Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 12:21 It is currently 11 May 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5655 [27]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 484 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, one of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone explain the solution to this question. I chose A over D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, one of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Any answer?
I too choose A over D.
A is the only one that illustrates a case where 'survival of the fittest' is contested. Mating vs survival.
Correct?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5655 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
nitzzi, Wonderwoman31 - I have tried to explain the situation. Hope it is helpful for you.

Guys, Let me attempt this question. Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and if you know it, do not refer to that info. Only thing we know about it is this
Quote:
Many people interpret this phrase to mean that evolution always favors the organism that is best suited to survive in its environment

Pre-thinking - What I need to do is find an option that is verifying above given definition. on simple lines, I will evaluate that bird (or animal) with it in 100(or more/less) yrs ago. With time what evolution did to them.

Out of A and D, let see which one fits above info and Why?

A. Studies have shown that a type of male flycatcher (a bird) with an extra-long tail is more desirable to females as a mate than flycatchers with shorter tails, even though the longer tail hinders the bird's flying ability and makes it more vulnerable to predation. ---- Lets ask few question to analyze this. so long tail is cause of evolution or cause of genetics or any thing else of that bird. it would have been evolution if 1000 yr back this bird used to have a very small tail and now have a very large one. A female is selecting out of many on the basis of a physical trait. This can not be the example of above given definition.

D. A type of moth near London was observed to change from a population consisting mostly of light-colored moths to a population of mostly dark-colored moths over a period of 50 years as a response to darkening of rocks and trees in the area due to soot and smoke from London factories. ---- Evaluation impacted for sure. Let see it with an example. Let say 5000 yrs ago a chameleon dont need to change colour, but with change in environment, it adopt this thing some how. Hope you see how two situations are similar. and this one is for sure an example of this theory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [1]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
I chose A over D since D explains a situation in which a variant survived because it was best suited to. Dark colored ones were more suited, so they survived and bred more than the other variant and therefore we have more dark colored moths now. It does not explain how "survival of the most fitted one" was challenged or was insufficient.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 937 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, one of the foundational concepts of modern biology, is often summed up by the phrase, "survival of the fittest." Many people interpret this phrase to mean that evolution always favors the organism that is best suited to survive in its environment, but this narrow interpretation is actually insufficient to explain many phenomena observed in nature.

Understand:
- evolution theory suggests that the evolution favours those that are well suited/adapted to the challenges right now or the ones expected in future.
- author's point: but there are certain phenomenons where the theory doesn't really explain the evolution. An evolution which actually had nothing to do with survival per se. But due to some other reason.

Which of the following, if documented in a scientifically valid way, is most likely to be an example of the phenomena mentioned above?
- we have to find such a situation in which the evolution was not because of adaptability or survival but because of certain other reason.

A. Studies have shown that a type of male flycatcher (a bird) with an extra-long tail is more desirable to females as a mate than flycatchers with shorter tails, even though the longer tail hinders the bird's flying ability and makes it more vulnerable to predation.
- this option tells us that females selected a mate that had certain traits compared to others... Now this actually exemplifies the survival or fitness aspect. If the females are actually selecting the supposedly weaker ones (in certain aspects) then the mates might actually be genetically stronger !! This is in line with evolution theory.

B. It has been documented among whales, birds, and terrestrial mammals that colder temperatures encourage the development of larger animals, because larger animals have a lower surface-to-volume ratio and are therefore better able to conserve heat.
- evolution theory

C. Farm animals bred by humans are generally larger, slower, and less intelligent than their wild ancestors.
- no relevance

D. A type of moth near London was observed to change from a population consisting mostly of light-colored moths to a population of mostly dark-colored moths over a period of 50 years as a response to darkening of rocks and trees in the area due to soot and smoke from London factories.
-this option tells us that there was A change not due to survival instincts but due to changes that the organisms had gone through because of an external source ,which had nothing to do with survival...

E. Male lions fight for control of prides, and thereby the capacity to reproduce, even though these fights can end in the death or maiming of the loser.
- evolution theory

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
Send PM
Kudos
The question asks which option is more appropriate 'if documented in a scientifically valid way'.

Both options A and E relate to selection rather than 'survival of the fittest' in a scientific way.
Option A states females select the ones with the longer tail - (The flycatcher birds haven't evolved or in some sort of way changed their tails )
Option E states that the fight which the lions go through 'CAN' end in a death or injury (not that it will always) - this doesn't show any way of evolution (this is just their selectivity criteria)
Option D backs it up with the fact that the population of the 'light colored moths' have actually reduced and hence the population consists more of the 'Dark colored moths' because it is the environment due to which they have to adapt and change their respective characteristics (in this is case the color)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Wonderwoman31 wrote:

It specifically talks about the environment that a creature adapts to, mating is an instinct and A emphasises on the instinct. From "A" we can also derive that there is no survival threat to birds with shorter tails, they just don't get mates. Whereas, if the cause of moths becoming darker (as suggested in option D), is well documented and it's survival is attributed to darkening of trees and rocks then that becomes the perfect example for "survival of the fittest" or "adapting to your environment" because the environment itself has changed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GPA: 4
Send PM
Naingain wrote:
Wonderwoman31 wrote:

It specifically talks about the environment that a creature adapts to, mating is an instinct and A emphasises on the instinct. From "A" we can also derive that there is no survival threat to birds with shorter tails, they just don't get mates. Whereas, if the cause of moths becoming darker (as suggested in option D), is well documented and it's survival is attributed to darkening of trees and rocks then that becomes the perfect example for "survival of the fittest" or "adapting to your environment" because the environment itself has changed.

thanks for the explanation. that helped
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Charles Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection, one of the [#permalink]
Hello expert,
I think D indeed proves “survival of the fittest” because the moth changes its color to well fit its environment and camouflage to protect itself from the predators. So why D is correct?
Also, I went with C and could you help to explain C? Thanks.

Originally posted by Mavisdu1017 on 28 Mar 2022, 00:09.
Last edited by Mavisdu1017 on 29 Mar 2022, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
I have narrowed the answer to A and D.

"Many people interpret this sentence to mean that evolution always favours the organism best adapted to survive in its environment, but this narrow interpretation is actually insufficient to explain many phenomena observed in nature."

For (A), this seems to me to fit the part some phenomena are not the best adapted to survive in the environment, however, it doesn't really say anything about evolution, we don't know if the long-tailed trait is growing or dying.

Hence, in my opinion (D) is the better option to say that evolution is influenced by the environment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
A. Studies have shown that a type of male flycatcher (a bird) with an extra-long tail is more desirable to females as a mate than flycatchers with shorter tails, even though the longer tail hinders the bird's flying ability and makes it more vulnerable to predation - No correlation between adaptive ability and evolution instead it is the opposite

B. It has been documented among whales, birds, and terrestrial mammals that colder temperatures encourage the development of larger animals, because larger animals have a lower surface-to-volume ratio and are therefore better able to conserve heat.- Very similar to A

C. Farm animals bred by humans are generally larger, slower, and less intelligent than their wild ancestors.(wrong)

D. A type of moth near London was observed to change from a population consisting mostly of light-colored moths to a population of mostly dark-colored moths over a period of 50 years as a response to darkening of rocks and trees in the area due to soot and smoke from London factories- Talks about adaptive ability and evolution (correct)

E. Male lions fight for control of prides, and thereby the capacity to reproduce, even though these fights can end in the death or maiming of the loser. - Not related
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
GMATNinja could you help us elaborate on this

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts