GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

EMBA Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
EMBA Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 19:04
Hello,

I am 32 (Indian, M) and plan to write GMAT/Executive Assessment next year. I have some family thing going (expecting my first child next month) so I want to take some time to build my profile.

My current profile (at a high level):

1) 11 years in IT Consulting in Pharma domain (Clinical Trials). Currently working as Associate Manager in MNC (Fortune 500). I manage $1-2 M contracts on annual basis.
2) Strong leadership focus, client engagement, contract/financial/resource management, business delivery etc.
3) Last 6 years worked in USA, before that in India
4) Excellent record in company, received promotions on time with highest peer rating. Won almost all available awards.
5) B.Tech in Computer Science from India (Final score - 75%, top 20% in batch)
6) Interest in adventure sports

I want to add following to my profile besides studying for GMAT/Executive Assessment (trying for GMAT for more school coverage):

1) HBX Core
2) Harvard Graduate Certificate in Strategic Management
3) MBA Math (currently pursuing)
4) Certificate in Public Health
5) Learn French

If I am able to score good on GMAT/Executive Assessment, do you think the above profile is good enough for EMBA at schools such as Wharton, INSEAD and LBS?

Thanks
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: EMBA Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 02:49
Hello dacoffee

It is good that your are planning ahead both personally and professionally :-)
Remember that to assess your profile for the likes of Wharton, INSEAD, LBS one must also understand your profile qualitatively.
While your 'stats' look decent the devil is hidden in details such as- what did you do in these 11 years in terms of career progression and achievements (awards & ratings are not achievements they are results)? Details on extracurricular activities that you have been associated with for long term and impact on such activities. What are your career goals, especially since you have extensive work ex, how will an MBA help you.
Admission factors mentioned herethings will help understand your profile holistically and make it easier to give personalized suggestions a to what you should be doing.
Based on the generic info be prepared to get generic feedback such as-
1. Aim for a high GMAT score (740+)
2. Showcase the need of an MBA in your essays since you already have 11 years of work ex and would be an outlier
3. Bring out your diversity since you belong to the most competitive pool of applicants, so that you can set yourself apart
4. Set career goals that are realistic and fit the school's profile as well (You can add to your research on career goals here)
If you want personalized advice share information that is unique to you (vs someone with similar stats)
Should you have further questions let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

dacoffee wrote:
Hello,

I am 32 (Indian, M) and plan to write GMAT/Executive Assessment next year. I have some family thing going (expecting my first child next month) so I want to take some time to build my profile.

1) 11 years in IT Consulting in Pharma domain (Clinical Trials). Currently working as Associate Manager in MNC (Fortune 500). I manage $1-2 M contracts on annual basis.
2) Strong leadership focus, client engagement, contract/financial/resource management, business delivery etc.
4) Excellent record in company, received promotions on time with highest peer rating. Won almost all available awards.

I want to add following to my profile besides studying for GMAT/Executive Assessment (trying for GMAT for more school coverage):

1) HBX Core
5) Learn French

If I am able to score good on GMAT/Executive Assessment, do you think the above profile is good enough for EMBA at schools such as Wharton, INSEAD and LBS?

Thanks

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: EMBA Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 05:19
dacoffee wrote:
Hello,

1) HBX Core
5) Learn French

Thanks

dacoffee
Rather than putting all of your emphasis on certificates and the like, unless you need to remedy a specific problem I think your time would be better spent at Toastmasters and/or basically building something that's going to help the admissions committee relate to you an individual, personal and emotional level.

Reading essay after essay of accomplishments becomes quite dull and the best way to differentiate yourself (especially other Indians) is to come across as a whole person, multifaceted with interesting hobbies and strong areas of contribution in the community.

If I struck up a conversation with you at a cocktail party would it end up being a delight or would I regret it? Would you have anything interesting to say?

The goal is for the admissions committee to get to know you and is difficult for them to do that through the GMAT or certificates but much easier for them when you were speaking in universal and relatable terms about things within their domain

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: EMBA Profile Review &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 05:19

EMBA Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap