Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [15]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Re: A teacher in an English literature class analyzed answers given by her [#permalink]
sobby wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
A teacher in an English literature class analyzed answers given by her students on
a written test and concluded that their answers for a given essay were right, on
average, 60 percent of the time.

The conclusion above depends on the presumption that_________________.

(A) literature classes can teach students successfully even if they are only right
a fraction of the time.
(B) teachers that analyze the success of their students are just as good teachers
as those that don’t.
(C) teachers consistently teaching literature must be careful in giving essay tests
to avoid the presumption that their point of view is always correct.
(D) answers to essays on a literature exam are just as likely to be correct as they
are to be incorrect.
(E) it is possible to classify an answer to an essay question as being either right
or wrong.

Hit Kudos if you like the question. :)
[spoiler=]Hi Can you please tell me difference between D and E . ?
[/spoiler]

Between D and E
My reasoning:
D is telling that an answer can be correct or incorrect that is a kind of general assumption .Here the important point is that whether a teacher can correctly classify the essay.As he/ she claimed that 60% essay are correct .E is the missing link here .It is possible to classify an essay.

So D is the OA?

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: A teacher in an English literature class analyzed answers given by her [#permalink]
valardohaeris wrote:
sobby wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
A teacher in an English literature class analyzed answers given by her students on
a written test and concluded that their answers for a given essay were right, on

(A) literature classes can teach students successfully even if they are only right
a fraction of the time.
(B) teachers that analyze the success of their students are just as good teachers
as those that don’t.
(C) teachers consistently teaching literature must be careful in giving essay tests
(D) answers to essays on a literature exam are just as likely to be correct as they
are to be incorrect.
(E) it is possible to classify an answer to an essay question as being either right
or wrong.

[/spoiler]

Between D and E
My reasoning:
D is telling that an answer can be correct or incorrect that is a kind of general assumption .Here the important point is that whether a teacher can correctly classify the essay.As he/ she claimed that 60% essay are correct .E is the missing link here .It is possible to classify an essay.

So D is the OA?

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

E.check colored part.........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
sobby wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

a fraction of the time.
as those that don’t.
are to be incorrect.
or wrong.

[/spoiler]

Between D and E
My reasoning:

i think D is saying just opposite of E.
IF D is true then conclusion falls apart. as any question that can be true as correct or incorrect at the same time (relative) then it can't be classified as right or wrong.
but we have to find an answer if that's negated, then only conclusion fall apart.

I think that's why D is wrong.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Nightmare007 wrote:
A teacher in an English literature class analyzed answers given by her students on a written test and concluded that their answers for a given essay were right, on average, 60 percent of the time.

(A) literature classes can teach students successfully even if they are only right a fraction of the time.
(B) teachers that analyze the success of their students are just as good teachers as those that don’t.
(C) teachers consistently teaching literature must be careful in giving essay tests to avoid the presumption that their point of view is always correct.
(D) answers to essays on a literature exam are just as likely to be correct as they are to be incorrect.
(E) it is possible to classify an answer to an essay question as being either right or wrong.

Negate E and the conclusion falls apart - It is not possible to classify an answer to an essay question as being either right or wrong .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The Question posted above is really a Manhattan Prep Question ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos