GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cox MBA Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Cox MBA Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 08:50
anybody here admitted to Fast-Track MBA... any whatsapp group for that?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GRE 1: Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Real Estate)
Cox MBA Class of 2020  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jan 2018, 13:16
got interview invite for round 3. really excited

Originally posted by saadim on 05 Jan 2018, 14:07.
Last edited by saadim on 07 Jan 2018, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 11:39
Anyone applied for R3 ?
Intern
Intern
B
GRE 1: Q167 V155
GPA: 3.47
WE: Consulting (Other)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 23:40
saadim wrote:
got interview invite for round 3. really excited

Hi

When did you submit your application? Round 3 deadline is 8th Jan.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 11:40
I submitted my application on 27 December 2017 for round 3. The university of connecticut has a stem designated option if you take one of the three concentrations such as finance, marketing or business analytics.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 11:44
saadim wrote:
I submitted my application on 27 December 2017 for round 3. The university of connecticut has a stem designated option if you take one of the three concentrations such as finance, marketing or business analytics.

YES It is certainly one of the schools.

But it is Top 70!!
The employment reports are VERY BAD!

I am in touch with an alumni and he said the school is BAD!

Being an International why on earth would someone go out of Top 50!

MBA is a HUGE INVESTMENT. DO your research. Talk the Internationals out there. They will tell you better.

Choose Wisely!

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 12:17
The only thing going for it is STEM degree and I agree the brand is weak but as far as the jobs are concerned it is a deep game. The employers are more worried about your visa status instead of the rankings or school name. Also the rankings can change each year apart from harvard stanford or wharton nobody else is safe. Also with Trump administration in place the need for stem graduates is going to increase in near future if he restricts h1b visas for ex. Hence 3 years is a golden egg in these time. Otherwise why not go to top uk Business school. Great opportunities and more jobs there than USA for people as the europe and uk is hit by recession. In the near future the rankings are going to be meaningless unless your goal is to go into ib or consulting which mine are not at this moment. Wherever you go you have to network like hell as you are international. Connecticut being near to new york is going to be critical as it a world giant as far as jobs are concerned. Regarding the tuition fee, I am only going if the scholarship is on the table otherwise forget top 10 let top 70 in these uncertain times.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 13:03
Also to add another point the employment stats for booth yale Kellogg and mendoza are not that great either and some alumni are also unhappy with these schools. Know of certain people who have come back after spending millions and without any jobs despite going to the best. So at the end of the day its only about networking networking and adding those 3 letters to your cv.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 14:05
saadim wrote:
Also to add another point the employment stats for booth yale Kellogg and mendoza are not that great either and some alumni are also unhappy with these schools. Know of certain people who have come back after spending millions and without any jobs despite going to the best. So at the end of the day its only about networking networking and adding those 3 letters to your cv.

This statement is total and complete nonsense.
Atleast for me its not about adding "three letters" to my CV. Its about the global immersion. Its about studying at the campuses where the greats of the world have. Its about the vibe. Its about that freaking dream job that ain't possible if I stay in Asia.Its about so much more.

Man, If you think this way -> You have literally wasted thousands of dollars over filling out applications for getting "three letters" on your CV. You could have easily got that from any low level bootless Indian B-school.

Any please NEVER compare KELLOGG/MENDOZA/YALE to Cox!!
NEVER!!

All the best
Stone Cold

Attachments

giphy.gif
giphy.gif [ 4.5 MiB | Viewed 879 times ]

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 14:20
Nobody is comparing yale etc to cox. Agreed that the top schools have great environment cohort. But the point of the MBA should be to prepare you for post MBA role instead of great academic experience or culture vibe. Why spend thousands or dollars to get into debt one can do an msc with very less than what mba costs and still get all the facilities alumni etc. Not all top candidates understand business as can be seen from your view. Business is not done like this. Rankings is based on gmat, gpa, salaries etc etc. A lot of variables come into play when combining the rankings. Rotterdam greater than oxford in the rankings does that mean it is the best european school. Its all crap to buy your dollars.
Also not from india so have no idea about indian b schools.
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 08:27
saadim wrote:
Nobody is comparing yale etc to cox. Agreed that the top schools have great environment cohort. But the point of the MBA should be to prepare you for post MBA role instead of great academic experience or culture vibe. Why spend thousands or dollars to get into debt one can do an msc with very less than what mba costs and still get all the facilities alumni etc. Not all top candidates understand business as can be seen from your view. Business is not done like this. Rankings is based on gmat, gpa, salaries etc etc. A lot of variables come into play when combining the rankings. Rotterdam greater than oxford in the rankings does that mean it is the best european school. Its all crap to buy your dollars.
Also not from india so have no idea about indian b schools.

I guess different people want different things.
With all due respect, I can never go to a school whose students share your ideas. I want the culture/social life/environment/academic rigour.

Rotterdam is no Oxford.
Cox is no Yale.

I rest my case. I will let people analyse our posts and decide. :cool:

All the best
Stone Cold

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 09:43
saadim wrote:

Would you let go of top 10 for a scholarship at Cox? There will be unhappy people everywhere, even at Harvard. If they are not able to find a job in the US, I am sure those schools will provide some great opportunities in his/her home country.
Also, who is spending millions for MBA? I think you got it wrong if you really think MBA is about those three letter on your resume. Why not do it in your home country for those three letters?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 10:10
No you misunderstand my point I am talking about the ranking and that is it overrated. As far as schools such as cox are concerned my point was one can achieve greatness even with these programs. Its all about networking no matter where you go. Schools is not a job factory and would do so far for you. Do you think bill gates or donald trump went to harvard. No they didnt but look at their net worth. In business its all about contacts not university names. But I guess if you will do actual business.one day you will understand my point. I also used to think like you couple of years back but the reality is.far differenet. Also there are good people in lower ranked programs as well with the facilities so they are not useless

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 10:20
saadim wrote:
No you misunderstand my point I am talking about the ranking and that is it overrated. As far as schools such as cox are concerned my point was one can achieve greatness even with these programs. Its all about networking no matter where you go. Schools is not a job factory and would do so far for you.Do you think bill gates or donald trump went to harvard. No they didnt but look at their net worth. In business its all about contacts not university names. But I guess if you will do actual business.one day you will understand my point. I also used to think like you couple of years back but the reality is.far differenet. Also there are good people in lower ranked programs as well with the facilities so they are not useless

Fun fact ->

Bill gates did attend Harvard
Donald trump did attend Wharton.

Best
Stone Cold

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 10:35
Yeah and gates was a drop out so according to you he is an utter failure and trump never attended an mba again my point stands maybe you want an msc and not an mba think about your career goals first

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 10:41
saadim wrote:
Yeah and gates was a drop out so according to you he is an utter failure and trump never attended an mba again my point stands maybe you want an msc and not an mba think about your career goals first

Lol.
To get the context -> Please read my post again. And read yours.

Thanks.

P.S -> I will refrain from extending this further. I wish all the best in this application journey.

Best
Stone Cold

Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:29
saadim wrote:
No you misunderstand my point I am talking about the ranking and that is it overrated. As far as schools such as cox are concerned my point was one can achieve greatness even with these programs. Its all about networking no matter where you go. Schools is not a job factory and would do so far for you. Do you think bill gates or donald trump went to harvard. No they didnt but look at their net worth. In business its all about contacts not university names. But I guess if you will do actual business.one day you will understand my point. I also used to think like you couple of years back but the reality is.far differenet. Also there are good people in lower ranked programs as well with the facilities so they are not useless

Yes, you can achieve great things even by going to lower ranked programs. No one in their right mind would deny that. But, why is it that more students at Kellogg/Booth end up getting their dream job than students at Cox?
For example, you will have close to zero chance of getting recruited at MBB even if you network aggressively whereas at Kellogg/Booth you will have good chances of at least getting an interview at one of those firms.
What made you say that employment stats at Kellogg are not great?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:42
sveniga4 wrote:
saadim wrote:

Yes, you can achieve great things even by going to lower ranked programs. No one in their right mind would deny that. But, why is it that more students at Kellogg/Booth end up getting their dream job than students at Cox?
For example, you will have close to zero chance of getting recruited at MBB even if you network aggressively whereas at Kellogg/Booth you will have good chances of at least getting an interview at one of those firms.

Been reading the last few posts and wanted to chime in.

SMU/COX is excellent if you want to stay in Dallas. SMU > TCU in reputation. COX > Neeley in post-grad salaries for those who stay in Texas. SMU also has a larger class which allows more recruiters to come to campus which leads to more people getting interviewed at big firms.

If you want to work in NY, COX isn't for you. If you want to work in Dallas, Cox will beat a lot of schools ranked between 9-30 out of the state.

Yale, Harvard, MIT, Wharton, and Stanford degrees will all travel to texas with no problem. Stern, Kellogg and others in that area don't.

McCombs is the best in Texas with Rice/Jones and SMU/Cox fighting for second depending on the career path you want.

If you are international and don't want to work in Texas, I would avoid Cox. Find a school with a degree that travels well instead.

As a US student who wants to live in Dallas after graduation, I don't see why I couldn't work for a Bain, BCG, Goldman, or any other big firm with a degree from Cox.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:56
Employment report shows that BCG and Brain did not hire any students at Cox.
http://www.smu.edu/Cox/FutureStudents/M ... Management
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 12:07
sveniga4 wrote:
Employment report shows that BCG and Brain did not hire any students at Cox.
http://www.smu.edu/Cox/FutureStudents/M ... Management

They also haven't met me yet.

Also, McKinsey & Co., Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, and PwC all do. Why would BCG and Bain not at least be open to looking at somewhere where all their competitors recruit from?

My point was: If you deserve to be a consultant in Dallas, Cox can get you a position in as a big or as small of a firm as you want.
Re: Cox MBA Class of 2020 &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jan 2018, 12:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 83 posts ] 

Cox MBA Class of 2020

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap