Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset [#permalink]
I don't get why B should be incorrect.

Even though the metric system of measurement is known to be unambiguously superior, some countries do not adopt it.

This sentence is known to be factually correct. In my head I had taken the same line of reason. Please help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi anurag2402,

Option B leads to "even though DST has been shown to be ~not useful, some countries do not observe it". The contrast introduced by even though doesn't make any sense here. It would work if we were looking at something useful (like the metric system!), but this sentence says that DST is not useful.

Acceptable alternatives:
a. Even though DST has been shown to be ~useful, some countries do not observe it.
b. Because DST has been shown to be ~not useful, some countries do not observe it.

anurag2402 wrote:
Even though the metric system of measurement is known to be unambiguously superior, some countries do not adopt it.
So true! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1687
Send PM
Re: Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset [#permalink]
Can since be used in place of because? As per my understanding, since is a time marker and is only used to show time references. It cannot be used to show causality. This was the reason I eliminated C.

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja AjiteshArun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ssj30 wrote:
Can since be used in place of because? As per my understanding, since is a time marker and is only used to show time references. It cannot be used to show causality. This was the reason I eliminated C.

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

VeritasKarishma generis GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Hi Ssj30,

Since is commonly used in English to mean "because". Here is an official question that does the same thing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Don't we use Since with Time such as SINCE 1990,
Isn't BECAUSE will be the right fit in option C?

Also, can somebody explain the structure of the sentence. I thought if we remove anything between two dashes/commas, it will still hold the same meaning, but if I remove the part, meaning gets bit weird.

Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, have been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward—some countries do not observe it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Soham68 wrote:
Don't we use Since with Time such as SINCE 1990,
Isn't BECAUSE will be the right fit in option C?

Hi Soham68,

Since can be used to introduce the reason for something. You may want to go through this post.

Soham68 wrote:
Also, can somebody explain the structure of the sentence. I thought if we remove anything between two dashes/commas, it will still hold the same meaning, but if I remove the part, meaning gets bit weird.

We can't expect to be able to do that unless there are a lot of redundant elements in the sentence. We can remove modifiers between two commas to check the structure of the rest of the sentence, but it's very unlikely that removing parts of the sentence will not affect the sentence in some way.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Soham68 wrote:

Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, have been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward—some countries do not observe it.

The original sentence (that you quote) has a weird meaning anyway. The "DESPITE" does not fit this sentence. If the impact is neutral at best, we do not expect anyone to observe daylight savings time. So we need a cause-and-effect transition such as "SINCE" or "BECAUSE", not a contrast.

The meaning does not get weird if we remove the portion between the dashes.
We are told that the impact is 'neutral at best'. After that, the portion between dashes gives us an example of possible negative impact -- research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward.
The sentence works even without the example. The meaning does not change if the example is removed.

Hope this helps!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM

A - Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, have been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it may actually increase
The subject of the first clause (subordinating clause) is 'impact', which is a singular noun. so we need a singular verb but this option has a plural verb 'have'. Moreover usage of 'despite' is wrong as the sentence doesn't show a contrast.
B - Even though the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it actually increases
same issue that we saw in the first option. SVA problem
C - Since the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it actually increases
no SVA problem. pronoun 'it' refers to the subject in the first clause 'impact'. so no grammatical error. since is used to show a reason.so no meaning issues in the sentence.
D - Because the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral—at best, research indicates that it may actually result in an increase in
This sentence doesn't convey the meaning effectively. it should be 'research indicates that it actually increases' not research indicates that it may actually result in an increase in' GMAT prefers a verb over noun(VAN principle,verb,adjective,noun)
E - Because Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to have a neutral impact, at best—research indicates that it may actually result in a possible increase in
'may' and 'possible' conveys same idea, so redundant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V37
Send PM
KarishmaB

Can you please clarify if the "it" refers to "DST" or "the impact". To my knowledge, "it" should refer to "the impact" and "of DST" modifies "the impact".
But that won't make sense "Some countries do not observe the impact"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
toyesh30 wrote:
KarishmaB

Can you please clarify if the "it" refers to "DST" or "the impact". To my knowledge, "it" should refer to "the impact" and "of DST" modifies "the impact".
But that won't make sense "Some countries do not observe the impact"

Logically, 'it' refers to DST. It cannot refer to the impact hence we have no ambiguity here. A problem arises when 'it' can logically refer to either and the statement becomes ambiguous.

A sentence I like to give often to explain this is:

Take the pizza out of the box and throw it before the garbage gets collected.

What does 'it' refer to? Likely the box but we could be talking about the pizza too (if the pizza has gone bad and the box is actually a nice glass case in which we were going to serve it).
The point is that here the sentence is ambiguous because the directions are not clear. But in our original question, there is no doubt on what the antecedent of 'it' is.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset [#permalink]
generis egmat GMATNinja KarishmaB im actually not clear on this sentence as idk how the fact that the research indicating that it leads to accidents an example of the fact that DST is neutral. Also, how is there a reasoning drawn with the rest of the sentence when we are shown the research is negative- why would they not observe it if it is negaive impact? If the impact is negative oviously one should track it avigutman
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
generis egmat GMATNinja KarishmaB im actually not clear on this sentence as idk how the fact that the research indicating that it leads to accidents an example of the fact that DST is neutral. Also, how is there a reasoning drawn with the rest of the sentence when we are shown the research is negative- why would they not observe it if it is negaive impact? If the impact is negative oviously one should track it avigutman

The meaning of 'observe it' here is 'follow it'. That is, some countries do not follow it; they do not set their clocks forward by an hour. Observe doesn't mean 'watch.' It doesn't make sense to say that we should watch DST. We do not observe DST means we do not use it in our country. We do not set our clocks forward by an hour in summers.

The sentence says the impact is neutral, at best (which means that there are indications of some negative impact). The aside given "research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward" is the negative impact.
So it says that the impact is neutral at best - it could be slightly negative.

Look at the whole sentence to understand each word in context.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Tech)
Send PM
Could someone help explain me why "research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward" is NOT a contradiction of "the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral", then B with "Even though" is wrong?

I have read all the comments and still haven't got it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.74
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
goldeno wrote:
Can anyone explain why D is wrong?
The positioning of at best is not very good in option D.

C ...the impact of Daylight Saving Time... has been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it actually increases...

D ... the impact of Daylight Saving Time... has been shown to be neutral—at best, research indicates that it may actually result in an increase in...

Option C says that the impact is neutral, at best. This is where we want the at best (close to the overall impact). Option D appears to tell us that at best, research indicates something. This makes it harder for the reader to connect the at best to DST, as it seems to (a) refer to something about the research itself or (b) say "at best, DST may actually result in an increase in the number of accidents".

The basic structure we're looking for is "its impact is neutral, at best, or (negative thing)". Option D gives us "its impact is neutral, or at best, (negative thing)".

Also, the may actually result in is slightly wordy.

Hello AjiteshArun,
Can the impact -> result in an increase in the number of accidents ?
I felt that DST may probably result in something but not the impact. Can you please help me understand the logical gap?

Also bb CrackverbalGMAT KarishmaB Kindly help
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RenB wrote:
I felt that DST may probably result in something but not the impact. Can you please help me understand the logical gap?

Hi RenB,

I don't see the logical gap. That is, I read the sentence as you did:

1. Since the impact of DST has been shown to be neutral—research indicates that it (DST) increases the number of car accidents—some countries don't observe it (DST).

Is there a reason you think it must refer to the impact of DST? Keep in mind that DST is singular.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RenB wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
goldeno wrote:
Can anyone explain why D is wrong?
The positioning of at best is not very good in option D.

C ...the impact of Daylight Saving Time... has been shown to be neutral, at best—research indicates that it actually increases...

D ... the impact of Daylight Saving Time... has been shown to be neutral—at best, research indicates that it may actually result in an increase in...

Option C says that the impact is neutral, at best. This is where we want the at best (close to the overall impact). Option D appears to tell us that at best, research indicates something. This makes it harder for the reader to connect the at best to DST, as it seems to (a) refer to something about the research itself or (b) say "at best, DST may actually result in an increase in the number of accidents".

The basic structure we're looking for is "its impact is neutral, at best, or (negative thing)". Option D gives us "its impact is neutral, or at best, (negative thing)".

Also, the may actually result in is slightly wordy.

Hello AjiteshArun,
Can the impact -> result in an increase in the number of accidents ?

Also bb CrackverbalGMAT KarishmaB Kindly help

'Impact of DST' IS the increase in the number of accidents. 'Impact' cannot RESULT in an increase. Think about it - what is the impact then that results in an increase?

'research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward' is a parenthetical expression separated from the sentence by hyphens. So it is not a part of the natural structure of the sentence hence we cannot apply any rules such as if 'it' acts as the subject of the clause then it should ideally refer to the subject of the previous clause etc.

The logical referent of 'it' is DST and we will go with that.
Also check: https://gmatclub.com/forum/despite-the- ... l#p3108692

It gives you an example of the kind of usage that is a problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I know many people have already responded to this post but I wanted to put everything together in a single response. Instead of having to go through each response.

This is honestly one of the trickier questions in SC because understanding the meaning at first glance takes a bit of time.

First, meaning clarity
The original sentence says that:
"Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, have been shown to be neutral, at best —research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward—some countries do not observe it.

If you're not careful like me you will think that this makes sense. But actually, you have to think that even if the impact is neutral at best why would countries follow it? Countries would abandon the practice altogether. You only practice something when it adds some benefit.
The sentence will make sense had it read:

"Despite the fact that the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, have been shown to be neutral, at best —research indicates that it may actually increase the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward—some countries do not still observe it.

So the first part of the sentence is a reason that some countries do not observe it. That's why you can eliminate A and B.
Option A also has a subject-verb agreement error. The impact of DST has not have.

Second, Redundancy
Option E :

E - Because Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to have a neutral impact, at best—research indicates that it may actually result in a possible increase in

The use of may and possible is redundant.

Third, Pair of dashes: Works exactly like how brackets work
Eg: The world's three most populous countries - China, India, and the United States - contribute to approximately 40 percent of the total human population.

Any information between the two dashes is removable. Between options C and D:

C - Since the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral, at best —research indicates that it actually increases the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward— some countries do not observe it.

D - Because the impact of Daylight Saving Time, at the onset of which clocks are set forward by an hour, has been shown to be neutral —at best, research indicates that it may actually result in an increase in the number of car accidents occurring on the Monday after the clocks spring forward— some countries do not observe it.

Option D changes the meaning of the sentence to say that at best research indicated that DST may actually result in an increase in car accidents, rather than saying the impact of DST has been neutral at best.

So eliminate D and choose C.

This is one of those questions that really test your ability to understand the meaning of the sentence and quickly be able to recognize the subtle but important changes in the construction.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts