Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM Pro GMAT: Select your Best fit MBA
Thousands of students get their MBA degree from top business schools around the world. A majority of them do it to advance in their career and get the best knowledge with the best fit environment. They want the best return on their huge investment of time and money. Few of them don’t get the expected … Continue reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Happy Holidays
Have a blissful one people and may 2015 be good to us all. With love from Nigeria :)
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Happy New Year!!! And round two help :)
Congrats everyone!!! We’re in the year when most of us will be resuming at Business schools :) This is going to be very brief but I know it’ll help someone. This post is specifically for round two applicants yet to submit. Two things I want to say: The entire application matters. Looking back at my applications, I realize that […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM My Journey to Business School: And then there was one.
UCLA Anderson was the only other school I was waiting to hear from, and I really wanted to know if I got in before making a decision on where to attend school. I got the call last night- I’M IN!

They were very generous with a scholarship as well! I haven’t received the official update via email yet, so I’ll wait for that before I post anything out here.

But it’s time for me to CELEBRATE!! :D :D

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: GrantMeAdmission: The Results are In!
It has been awhile. I am currently sitting in a cafe in Los Angeles contemplating these last few months. From May to October I worked my…
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
FROM MBA on my Mind: New Year, New Plans
Happy New Year, Guys! Hope it’s a magical one!

I know for certain that 2015 promises to be freakin’ magical for Topdog, Naija, Vandana and Hugo! You guys have admits to the best business schools in the world, aaahhh… Ya’ll are my role models! I am sure the round 2’ers will be close at your heels and are giving their apps a good ol’ spit and shine. I am sending tons of positive vibes your way, round 2’ers. I know, like I know, you guys will have great news come March/April!

After thorough examination of the position at where I stand today, I have decided to apply for my MBA in the 2015 admission cycle. Here’s a look at the result that the thorough examination rendered -

1. My company is at the cusp of bringing in funding from an Impact funding vehicle. As one of the founders, it is imperative for me to be around to see the deal through. I can’t just head off to business school at this point, it displays lack of commitment to the vision around which my company was built.

2. We are on a massive expansion drive and expansion at a start up requires all members working to make it happen. It needs undivided attention. I hadn’t even thought through how my roles and responsibilities would be carried out, had I gone off to business school. No replacement strategy was put in place. (I feel super stupid about that)

3. Financing the MBA. I had a plan at the beginning of 2014 about how I’d finance it, but a start up literally bleeds you dry. Everything was pumped into the company, by the time December rolled around I knew I had to look for other options. Scholarships were out of the window because of my less than perfect 650 on the GMAT.

4. Of course my GMAT score. I need to fix that.

So, there we are. That’s why it’s going to be the 2015 cycle for me. I will be applying to the same schools that I have up on the tally (that’s probably the best thing I’ve done so far, figuring out my school list). A little heads up,I am going to be bothering my blogger friends for inputs, through the next few months!  :D

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: All in for Round 2!
I finally submitted all four apps in the past two days and let me tell you, it was exhausting. Here are my thoughts on each application:

• Booth: I absolutely loved the Booth application. It gave me enough space to talk about everything (and I mean everything!). The prompts within the app allowed for enough detail and I even used the optional essay to fill in some gaps. I was terrified of the presentation/essay but it turned out to be one of the most rewarding things I’ve made this application season. Everyone who read it seems to have enjoyed it, so I can only hope the adcoms will too. I’d say this was my favourite (and my best).
  • Kellogg: The application for Kellogg and Booth was actually pretty similar, but I had to be much more succinct in my Kellogg app. There were three essays I had to answer (2 required + 1 for the MMM) and I think I did a pretty decent job at all of them, although some were better than the others. Hopefully, my video essay goes well and I make enough of an impact on the adcom. It would suck if my interview was waived.
  • Anderson: The Anderson application was painless (just one essay and one recommendation) until I realized that they require a TOEFL score 2 days before the deadline for Round 2. I was this close to breaking something. Luckily, I got in my app before the deadline and put in the date I’m planning to take the damn test but until they get my official scores, my application is going to be “on hold”. Anyone know what this means?
  • Tepper: Tepper was sort of a last-ditch effort on my part. I was also exhausted from a long night the day before, so I’m not sure how my essays were. I think I did okay, hopefully that’s enough. For the first time ever, my essays were under the word count rather than being a few over. Weird.
Things that changed from Round 1 in Round 2:

• I had one solid recommendation in Round 1 and the other, was to put it mildly, just fluff. I know because the recommender (head of volunteers) decided to show it to me once I’d submitted all my Round 1 apps. I’m not even sure how I got invited to interview at Duke with that one. It was a huge wake-up call. This time, my client (from my startup) agreed to be my second recommender and I know he’s going to do a killer job because I did some killer work for him.
  • I paid a lot more attention to the short answers and little entry fields in the application. Last time, I’d pretty much copy+pasted bullets from my resume into these fields, but this time I made sure to bring up things that had never been mentioned before. My apps this time covered every single aspect of my profile.
  • I had help every single step of the way from Vandana and NaijaMBAGal(a shoutout to FinanceFurry here as well). I absolutely could not have done it without them. They were my supporters, critics and confidantes throughout this round and their feedback on my essays was always genius. Every time I second-guessed something on my app (which was pretty much all the time), I knew I had these guys on my side. Thank you so much you two!
What lies ahead? I’m going to finish up my Kellogg Video essays, get in a short vacation in Bangkok this weekend, come back and get the TOEFL over with and then just wait! I have a good feeling about Round 2 :) I also feel like this time I won’t be so anal about it… some exciting things have been happening at work and I caught myself thinking “Oh crap, if I get into an MBA program, I’m going to miss all this”. Yup, instant realization. MBA this year or no MBA this year, I’m gonna be okay!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: I have no pink shoes
First off I’d like to wish all round two applicants the very best of luck in their applications. Hope you get into your dream schools. Since my admission to Booth, I have being immersed in the Booth culture and I can say that I did not make a mistake in my initial analysis. Also, I […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: I have no pink shoes
First off I’d like to wish all round two applicants the very best of luck in their applications. Hope you get into your dream schools. Since my admission to Booth, I have being immersed in the Booth culture and I can say that I did not make a mistake in my initial analysis. Also, I […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: GMAT done, dusted and cancelled. 700 (49Q, 38V)
So I guess the title says it all. I knew the Quant section went well, wasn’t too sure about the Verbal but yeah, clearly didn’t go as expected! I’m not too disappointed because I knew this was a long shot. It would have been nice to be applying with a higher GMAT but now that it’s done, I guess I’ll just focus on the other parts of the application! I cancelled the score right away and didn’t report them, so my 710 still stands.

In other news, I’m travelling for about a week! It’s gonna be a welcome break from the GMAT insanity. Hopefully this will give me the time I need to clear my head and kill my essays. After I come back it’s gonna be an avalanche of deadlines so I’ll need all the rest I can get!

Happy holidays everyone!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: All in for Round 2!
I finally submitted all four apps in the past two days and let me tell you, it was exhausting. Here are my thoughts on each application:

• Booth: I absolutely loved the Booth application. It gave me enough space to talk about everything (and I mean everything!). The prompts within the app allowed for enough detail and I even used the optional essay to fill in some gaps. I was terrified of the presentation/essay but it turned out to be one of the most rewarding things I’ve made this application season. Everyone who read it seems to have enjoyed it, so I can only hope the adcoms will too. I’d say this was my favourite (and my best).
  • Kellogg: The application for Kellogg and Booth was actually pretty similar, but I had to be much more succinct in my Kellogg app. There were three essays I had to answer (2 required + 1 for the MMM) and I think I did a pretty decent job at all of them, although some were better than the others. Hopefully, my video essay goes well and I make enough of an impact on the adcom. It would suck if my interview was waived.
  • Anderson: The Anderson application was painless (just one essay and one recommendation) until I realized that they require a TOEFL score 2 days before the deadline for Round 2. I was this close to breaking something. Luckily, I got in my app before the deadline and put in the date I’m planning to take the damn test but until they get my official scores, my application is going to be “on hold”. Anyone know what this means?
  • Tepper: Tepper was sort of a last-ditch effort on my part. I was also exhausted from a long night the day before, so I’m not sure how my essays were. I think I did okay, hopefully that’s enough. For the first time ever, my essays were under the word count rather than being a few over. Weird.
Things that changed from Round 1 in Round 2:

• I had one solid recommendation in Round 1 and the other, was to put it mildly, just fluff. I know because the recommender (head of volunteers) decided to show it to me once I’d submitted all my Round 1 apps. I’m not even sure how I got invited to interview at Duke with that one. It was a huge wake-up call. This time, my client (from my startup) agreed to be my second recommender and I know he’s going to do a killer job because I did some killer work for him.
  • I paid a lot more attention to the short answers and little entry fields in the application. Last time, I’d pretty much copy+pasted bullets from my resume into these fields, but this time I made sure to bring up things that had never been mentioned before. My apps this time covered every single aspect of my profile.
  • I had help every single step of the way from Vandana and NaijaMBAGal(a shoutout to FinanceFurry here as well). I absolutely could not have done it without them. They were my supporters, critics and confidantes throughout this round and their feedback on my essays was always genius. Every time I second-guessed something on my app (which was pretty much all the time), I knew I had these guys on my side. Thank you so much you two!
What lies ahead? I’m going to finish up my Kellogg Video essays, get in a short vacation in Bangkok this weekend, come back and get the TOEFL over with and then just wait! I have a good feeling about Round 2 :) I also feel like this time I won’t be so anal about it… some exciting things have been happening at work and I caught myself thinking “Oh crap, if I get into an MBA program, I’m going to miss all this”. Yup, instant realization. MBA this year or no MBA this year, I’m gonna be okay!

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: What to accomplish in 2015
So we are already a week ahead of our New Year eve. I am seeing a very few blogs from my friends who got admitted in Round 1, I think they are still in Hangover!! Well, it is the time to be in hangover, but for how long? You people need to start packing soon. :P First, all … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
FROM John Thunder MBA: Wharton MBA Buy-side Report
Wharton reports its acceptance on December 16th… They have a ton of buy-side employers that gave offers to Wharton students. I finally have had the time to spend hours classifying the firms. Apologies for the mistakes. 3.4% went to Hedge Funds, 6.7% to investment management, 8.5% private equity, 1.7% to venture capital. So 20% of the class went to the buy-side. I think more hedge funds recruited at Wharton versus other schools, and I believe it’s less of a surprise. These start-up hedge funds are mostly in New York.

Wharton Employers
Type

Al Masah Capital
Asset Management

Asia Consumer Assest Management
Asset Management

BlackRock, Inc.
Asset Management

Brandywine Global Investment Management
Asset Management

ClearBridge Investments
Asset Management

Cornerstone Investment Partners
Asset Management

Matthews International Capital Management
Asset Management

MFS Investment Management
Asset Management

Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company
Asset Management

Parnassus Investments
Asset Management

PIMCO
Asset Management

Schultze Asset Management, LLC
Asset Management

Archer Capital Management
Credit

Capitala Investment Group
Credit

Newstone Capital Partners, LLC
Credit

AlpInvest Partners Inc.
Fund of Funds

Abraaj Capital Limited
Hedge Fund

Andalusian Capital Partners
Hedge Fund

Carlson Capital, L.P.
Hedge Fund

Cartica Capital
Hedge Fund

Citadel Investment Group, LLC
Hedge Fund

Cleargate Capital
Hedge Fund

Crestwood Capital Management, LP
Hedge Fund

Davidson Kempner Capital Management LP
Hedge Fund

Elliott Management Corporation
Hedge Fund

Emerson Capital, LP
Hedge Fund

Falcon Investment Advisors
Hedge Fund

Fir Tree Partners
Hedge Fund

Glade Brook Capital Partners
Hedge Fund

Hahn Capital
Hedge Fund

Hawkeye Capital Managment, LLC
Hedge Fund

Hitchwood Capital
Hedge Fund

Incline Global Management, LLC
Hedge Fund

Ionic Capital Management
Hedge Fund

JAT Capital Management LP
Hedge Fund

JHL Capital Group LLC
Hedge Fund

KAUST Investment Management Company
Hedge Fund

King Street Capital Management, L.P.
Hedge Fund

Knighthead Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Luxor Capital
Hedge Fund

LW Investment Management
Hedge Fund

Marathon Asset Management
Hedge Fund

Midwood Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Mount Kellett Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Owl Creek Asset Management
Hedge Fund

Rivulet Capital
Hedge Fund

SAC Capital Advisors, LLC
Hedge Fund

Soros Fund Management LLC
Hedge Fund

Sovarnum Capital
Hedge Fund

Stelliam Investment Management
Hedge Fund

Stone Lion Capital Partners
Hedge Fund

Tamarack Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Tiger Legatus Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Tybourne Capital Management
Hedge Fund

York Capital Management
Hedge Fund

American Securities LLC
Private Equity

Angelo, Gordon & Co.
Private Equity

Aqua Capital Partners
Private Equity

Argonaut Private Equity
Private Equity

Artisan Partners Limited Partnership
Private Equity

Avista Capital Partners
Private Equity

Bain Capital, LLC
Private Equity

Baring Private Equity Asia Limited
Private Equity

Baron Capital, Inc.
Private Equity

Battery Ventures
Private Equity

Blackstone Group LP, The
Private Equity

Bridge Growth Partners
Private Equity

Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
Private Equity

Carlyle Group, The
Private Equity

CarVal Investors
Private Equity

Centerbridge Partners, L.P.
Private Equity

CenterSquare Investment Management
Private Equity

CITIC PE
Private Equity

Clarion Partners
Private Equity

Cressey & Company LP
Private Equity

Ecus Private Equity
Private Equity

Emerging Capital Partners (ECP)
Private Equity

Formation Capital
Private Equity

GI Partners
Private Equity

GP Investments
Private Equity

Graham Partners
Private Equity

GTCR
Private Equity

H.I.G. Capital
Private Equity

HarbourVest Partners
Private Equity

Hermitage Capital Management
Private Equity

Hony Capital
Private Equity

Impact Investment Group
Private Equity

Intervale Capital
Private Equity

Kamylon Capital
Private Equity

Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) & Company
Private Equity

L Capital
Private Equity

NaviMed Capital
Private Equity

Permira Advisors L.L.C.
Private Equity

Riverside Partners, LLC
Private Equity

Signal Hill Equity Partners
Private Equity

Snow Lake Capital
Private Equity

Summit Park Partners
Private Equity

Teton Capital
Private Equity

Vector Capital
Private Equity

Vestar Capital Partners
Private Equity

Vista Equity Partners
Private Equity

Warburg Pincus LLC
Private Equity

Wellspring Capital Management
Private Equity

WestBridge Capital
Private Equity

Commerce Ventures
Venture Capital

DreamIt Ventures
Venture Capital

Earlybird Venture Capital
Venture Capital

Edison Ventures
Venture Capital

Education Pioneers and NewSchools Venture Fund
Venture Capital

Evolution Media Capital
Venture Capital

Genacast Ventures
Venture Capital

Headland Capital Partners
Venture Capital

HLM Venture Partners
Venture Capital

ICICI Ventures
Venture Capital

Kapor Capital
Venture Capital

Kibo Ventures
Venture Capital

Longitude Capital
Venture Capital

Sadara Ventures
Venture Capital

Sequoia Capital
Venture Capital

Shineon Capital Management
Venture Capital

Thrive Capital
Venture Capital

Winklevoss Capital
Venture Capital

Winona Capital Management
Venture Capital

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
FROM John Thunder MBA: Final Results
Sloan – Admitted!!!

Wharton – Waitlist

Booth – Waitlist

No Kellogg. Wasn’t enthused about Kellogg anyways. Their campus needs renovation… won’t be renovated in the next 2 years.

Not sure what to do now. Sloan was my top choice for technology career path.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: The Executive MBA at London Business School begins…
I was in the middle of a meeting at exactly 12 noon today when it hit me that under normal circumstances, I should have been in London, meeting my new classmates for the next 20 months. The Executive MBA at London Business School begins… but I am not in class because I was forced to defer till September, 2015.

I got to my office, opened up my Expedia homepage and looked longingly at all the trips I had planned for the next three months; it was painful. The whole application experience from all the dings and finally getting admission to LBS, only to wait for one year. I don’t even want to think of all the money I had spent.

But the good thing that I had to keep reminding myself of is that I have one whole year to put things in place and gain more experience. The fact that I am not going to business school this year has also made me buckle down and take life a little bit more seriously. I have a whole lot of investments in different asset classes scattered all over the place, and I don’t even know my net worth. If I am not going to business school this year, I might as well consolidate my portfolio, and optimize the asset classes and securities to fit into my current profile. I also have enough time to really mull over what I am going to do with my life after business school; I don’t see myself in paid employment in four years from now.

Another good thing is that I don’t need to worry about being too old in one year from today. The average number of years of experience in the EMBA Class is 11 years for the Dubai Stream, which I applied for, but I have only 8 years. Add next year and I will hit 9 years.

And yes, time to dust my old books and brush up my French…

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: Grateful for 2014
It was a roller coaster of a year, but it ended up as one of the best years of my life to far. I am so grateful for how things turned out and, sincerely, I couldn’t have asked for better. Everything worked together for good: from all the dings from Harvard to Stanford GSB to Wharton to the strange outcome at INSEAD and then to getting into London Business School Exec MBA and only to end up with a deferral, it was a serious journey and it has brought me to where I am today.

A few weeks after getting over the fact that I had to defer my admission till September 2015, I took a very hard look at my life. I wondered – what if I applied the same laser focus I had during the application process into what exactly I wanted to do with my life, what would I achieve? I am so glad that I embarked on another journey of soul searching. This time around there were no questions from some admission committee members; I crafted the questions myself and I answered them, not to satisfy some Adcom members but to satisfy myself. I did not need any consultant for this either and there was no time limit.

I must confess. A lot has happened in three months when I started the journey. I am an investment manager and my motivation to go to business school was to develop the business side of things so I would be able to converge my experiences as a medical doctor and an investment manager. Right now I am in the process of incorporating a Hedge Fund that will partially morph into a Healthcare focused Private Equity Fund in a few years. Strangely, the Federal Government of Nigeria signed the National Health Bill into law a two weeks ago; this bill encourages private participation in the healthcare industry in Nigeria. This is what I have waited for, for so long. I also sampled the opinion of a few friends about the Hedge Fund and I got a resounding support: I have even gotten funds lined up waiting for the fund to get rolling. But I am keeping my fingers crossed at this time. People will promise you things out of politeness but when the time comes to deliver, the stories will start.

But the thought of running my own Hedge Fund, doing what I really like doing and setting the investment rules, while honing my business skills at London Business School is an adventure that I am looking forward to in 2015. A lot has really happened in just three months since I deferred my admission because of work, and I am positive that a lot of many more good things will happen in the next nine months before school starts. I can’t wait!

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM