It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133076 [0], given: 12403

[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2014, 01:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:10) correct 33% (01:10) wrong based on 800 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is d < 1?

(1) d = y - [y]
(2) [d]= 0

Data Sufficiency
Question: 102
Category: Algebra Operations with real numbers
Page: 160
Difficulty: 650

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133076 [2], given: 12403

Re: [y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2014, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SOLUTION

Some function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Question: is \(d<1\)?

(1) d = y - [y] --> if y is an integer then \([y]=y\) and \(d=y-[y]=0<1\), if y is not an integer [y] is nearest integer less than y and still \(d=y-[y]<1\) (for example: \(y=1.5\) --> \(d=1.5-[1.5]=1.5-1=0.5<1\) or \(y=-1.5\) --> \(d=-1.5-[-1.5]=-1.5-(-2)=0.5<1\) ). Sufficient.

(2) [d] = 0 --> \(0\leq{d}<1\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice:
if-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equal-to-x-132223.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
is-x-an-odd-integer-1-x-2-2x-99856.html
for-all-z-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-110561.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
if-is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-what-144277.html
how-x-become-fraction-if-its-been-said-an-integer-94687.html
awkward-ds-105416.html
help-data-sufficiency-equation-and-inequalities-99856.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-the-real-n-154006.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-z-162078.html
if-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equal-to-x-132223.html
is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-the-real-n-154006.html
for-all-z-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equ-167640.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Kudos [?]: 133076 [2], given: 12403

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 481 [1], given: 13

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2014, 04:00
This post received
KUDOS

(1) d = y - [y]

if y is an integer than y-[y]=0, if y is non-integer say 4.9 then y-[y]= 4.9-4= .9 in both of these cases d is less than 1 hence sufficient
(2) [d]= 0

[d]=0 means 0<= d< 1. hence sufficient

therefor D

Kudos [?]: 481 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 108 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2014, 23:58
This post received
KUDOS
Option D.
From S1:d=y-[y]
For any value of non-integral y on no. line,y-[y]=0.1,0.2,0.3,...,0.9=d<1
For eg. y=5.9;[y]=5 y-[y]=0.9=d<1
And if y=-5.9;[y]=-6 y-[y]=-5.9 -(-6);d=0.1<1
And for any integral y,y=[y] => [d=0<1].Suff.

From S2:[d]=0
means d=0,0.1,0.2,0.3,...,0.9 only.All these vales are less than 1
Sufficient.

Kudos [?]: 108 [1], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 17:29
I have a question on this. [d] is not defined in the question stem, only [y] is. Now, I understand how one can infer that statement 2 is sufficient based on the definition of [y] given.

However, I would also not be surprised if the OG solution said that statement 2 is insufficient is not defined because [d] was not defined in the question stem. How should I be thinking about such cases? Thank you.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 17:59
mattdnb wrote:
I have a question on this. [d] is not defined in the question stem, only [y] is. Now, I understand how one can infer that statement 2 is sufficient based on the definition of [y] given.

However, I would also not be surprised if the OG solution said that statement 2 is insufficient is not defined because [d] was not defined in the question stem. How should I be thinking about such cases? Thank you.

The question does not define [y], it defines function denoted as [], which rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer.

Check other function questions in our Special Questions Directory:

Operations/functions defining algebraic/arithmetic expressions
Symbols Representing Arithmetic Operation
Rounding Functions
Various Functions

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 350 [1], given: 10

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

(1) d = y - [y]
(2) [d]= 0

Any number x can be written in the form of I + f
Here I is the integral part or [x], example: 1 , 2, 3 etc.
and f is the fractional part: 0.1, 0.2, 0.001 etc.

Given: [y] is the integral part of a number
Required: Is d < 1

Statement 1: d = y - [y]
We can say y = I + f
Where I = [y]
So, y -[y] means the fractional part of a number.
This would always be between 0 and 1

SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: [d]= 0
The integral part of a number is ) means number is greated than 0 and less than 1.

SUFFICIENT

Option D

Reach out to us at bondwithus@gmatify.com

Kudos [?]: 350 [1], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 04:01
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Some function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

(1) d = y - [y] --> if y is an integer then \([y]=y\) and \(d=y-[y]=0<1\), if y is not an integer [y] is nearest integer less than y and still \(d=y-[y]<1\) (for example: \(y=1.5\) --> \(d=1.5-[1.5]=1.5-1=0.5<1\) or \(y=-1.5\) --> \(d=-1.5-[-1.5]=-1.5-(-2)=0.5<1\) ). Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

Why we are not considering Y = an integer as well? i.e. y=5,6,7 etc...

Question stem says: [y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y.

If I am not wrong, the above question stem doesn't imply that Y should only take fractional forms such as: 1.5, -1.5 etc... and y is not an integer.

So I took y=5 so in 1 d = y - [y], d = 0 (5-5=0), or 1 (5-4=1) and therefore the statement is insufficient.

Where exactly I am thinking wrong. Help please.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 04:55
gauraku wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Hope it helps.

If I am not wrong, the above question stem doesn't imply that Y should only take fractional forms such as: 1.5, -1.5 etc... and y is not an integer.

So I took y=5 so in 1 d = y - [y], d = 0 (5-5=0), or 1 (5-4=1) and therefore the statement is insufficient.

Please re-read the explanation. We are NOT considering y as fraction only.

If y = 5, then d = y - [y] = 5 - 5 = 0 < 1. HOW can it be 1?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 19:53
Bunuel wrote:
gauraku wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Hope it helps.

Statement says that [Y] denotes either the greatest integer less than or equal to y. So if y =5, [Y] = either 5 (equal to y) or 4 (greatest integer less than y) So d will be equal to either 5-5 =0 or 5-4=1.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 02:21
gauraku wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gauraku wrote:

Statement says that [Y] denotes either the greatest integer less than or equal to y. So if y =5, [Y] = either 5 (equal to y) or 4 (greatest integer less than y) So d will be equal to either 5-5 =0 or 5-4=1.

You misunderstood the question. Please re-read the solutions above and follow the links provided.

[y] can take only one value, which will be the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Check more questions in Rounding Functions Questions.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 05:29
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I got it now and made a note of it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 18:14
Bunuel wrote:

[y] can take only one value, which will be the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

I shared a similar confusion as Garauku; it saying "greatest integer less than or equal to" seemed to me it was saying any integer <= y, which could be as garauku suggested y = 5 [y] = 5, 4, etc. How would it have been phrased if this was the intended meaning rather than that the function rounds down?

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 78

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1775 [0], given: 794

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 18:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
redfield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I shared a similar confusion as Garauku; it saying "greatest integer less than or equal to" seemed to me it was saying any integer <= y, which could be as garauku suggested y = 5 [y] = 5, 4, etc. How would it have been phrased if this was the intended meaning rather than that the function rounds down?

Couple of points:

1. This is an official question, so do not question the OA or the language, it will only be a waste of time and energy.

2. The question as such is completely clear. If y=5, then [y] can only be = 5 and NOT 4 as you need the GREATEST integer less or equal to y. What this means is that you must take the greatest integer of <y or =y to be that particular integer. There is no ambiguity here.

For y=1.5, [y] = 1, for y=4.1, [y]=4 etc.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 1775 [0], given: 794

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 07:27
Is it wrong to assume a non-fraction as the value of y, say y=5 & [y] will be 4 ?

Pls clarify as the answer choice will change in this case...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 10

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 07:39
vikasx wrote:
Is it wrong to assume a non-fraction as the value of y, say y=5 & [y] will be 4 ?

Pls clarify as the answer choice will change in this case...

Actually this is clarified several times above.

Function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Thus if y = 5, then [5] = 5, because 5 is the greatest integer less than or equal to 5.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 00:38
how can we consider numbers while doing this problem??

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Re: [y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2017, 00:38

[y] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to y. Is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap