GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Leadership in Admissions

January 23, 2019

January 23, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to portray yourself as a leader in your MBA applications when you download this free guide!
  • No Stone Unturned: Your 2019/2020 MBA Application Starts Now!

January 24, 2019

January 24, 2019

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Planning to apply to business school in 2019 or 2020? It is not too early to start planning! By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top MBA program.

Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.3
Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 17:42
Hey everybody,

I'm very fortunate to say that I'm deciding between attending Fuqua with no scholarship or Foster with a very significant scholarship (over $60,000).

I would like to pursue consulting post-MBA, preferably MBB. My big question is if the distinction between entering into MBB (which Fuqua is a great feeder into) and firms like Deloitte (which Foster is a great feeder into, but not MBB) is worth the over $60,000 I would be forgoing to attend Fuqua. I'm also curious if the prestige/other factors of attending Duke are worth the cost.

Any and all thoughts, including those I didn't include in this forum, are much appreciated. I hope this serves as a help to all those in similar situations. Many thanks!
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 19:49
Fuqua is without doubt a more sensible choice here. But with your GMAT score (specially quant score) MBB is going to be very tough even from Fuqua. Are you an international?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 11:10
Thanks for the input. I’m not an international. I did my undergrad at UCLA with an economics degree and planning on studying fiercely so I’m hoping my GPA while at Fuqua will make up for any quant-related lack.

May I ask why you say Fuqua is without a doubt the more sensible choice, considering I’d be paying an extra $100,000 to attend?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Dec 2018, 11:53
Congratulations on getting in and congrats on your hard work paying off!

MBB is a bet and not a guarantee at any program.

Based on my stake-in-the-ground valuation of a Top 10 MBA, the value is equally distributed if the price difference is indeed $100K, meaning it would not be a mistake to go with either one depending on a personal situation and preference. If you have a heavy burden of undergrad loans, I would highly recommend taking the scholarship and moving to UW.

If you are looking to add a strong brand name to your resume and be a part of a very close knit community with strong recruiting, and somewhat putting more value of having a better experience (rather than more economical one) then Foster won't compare with Fuqua.

If it is 100K difference, I think the choice is yours. Neither is better really. If the difference is less, then Fuqua is starting to look marginally better and vice versa.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 31 Dec 2018, 11:45.
Last edited by bb on 31 Dec 2018, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
edit
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 17:28
elijahchang wrote:
Thanks for the input. I’m not an international. I did my undergrad at UCLA with an economics degree and planning on studying fiercely so I’m hoping my GPA while at Fuqua will make up for any quant-related lack.

Hi elijahchang

Sorry to say it does not work like that. You must enhance the GMAT score in quant as it is one of the factors that is important that give glimpse of you math capabilities. I know a lot of first year who are doing GMAT again to apply. You still have time. Push you yourself now than later when you are busy.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 10:36
Mo2men wrote:
elijahchang wrote:

Hi elijahchang

Sorry to say it does not work like that. You must enhance the GMAT score in quant as it is one of the factors that is important that give glimpse of you math capabilities. I know a lot of first year who are doing GMAT again to apply. You still have time. Push you yourself now than later when you are busy.

Good luck

What if he had the same GMAT (710) but with a 49 or 50 quant, would you suggest that the retake the GMAT?
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 11:24
kastino wrote:

What if he had the same GMAT (710) but with a 49 or 50 quant, would you suggest that the retake the GMAT?

This is really good. I know a friend who was employed with 710 in Bain from Darden. Needless to say that you must work hard and prepare for consulting interviews wherever you choose.

Good luck
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 23:28
In my experience I have never heard of any candidate(from non target school) with a 710 GMAT and below 80th percentile quant get an interview call from MBB. If you are expecting a miracle then that miracle has a better chance of happening from Fuqua (it's a target school for MBB) than from Foster.

Again this advice is based on my limited knowledge. You shouldn't and most likely you wouldn't base your decision solely on my advice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 11:12
Maupassant9 wrote:
In my experience I have never heard of any candidate(from non target school) with a 710 GMAT and below 80th percentile quant get an interview call from MBB. If you are expecting a miracle then that miracle has a better chance of happening from Fuqua (it's a target school for MBB) than from Foster.

Again this advice is based on my limited knowledge. You shouldn't and most likely you wouldn't base your decision solely on my advice.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably try to make up my GMAT quant lack with other strengths, but if I continually observe that what you said is true, I may very well take your advice fully.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 05:56
elijahchang wrote:
Hey everybody,

I'm very fortunate to say that I'm deciding between attending Fuqua with no scholarship or Foster with a very significant scholarship (over $60,000).

I would like to pursue consulting post-MBA, preferably MBB. My big question is if the distinction between entering into MBB (which Fuqua is a great feeder into) and firms like Deloitte (which Foster is a great feeder into, but not MBB) is worth the over $60,000 I would be forgoing to attend Fuqua. I'm also curious if the prestige/other factors of attending Duke are worth the cost.

Any and all thoughts, including those I didn't include in this forum, are much appreciated. I hope this serves as a help to all those in similar situations. Many thanks!

I would take the money (which is quite a lot) and go to Foster. MBB is no guarantee like bb mentioned above and competition for Consulting will be fierce at Fuqua since most people apply for Consulting. At Foster, there will be people who will recruit for Consulting, but not so much! Also, FWIW, Foster was mentioned as one of the rising schools in one of the rankings/articles last year and I won't be surprised if it breaks into Top 20 in a couple of years!
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 14:23
I agree with most other users here re: the GMAT. Your overall score is great but skewed heavily towards the verbal side, which MBB doesn't care much about. Your chances at MBB will definitely be higher at Fuqua, but the GMAT will be a pretty strong deterrent. On the other hand, note that MBB is as much of a crap shoot post business school as admissions to business schools themselves. It is fiercely competitive and often driven by random networking and chance rather than actual abilities. Needless to say, they are very weak indicators of future success.

I love Foster, especially if you want to get into tech. Both Microsoft and Amazon have strong recruitment trends at UW and you can't go wrong there. But when it comes to consulting, Fuqua is an obviously better choice. If you don't make into MBB, the chances of making it into Deloitte, LEK, ATK or EY are much higher at Fuqua than Foster.

Tl;Dr: Go to Fuqua if you want to recruit consulting. Stick to Foster if you are risk-averse and willing to give tech a shot.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$) &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2019, 14:23

Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap