It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 10:06

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019

post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Students compete in Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC) Glob [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 15:01
FROM Booth Evening and Weekend MBA Admissions Blog: Students compete in Venture Capital Investment Competition (VCIC) Global Finals

For the first time, two Chicago Booth teams completed at the Venture Capital Investment Competition Global Finals at UNC Chapel Hill this year. After advancing from the Energy Foundry VCIC at Chicago Booth, they each won their respective regional competitions at UT Austin and Yale and advanced to take home second and third place honors at the Global Finals.

Instead of pitching their own business ideas, competitors in VCIC act as investors working with real entrepreneurs to evaluate companies, present their investment thesis, and negotiate deal terms. Venture Capital judges observe and give feedback on each team’s competence and credibility in assuming the roles of venture capitalists.

Current Weekend MBA students Cliff Nelson and Jackie DiMonte share their experiences throughout the competition.

Congratulations on your third place finish at the finals! What was the most important lesson that you learned from the competition?

Cliff: I learned a lot about the detailed work that should go into giving a great presentation. Because of our coursework and preparation, I didn’t have any doubts that we’d be able to accurately evaluate the businesses and put together a strong investment thesis. It was much more challenging to decide how we’d convey our expertise to the judges, including everything from timing and transitions to deciding which of us was most likely to develop strong rapport with the entrepreneurs. This reinforced a lot of the lessons from the Leadership Development program and the seminars in the Chicago Business Fellows program, which stressed the importance of leadership presence.

Jackie: Standing up for your ideas (and of course, having the data to support them) is key. It pays off to have an opinion and be decisive in your thoughts and actions. Booth helps you develop frameworks and methodologies for evaluating options and encourages you to take a stand. The classroom is one of the best low-risk environments to test out your aptitude for decision making and I think this has served us well at VCIC as well as in the “real world.”

Did the competition change your approach to Booth or your job?

Cliff: I’m currently interning with an angel investor group that provides seed funding to early-stage companies in many sectors. After the VCIC experience, I’ll take a lot more time to build the relationships that go along with investment opportunities. Each round of the competition, the rapport we built with the entrepreneurs helped a lot at the negotiating table. In the final round at UNC Chapel Hill, our offer was significantly lower than another team’s, but we stayed in contention because the entrepreneur felt we’d be great partners.

Jackie: Yes. I touched earlier on decisiveness which is something I try very hard to practice on a regular basis.

Did the competition change much from round to round?

Cliff: The format of each round was very similar. What changed the most for me was the team dynamic. We deliberately formed a team with diverse backgrounds in consulting, real estate, medical devices, energy, and fintech - an easy thing to do at Booth. By the time we reached the Global Finals, I think we had a really smooth process. Each of us felt comfortable stepping up when a deal was in our wheelhouse. And when we had differing opinions on the companies, we could forcefully debate ideas while remaining collaborative as people.

Jackie: I echo Cliff’s sentiment. Personally, I grew more confident in my own and my team’s abilities each round. One thing that was interesting to compare across rounds and groups of judges were the types of questions we were asked and which parts of our analysis or thesis were challenged. That breadth and exposure to how different VCs (from across geographies, company stages, and target verticals) think has helped me develop a better perspective on evaluating companies in general.

What do you think were the most important factors to your strong showing?

Cliff: For me, the best preparation came from a couple of key classes - Commercializing Innovation and Entrepreneurial Finance & Private Equity with Professor Scott Meadow. Everyone on the team had taken or been a teaching assistant for at least one of those classes. Commercializing Innovation is all about evaluating the strategy and underlying economics of a venture capital deal, and that helped us to ask the right questions of the entrepreneurs and effectively communicate our point of view to the judges. The midterm for Entrepreneurial Finance involves preparing terms for a VC investment and negotiating with another group. It follows a very similar format to VCIC negotiations, so participating in those as both a student and a TA was great preparation.

Jackie: We had a strong team that prepared well and executed well. From a preparation perspective, it was very easy to reach out to Booth VCIC alum, professors, members of the Chicago VC community and others for tips and tricks for the competition - you wouldn’t believe how responsive and helpful the Booth community is. We coupled that advice with our own strategy and debrief sessions so that we had a framework to fall back on each round when things got messy. This helped us execute well - because of our deliberate and thorough preparation, we knew we could trust each other when it came down to the wire.

From a tactical perspective, participating in VCIC has opened up many doors for me - the exposure I had led to interviews for both the PE/VC Lab here at Booth as well as the venture capital firm that I will be joining as a full-time associate in June.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 14:15
I just got in for the fall weekend program. The turnaround is pretty fast considering I just had my interview the past Saturday. I'm excited and look forward to meeting some of you guys! Good luck to those awaiting hearing back!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 05:55
anyone else hear back recently?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Premium Member
Re: Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 12:07
Has anyone else heard back for the Weekend MBA program fall 2016 or the Booth Civic Scholars Program? I had my interview on May 20th and haven't heard back yet, so just curious!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 12:09
i haven't as of yet. interviewed last week. will keep you updated!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Booth PT '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V42
GPA: 3.79
WE: Marketing (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 12:16
shynic89, congrats on getting in! Definitely does seem like a quick turnaround time for you between interview and final decision.

buzyness & sharanyarajagopal — Weekend applicant here. I recently received follow-up communications from admissions for some supplemental material. No final decision released yet, be it waitlist, deny, or accept for me. Are both of you done with your interviews yet?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein

http://mbable.wordpress.com

Intern
Intern

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 12:22
chihawksfan Yes I had my interview with an alum on May 20th. Haven't heard anything from the school after that. My understanding is that for the Civic Scholars Program there is a second round of interviews at Gleacher in the 3rd week of June. The timeline for the weekend MBA admit decisions is probably a bit different? I dont know any other civic scholars applicant, so just curious about their timeline!
sam2188 When did you apply for the weekend MBA? do you mind sharing your stats with the rest of us? :) Thanks !!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 06:56
shynic89: could you share what date they gave for deadline to accept/decline?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 07:39
June 6th...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: McCombs '18 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 22:19
Would any of you mind sharing your interview experience?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
arm999 check this blog post out, thought it was really helpful and inline with the interview questions.
adammarkus chicago-booth-mba-admission-interviews

still haven't received an update on my application status. same for you guys?

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:05
Hey, buzyness. I'm in a unique predicament. Admissions reached out to me saying they would not be able to release a final decision for me until I can send a transcript with a final grade for a class I'm taking as part of my "alternative transcript". So I wouldn't get a decision sent to me until week of 6/13, and I think that's just associated with a technicality to complete file before closing it out or something.

Good luck to the rest of you guys waiting!

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:14
chihawksfan well that sounds promising! good luck to you :) when was your interview by the way?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:31
congrats to all who got accepted!

Check out Polariis, our on-demand MBA admission consulting platform at http://www.polariis.com

+ Hourly rate: $80 - $120
    + Receive the latest advice/tips directly from Top 10 MBA alumni and existing candidates!
    + Our Advisors are MBA alumni, candidates and former Admission Officers from the Top 10 business schools.
    + Services offered range from personalized MBA personal statement critique, mock interviews to reference letter prep.
    + Services are itemized. You don't have to pay for the whole package.

Last edited by polariisMBA on 06 Jun 2016, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:43
Check out our MBA admission consulting platform at http://www.polariis.com

Polariis is an on-demand MBA admission consulting platform. Receive the latest advice/tips directly from Booth MBA alumni and existing candidates!
    + Our Advisors are MBA alumni, candidates and former Admission Officers from the Top 10 business schools.
    + Services offered range from personalized MBA personal statement critique, mock interviews to reference letter prep.

So, why wait? Check out Polariis at http://www.Polariis.com
The iOS app is available on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/polariis-find-mentors-for/id1086444553?mt=8

Check out Polariis, our on-demand MBA admission consulting platform at http://www.polariis.com

+ Receive the latest advice/tips directly from Top 10 MBA alumni and existing candidates!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 07:51
Thanks! :) Hoping for a good outcome. I did my interview back in January for Chicago Business Fellows, so it was different because I got interviewed before I even finished my app. It went well! The format was unusual because I had a group interview with other candidates, followed by a 1:1 with a current student (I was lucky because my student interviewer had a similar professional background and understood my mindset).

How about you, buzyness -- when was your interview and how did it go?

Manager
Manager

How Weekend Road Warriors Work the Commute [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 12:02
FROM Booth Evening and Weekend MBA Admissions Blog: How Weekend Road Warriors Work the Commute
 Booth’s Weekend MBA students are an organized bunch. They have to be. Most are juggling their course load with full-time jobs and, sometimes, family responsibilities. Three-quarters of Weekend MBA Program students travel from outside Chicago each week. Successful commuters plan ahead, master the details, and make the most of their time on campus. Here students share tips and tricks that make their weekend trips efficient and enjoyable.

Enabling us to grow 

Christina Fellows and Brandon Fellows, a married couple based in Minneapolis, decided to pursue an MBA together. “My sister graduated from the Full-Time Program and, judging from her experience, I knew Booth take us out of our comfort zone.”

Support at work 

Anastasia Mironova worked at ConocoPhillips in Houston as a geophysicist but was interested in the investment side of the oil and gas business. That requires expertise in finance, “and my mentors at work encouraged me.”

Striking work-life balance

Jessica Blake, who works at an energy Image

company in Washington, D.C., strives for balance.

“I take Sunday off and chill. On Monday and Wednesday I have conference calls with my study group. I work out on Thursday and then do homework. My company lets me work remotely on Friday, my travel day.”

Relish the journey

Many students fly into Chicago on Friday afternoon for an evening class. Others fly in Saturday morning. Alek Auxier usually takes an 8:30 a.m. flight from Seattle, which arrives in plenty of time for a 6 p.m. class. Most times he catches a Saturday evening flight home. If there’s an event he wants to attend, he stays over until Sunday.  “I work on the flight to Chicago, but going home, I watch a movie, let my mind relax.”

In the bag

Many students keep a bag for the weekend packed and ready to go. Blake never checks a suitcase: “Waiting at baggage claim could slow you down by an hour.” Mironova recommends TSA Precheck to avoid the uncertainty of long waits on the security line.

Time to explore 

“I get so much benefit outside the classroom,” Fellows said. “I grab lunch with people or go to an event. You learn about other industries and other people.”

Track travel

Mironova recommends booking hotel rooms in advance to get the best rate. “You can always cancel,” she says. “For flights, hold off until your class schedule is nailed down.’’ Blake keeps a spreadsheet to track her flights, hotel reservations, special events, and meetings with professors.  “One time I flew to Chicago and realized I had forgotten to book my return.”

Downtime at the airport 

After class on Saturdays, students ride complimentary Booth shuttles to O’Hare and Midway airports. They evolve into a cohort of travel pals that grab a drink or snack before their flights home. “You’re hanging out with five or 10 students on the same schedule but going to different states,” Auxier said. “You build strong friendships.”
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2016, 04:13
chihawksfan insteresting the different format for different programs. I've applied for the weekend program, submitted application on 05/13 and interviewed on 5/28 - interview was with a current student, and went well in my opinion, lasted about 45 minutes. I'm hoping I hear back this week!!

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 05:31
admitted!! :) for the weekend program for this fall

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Booth PT '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V26
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 05:46
buzyness wrote:
admitted!! :) for the weekend program for this fall

CONGRATS!!!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2016, 05:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 117 posts ] 

Calling Booth Evening/Weekend MBA Aspirants (2016 Intake)Class of 2019

post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap