Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Smeal Penn State Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Saswat: Sahu
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-30-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Smeal (Penn State) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Wondering if any current student can comment on the situation of scholarships and financial aid for international students?
Also how easy is it to obtain GA's from other departments?
On a side note, as a current student what are the three things you would describe in a prospective student that would make him/her a perfect fit for the school provided the stats are on par with the school's requirements.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Smeal '17 (A)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Smeal (Penn State) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
Hi!

I'm a class of 2017 student. From my perspective and observation

1) In the class of 2017, ~80% of students were given a graduate assistance ship (tuition waived off, subsidized insurance and a stipend). With a good gmat score (minimum of 700 for International applicants), good essays and interview, you stand a high chance of getting a GA.

2) There is no such rule for being a perfect fit. It is specific to a person, based on your prior work-ex, expectations out of an MBA programme ( large peer group vs. focused small group etc.), and where you want to go after your MBA. So a school being a good fit or not depends on factors like these.

Hope it helps. Do let me know or PM me if I can be of more help.

MutatisMutandis wrote:
Wondering if any current student can comment on the situation of scholarships and financial aid for international students?
Also how easy is it to obtain GA's from other departments?
On a side note, as a current student what are the three things you would describe in a prospective student that would make him/her a perfect fit for the school provided the stats are on par with the school's requirements.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Send PM
user26 Thanks for the information. That was really helpful.
One more information. Though the expenses and tution fees are mentioned already in the website.
Can you please let me know - What would be the approximate spending in full time MBA considering we work somewhere part-time?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Saswat
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Again, I can talk only from my perspective while answering this. I am not sure what you mean by part time here. Just to clarify
1) You will mostly get an assistanceship (assuming your whole application is good and you apply early)
2) Beyond GA work, you really will not have any time to work part time.

And to answer your question
1) With a GA, your total expense for both a years (considering a not so lavish lifestyle) will come to less than 15 lacs. Again, it depends on your lifestyle. You can close it under 10 lacs too.
2) Typically your major academic expense would be books, global immersion trip (around 4k $), trips to career fairs and so on. You don't have to spend anything else if you are on a GA.
3) Typical living expense will be around 800- 900 per month and you should be getting around 600 in stipend as part of your GA. So you'll be spending about 200- 400 $ per month out of you pocket.
4) If you can convert your GA into 20 hr a week in the second year, you'll get stipend of ~1,200 p.m net, which will more than cover all your typical expenses.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Saswat89 wrote:
user26 Thanks for the information. That was really helpful.
One more information. Though the expenses and tution fees are mentioned already in the website.
Can you please let me know - What would be the approximate spending in full time MBA considering we work somewhere part-time?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Saswat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '18 (A)
Send PM
hello. can anyone please inform where to upload resume and essays in penn state application. i can't find a link to the page where i can upload documents.thanks in advance.
Ishita
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ishitathukral wrote:
hello. can anyone please inform where to upload resume and essays in penn state application. i can't find a link to the page where i can upload documents.thanks in advance.
Ishita

Hello Ishita,

Once you log in to the application through below link, you will see "Program Specific Questions" in Application Steps column.
https://www.gradschool.psu.edu/apply/

Here you will find an option to upload the essay as shown below.

What other schools are you applying for?
Attachments

psu.JPG
psu.JPG [ 55.87 KiB | Viewed 13935 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '18 (A)
Send PM
Hi. Thanks applying to state universities. Michigan, ohio
.purdue, olin.
Need to think of more. Would prefer a scholarship.
What about you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ishitathukral wrote:
Hi. Thanks applying to state universities. Michigan, ohio
.purdue, olin.
Need to think of more. Would prefer a scholarship.
What about you?

I am applying to Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State in Round 1.
Depending on the decisions, I will apply to other schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can someone help me with the below question?
There is a field in the application to enter GPA. There is also instructions on how to enter GPA in below link.
https://secure.gradsch.psu.edu/app/gradapp/edu/gpainstructions.cfm

In this link, it says
Quote:
For applicants from universities with numerical/percentage grades

(Other than those with a 4-point scale)

Leave the GPA field blank.
Use the"Additional GPA & Test Score Notes" section to list the numerical average of courses completed in your junior and senior years (last two years of your degree).
Include the grading scale used by your university.

If I leave the GPA field blank, the application does not show as complete.
I have a CGPA of 8.81 out of 10. How do I report it on the 0 to 4 scale?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
@aravinth545-Did you get a solution for this issue?...I am also facing the same problem.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ddb wrote:
@aravinth545-Did you get a solution for this issue?...I am also facing the same problem.

Hi ddb,

I don't have a solution yet.
I have an email to the admissions office at Smeal.
I will let you know once I get a reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
@aravinth545-Thanks for replying.Please post once you get the reply.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

I too came across this issue last year, but i think I left it blank and it worked for me. I would suggest that you reach out to the admissions team here on this. They are very helpful people and will clarify soon. Meantime, I will also try to find out and let you know.

aravinth545 wrote:
Can someone help me with the below question?
There is a field in the application to enter GPA. There is also instructions on how to enter GPA in below link.
https://secure.gradsch.psu.edu/app/gradapp/edu/gpainstructions.cfm

In this link, it says
Quote:
For applicants from universities with numerical/percentage grades

(Other than those with a 4-point scale)

Leave the GPA field blank.
Use the"Additional GPA & Test Score Notes" section to list the numerical average of courses completed in your junior and senior years (last two years of your degree).
Include the grading scale used by your university.

If I leave the GPA field blank, the application does not show as complete.
I have a CGPA of 8.81 out of 10. How do I report it on the 0 to 4 scale?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
user26 wrote:
Hi

I too came across this issue last year, but i think I left it blank and it worked for me. I would suggest that you reach out to the admissions team here on this. They are very helpful people and will clarify soon. Meantime, I will also try to find out and let you know.

user26
Thank you for your support. Please let us know when you find out.

By the way, could you comment on what Smeal looks for in every candidate in their application?
(For example, Leadership or Teamwork or something else?)
Send PM
user26 aravinth545

Hopefully they are not charging anything extra for this conversion to a 4 point scale 8-)

Or do we need to get it done through WES ?

And updates from the adcom team?

Cheers
Saswat
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM News Penn State: Advice When Considering an MBA
Recently, I became the Admissions Operations Manager for the MBA Program, and, thus, I am the newest member of the Admissions Team. I have been with the MBA Program for 10 years and prior to joining Admissions, I served as the Student Services Representative for the program. During my time in Student Services, I had the opportunity to work with nearly 1000 students and it has provided me with a unique perspective on what student life entails. Based on my observations, below are a few things to think about when choosing an MBA program.

-Fit – One of the first things you will discover is that the Smeal MBA Program is a family. Our students pitch in together for everything from a tailgate to a job search. If a student sees a job posting that would be a good fit for a classmate, it gets sent to that classmate. For some students, this is the right environment for them. What it comes down to is finding the right fit for YOU.

-Time – Life as an MBA student is a busy one. Between class, team meetings, and the job search, it can be difficult to find outside time. Keep in mind whether or not this is the right time for you to make a two year commitment to your education.

-Opportunities – I know I mentioned that life is already busy for students, but it is important to take advantage of the additional opportunities that are afforded to MBA students. Student Associations will often have trips to meet with companies and learn more about their process. Alums come back to campus to mentor and guide current students. Case competitions allow students not only an educational experience, but also typically offer prize money. Making the most of these possibilities can provide you with a more well-rounded MBA experience.

-Have Fun – If you come to Penn State, hike Mount Nittany. Visit the Penn State Creamery…often. Go to a concert at the Bryce Jordan Center. Take in an exhibit at the Palmer Art Museum. Your educational experience is much like life – you get out of it what you put into it. Make that time two of the most important years of your life.

-Susan K. Winarchick, Penn State Smeal MBA Admissions Operations Manager
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM News Penn State: Smeal Honor Code
Greetings from Happy Valley!

The Smeal Honor Code, started by Penn State Smeal MBA students in 2006, is a pledge that holds the Smeal community accountable for upholding integrity and ethical behavior.

The code reads: “We, the Smeal College of Business community, aspire to the highest ethical standards and will hold each other accountable to them. We will not engage in any action that is improper or that creates the appearance of impropriety in our academic lives, and we intend to hold to this standard in our future careers.”

Earlier this month we held our biannual Honor Code signing, a special tradition in the Smeal College of Business community. Each semester, students, faculty, and staff sign the Honor Code to reaffirm their commitment to integrity and ethical behavior, and members of the community also volunteer to staff the signing area. Those who sign the Honor Code also have the option to receive an e-certificate, confirming their participation in the Honor Code signing, that they may add to their LinkedIn profile.

View our short video to learn more about the college’s commitment to integrity and why current students sign the Honor Code.

Jen Eury, Ph.D.

Director of Honor and Integrity

Smeal College of Business

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts