GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 09:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 11:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:25) correct 47% (01:28) wrong based on 158 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low faculty/student ratios perform better on standardized tests than students who attend schools with high ratios. Therefore, homeschooling is the best option because the student and parent can work one on one.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens this argument?

A Standardized test results for homeschooled students show that scores are highly related to the parent-teacher’s level of education.

B Standardized test results from larger schools that require teachers to have a Master’s degree are comparable to test results for students from smaller

C Studies show that homeschooled students struggle socially.

D Standardized test results for homeschooled students show the same range of scores as scores for students from large schools.

E Private schooling is prohibitively expensive for many families.

Testguide
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 12:06
Is it D coz C is not mentioned?
Cheers!
Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.79
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 12:14
The argument is that homeschooling is the best way for students to perform well on standardized tests because it has the lowest teacher to student ratio.

A is correct because it basically says that homeschooling is only good if the parent/teacher is high highly educated. So in some scenarios home schooling could actually be the worst choice
B, C, & E are incorrect because they are completely irrelevant and their is no proof that these will affect students scores.
D is incorrect because range is affected by outliers and is not reliable for comparing scores between schools.

Please gives kudos if you thought this post was useful.

Looking for a study partner in Toledo, Ohio. My most recent practice test was Q48 V38 700. Aiming for 760+.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.79
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 12:28
karthikkaushik91 wrote:
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

No problem. You should give kudos instead of saying thanks. Its one of the rules of posting. :cool:

Please gives kudos if you thought this post was useful.

Looking for a study partner in Toledo, Ohio. My most recent practice test was Q48 V38 700. Aiming for 760+.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 20:46
Why is D not an answer ? We are comparing the scores of students, then why are we choosing A over D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 22:20
Hello all,

I believe D to be the answer because A does not weaken the argument as much as D does. A just talks about the level of education, so obviously in some cases homeschools could still be a better option for some students.

However, D states that the score ranges are same in both the cases. Thus, according to the argument that homeschooling would be a "better alternative"....is weakened by the claim that scores remain same ("not better").

Plzz correct me if anyone finds any mistake.

Thanks !!

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 04:33
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Hello all,

I believe D to be the answer because A does not weaken the argument as much as D does. A just talks about the level of education, so obviously in some cases homeschools could still be a better option for some students.

However, D states that the score ranges are same in both the cases. Thus, according to the argument that homeschooling would be a "better alternative"....is weakened by the claim that scores remain same ("not better").

Thanks !!

I eliminated D because it talks about the 'Range'. What if the ranges in this case are better? This will not weaken the argument. Thats what I think. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Do What Your Heart Says....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 06:35
MrCleantek wrote:
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks !!

I eliminated D because it talks about the 'Range'. What if the ranges in this case are better? This will not weaken the argument. Thats what I think. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Yes D talks about the fact that range of scores is same and not better, thus, the argument claiming that scores get better is weakened.

Thus, option D takes a firm stand against the argument.

I don't understand why should it not weaken the argument.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 06:46
While analysing an argument it is very important to understand what premise led to the conclusion. Here, the conclusion is: homeschooling is the best. Why? Because of smallest ratio of parent (teacher) and student. Note the causality: smaller ratio=better results. Considering this, let us look at the options:

A Standardized test results for homeschooled students show that scores are highly related to the parent-teacher’s level of education. This gives us another reason for good scores. That is, higher the education level=better the results. Weakens our causal relationship by some degree. Hold.

B Standardized test results from larger schools that require teachers to have a Master’s degree are comparable to test results for students from smaller. Okay, but we are not concerned about large schools with specific set of requirements for teachers. We are looking at schools and ratios in general and if there are/is any other reason for the test results. Also, we have no idea about the requirements of smaller school and if the levels of education of teachers has any influence on scores of tests. Incorrect.

C Studies show that homeschooled students struggle socially. Irrelevant. Incorrect.

D Standardized test results for homeschooled students show the same range of scores as scores for students from large schools. Do large schools necessarily mean bigger or smaller teacher-student ratios? No information on this part. We cannot assume this as well. Incorrect.

E Private schooling is prohibitively expensive for many families. Irrelevant. Incorrect.

Hence, A.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:39
urvashis09 wrote:
D Standardized test results for homeschooled students show the same range of scores as scores for students from large schools. Do large schools necessarily mean bigger or smaller teacher-student ratios? No information on this part. We cannot assume this as well. Incorrect.

I equated large school with bigger teacher-student ratios. CR is BRUTAL AF.
Re: Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 11:39

Educational research shows that students who attend schools with low f

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap