GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

D01-29

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:55) correct 47% (01:34) wrong based on 209 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Mac can finish a job in \(M\) days and Jack can finish the same job in \(J\) days. After working together for \(T\) days, Mac left and Jack alone worked to complete the remaining work in \(R\) days. If Mac and Jack completed an equal amount of work, how many days would have it taken Jack to complete the entire job working alone?

(1) \(M = 20\) days

(2) \(R = 10\) days

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
Re D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:12
Official Solution:

Mac can finish the job in \(M\) days: the rate of Mac is \(\frac{1}{M}\) job/day;

Jack can finish the job in \(J\) days: the rate of Jack is \(\frac{1}{J}\) job/day;

After working together for \(T\) days, Mac left and Jack alone worked to complete the remaining work in \(R\) days, hence Mac worked for \(T\) days only and did \(\frac{T}{M}\) part of the job while Jack worked for \(T+R\) days and did \(\frac{T+R}{J}\) part of the job;

Since Mac and Jack completed an equal amount of work (so half of the job each) then \(\frac{T}{M}=\frac{1}{2}\) and \(\frac{T+R}{J}=\frac{1}{2}\). So, \(T=\frac{M}{2}\) and \(T=\frac{J}{2}-R\), therefore \(\frac{M}{2}=\frac{J}{2}-R\), which gives \(J=M+2R\).

(1) \(M = 20\) days. Not sufficient, we still need the value of \(R\).

(2) \(R = 10\) days. Not sufficient, we still need the value of \(M\).

(1)+(2) \(J=M+2R=20+2*10=40\). Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Re: D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 15:00
Hi Bunuel -

What was your thought process in not setting T/M = 1/2 and T+R/J = 1/2 equal to each other? That is, T/M = T+R/J? I was stuck after I did such (algebraic mess, and leads you to the wrong conclusion). Would be great to learn your thought process.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 04:19
One option is to go by options and see check with the values.

It gives an idea that both values are required to find out the value of J.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 22:10
mystseen wrote:
Hi Bunuel -

What was your thought process in not setting T/M = 1/2 and T+R/J = 1/2 equal to each other? That is, T/M = T+R/J? I was stuck after I did such (algebraic mess, and leads you to the wrong conclusion). Would be great to learn your thought process.

Here the idea is to find the value of 'J'. Therefore, the focus should be to eliminate the extra variables where ever you can. I was also stuck with the same bit as you did, but i realized that one can eliminate the variable 'T' by substituting the variable 'T' in the other equation (Jack's equation) which kinda did the trick as I was left with an equation with only M, R and J.
Hope this helps a little bit.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 10:02
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Re D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 03:20
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 03:29
This is definitely a high quality question. I solve it using a number of variable approach and i want to ask to some math expert whether it is correct.

===R================T===========W
*==(1/m)+(1/t)=========t==========(t/m)+(t/j) => in time = t M&J working together complete \((t/m)+(t/j)\)

**==1/j===========((mj/m+j-t)====== 1-((t/m)+(t/j)) J works at his constant rate \(1/j\) for the remaining time which is equal to \(((1/m)+(1/j))- t\)

We are asked to find j:
from ** we can multiply R*T=W and find a single equation in 3 unknowns therefore we need stat 1 and stat 2 which gives us 2 unknown to find the third one.
Is the process correct ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 05:43
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 20:22
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.51
Premium Member
D01-29  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 12:47
Maybe I don't understand this completely. I understand that T/M = (R+T)/J. If W is the total work done, then both of these equal W/2. Thus, it's clear that T/M=(R+T)/J=W/2.

How can you say that T/M=1/2, when you don't know how much work was done? Which part of this question allows us to say that W=1, thus T/M=(R+T)/J=1/2?? Ie, which part of the prompt restrict the variables such that we know W=1?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 06:39
brooklyndude wrote:
Maybe I don't understand this completely. I understand that T/M = (R+T)/J. If W is the total work done, then both of these equal W/2. Thus, it's clear that T/M=(R+T)/J=W/2.

How can you say that T/M=1/2, when you don't know how much work was done? Which part of this question allows us to say that W=1, thus T/M=(R+T)/J=1/2?? Ie, which part of the prompt restrict the variables such that we know W=1?

We consider the whole work to be done as 1 unit of work or as 100% of the work. So, T/M=1/2 means that Mac completed half (50%) of the work whatever this work is.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 12:00
I think this is a high quality question and l agree with the explanation
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 11:55
Basic question regarding ratios since my ratios grip is weak

If instead of saying that work was equal, the question had said, Mac did 30% of the work that Jack did,

this would mean Mac work/ Jack work = 3/ 10

In case of above ratio, it would be correct to say that Mac did 3/ 13 and Jack did 10/13 work right?

Hence T/M = 3/ 13 right?

Just want to solidify my grip on ratios, that is why asking
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:36
RahulS90 wrote:
Basic question regarding ratios since my ratios grip is weak

If instead of saying that work was equal, the question had said, Mac did 30% of the work that Jack did,

this would mean Mac work/ Jack work = 3/ 10

In case of above ratio, it would be correct to say that Mac did 3/ 13 and Jack did 10/13 work right?

Hence T/M = 3/ 13 right?
Just want to solidify my grip on ratios, that is why asking

Yes, that's correct. What do you denote by T and M in highlighted part?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 19:06
When you say "T/M" part of the job...why are we putting time over rate? W=RT...so I don't understand why we are putting the number of days, T (time), over the rate (M).

Same thing for the other equation.

Thank you
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 00:48
leonsandcastle332 wrote:
When you say "T/M" part of the job...why are we putting time over rate? W=RT...so I don't understand why we are putting the number of days, T (time), over the rate (M).

Same thing for the other equation.

Thank you

Both M and T denote time:
Mac can finish the job in M days (the rate is 1/M, so job over time);
Mac worked for T days.

In T days Mac does T/M part of the job.

Consider this: say Mac needs 2 days to do the job. In 1 day he does 1/2 part of the job.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 18:30
I think I'm almost there, but not quite there.

We are setting Time to a value...so we're not really using the W=RT formula with this problem?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 23:54
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 18:38
Bunuel wrote:
leonsandcastle332 wrote:
I think I'm almost there, but not quite there.

We are setting Time to a value...so we're not really using the W=RT formula with this problem?

We are solving using ratios of work done.

Don't we need a variable for rate in this ratio?
Re: D01-29 &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 18:38

D01-29

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap