GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Sep 2018, 23:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:04) correct 41% (01:12) wrong based on 659 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 billion in debts; at stake, should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, is the solvency of some of the world’s largest multinational banks.

(A) should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, is

(B) should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, are

(C) should they repudiate a significant number of these debts, are

(D) if there is a repudiation of a significant number of these debts, would be

(E) if a significant number of these debts will be repudiated, is

Originally posted by ugimba on 30 Mar 2009, 19:49.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 Sep 2018, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2010, 03:19
243. Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 billion in debts; at stake, should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, is the solvency of some of the world’s largest multinational banks.

Answer is A...
My Explanation:
First take - are Vs is....
Are is wrong as we are talking about the solvency of the multinational banks.... and this is singular...
Consider this... to understand this better.....
at stake [strike], should a significant number of these debts be repudiated,[/strike]is the solvency of some of the world’s largest multinational banks

Hence we have A , D, E left....
Second take - if Vs should
If is wrong here as we need to have 'then' with it... the idiom is If X then Y.. and not If X , Y... or If X, would be Y

Hence A is a clear winner!

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 03:39
The underlined portion is a parenthetical element, which is indeed a hypothetical subjunctive ; It actually means- If a number of these debts be repudiated – The text is a kind literary form of writing, just as we write, Had I not seen him, rather than, If I had not seen him. However, the real issue is that it is just an addendum to the core of the sentence. The actual subject of the clause in question is - the solvency - (of some of the world’s …) this is singular and the verb therefore is required to be singular, namely, -is-.

We have A and E using the right verb –is- and E falls by, because of wrongly using the future tense for the conditional clause.
Of course, there are also other errors in B, C, and D.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 04:56
A is the correct answer.

The first part of the sentence, before the semicolon can be eliminated, as it is not part of the subject.

The subject is 'solvency' and the verb is 'is'.

Now, referring to the technique in MGPREP SC Guidebook, if the verb precedes the subject (in this case, 'is' precedes 'solvency'), then FLIP the structure of the sentence to get the correct answer.

FLIP IT -> the 'solvency' of some of the world's largest multinational banks 'is' at stake, should a significant number of these debts be repudiated.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2012, 18:42
Why is D out, can some one please explain

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 09:04
In present conditional sentences, the conditionals will be in present tense, while the main sentence or the effect sentence will be in either simple present or future tense. The use of 'would be' is a wrong diction in the context. Hence D is wrong

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2012, 03:31
Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 billion in debts; at stake, should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, is the solvency of some of the world’s largest multinational banks.

(A) should a significant number of these debts be repudiated, is :)

we need a singular "is" to go with the singular "solvency" :(

we need a singular "is" to go with the singular "solvency" also I'm not sure if "they" refers to the nations or the banks :(

the 'if' structure is inappropriately used and requires a 'then' to follow. Also "would be" renders the rest of the sentence awkward :(

the "if" structure is "iffy" in this context :(
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 09:36
If i select b, there will be two simple sentence without any conjunction. Can you please make me clear about this.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 10:13
Priya15081 wrote:
If i select b, there will be two simple sentence without any conjunction. Can you please make me clear about this.

Hi Priya15081, B is incorrect because of the verb "are" at the end, which should go with the singular "solvency". Answer choice A looks exactly like B except for the correct verb "is" at the end, and is therefore correct vs answer choice B.

As for answer choice E, the tense doesn't work properly either. You need the subjunctive mood as this situation has not yet occurred and is only an option at this point. Answer choice A uses the subjunctive mood (should a significant number of these debts be repudiated ). A is correct all around.

P.S. Who knew what repudiated meant? That's a fancy word!

Hope this helps
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 00:05
here the subject is solvency hence options B&C are out. in If and then clauses, below rules should be followed.
If ( Present tense), then ( simple present or simple future) - based on the context.
Future tense - will or hypothetical verbs such as would never come in if clause.
source - E gmat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 03:50
ananthpatri wrote:

The solvency is the subject and "is' is the verb
no Sv error

SV error are is wrong
Same as B
Wrong use of conditional tense
same As D[/quote]

only A survive
Hence A

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2016, 02:51
How can answer choice 'b' be wrong.? A significant number of these debts construction is plural. I read that 'The number of' is singular.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 02:43
narendran1990 wrote:
How can answer choice 'b' be wrong.? A significant number of these debts construction is plural. I read that 'The number of' is singular.

The subject of the verb "is" is "the solvency ", which is singular. This is a case of subject-verb flip that may pose confusion sometimes. The basic structure is actually as follows:

The solvency (of some of the world’s largest multinational banks) is at stake.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V32
GRE 1: Q159 V151

GRE 2: Q159 V153
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 02:49
sayantanc2k : Thank you for the reply. In most of the SC questions, the subject comes at the beginning, hence identifying the verb becomes easier. But in questions such as these, how to identify the subject.? Does a preposition preceding the 'noun' be defined as a subject.?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 02:08
To find the subject, keep reading until an appropriate candidate comes up! Typically, the subject will be the first noun you see that isn't part of a modifier. Looking at the second independent clause (after the semicolon), here's how we might proceed:

at stake--This is a prepositional phrase. That's a modifier, so "stake" can't be the subject.

,should a significant number of these debts be repudiated,--This is a modifier. One clue is that it's set off with commas. Another is that it is serving as a qualifier. If this happens, the main action will happen, but we haven't seen what that main action is yet.

is--This is our verb, but where's the subject?

the solvency --Here's our subject! It's the first noun that is not part of a modifier.

of some of the world’s largest multinational banks.--This is a long modifying phrase. It simply adds details to the word "solvency."

So, shortening things down, the simple core of the clause is "At stake is the solvency." In more traditional order, that's "The solvency is at stake." The reversed Yoda-talk here is a turn of phrase equivalent to "What is at stake is . . . " One point of this usage (aside from making the problem harder) is to create a sense of drama: something is at stake. What is it? This construction also makes the very long modifier on the subject a bit less unwieldy by placing it at the end. Consider the two sentences below:

Not present at the meeting was my boss. There is no reason to write the sentence this way, unless I am contrasting with another, longer sentence "Present at the meeting were X, Y, and Z. Not present was my boss." As it is, it's just backwards!

Not present at the meeting were the many supporters of the plan, none of whom received invitations. Here, the subject has such a long modifier that it makes sense to move the whole thing to the end. The sentence wouldn't be wrong the other way ("The many supporters of the plan, none of whom received invitations, were not present at the meeting.") However, it may not make its point as clearly and forcefully. Also, until we get to the last word, we don't know what the invitations are referring to.

For a similar construction, take a look at this one: what-was-as-remarkable-as-the-development-of-the-compact-139154.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 06:29
Subject in 2nd clause is "At stake" so we require "IS"

Now B/w A and E
E- not correct
as Will cannot come with If in same clause
eg . If I play , I will win.
Here Will and If need to be in different clauses so this is correct.

if a significant number of these debts will be repudiated-Wrong construction

So A is correct.

Give kudos if you like explanation

Give kudos if you like the post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil &nbs [#permalink] 30 Sep 2018, 06:29

Developing nations in various parts of the world have amassed $700 bil

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap