Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Smeal (Penn State) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
FROM News Penn State: Making the Most of a Preview Day
You’ve been invited to a Smeal MBA Preview Day. It’s time to prepare, especially if you’ve also been invited to interview. Consider ways to maximize your visit.

You’ll receive a schedule for the day in advance. Review the schedule and determine whether there is anything else you might like to see or anyone else you might like to meet. Let us know as soon as possible what those activities may include so we can advise you or even make arrangements for you.

You’ll be meeting with staff from admissions, career services, employer relations, and student services. Make a list of any questions you have for each of these areas.

Where are you in the admissions process? Are you just starting to consider MBA programs or have you decided that Penn State Smeal is one of your top choice schools? What questions do you need to have answered to narrow down your choice of programs? What is your greatest barrier or barriers to pursing graduate business education? Are you concerned about costs, do you have multiple priorities and stakeholders to consider, or are you exploring academic readiness or employment issues? Be prepared to talk with current students and staff about class sizes, teaching styles, support services, and anything else you may be curious about.

Consider your background, our curriculum, and your short-term and long-term goals. Are any questions coming to mind for you? Hopefully you have some questions about your future! Questions related to goal planning, employers visiting campus and graduate outcomes are good places to begin when you meet with our career services and employer relations team.

The student services team supports our MBA students in their overall student experience, from classroom to career. Direct any questions you may have about life inside and outside of the classroom to our student services staff. What questions do you have about housing, co-curricular activities, academic advising and scheduling, global and leadership immersion programs, or any other questions related to a student’s MBA experience at Smeal?

You’ll have three opportunities to meet and talk with current students. Your first opportunity will be during Coffee Buzz which occurs between morning classes and just before you sit in on a class during your visit. Talk with current students about your academic and career interests. You’ll begin to expand your network very quickly as our current students connect you with their peers. Lunch will be hosted by current students. Faculty and staff will not be present during lunch. We encourage our current students to talk openly and honestly with prospective students because we want to make sure incoming students are a good fit with our program. It’s good to ask about challenges, concerns, and even disappointments. To close the day, you’ll have ice cream at Berkey Creamery with a group of current students.

Your final session includes time with our program director and faculty liaison. Ask any questions that arose throughout the day, during your class session, and about academics. This is a great time to learn more about why classes are structured the way they are and how you might make the most of a Smeal education.

Preview Day is exactly that – a preview. If you met a great student contact, email them with follow up questions. If you don’t remember who you met, work with an admissions staff member and we’ll get you in contact with the right person.

Throughout the day assess your comfort level about whatever is most important to you. Be sure to have fun too!

Brenda Fabian

MBA Associate Director of Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Smeal (Penn State) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
In for round 2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Smeal '17 (A)
Send PM
Hi Guys!

If any of you are applying from Chennai or other parts of tamil nadu which are affected by floods and had trouble with the Round 2 deadline, please reach out to me or to any one in the Admissions Committee about this. Smeal Ad Com will be more than happy to help you on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Buddy,

'In' means? Round 2 Deadline was 1st December. Have they rolled out any invites/results for this?
Or did you apply early?

atl12688 wrote:
In for round 2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sj0070 wrote:
Hi Buddy,

'In' means? Round 2 Deadline was 1st December. Have they rolled out any invites/results for this?
Or did you apply early?

atl12688 wrote:
In for round 2

By gmatclub convention, I am 90% sure "In" means application submitted in round 2.
:)
Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Haha.. learning newbie :) Thanks.

Ralphcuisak wrote:
sj0070 wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Or did you apply early?

atl12688 wrote:
In for round 2

By gmatclub convention, I am 90% sure "In" means application submitted in round 2.
Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any invites for the 1st Dec deadline, and can someone please share his/hers prior interview experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Quick question. Does Smeal require official GMAT and TOEFL score to be sent directly before application is considered? Or will an unofficial score/scan suffice?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Not yet heard on DEC 1st deadline. waiting desperately
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Same here. I think we might get invites next week. Long wait.
:(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AM2015 wrote:
Quick question. Does Smeal require official GMAT and TOEFL score to be sent directly before application is considered? Or will an unofficial score/scan suffice?

I think official GMAT report needs to be submitted before the application is considered. You might be better off calling them and confirming or dropping an email to smealmba@psu.edu . Unofficial/ scanned toefl is fine according to https://mba.smeal.psu.edu/apply/internat ... quirements .

Kudos please if this helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well this was really fast.
Interview done.
Round- 1st Dec Deadline

Invite 8th Dec, Interview done- 11th Dec.
Interview- Conversational, very articulate and about 45 mins. General questions and some specific.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM News Penn State: Ways MBA Aspirants Can Maximize the Holidays!
Across the world, many holidays are celebrated at the end of the calendar year. Holiday celebrations often come with time off, travel, and opportunities to connect with family and friends. Aside from taking a little time to rest and relax (a crucial part of staying healthy and productive!), the holidays can also be a good time for reflecting on the business school search and application process AND doing a little work to get ahead in the new year.

Some Ideas…

While students often leave university campuses in mid-December and don’t return until early to mid-January, staff is often working during some of the break. Don’t assume you can’t plan a visit just because students are gone! While it is IDEAL to visit when students are on campus and classes are in session, getting the time off from work or other obligations just may not work for you. Depending on your situation, this could be a good time to get some one on one time with an admissions officer or program staff—especially if you live close enough that could again visit in the spring when classes are back in session. If this is your only option, planning a campus visit during down time is much better than not planning one at all. Not all programs will offer this—and options may be limited—but it can never hurt to ask. (Side note: Many schools will shut down completely for about two weeks—please be patient with us if email response time is delayed during this time).

Maybe you haven’t seen Uncle George or Cousin Sara for awhile but they’ll be coming to town for a visit. While they are family first, they might also have had illustrious careers, have graduate degrees, and could be a wealth of professional information! Take the conversation to the next level. Sometimes we overlook great resources that are right in front of us. One word of caution—people might just need a break from work and might not want to talk about their career while they are decompressing during a holiday break. Be sensitive to this, and offer up the suggestion to connect after January 1st if the middle of Christmas Eve dinner doesn’t seem like the best place to talk about career goals.

Traveling? Others are too! Schools might have current students or alumni also going to a city near you who are willing to meet you for coffee. Start with the admissions office and inquire. Sometimes the stars align and you can connect while on the road.

The internet is 24/7. Have you been meaning to get on LinkedIn and start making some connections, exploring career opportunities, digging deeper into social media to learn more about b-school, what alumni are up to, etc.? Curl up in your pajamas and snuggle in with your tablet. No one says good research can’t be conducted while eating some potato pancakes or drinking a cup of egg nog!

Take time for reflection. The start of the new year is a good time to clarify what you need to do as you prepare for your journey into the world of the MBA. Depending on where you are in the application process, you’ve likely already done a lot of thinking and planning. There’s always, however, a next step to think about and plan for.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy end to 2015!

Stacey Dorang Peeler, MBA Admissions Director

Stacey Dorang Peeler at the GMAC Conference in 2015
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sj0070 wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Or did you apply early?

atl12688 wrote:
In for round 2

Yes I apologize, i just meant submitted. But one of my recommenders submitted late so I'm not sure how it will affect my application status. I really hope they allow for round two. No interview invite yet so it might have :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Oh Well.. I think i need time to digest this!
So here we go-

Application Deadline- 1st Dec
Interview Invite- 8th Dec
Interview complete- 11th Dec
Admission Result- 14th Dec (About 30 mins back)

Admission Decision- Admitted (Full ride)

Wohooo...!
Thank you everyone in this forum for all the assistance! A newbie got first admit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
sj0070 wrote:
So here we go-

Wohooo...!
Thank you everyone in this forum for all the assistance! A newbie got first admit!

Congratulations :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sj0070 wrote:
So here we go-

Wohooo...!

sj0070 , And a great first offer at that! Congratulations!
I wish you many more successes ahead mate!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts