlist, we need to update something in our profile - promotion, GMAT score, quant classes, new recommendation, etc., and to notify the school about this change.

However, I was wondering if it ever happened in the past that someone who did not send any update about his or her profile finally got admitted off the waitlist?
In other words, did Yale waitlist us because we absolutely need to change something in our application? Or, is there a chance that our application was alright, even if it was not as good as the ones who got in, and that we could just wait for a spot to be freed in the class?

The idea that something has to be "changed" in your profile to be admitted off a WL, to me, is perpetuated by discussion boards and admissions consultants.
Your application could be perfectly fine - but for whatever reason, they're holding you to the next round. At the end of the day, application pools are all relative. The R1 pool could be very competitive and you happen to be just shy of whatever bar adcom has. The R2 pool may have different characteristics/attributes as a whole, in which case your WL-ed app could have a certain experience or quality that would mesh well and score you an admit. It's all about making a class a whole.

Now of course, since you don't have the decision you want, I think it's easy to think something is "wrong" or needs to be "fixed". And there's many threads on here highlighting what you can do to try to put forth a good effort of getting off a WL (e.g., sending in updates, talking to adcom, visiting campus, etc). Some people may do all these things and there simply won't be enough space in the class ultimately. Some people may simply wait it out and ultimately be admitted. How that decision is made is with adcom behind closed doors. We can only speculate and hope for the best.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 17

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 09:53
This post received
KUDOS
Miralicious wrote:

Hi Prospective Class of 2019,

My name is JC. I'm a current 2nd year at Booth and once a former waitlisted applicant, who frequented these forums when I applied way back in 2014.

That said, over the last year, I've had many one-on-one informal conversations with waitlisted candidates to share how I navigated the process and decided to consolidate all that info into a single, distributable post. To that end, I recently wrote a medium post on tactics for improving your chances on the waitlist based on my personal experience and research.

Though the case study I run through is about my own process with Booth, I believe many of the tactics are broadly applicable.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

https://medium.com/@positivelyjc/so-youve-been-waitlisted-now-what-cfc344779153#.xepc3d990

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 06:08
Hey Guys !

Anyone received feedback on their applications yet ?
I mailed the waitlist email ID a week ago, and got an automated mail confirming they'd get back to me. However, no luck so far.

Should I send them a reminder or wait it out ?

Regards,
Talha

Expert Post
Board of Directors
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 07:20
aftab90 wrote:
Hey Guys !

Anyone received feedback on their applications yet ?
I mailed the waitlist email ID a week ago, and got an automated mail confirming they'd get back to me. However, no luck so far.

Should I send them a reminder or wait it out ?

Regards,
Talha

Wait it out. They've likely been inundated with similar requests and are getting through them. Also keep in mind that we're getting closer to the US holiday season so the school will be on holiday soon.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

aerien

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

GRE 1: 330 Q165 V165

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 13:45
[removed]

Last edited by admitkid07 on 28 Feb 2017, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 14:00
Are we going to receive feedback on our application??? As far as I know, usually adcom gives no any feedback. Only self-assessment is adviced

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Board of Directors
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 14:15
admitkid07 wrote:
Hey guys-

Waitlisted in R1. That was a rough day.

So I emailed the SOM waitlist a few weeks later. I asked if there was anything I could work on in my application, and I received a reply saying there was nothing specific that I needed to work on, sometimes it's just a matter of waiting.

This puts me in a tough situation. Realistically, I'm not going to be promoted or achieve anything notable in the next two months. Is it really just a matter of waiting? I don't know what else to do. I did apply to a separate school at Yale (joint degree) and I'm hoping I can get accepted to that program and let the adcom know before March. Any thoughts on continuing to update the adcom when there's not much you have to say?

If you don't have much to say, I wouldn't bother adcom. People get accepted off wait lists without doing anything at all, only waiting (really).

If you want to do something to show your interest then If you're near campus, do a tour. Go to an event near you if there is one of you want (hey, there's usually free food at least and maybe you can ask some questions about the wait list). Not mandatory by any means. Just some ideas.

aerien

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 14:38
aerien wrote:
If you don't have much to say, I wouldn't bother adcom. People get accepted off wait lists without doing anything at all, only waiting (really).

If you want to do something to show your interest then If you're near campus, do a tour. Go to an event near you if there is one of you want (hey, there's usually free food at least and maybe you can ask some questions about the wait list). Not mandatory by any means. Just some ideas.

Yeah sounds reasonable. I actually live in New Haven and interviewed at SOM. I guess there's not much I can do for now!

Expert Post
Board of Directors
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 21:19
admitkid07 wrote:
aerien wrote:

Yeah sounds reasonable. I actually live in New Haven and interviewed at SOM. I guess there's not much I can do for now!

Haha then nope! Don't be a stalker ;)

aerien

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 23:16

How to Get Off the MBA Waitlist - YouTube Live by GMAT Club and Personal MBA Coach.

Dear Waitlisted Applicants,
You put a lot of time and effort into your MBA applications and, after months of hard work, you’re…waiting. It’s ok to scream into a pillow or go to town on a punching bag. It’s frustrating! But after you do, sign up for this youtube live session hosted by Scott Edinburgh, Founder of Personal MBA Coach. He'll talk about the process, the stats, do's and don'ts, and what has worked for his clients in the past. He'll wrap everything up with a live Q&A session. You don't want to miss this!

About Scott Edinburgh

A Wharton MBA graduate with a BS from MIT, Scott has been an MBA admissions consultant for eight years and has helped hundreds of applicants around the world get into top MBA programs. Besides perfecting the MBA admissions process and making dreams come true for applicants from Tokyo to San Francisco and everywhere in between, he has also worked across consulting, financial services and strategy & corporate development roles before becoming a Full-Time admissions consultant. He ran Global Strategy / Corporate Development as a Director of a 700 person leading independent publishing company. He also worked for InterContinental Hotels Group in Global Strategy, as well as JP Morgan and Deloitte Consulting in Mergers & Acquisitions. His experience in many of the jobs applicants have today or hope to obtain post-MBA helps him advise them on the best ways to not only get into their top choice schools, but position themselves for their dream jobs.

As an individual MBA admissions consultant, he takes the time to get to know every client personally as they go through the journey together. This starts with a deep analysis into applicant's background, an identification of his/her objectives and a thorough development of personal story. His no BS approach ensures that nothing falls through the cracks and his feedback is honest, non-sugar coated and immediate. He push his clients very hard and the work pays off. 96% of his clients got into one of their top two or three schools. He works with applicants applying to full-time MBA programs as well as Executive and part-time MBA programs.

Date and Time:

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Pacific Time (4 PM GMT; 9:30 PM India; 12 AM Singapore)

Joining Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-wDgaTpMU

Add this event to your Google calendar

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 22:52
positivelyJC wrote:
Miralicious wrote:

Hi Prospective Class of 2019,

My name is JC. I'm a current 2nd year at Booth and once a former waitlisted applicant, who frequented these forums when I applied way back in 2014.

That said, over the last year, I've had many one-on-one informal conversations with waitlisted candidates to share how I navigated the process and decided to consolidate all that info into a single, distributable post. To that end, I recently wrote a medium post on tactics for improving your chances on the waitlist based on my personal experience and research.

Though the case study I run through is about my own process with Booth, I believe many of the tactics are broadly applicable.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

https://medium.com/@positivelyjc/so-youve-been-waitlisted-now-what-cfc344779153#.xepc3d990

Thanks a lot JC ! Your post was extremely helpful in compiling my own waitlist update for SOM

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
This thread is very quiet, but updating to say I was accepted from the WL yesterday (there is hope). I saw two other people on ClearAdmit with a similar status. For anyone reading this now/in the future, I know how exhausting the waiting process can be.

Steps I took: Accepted into a joint-degree at Yale and let AdCom know. Spoke to a professor from the program and mentioned that in my update (which was about 6 sentences total). DID NOT retake the GMAT/GRE, write an additional essay, etc. I sent three emails to AdCom in total. Some of the advice I've seen seems ridiculously extensive and downright bothersome to the admissions team. Good luck to everyone wherever you find yourself. So thrilled and privileged to be attending SOM.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 8

Re: Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2017, 11:25

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Calling All Waitlisted Yale SOM (Class of 2019) Applicants

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap