It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 947 [4], given: 184

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2012, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

80% (01:43) correct 20% (01:23) wrong based on 240

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

69% (00:30) correct 31% (00:51) wrong based on 230

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

90% (00:18) correct 10% (00:16) wrong based on 226

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

85% (00:26) correct 15% (00:39) wrong based on 228

Question 5
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

71% (00:48) correct 29% (01:16) wrong based on 219

During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic development strategy of local governments in the United States was to attract manufacturing industries. Unfortunately, this strategy was usually implemented at another community's expense: many manufacturing facilities were lured away from their moorings elsewhere through tax incentives and slick promotional efforts. Through the transfer of jobs and related revenues that resulted from this practice, one town's triumph could become another town's tragedy.

In the 1980's the strategy shifted from this zero-sum game to one called “high-technology development,” in which local governments competed to attract newly formed high-technology manufacturing firms. Although this approach was preferable to victimizing other geographical areas by taking their jobs, it also had its shortcomings: high-tech manufacturing firms employ only a specially trained fraction of the manufacturing workforce, and there simply are not enough high-tech firms to satisfy all geographic areas.

Recently, local governments have increasingly come to recognize the advantages of yet a third strategy: the promotion of homegrown small businesses. Small indigenous businesses are created by a nearly ubiquitous resource, local entrepreneurs. With roots in their communities, these individuals are less likely to be enticed away by incentives offered by another community. Indigenous industry and talent are kept at home, creating an environment that both provides jobs and fosters further entrepreneurship.
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) advocate more effective strategies for encouraging the development of high- technology enterprises in the United States
(B) contrast the incentives for economic development offered by local governments with those offered by the private sector
(C) acknowledge and counter adverse criticism of programs being used to stimulate local economic development
(D) define and explore promotional efforts used by local governments to attract new industry
(E) review and evaluate strategies and programs that have been used to stimulate economic development

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: E

2. The passage suggests which of the following about the majority of United States manufacturing industries before the high-technology development era of the 1980's?

(A) They lost many of their most innovative personnel to small entrepreneurial enterprises.
(B) They experienced a major decline in profits during the 1960’s and 1970’s.
(C) They could provide real economic benefits to the areas in which they were located.
(D) They employed workers who had no specialized skills.
(E) They actively interfered with local entrepreneurial ventures.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: C

3. The tone of the passage suggests that the author is most optimistic about the economic development potential of which of the following groups?

(A) Local governments
(B) High-technology promoters
(C) Local entrepreneurs
(D) Manufacturing-industry managers
(E) Economic development strategists

[Reveal] Spoiler:

4. The passage does NOT state which of the following about local entrepreneurs?

(A) They are found nearly everywhere.
(B) They encourage further entrepreneurship.
(C) They attract out-of-town investors.
(D) They employ local workers.
(E) They are established in their communities.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

5. The author of the passage mentions which of the following as an advantage of high-technology development?

(A) It encourages the modernization of existing manufacturing facilities.
(B) It promotes healthy competition between rival industries.
(C) It encourages the growth of related industries.
(D) It takes full advantage of the existing workforce.
(E) It does not advantage one local workforce at the expense of another.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer: E

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #4 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #5 OA

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Looking to finance your tuition: Click here

Last edited by PrashantPonde on 20 Dec 2012, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 947 [4], given: 184

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2014, 12:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 23:33
IMO ECCCA

can someone please explain question 5.. i choose A, as it looks to me that option E is not discussed in passage.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 04:04
samratkokula wrote:
IMO ECCCA

can someone please explain question 5.. i choose A, as it looks to me that option E is not discussed in passage.

It says in line 15 - this approach was preferable to victimizing other geographical areas by taking their jobs

Hence E.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 09:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 00:08
Hi, can someone explain question number 2? I dont get it why c :(

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 37

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 02:31
LouisaLim wrote:
Hi, can someone explain question number 2? I dont get it why c :(

The first line in the passage
During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic development strategy of local governments in the United States was to attract manufacturing industries.
we can infer from this that manufacturing industries provided economic benefits.

Hope this resolves your doubt.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 197

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 07:58
6:48 sec(including reading) ..4 out of 5 were correct..missed the last one... :(

For last question,Most will be narrow down to A and E.

For last question why A is wrong: Govt try to attract newly formed high-technology manufacturing firms(1st line of 2nd paragraph).It is not benefiting existing one.

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 01:39
Got all correct. But took 8 mins 34 seconds. Looks like I need to improve my speed

E C C C E

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 80

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 13:12
Took 5 mins, including 1 mins 45 seconds to read

(E) review and evaluate strategies and programs that have been used to stimulate economic development - it discusses three strategies

2. The passage suggests which of the following about the majority of United States manufacturing industries before the high-technology development era of the 1980's?
(C) They could provide real economic benefits to the areas in which they were located. -"Through the transfer of jobs and related revenues that resulted from this practice, one town's triumph could become another town's tragedy."

3. The tone of the passage suggests that the author is most optimistic about the economic development potential of which of the following groups?
(C) Local entrepreneurs - the last para talks only good about them

4. The passage does NOT state which of the following about local entrepreneurs?
(C) They attract out-of-town investors.

5. The author of the passage mentions which of the following as an advantage of high-technology development?
(E) It does not advantage one local workforce at the expense of another. -"Although this approach was preferable to victimizing other geographical areas by taking their jobs"

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1000 [0], given: 80

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 07:22
please reply of all questions of rc

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 04:17
Why answer of first question (primary purpose of passage) is E and not C. What is the subtle difference between both of them? Pls explain

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 88

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 05:03
This post received
KUDOS
nikhilbhide wrote:
Why answer of first question (primary purpose of passage) is E and not C. What is the subtle difference between both of them? Pls explain

Hi nikhilbhide,

To answer your question we first need to understand the structure of the passage.

1st PARA : During the 1960's and 1970's, local governments in the United States were looking for the primary economic development of their community/town. They opted a strategy -- this strategy was usually implemented at another community's expense.

2nd PARA : In the 1980's the strategy shifted from this zero-sum game to one called “high-technology development,” in which local governments competed to attract newly formed high-technology manufacturing firms.

3rd PARA : third strategy: the promotion of homegrown small businesses.

As can be understood from the above structure and reading the details of each para, the author is talking about 3 strategies out of which the first 2 did not worked well due to some limitations. The tone of author for the 3rd strategy is positive and optimistic. So, local governments have increasingly come to recognize the advantages of it.

Now, coming to the question,

(C) acknowledge and counter adverse criticism of programs being used to stimulate local economic development
The author is simply reviewing and evaluating the 3 strategies as mentioned in the passage. Also, only the limitations are mentioned for the first 2 of the above mentioned strategies. There is no direct and adverse criticism which is countered by the author. Also, only the 3rd strategy is acknowledged by the author, because of the optimistic view of the author we can say this. So option C is incorrect.

(E) review and evaluate strategies and programs that have been used to stimulate economic development
Correct Answer. As discussed above.

Hope it clears your doubt. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
-Varun

Kudos [?]: 25 [2], given: 88

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 14:45
aceGMAT21 wrote:
nikhilbhide wrote:

Hi nikhilbhide,

To answer your question we first need to understand the structure of the passage.

1st PARA : During the 1960's and 1970's, local governments in the United States were looking for the primary economic development of their community/town. They opted a strategy -- this strategy was usually implemented at another community's expense.

2nd PARA : In the 1980's the strategy shifted from this zero-sum game to one called “high-technology development,” in which local governments competed to attract newly formed high-technology manufacturing firms.

3rd PARA : third strategy: the promotion of homegrown small businesses.

As can be understood from the above structure and reading the details of each para, the author is talking about 3 strategies out of which the first 2 did not worked well due to some limitations. The tone of author for the 3rd strategy is positive and optimistic. So, local governments have increasingly come to recognize the advantages of it.

Now, coming to the question,

The author is simply reviewing and evaluating the 3 strategies as mentioned in the passage. Also, only the limitations are mentioned for the first 2 of the above mentioned strategies. There is no direct and adverse criticism which is countered by the author. Also, only the 3rd strategy is acknowledged by the author, because of the optimistic view of the author we can say this. So option C is incorrect.

Correct Answer. As discussed above.

Hope it clears your doubt. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
-Varun

Thanks aceGMAT21 for the detailed explanation!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 11:43
All correct - relatively easy passage.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 66

Re: During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 11:43

During the 1960's and 1970's, the primary economic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap