GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 02:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:57) correct 35% (02:05) wrong based on 257 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would require a research-and-development push that would directly trade off with our R&D efforts on five other products. Plus, a line of MP3 players - another product we have discussed developing - has an inherently higher profit potential than a line of smartphones and would be cheaper to manufacture.

The electronics manufacturer's statements, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

(A) Developing a line of MP3 players would not trade off with the R&D efforts on an other products.
(B) The manufacturer is more likely to make money by developing a line of MP3 players than it is by developing a line of smartphones.
(C) Developing a line of smartphones would be a bad business decision for the manufacturer.
(D) The manufacturer will make money if it develops a line of MP3 players.
(E) The only new product that would be profitable for the manufacturer is a line of MP3 players.

Source: McGraw Hill LSAT

Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 11:17
amathews wrote:
Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would require a research-and-development push that would directly trade off with our R&D efforts on five other products. Plus, a line of MP3 players - another product we have discussed developing - has an inherently higher profit potential than a line of smartphones and would be cheaper to manufacture.

The electronics manufacturer's statements, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

a) Developing a line of MP3 players would not trade off with the R&D efforts on an other products.
b) The manufacturer is more likely to make money by developing a line of MP3 players than it is by developing a line of smartphones.
c) Developing a line of smartphones would be a bad business decision for the manufacturer.
d) The manufacturer will make money if it develops a line of MP3 players.
e) The only new product that would be profitable for the manufacturer is a line of MP3 players.

Source: McGraw Hill LSAT

This is good one ...my reasoning on this:
A---we dont know weather it will trade off other product ..may be / may be not
B--yes , as suggested in last line of the argument ---
C-- again the decision is bad or good , it will depend on future stats .
D-this is very stong --will make money ....B is good here
E--this is again very stong---we can eliminate it
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Re: Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 23:13
isn't option B is already stated in stimulus ? , its more like inference Q,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 02:36
nks2611 wrote:

Yes this is a inference question as per the question stem. Therefore , its answer is justified.
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 23:35
anje29 wrote:
nks2611 wrote:

Yes this is a inference question as per the question stem. Therefore , its answer is justified.

The statement says - 'higher profit potential by making MP3 Players'. That doesnt directly mean 'more like to make money' or is it? If it said 'more like to make more money' then it would be more likely to be more accurate :)

Just asking because I eliminated this answer choice since it says 'make money' and not 'make more money'. Nowhere does the passage say that by manufacturing smartphones the manufacturer will not make any money at all. Please explain.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 01:03
Bhavanahiremath wrote:
The statement says - 'higher profit potential by making MP3 Players'. That doesnt directly mean 'more like to make money' or is it? If it said 'more like to make more money' then it would be more likely to be more accurate :)

Just asking because I eliminated this answer choice since it says 'make money' and not 'make more money'. Nowhere does the passage say that by manufacturing smartphones the manufacturer will not make any money at all. Please explain.

The argument is saying two things:

1. Developing a line of smartphones would require R&D and would tarde off with 5 other products.
2. A line of MP3 players is more profitable and is produced at low cost.

We need to Infer something out of this. Let's do it using POE.

(A) Developing a line of MP3 players would not trade off with the R&D efforts on an other products. : Too extreme. How do we know it would not trade off. No such information is given and this cannot be inferred.

(B) The manufacturer is more likely to make money by developing a line of MP3 players than it is by developing a line of smartphones. : Yes, even if they both require same trade off with the 5 other products, we know the the latter is more profitable. Hence, the chances of making money in latter case is more. Hence, correct answer.

For those who are confused why we don't have more money here: Consider a scenario when we are using the same amount of Money for manufacturing the two products. While the former may not given any profit, the latter will for sure give some profit (if sold at the same price) as we know that the latter is manufactured at a lower cost.

(C) Developing a line of smartphones would be a bad business decision for the manufacturer. : Ohh. How can you say it is a bad business??

(D) The manufacturer will make money if it develops a line of MP3 players. : Will make money. Aren't we too confident here? I would always reject this option.

(E) The only new product that would be profitable for the manufacturer is a line of MP3 players. No Man, I have another product which could be more profitable. So, that will break your point. Hence, incorrect
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 05:23
anje29 wrote:
nks2611 wrote:

Further to this, be mindful that paraphrased answer choices are correct in Inference Questions. Hence B is correct.

Profit margins are greater on MP3s than it is on smartphones implies that, if the company sells 1 MP3 and 1 smartphone, it will likely make larger profitable income on selling the MP3 than is the case by selling smart phones. The same is stated in answer.

Hope this helps.
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jul 2017, 08:36
Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would require a research-and-development push that would directly trade off with our R&D efforts on five other products. Plus, a line of MP3 players – another product we have discussed developing – has an inherently higher profit potential than a line of smartphones and would be cheaper to manufacture.

The electronics manufacturer’s statements, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

A) Developing a line of MP3 players would not trade off with the R&D efforts on an other products.
B) The manufacturer is more likely to make money by developing a line of MP3 players than it is by developing a line of smartphones.
C) Developing a line of smartphones would be a bad business decision for the manufacturer.
D) The manufacturer will make money if it develops a line of MP3 players.
E) The only new product that would be profitable for the manufacturer is a line of MP3 players.

Source: I found it a very good question. I am sorry I am not aware of the source but would love for due credits to be added so if anyone knows the source, please post it here so that I can request mods to add it to the question.

Originally posted by jedit on 14 Jul 2017, 08:26.
Last edited by jedit on 14 Jul 2017, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:34
B is more likely to be the winner.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:44
deepmaity wrote:
B is more likely to be the winner.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You are very right. I edited OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:56
jedit wrote:
Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would require a research-and-development push that would directly trade off with our R&D efforts on five other products. Plus, a line of MP3 players – another product we have discussed developing – has an inherently higher profit potential than a line of smartphones and would be cheaper to manufacture.

The electronics manufacturer’s statements, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?

A) Developing a line of MP3 players would not trade off with the R&D efforts on an other products.
B) The manufacturer is more likely to make money by developing a line of MP3 players than it is by developing a line of smartphones.
C) Developing a line of smartphones would be a bad business decision for the manufacturer.
E) The only new product that would be profitable for the manufacturer is a line of MP3 players.

Source: I found it a very good question. I am sorry I am not aware of the source but would love for due credits to be added so if anyone knows the source, please post it here so that I can request mods to add it to the question.

Its an inference question so any answer choice that goes out of the given info is wrong
A--->well R&D compromise only when it has to research on smartphone line but we cant infer that the department will compromise its effort for MP3 line
B--->yes this is the answer the argument says that it can generate profit and cheaper to manufacture...B says it is likely...the statement isnt using he xtreme words but saying that it is likely that it will make profit more than through smartphones
C--->we cant infer such an extreme result
D--->we cant say that it will make money, what if the company wont be able to sale enough players to generate profit?
E---->again extreme conclusion
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 12:46
jedit wrote:

This question is NOT a strengthen question. This question should be categorized as a MBT or inference question.
Verbal Forum Moderator
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 09:21
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
Re: Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2017, 09:21

Electronics manufacturer: Developing a line of smartphones would

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap