GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.3
Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 18:42
Hey everybody,

I'm very fortunate to say that I'm deciding between attending Fuqua with no scholarship or Foster with a very significant scholarship (over $60,000).

I would like to pursue consulting post-MBA, preferably MBB. My big question is if the distinction between entering into MBB (which Fuqua is a great feeder into) and firms like Deloitte (which Foster is a great feeder into, but not MBB) is worth the over $60,000 I would be forgoing to attend Fuqua. I'm also curious if the prestige/other factors of attending Duke are worth the cost.

Any and all thoughts, including those I didn't include in this forum, are much appreciated. I hope this serves as a help to all those in similar situations. Many thanks!
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 75
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2018, 20:49
Fuqua is without doubt a more sensible choice here. But with your GMAT score (specially quant score) MBB is going to be very tough even from Fuqua. Are you an international?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 12:10
Thanks for the input. I’m not an international. I did my undergrad at UCLA with an economics degree and planning on studying fiercely so I’m hoping my GPA while at Fuqua will make up for any quant-related lack.

May I ask why you say Fuqua is without a doubt the more sensible choice, considering I’d be paying an extra $100,000 to attend?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17628
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Dec 2018, 12:53
1
Congratulations on getting in and congrats on your hard work paying off!

MBB is a bet and not a guarantee at any program.

Based on my stake-in-the-ground valuation of a Top 10 MBA, the value is equally distributed if the price difference is indeed $100K, meaning it would not be a mistake to go with either one depending on a personal situation and preference. If you have a heavy burden of undergrad loans, I would highly recommend taking the scholarship and moving to UW.

If you are looking to add a strong brand name to your resume and be a part of a very close knit community with strong recruiting, and somewhat putting more value of having a better experience (rather than more economical one) then Foster won't compare with Fuqua.

If it is 100K difference, I think the choice is yours. Neither is better really. If the difference is less, then Fuqua is starting to look marginally better and vice versa.
_________________
Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 31 Dec 2018, 12:45.
Last edited by bb on 31 Dec 2018, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
edit
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2236
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 18:28
1
elijahchang wrote:
Thanks for the input. I’m not an international. I did my undergrad at UCLA with an economics degree and planning on studying fiercely so I’m hoping my GPA while at Fuqua will make up for any quant-related lack.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi elijahchang

Sorry to say it does not work like that. You must enhance the GMAT score in quant as it is one of the factors that is important that give glimpse of you math capabilities. I know a lot of first year who are doing GMAT again to apply. You still have time. Push you yourself now than later when you are busy.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Schools: Darden '21 (A$)
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 11:36
Mo2men wrote:
elijahchang wrote:
Thanks for the input. I’m not an international. I did my undergrad at UCLA with an economics degree and planning on studying fiercely so I’m hoping my GPA while at Fuqua will make up for any quant-related lack.

Posted from my mobile device


Hi elijahchang

Sorry to say it does not work like that. You must enhance the GMAT score in quant as it is one of the factors that is important that give glimpse of you math capabilities. I know a lot of first year who are doing GMAT again to apply. You still have time. Push you yourself now than later when you are busy.

Good luck


What if he had the same GMAT (710) but with a 49 or 50 quant, would you suggest that the retake the GMAT?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2236
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 12:24
kastino wrote:

What if he had the same GMAT (710) but with a 49 or 50 quant, would you suggest that the retake the GMAT?


This is really good. I know a friend who was employed with 710 in Bain from Darden. Needless to say that you must work hard and prepare for consulting interviews wherever you choose.

Good luck
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 16 Jan 2017
Posts: 75
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 00:28
In my experience I have never heard of any candidate(from non target school) with a 710 GMAT and below 80th percentile quant get an interview call from MBB. If you are expecting a miracle then that miracle has a better chance of happening from Fuqua (it's a target school for MBB) than from Foster.

Again this advice is based on my limited knowledge. You shouldn't and most likely you wouldn't base your decision solely on my advice.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 14
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 12:12
Maupassant9 wrote:
In my experience I have never heard of any candidate(from non target school) with a 710 GMAT and below 80th percentile quant get an interview call from MBB. If you are expecting a miracle then that miracle has a better chance of happening from Fuqua (it's a target school for MBB) than from Foster.

Again this advice is based on my limited knowledge. You shouldn't and most likely you wouldn't base your decision solely on my advice.


Thanks for the input. I'll probably try to make up my GMAT quant lack with other strengths, but if I continually observe that what you said is true, I may very well take your advice fully.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 656
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 06:56
elijahchang wrote:
Hey everybody,

I'm very fortunate to say that I'm deciding between attending Fuqua with no scholarship or Foster with a very significant scholarship (over $60,000).

I would like to pursue consulting post-MBA, preferably MBB. My big question is if the distinction between entering into MBB (which Fuqua is a great feeder into) and firms like Deloitte (which Foster is a great feeder into, but not MBB) is worth the over $60,000 I would be forgoing to attend Fuqua. I'm also curious if the prestige/other factors of attending Duke are worth the cost.

Any and all thoughts, including those I didn't include in this forum, are much appreciated. I hope this serves as a help to all those in similar situations. Many thanks!


I would take the money (which is quite a lot) and go to Foster. MBB is no guarantee like bb mentioned above and competition for Consulting will be fierce at Fuqua since most people apply for Consulting. At Foster, there will be people who will recruit for Consulting, but not so much! Also, FWIW, Foster was mentioned as one of the rising schools in one of the rankings/articles last year and I won't be surprised if it breaks into Top 20 in a couple of years!
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4272
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 15:23
1
I agree with most other users here re: the GMAT. Your overall score is great but skewed heavily towards the verbal side, which MBB doesn't care much about. Your chances at MBB will definitely be higher at Fuqua, but the GMAT will be a pretty strong deterrent. On the other hand, note that MBB is as much of a crap shoot post business school as admissions to business schools themselves. It is fiercely competitive and often driven by random networking and chance rather than actual abilities. Needless to say, they are very weak indicators of future success.

I love Foster, especially if you want to get into tech. Both Microsoft and Amazon have strong recruitment trends at UW and you can't go wrong there. But when it comes to consulting, Fuqua is an obviously better choice. If you don't make into MBB, the chances of making it into Deloitte, LEK, ATK or EY are much higher at Fuqua than Foster.

Tl;Dr: Go to Fuqua if you want to recruit consulting. Stick to Foster if you are risk-averse and willing to give tech a shot.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jun 2017
Posts: 64
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 13:27
Maupassant9 wrote:
In my experience I have never heard of any candidate(from non target school) with a 710 GMAT and below 80th percentile quant get an interview call from MBB. If you are expecting a miracle then that miracle has a better chance of happening from Fuqua (it's a target school for MBB) than from Foster.

Again this advice is based on my limited knowledge. You shouldn't and most likely you wouldn't base your decision solely on my advice.



^ I have never heard this before...I would not take this advice. I have heard GMAT is a factor but the overall score...

To reiterate, if MBB is your goal, Fuqua wins. If consulting in general is your goal, Fuqua wins. If your goal is tech, Fuqua wins. If your goal is Seattle based tech--it's a draw, follow the money. Anywhere outside of Seattle, Duke is the stronger name and a few notches above in terms of opportunity.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2019, 13:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Duke Fuqua vs. Foster ($$$)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch



Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne